The Sopranos

36 replies to this topic
El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

I love this series, but I can never find any episodes of it on British TV. I remember they showed it on Channel 4 a few years back. Is it shown on any channels, or are they going to repeat it anywere? Thanks, help much appreciated.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Apr 8 2009, 21:57)
I love this series, but I can never find any episodes of it on British TV. I remember they showed it on Channel 4 a few years back. Is it shown on any channels, or are they going to repeat it anywere? Thanks, help much appreciated.

Channel 4 or More4 is the only place you'll find it on TV these days. Other than that it's the DVDs.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Apr 8 2009, 21:06)

Channel 4 or More4 is the only place you'll find it on TV these days. Other than that it's the DVDs.

But, I don't think they're planning on showing them currently or in the near future, as far as I know. Or are they? confused.gif

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Apr 8 2009, 22:07)
QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Apr 8 2009, 21:06)

But, I don't think they're planning on showing them currently or in the near future, as far as I know. Or are they? confused.gif

You can try e-mailing Channel 4 and if you're really lucky you'll get a response from them.

I would suggest that you look on The Sopranos microsite on Channel4.com but it looks like it hasn't been updated since Season 5, Part 1 was first shown so maybe you could try on one of the Channel 4 forum boards they have on there.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Mensch I Natur I Technik

• The Precinct
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:41 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 12 November 2014 - 02:00 PM.

If you can, buy the series. It's probably one of the great things I've ever seen. It will be really worth it. 

• Forty likes this

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

Horny

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:40 PM

I bought all the DVDs and like I said in another topic, they are worth every penny. It's a shame they aren't shown on TV more but it is a finished series. Saying that, E4 rerun Friends to a stupid degree so I don't see why they can't give Sopranos a rerun.

I'd like to see it on BBC tbh. Adverts suck and they'd ruin the episodes for me having seen them all on DVD.

siray
  • siray

Vaas

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

best thing I ever saw on TV!

sorry for the bump

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

sorry for the bump

I actually used the search function to try and find a topic about this show yesterday and couldn't find anything, so I'm glad you bumped it.

I just finished the final episode a few minutes ago and I don't even really know what to make of it, but this is easily the best show I've ever watched from start to finish.

I'll be going through the entire show at least once more in the near future.

• siray likes this

siray
  • siray

Vaas

• BUSTED!
  • Brazil

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

sorry for the bump

I actually used the search function to try and find a topic about this show yesterday and couldn't find anything, so I'm glad you bumped it.

I just finished the final episode a few minutes ago and I don't even really know what to make of it, but this is easily the best show I've ever watched from start to finish.

I'll be going through the entire show at least once more in the near future.

Don't use the search function ever again,google is your best friend

I have watched the whole series 3 times,wish I could get that feeling of finishing the last episode right now

I advise you to read about it on multiple forums,including IMDb message boards

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, I looked around a bit, but I think I pretty much understand how it ends...

Spoiler

I'm actually starting the first season over again at some point today. Such a great show. I'm afraid I'll never find another show nearly as good.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:48 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 25 February 2014 - 09:48 PM.

yes.

Spoiler

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:25 AM Edited by W3BB13, 26 February 2014 - 12:26 AM.

Spoiler

So I just read that the entire series will never be available on blu-ray. Damn shame.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:31 AM Edited by Forty, 26 February 2014 - 12:31 AM.

Finding some way to own the series is definitely worth it, even if it means borrowing from the internet on a long term basis.

I will be the first to admit that others shows might be better, such as Breaking Bad, The Wire, possibly Game Of Thrones. However, nothing is as close to my heart or forever etched into my personal pop culture archive like The Sopranos. It's my favorite series of all time, hands down.

Just talking about it makes me want to watch the whole thing over.
  • El Diablo and W3BB13 like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

Finding some way to own the series is definitely worth it, even if it means borrowing from the internet on a long term basis.

I will be the first to admit that others shows might be better, such as Breaking Bad, The Wire, possibly Game Of Thrones. However, nothing is as close to my heart or forever etched into my personal pop culture archive like The Sopranos. It's my favorite series of all time, hands down.

