Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:22 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 13 November 2014 - 10:24 AM.

I haven't yet started watching this show but i sure do plan on it. How would you guys say its ranked? Is it as good as the wire and breaking bad?

The Sopranos is my first love but the Wire is sort of smarter in a social, economic, political and philosophical way. However, the Sopranos is harrowing just like the Wire and the writing can be just as intelligent and beyond The Wire when it wants. The advantage The Sopranos has is the Italo-American Mafia banter which offers so many laughs throughout the show but it doesn't turn it in to a joke, it's still a drama drenched with funny moments. 

If you love The Wire, you wont be disappointing with The Sopranos. (I've watched both shows 3 times)

@feckyerlife: I don't see any similarities between Walter White and Tony Soprano. Please elaborate.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

if you love The Wire you'll love The Sopranos at least as much.

easily.

I think Sopranos achieves higher quality consistency (over so many years) while The Wire has a couple of weak seasons, but they're 2 of the best dramas ever made, hands down. if you've watched Wire and haven't seen Sopranos (or vise versa) you're seriously missing out.

• Mister Pink likes this

SimsDaniel916
  • SimsDaniel916

Future LE Officer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:57 AM Edited by SimsDaniel916, 15 November 2014 - 03:53 PM.

-

robertsk37240
  • robertsk37240

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:39 AM

Excellent show, but the ending was weird.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

Excellent show, but the ending was weird.

Ending was genius, it was constructed with immense thought and the editing apparently took a very long time. What did you find weird about it?

Banana
  • Banana

Ghetto Star

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:28 AM Edited by Banana, 21 November 2014 - 03:29 AM.

Yes, the ending is incredible. I can understand how someone would get confused after seeing the finale for the first time. I got my friend to watch the show and he's loving it as well. After seeing this topic I'm probably watch the series again. :^:
  • Mister Pink likes this

SimsDaniel916
  • SimsDaniel916

Future LE Officer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

For me the ending was pretty depressing, especially as I watched it of the first time soon after James Gandolfini's death.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Just watched Pine Barrens

Holy sh*t that was a good episode

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Peeling potatoes like a pro

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted A week ago

if you love The Wire you'll love The Sopranos at least as much.

easily.

I think Sopranos achieves higher quality consistency (over so many years) while The Wire has a couple of weak seasons, but they're 2 of the best dramas ever made, hands down. if you've watched Wire and haven't seen Sopranos (or vise versa) you're seriously missing out.

I would like to add Deadwood to these two. Yes, it was canceled after 3 seasons and no it's not as contemporary as The Sopranos and The Wire. But I'll be damned if it's not even more brilliant.

I'm watching The Sopranos these days as well. But I had time only for the first 4 episodes so far. The funeral at the end of the 4th episode is so brilliant.

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted A week ago

Deadwood is at least as good as the Wire and Sopranos if not better, but it's so short, and a lot fewer people have actually seen all 3 seasons. I bring it up every time we talk about the best shows on TV but it usually gets passed over. I don't think a lot of people here on GTAF have even seen it.

they should... especially if they think they love Red Dead Redemption.

X S
  • X S

Miss LS Organizer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted A week ago

I never actually sat down to watch Deadwood, but considering I love Western themes, I will definitely watch it.  I have HBO GO, so this should be easy.

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted A week ago

Deadwood is incredibly underrated to this day because it didn't have an 'all-star' cast and there wasn't a lot of Hollywood hype around the show during it's 3 seasons. there are several prominent actor names in the show but (at the time) they were not on the same level as James Gandolfini and his crew. and yeah, it didn't last more than 3 seasons but only because HBO had decided it was "too expensive" to maintain; nothing to do with ratings or reviews.

Deadwood was hailed by critics as a masterpiece almost universally.

but by the time they really started writing about it, the show was already coming to an end. but it's absolutely incredible and anyone who enjoys The Wire or Sopranos would absolutely love it.

Deadwood is like modern Shakespeare.

it's an amazing experience with some of the most memorable characters I've ever come to know.

now.

BEGIN!

thedriver111
  • thedriver111

Fast & Furious - Best Series Ever

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

One of my all-time favorite shows, but I haven't seen it in awhile. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Peeling potatoes like a pro

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 21 hours ago

I'm at season 3 right now. This scene gets me every time. Junior is freakin' hilarious.

• Mister Pink likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users