» «
Photo

Short Story of the Month Competition

32 replies to this topic
saltinespike
  • saltinespike

Tired Marine

• Members

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:41 AM Edited by saltinespike, 01 April 2009 - 05:48 AM.

SHORT STORY
of the month
COMPETITION

April 2009
Welcome to the April edition of the Short Story of the Month Competition. New month, new theme, awesome room for magnificent stories. Last month was a magnificent turn out, thank you to all who entered and may I extend my congratulations to the winner. Without further ado, onwards we go. Best of luck to everyone!

The Theme
Post-Apocalyptic Era

The Rules
- Stories should be 'short', which is open to your own interpretation; just remember, people here have to read them, so length is only an issue as far as readability goes! The guideline would be between 1000 and 2000 words, although anything shorter or perhaps even longer is acceptable.
- Once completed, pieces must be both posted in Writers' Discussion and PMed to me with a link to the piece for reference.
- Pieces must be submitted by the 24th of April in order for voting to take place.

The Previous Winners
March 2009
Author: Vercetti21
Title: Madhouse Blues
Theme: Silence

February 2009
Author: Exclusiv3
Title: The Cuban-American Frankfurter Wars
Theme: Transformation

January 2009
Author: ToyMachine
Title: Virginia
Theme: Anarchy

December 2008
Author: Candarelli
Title: "That Man Named Francis"
Theme: Loss of a Loved One

November 2008
Author: The Unvirginiser
Title: The Best Christmas Present I've Ever Had!
Theme: Christmas Horror

October 2008
Author:Iminicus
Title: Lonesome
Theme: Isolation

September 2008
Author: Eminence
Title: Freedom
Theme: Getaway

August 2008
Author: Struff Bunstridge
Title: All Is Darkness
Theme: Fantasy

Footnotes
- Please be advised that it is strongly encouraged to make a separate topic for competition entries. It is not required, but know that separate topics will only do good in that they are easier to recognize, organize, and will get more attention.
- Due date on pieces this month, I repeat, is the 24th of April, which leaves us the customary seven days of voting. On the 25th, voting will have already begun and pieces for April will no longer be accepted.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:42 AM

Very, very sweet theme for this month. ph34r.gif I've already got an idea in mind.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

Very unique this time, should spawn some interesting pieces.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

This is what I've been waiting for.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Might give this a bash when I ahve some time

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

Zombies and nuclear bombs spring to mind...

But I'm not going down that cliched path, need to think. dozingoff.gif

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

I might take this chance.

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

Not my usual thing to experiment with. Might sit this out, might not.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

I actually have a couple of weeks holiday coming up, and have been playing Fallout 3 lots recently, so I might just enter this. tounge.gif

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ Apr 1 2009, 09:22)
But I'm not going down that cliched path, need to think. dozingoff.gif

Unique genres are definitely encouraged this time around. Romantic, comedic, or (insert rare WD genre here) tales set in this era will get extra kudos from me.

Lochie_old
  • Lochie_old

Fudging Boring Idiots

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (mark-2007 @ Apr 1 2009, 20:42)
I actually have a couple of weeks holiday coming up, and have been playing Fallout 3 lots recently, so I might just enter this. tounge.gif

Same, this is gonna be awesome.

Ronmar The Only
  • Ronmar The Only

Storyteller, Plus Hopeless Romantic.

• The Connection

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Hmm, I have some ideas, one in particular, but can we, or at least I, have some clarification on what Post-Apocalyptic Era exactly means. I mean, one could say that Japanese society and culture could be Post-Apocalyptic considering they are the only group of people ever to have an atom bomb dropped on them.

The main thing that I would like to know is, has Judgement Day occurred and carnage all that's left?

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

It's really up to your interpretation, Ronmar. You could base a story around survivors of the apocalypse, or suggest a figurative apocalypse as well. Uniqueness is key this month.

major underscore
  • major underscore

The GTAF Moralist

• Members

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Ronmar The Only @ Apr 2 2009, 11:43)
Hmm, I have some ideas, one in particular, but can we, or at least I, have some clarification on what Post-Apocalyptic Era exactly means. I mean, one could say that Japanese society and culture could be Post-Apocalyptic considering they are the only group of people ever to have an atom bomb dropped on them.

The main thing that I would like to know is, has Judgement Day occurred and carnage all that's left?

I think that this Wikipedia article sums it up pretty well (at least this is my understanding of the post-apocalyptic fiction sub-genre):

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Apocalyptic fiction is a sub-genre of science fiction (or, in some cases, the more general category speculative fiction) that is concerned with the end of civilization through nuclear war, plague, or some other general disaster. Post-apocalyptic fiction is set in a world or civilization after such a disaster. The time frame may be immediately after the catastrophe, focusing on the travails or psychology of survivors, or considerably later, often including the theme that the existence of pre-catastrophe civilization has been forgotten (or mythologized). Post-apocalyptic stories often take place in an agrarian, non-technological future world, or a world where only scattered elements of technology remain. There is a considerable degree of blurring between this form of science fiction and that which deals with false utopias or dystopic societies.

