» «
Photo

Where are my GTA IV save games?

17 replies to this topic
francomg
  • francomg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:07 PM Edited by francomg, 04 April 2009 - 07:12 PM.

I've already read where the GTA IV folder should be in my PC but it ain't there. I use Vista Home Premium 64
C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

it's not there. I can see inside my documents folder Rockstar games/GTA IV but inside GTA IV there are only 3 folders, benchmarks, user music and videos, there isn't a folder named saved games for GTA IV. Please help me where is the damn folder??? I have 64% of game completed but I have no clue where is the save games for GTA IV. I want to make a backup.
If this folder should be inside Rockstar games/GTA Iv folder and it's not there where is it???
I installed the two DVD's of GTA IV when I bought the game and don't remind not installing any thing I was asked to. I don'know abot windows live games, I never played this game online , only single player. I'm not sure if I have to install a windows live software or something like that to have my GTA IV saved games folder??? Can anyone explain to me why I can't find my GTA IV saved games??? I have even tried a searching using Vista search tool but I can't find it.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

Are you using Xliveless? If so, the location will be: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\

Try searching for this: SGTA4*

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Then you must have a very bizarre Vista because I just checked and the save games are in the :-

c:/Users/"your useraccount"/Appdata/Local/Rockstar Games/GTA IV

folder

francomg
  • francomg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:30 PM Edited by francomg, 04 April 2009 - 07:40 PM.

Thanks for replying buddy. I don't know what is this Xliveless stuff. See, I've never played the game online before, only single player. I have already finished the game, I have 64% of game completed and I just want to backup my save games.
I bought the game 2 month ago and installed it normally but I don't recall it asking me to install Xliveless software.
Inside my documents folder I can find Rockstar games/GTA IV but inside GTA IV there are only these 3 folders, benchmarks, user music and videos, there isn't a saved games folder. I tried searching for SGTA 4 and there's nothing. I also can't locate no files named Xliveless, I think it might not be installed in my PC. How do I install Xliveless, where can I find it?? If I install this program then I'll be able to find my saved games???
It's weird if I have 64% of game complted where is the save games, this is very weird????

I have C:/users/<user>/documents/Rockstar games/GTA IV but inside GTA IV no save games folder, only benchamarks, videos and user music folders.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

Erm, no, you don't have to install Xliveless. It's just a mod that enables you to load other savegames and disables multiplayer. And it's the only known mod that changes the default path of the savegame folder, so I assumed you might be using it.

It seems to be a very weird problem. Have you searched the entire hardrive? Your savefiles will be named from SGTA400 to SGTA412, where the last 2 digits stand for the slot that you have saved the game in. Try searching for these files specifically.

francomg
  • francomg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

If I type SGTA with capital letters or not in windows vista search tool, nothing appears, there are no SGTA files in my system at least the tool can't locate them. That's so f*cked up, how can I play the game normally and have 64% of game completed??? Where is this data stored, saved, this is very weird.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

Oh jeez, I completely forgot about this Vista feature. Try this;

Start > Games > Right-click on Grand Theft Auto IV > Saved Games

This should directly take you to the savegames folder.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Apr 4 2009, 20:49)
Oh jeez, I completely forgot about this Vista feature. Try this;

Start > Games > Right-click on Grand Theft Auto IV > Saved Games

Ohhhhhh you aren't just a pretty face girishb wink.gif never actually knew you could do that in Vista but just tried it and it works like a charm.

thales100
  • thales100

TripleHeader

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Apr 4 2009, 19:49)

Yes nice one. colgate.gif

francomg
  • francomg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

Thanks a lot buddy. It worked yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Thats weird, it says it's here C:\Users\francomg\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV but I coudn't find it I don't know why, Unless I tried your way, that's very weird. Somehow I think this appdata/local folder was hidden or something cause I cound't locate it.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (francomg @ Apr 5 2009, 01:26)
Thanks a lot buddy. It worked yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Thats weird, it says it's here C:\Users\francomg\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV but I coudn't find it I don't know why, Unless I tried your way, that's very weird. Somehow I think this appdata/local folder was hidden or something cause I cound't locate it.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the attribute of the folder will not get in the way of the search if you have administrative access to that folder.

However, even when I tried searching for my own savefiles using the search feature in Vista, it only came up with 'SGTA410' when I have savefiles for every slot. Probably got something to do with the indexing feature; not sure though.

From the location you mentioned, it seems that you were looking in the GTA IV folder of the wrong user. Anyways, glad that you found it finally. Enjoy the game! smile.gif

francomg
  • francomg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:17 PM Edited by francomg, 04 April 2009 - 08:19 PM.

But anyway that's very strange cause where I found the saved games folder for GTA IV , there are also user music and a settings folder.
In my documents folder there is also another Rockstar Games/GTA IV folder which contains videos, benchmarks and also another user music folder which is the one I actually use to store my own mp3's and listen to it using Independence FM. Why there are two user music folders in different locations, that's very odd???
and No, there are not two users, only one which is me francomg, but if I go to this folder, francomg, I can not see this folder Appdata, only if I used the method you told me to right click GTA IV icon. That's so strange buddy.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (francomg @ Apr 5 2009, 01:47)
and No, there are not two users, only one which is me francomg, but if I go to this folder, francomg, I can not see this folder Appdata, only if I used the method you told me to right click GTA IV icon. That's so strange buddy.

That's because the Appdata folder is hidden. You have to unhide all folders to view it.

Btw, I also have a Rockstar Games\GTA IV folder in My Documents. Not sure what it is there for, but you can try shifting all your mp3's from this folder to the other User Music folder in Appdata location and see if it works. If it does work, then I guess we can just conclude it to be an alternative folder for the same.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

I have a question. I reinstalled the game --> then installed Patch 1.0.3 --> launched GTA IV --> signed into Live --> quit.

I decided to return my savegames so I copied both Xlive and R* Games folders but when I launched the game I saw the message from Live that my key was incorrect.
I typed my serial, signed in but my savegames were not in the "Load game" menu at all.

So what can i do? Perhaps I shouldn't have signed into Live first?

(Sorry for bad english).

TheRealPcGamer
  • TheRealPcGamer

The Master of PC Games

• Members

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

@Street mix = Maybe this is about the "Revoke" problem.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

Chances are that a new user folder was created in the savegames folder and you copied your savegames to the previous user folder which would not work. How many folder starting with 'user_' are there in the savegames folder? If there are more than one, try copying your savefiles from one to another. If that doesn't help, start a new game and save the game once so that a savefile is created in the appropriate folder. That's where you should be putting the rest of your savefiles.

Nietzsche's God
  • Nietzsche's God

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:36 AM

Can't find GTA IV saved games???

It's in purgatory... die and see to find out where are the files.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Chances are that a new user folder was created in the savegames folder and you copied your savegames to the previous user folder which would not work. How many folder starting with 'user_' are there in the savegames folder? If there are more than one, try copying your savefiles from one to another.

Yes! this works. Thanks again man. smile.gif Backupping save games wasn't so hard as I thought before.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users