Just talking about it makes me want to watch the whole thing over.

couldn't agree with all of this more.

The Sopranos started it all.

some people say that The Wire started it all, and while The Wire came first (and is indelible, unforgettable drama) I honestly believe that it was still The Sopranos that carried premium cable to the upper echelons of dramatic film making which transitioned from the silver screen to television. I can talk about a lot of these shows until I go blue in the face, but most of them don't necessarily require immediate re-viewing. when I start talking about The Sopranos it just gets into my blood and I can't stop thinking about how much I want to relive the whole experience.

probably the only other show I feel that way about is Deadwood.

if anyone here has ever seen Deadwood, you know exactly what I'm getting at. it might be the only thing in the world to rival The Sopranos, second-only because it fell short at just 3 seasons before HBO pulled the funding.

• Forty likes this

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:52 AM Edited by Forty, 26 February 2014 - 05:54 AM.

I honestly believe that it was still The Sopranos that carried premium cable to the upper echelons of dramatic film making which transitioned from the silver screen to television.

Agreed 100%. It was the first premium cable series of note that become a cultural phenomenon. It was also the first hugely popular show of 100% adult content. Before that, everything was primetime family acceptable programming, and people cursing in an episode like NYPD Blue was front page news.

There were other HBO shows around that same time: The Wire, Oz, Six Feet Under, but none had the same inimitable level of style and charisma that The Sopranos had. And none were as popular. I mean everyone watched it.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but I've only ever seen two episodes of Deadwood.
  • El Diablo likes this

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Tommy.

• The Yardies
  • Cocos-Keeling-Islands
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

The Sopranos is the greatest TV show ever. Breaking Bad and the others don't even come close imo.

• W3BB13 likes this

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:57 PM Edited by W3BB13, 26 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

The Sopranos is the greatest TV show ever. Breaking Bad and the others don't even come close imo.

I'm with you.

Obviously everyone has different opinions, but I've never been able to get into Breaking Bad or any of these other shows the way I got hooked on The Sopranos. With TS it was like as soon as every episode ends I immediately wanted to move onto the following episode to find out what happens next. I've never felt that way with BB or any other show.

I'm already working my way through the first season again.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

I honestly believe that it was still The Sopranos that carried premium cable to the upper echelons of dramatic film making which transitioned from the silver screen to television.

Agreed 100%. It was the first premium cable series of note that become a cultural phenomenon. It was also the first hugely popular show of 100% adult content. Before that, everything was primetime family acceptable programming, and people cursing in an episode like NYPD Blue was front page news.

There were other HBO shows around that same time: The Wire, Oz, Six Feet Under, but none had the same inimitable level of style and charisma that The Sopranos had. And none were as popular. I mean everyone watched it.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but I've only ever seen two episodes of Deadwood.

This entire post, even down to the bit about Deadwood. I keep meaning to find it online but it's getting harder and harder to find places to watch online.

I've been rewatching The Sopranos for the last few months now (again) and I'm about 5 episodes from the end, its a bittersweet feeling. This whole rewatch has had a different feel since James Gandolfini died. The show has aged fantastically and I honestly can't see a time when the themes and the symbolism loses its potency.

Every rewatch you understand the show that bit deeper. sh*t, I mean, a friend and I had a drunken conversation the other day about the significance of food as an indication of power relationships in the show and how it all ties in to Italian culture. I could write a damn dissertation on the symbolism of food alone in The Sopranos, haha.

• El Diablo likes this

Forty
  • Forty

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

Excellent points, especially about the food. Food is such a powerful and ever-present theme in the series.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

you should immediately rectify this by visiting the nearest electronics store and buying the complete 3 season box set.

there's literally nothing you will regret less than finally seeing this show.

if you like The Sopranos - if you like The Wire, or Oz, or Six Feet Under, or Breaking Bad, or any of the like - you will be absolutely astounded by the diamond-in-the-rough that is Deadwood. it met without great fanfare in the mainstream media but with massive critical acclaim and steady ratings; it was only cancelled for cost prohibitions with each episode reaching almost a million dollars. but that's because it was perhaps the most singularly dense, detailed, and finely crafted fictional world I have ever seen. hands down. Deadwood might be the most complete drama ever made.

all the way around.

acting, writing, direction, cinematography, pacing, editing, set design, costumes. flawless.

everything from the way the characters speak to the mannerisms of the world itself just demands attention and respect.

it's utterly Shakespearean.... except that it takes place in the gritty reality of frontier life post-Civil War.

if you love anything about great film or drama you have to see Deadwood.