I think that the key phrases here are "the end of civilization through nuclear war, plague, or some other general disaster" and, specifically for post-apocalyptic fiction, "set in a world or civilization after such a disaster". Japanese society certainly changed after WWII, but the Japanese civilization did not "end".

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

More to the point, I think that while we're all here throwing definitions of "post-apocalyptic" here, there and everywhere, we're forgetting that this is personal. The term "post-apocalyptic" could refer to a fictional or factional downfall of a chosen civilization or person. Hell, it could even signify the end of a relationship where the woman meant everything, world included, to the poor sod who lost her for whatever reason.

Let your hair down, and please don't box yourselves in. I don't say it as a rule, I say it as a plea.

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:40 AM

Masterkraft hit the nail on the head. You don't have to be so literal about what "apocalypse" is, or worry about how it happened. It's the writer's job to tell the story. A metaphorical apocalypse is encouraged though.

major underscore
  • major underscore

The GTAF Moralist

• Members

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:17 AM Edited by major underscore, 03 April 2009 - 12:27 PM.

I'm not saying that anyone has to stick to the classic definition of the sub-genre of post-apocalyptic fiction; I'm just stating what it is, as I understand it, since the question was asked. Providing that definition seems to have sparked some deepening of the theme though, and possibly some interested angles that writers can benefit from.

One approach to this theme that someone may be interested in pursuing would be a layered approach, where the story is told set in a classic post-apocalyptic world where an apocalypse has also occurred (or is about to occur) in a metaphorical sense.

EDIT: I've posted a SSOTM April entry of my own, Going Postal.

The Unvirginiser
  • The Unvirginiser

You ain't gettin' your tings?!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

Dissapointedly, I've gone with the cliche'd choice here. I really should have expanded my mind, but oh well. Check out 'Beautiful End', when you get a chance.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

With 10 days to go, there's still plenty of time to write an entry. This is just a reminder as things are looking slim this month. That isn't to say this month's entries aren't already fantastic, but last week was fantastic in terms of entrants and their numbers. Keep it up, folks!

saltinespike
  • saltinespike

Tired Marine

• Members

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

Including today, yes. Please remember, everyone, entries are due the 24th this month. I said it two times in the opening post and I'm saying it again. I want no confusion with voting this month.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Well, I so wanted to enter this month, but I honestly couldn't be f*cked. I've wasted a great oppurtunity here, I'm such a lazy bastard.

The Unvirginiser
  • The Unvirginiser

You ain't gettin' your tings?!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ Apr 15 2009, 20:46)
Well, I so wanted to enter this month, but I honestly couldn't be f*cked. I've wasted a great oppurtunity here, I'm such a lazy bastard.

You have ten days left Matt, get your arse in gear lad.

Write one about two radioactive cockroaches f*cking.

Oxidizer
  • Oxidizer

• The Connection

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

Or about al-Qaeda. ph34r.gif

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (The Unvirginiser @ Apr 15 2009, 21:05)

I shall be called Cocks and Cochroaches!

I thank you William for that wonderful idea.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ Apr 15 2009, 21:15)

Why not one about how the end of the world has been brought upon by that freaking inbred dog in your sig? And explain the symbolism of the pink rifle too, if possible wink.gif

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Apr 15 2009, 21:18)

Why not one about how the end of the world has been brought upon by that freaking inbred dog in your sig? And explain the symbolism of the pink rifle too, if possible wink.gif

The dog was dead. I looked upon it's dead carcass with tears flowing from my eyes, rolling down my cheeks. The pink rifle I had in my hands had shot and killed it, I had slaughtered the mongrel. I fell to my knees, rifle still in hand. I mourned poor Bertie's death, I had gunned that bitch down..

Like that?

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ Apr 15 2009, 21:22)

The dog was dead. I looked upon it's dead carcass with tears flowing from my eyes, rolling down my cheeks. The pink rifle I had in my hands had shot and killed it, I had slaughtered the mongrel. I fell to my knees, rifle still in hand. I mourned poor Bertie's death, I had gunned that bitch down..

Like that?

It's inspirational. Your member title does not lie...

Are you the chosen one to lead us against the rebellion of the retarded dogs?

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Apr 15 2009, 21:26)

Like that?

No. I pass that honour down to you, my son.

Make me proud boy. Make your old papa proud...

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Chunk @ Apr 15 2009, 21:29)

Like that?

But, but I am not ready! cryani.gif I will have to learn, it will come with time and age...

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Apr 15 2009, 21:30)
QUOTE (Chunk @ Apr 15 2009, 21:29)

Like that?

But, but I am not ready! cryani.gif I will have to learn, it will come with time and age...

Time and age? f*ck that! You're what now, 12? If you're old enough to butter your own toast, you're old enough to kill some spastic animals!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users