» «
Photo

Mountain beyond Ghost Town!

8 replies to this topic
Ghett0
  • Ghett0

Dodo Pilot

• Members

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:29 PM Edited by Ghett0, 05 April 2009 - 06:07 PM.

I flew east of ghost town towards the Portland shoreline, and I found a weird mountain wall with only a few meters draw distance. Maybe R* started to work on a 4th Island? The orange on the map ended at the strange mountain wall. I'll try pausing and setting my Z high up, I think those places with the odd names on the map might actually exist.

EDIT: There's another if you take the south-east runway and fly along the edge of the map. Screens:

user posted image

user posted image

Look in the upper right hand corner and you can see it on the last one.

lloydo
  • lloydo

Count

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

You'll have to show a bit more, i can't really make ouy the pic's even though their masssive.

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

I think they are there to show an indication of land carrying on, this also explains the limited draw distance.

Vinnie
  • Vinnie

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

If you're driving a boat or you have the draw distance at full they're just to make it look like Liberty City isn't in the middle of nowhere.

Bullet_Chris
  • Bullet_Chris

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Vinnie @ Apr 21 2009, 20:13)
If you're driving a boat or you have the draw distance at full they're just to make it look like Liberty City isn't in the middle of nowhere.

That reminded me of an ideea.What if the borders of the world would be endless land(procedurally generated like the water in SA).That would add more realism.

Vinnie
  • Vinnie

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

Here are some clearer images I took which should be easier to view than the OP's.

user posted image

The above picture is the behind of these mountains, it is clear that they are not completed as they are hollow and they do not have anything behind of them, neither are they solid, you can fly right through them.

This is image is right near Ghost Town.

user posted image

This image is showing the moutains from a distance in Portland, as you can see it just makes the "world" look neater as there is nothing else in the GTA III universe past these apart from sea which because of the draw distance in GTA III just looks like it ends square into nothing, these mountains clearly are there to neaten things up.

user posted image

Just another view of them from Staunton.

rebel_36
  • rebel_36

dot connectah

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:00 AM Edited by rebel_36, 24 April 2009 - 11:04 AM.

it is clear that they are not completed as they are hollow and they do not have anything behind of them, neither are they solid, you can fly right through them.

just because theres nothing behind them doesnt mean theyre not completed from a developers point of view.

i dont think he means these mountains anyway since everyone knows them, he wrote "There's another if you take the south-east runway and fly along the edge of the map." which would be south of the map.

Vinnie
  • Vinnie

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

just because theres nothing behind them doesnt mean theyre not completed from a developers point of view.

Obviously they're complete for their purpose. Which is scenery.

bravo351
  • bravo351

MTA's Baddest Cop

• Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

It's really too bad the Open Tunnels and North State mods for the PC version have apparently died. Both made a LOT of headway in completing these hollow mountain lines. I've played around with them myself in MeD, and there's a lot that can be done there; but so far the GTA3 conversion mod to the San Andreas engine seems the best bet for the additions, as the map limits are dynamic.

As for GTA3 developers leaving something undone, I believe they crammed as much possibility into the original engine as they could in 2001. And the base game itself was WAY ahead of its time!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users