Every rewatch you understand the show that bit deeper. sh*t, I mean, a friend and I had a drunken conversation the other day about the significance of food as an indication of power relationships in the show and how it all ties in to Italian culture. I could write a damn dissertation on the symbolism of food alone in The Sopranos, haha.

I would have to say that this is also something you realize with Deadwood.

in the years since we bought the complete set, I've probably re-watched it almost 10 times and you always discover something new. the people and events of Deadwood have staggering depth.

guess I've derailed this topic enough but I always want to spread the word about it.

anyone who likes The Sopranos would fall in love.

• Max likes this

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Easily one of my most favorite episodes of the series:

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

So David Chase has talked about the prospect of a Sopranos prequal. This may seem like a silly question but iss this something people would like to see??

Source

X S
  • X S

Miss LS Organizer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

So David Chase has talked about the prospect of a Sopranos prequal. This may seem like a silly question but iss this something people would like to see??

Source

James Gandolfini was the Sopranos.  I'd have a hard time believing he could resurrect it as a prequel and have it live up to the originals.  But, David Chase is a pretty brilliant guy.  I wouldn't mind watching Junior and Johnny Boy Soprano run mob rule on the streets of Newark during the late 50's and early 60's.  We still don't know how Johnny Boy died, other than some mentions that he died of sickness.

Also, nice bump.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:34 PM Edited by feckyerlife, 10 November 2014 - 09:35 PM.

Source

it would be totally different than the show.  None of the orginial actors would be in it, it would be a new show completely. That said, i thought he wanted to make a prequel movie. also would he bring winter back? I would hope its more like soprano's and less like boardwalk.

SimsDaniel916
  • SimsDaniel916

Future LE Officer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

I've recently started re-watching this series on Amazon Instant Video. The acting, the story, all so well done. 

Sad watching it knowing Gandolfini passed.

MLGTA
  • MLGTA

Espionage

• Members

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:47 PM

I haven't yet started watching this show but i sure do plan on it. How would you guys say its ranked? Is it as good as the wire and breaking bad?

X S
  • X S

Miss LS Organizer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

I haven't yet started watching this show but i sure do plan on it. How would you guys say its ranked? Is it as good as the wire and breaking bad?

I literally have not watched another show since.  I never felt anything could ever live up to it because it took so long for other TV networks to develop comparable shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men.  It was really the first of its kind.

I'd have to say "Pine Barrens" is my favorite episode.  I never died laughing so hard watching Paulie and Christopher fight over ketchup and relish packets.

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

Pine Barrens is by far one of the best episodes ever.

as for this Sopranos prequel, I think it's actually pretty interesting considering that it came from Chase himself.

if it was anyone other than David pitching the idea then I'd be pretty worried.

but there's a lot that they could do with an idea like this if they treat it carefully.

and Chase would definitely give it the proper respect.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

Source

James Gandolfini was the Sopranos.  I'd have a hard time believing he could resurrect it as a prequel and have it live up to the originals.  But, David Chase is a pretty brilliant guy.  I wouldn't mind watching Junior and Johnny Boy Soprano run mob rule on the streets of Newark during the late 50's and early 60's.  We still don't know how Johnny Boy died, other than some mentions that he died of sickness.

Also, nice bump.

Thank you :)

Johnny Boy died of emphysema in 1984. It would be nice to see the old days of the DiMeo family but then again there is no great need to revisit the world of the Sopranos especially since Gandolfini's death. With TV shows I think prequals are never really needed but in most cases they are welcomed by the fans. I really can't see a prequal living up to the greatness of the original series though.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

to me its better than both. i always thought a little bit of walter white was ripped off tony soprano

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users