Photo

RAM Issue...I think

10 replies to this topic
kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

So, I built my machine in early September of last year, and found out that one of my RAM sticks had died in the journey from a Dell to my new machine. Saying as it was my first machine, I put it down to either me breaking it somehow or some sort of static issue. Anyway, I bought 4GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz RAM, and everything was all good, working fine, then last week I went to turn on my PC and *whiiirrr*...nothing. Normally my motherboard beeps thrice (strange really, instead of regular beepcodes my mobo counts the connected USB devices), but this time it just kept the fans spinning, no display, no boot, no beeps. Hoping it might just go away, I left it unplugged overnight, and then when it still wouldn't boot the next day, I resetted the CMOS just to be certain. No dice, so I started testing things, first thing I did was take out one of the sticks, and lucky for me I guess, everything booted fine, the one stick passed the memtest, while just the other stick still wouldn't boot. No problem there then, I thought, I'll just get it RMAd and I'll be good to go.

While the RAM was being replaced, I stuck the rest of the still alive 667MHz DDR2 from the Dell in to act as a replacement and to test the slots - everything was good, so it reinforced my idea that it was just the RAM, as did my sticks being certified as broken by OcUK.

However, today I got my replacements, put the sticks in and, rather to my annoyance, the problem still persists, and now the PC just gets stuck in a power loop. I tried every combination the sticks could be in, and while I haven't had enough time to test properly, it looks like I have another dead stick.

So my question is, saying as I don't believe this could be a coincidence, is there another factor that could be killing the RAM, for example a motherboard problem, or could it be a software/BIOS issue (saying as so far the 667 sticks are working fine)?

Specs that could be of some significance:

- Mobo: MSI Neo2-FR, P35 (Supports up to 8GB of 800MHz DDR2)
- PSU: Tagan Force-II 600W
- Dead RAM: Corsair XMS2, 800MHz
- Live RAM: Some generic brand, 667MHz

Sorry about the essay, got a little carried away. Thanks folks.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

There could be only two thing wrong here, as far as I can tell. One is your mobo and the second is your PSU.

Power fluctuations can cause the RAM to go dead, but since it happens so constantly with the same stick, I doubt this possibility.

The mobo would be the last thing that would cause this. From what I know, your mobo has 4 RAM slots. I'm assuming you're trying your 2 sticks of RAM in either slots 1&3 or slots 2&4 only. Whichever combination you're using, I'd try switching to the other one to see if it makes any difference. Also, I'm assuming that you haven't upped the FSB frequency on any of the 2 sticks.

Also, I'd suggest using 2 matched sticks. If possible, get rid of the 667MHz one and get a 800MHz one to go with the Corsair.

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

Yeah I have 4 slots, have tried 1&3 and 2&4, stock settings, to no avail unfortunately. And I have only been using matched pairs, I haven't been mixing frequencies, when one of the 800s died I switched to entirely 667. See what confused me is that all the slots work perfectly with the 667, they work fine with one of the 800s, but it seems like it doesn't like one stick for some reason.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

When you tested the RAM do I understand you correctly that you tested each stick separately and together and in each slot?

I tried going to MSI's site and looked at the page for that mobo but it only list which brands they tested but not the models, which could have a factor.

Personally I would just ask for a refund on the Corsair and get OSZ or Kingston HyperX
I had 2 sets of Corsair value RAM, yeah I know not nearly as much quality control as the XMS, and they came up bad as well (one set about 1000times worse then they other) so got a refund and bought some Kingston HyperX. with my new/current rig I went with OCZ Platinum and everything seems fine so far.

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Apr 1 2009, 22:19)
When you tested the RAM do I understand you correctly that you tested each stick separately and together and in each slot?

I tried going to MSI's site and looked at the page for that mobo but it only list which brands they tested but not the models, which could have a factor.

Personally I would just ask for a refund on the Corsair and get OSZ or Kingston HyperX
I had 2 sets of Corsair value RAM, yeah I know not nearly as much quality control as the XMS, and they came up bad as well (one set about 1000times worse then they other) so got a refund and bought some Kingston HyperX. with my new/current rig I went with OCZ Platinum and everything seems fine so far.

My Black Dragon DDR2 from Geil is great, however, it refuses entirely to overclock to anything above 887, it crashes my PC at 835
so I've decided to leave it at 800.

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (elanman @ Apr 2 2009, 00:13)
My Black Dragon DDR2 from Geil is great, however, it refuses entirely to overclock to anything above 887, it crashes my PC at 835

Hai faiv!

I so have the same ram as you, you simply can't beat the sexy red eyes on the ram sticks.. Even if you can't see them most of the time.

Oh, and it's fast and stuff. tounge.gif

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

First thing I would do is update the BIOS.

Then try the sticks, if they still don't work, it's your board. Either RMA or get a new board.

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

Thanks folks, I guess I'm lucky that I have some RAM that actually works, so the first thing I'll try is a BIOS update if one's available.

Correct, but whenever the second stick is present it won't boot at all, just power cycles.

If nothing works I'll try to get a different brand like Wolf suggested, and if that still doesn't work I'll try and replace the mobo. It's just confused me more than anything that after 7 months at stock settings (well my CPU was overclocked but the RAM was at stock freq and stock voltage) it should suddenly stop working.

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Starion @ Apr 1 2009, 23:54)
QUOTE (elanman @ Apr 2 2009, 00:13)

Hai faiv!

I so have the same ram as you, you simply can't beat the sexy red eyes on the ram sticks.. Even if you can't see them most of the time.

Oh, and it's fast and stuff. tounge.gif

The Red Eyes look awesome with a sidepanel tounge.gif .

kingvercetti
  • kingvercetti

Is this the real life?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:02 PM Edited by kingvercetti, 04 April 2009 - 08:33 PM.

Well whatdaya know, I updated the BIOS and it all booted fine, wouldn't of thought it'd be that simple. Running memtest now, fingers crossed it turns up clean. Thanks for the help fellas. smile.gif

Edit: Okay so just out of curiosity, can overclocking my CPU but keeping all stock voltages and not messing with the RAM damage the RAM? I've got the FSB at 333 so the CPU is at 3GHz with 1.325v, Auto (default) voltage for RAM, with the FSB/RAM ratio at 1:2, leaving my RAM at 799MHz. This looking alright?

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

Yeah, that looks alright, but overclocking the RAM won't really damage it. I have a 800MHz stick running at 983MHz on stock volts and it's fully stable in Orthos, Prime, etc.

Just remember to give it a bit more juice if you manage to take it over 1000MHz.

Oh and btw, since you have some good RAM, you should try and see how much you can push those sticks. You never know, you might even reach 4GHz!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users