» «
Photo

GTAF-Enhanced

26 replies to this topic
GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:33 PM Edited by GTArv, 22 April 2009 - 06:40 AM.

GTAForums being a website that I frequent, I wrote a stylesheet to remove a few annoyances. GTAF-Enhanced is just a collection of a couple of minor tweaks. Just thought I'd share it here, in case someone might find it useful. This requires Firefox or Opera, and will work with any skin.

What it does:
  • Get rid of those annoyingly large images - Images will be constrained to 700x625, so that you don't have any more stretchy pages. Images which have been resized are indicated by an orange border. Hover over the image to view in full size.
  • Larger text input - Text size in text boxes will appear larger so you don't have to squint to check what you type.
  • No more annoyingly small text - Mouse over to read in normal size.
  • Smarter Code - Large code will be cropped, with a scrollbar, to avoid longish pages.
  • Smarter Quote - No more page-long quote trains. Quotes will be cropped, with a scrollbar.
  • Curb Logout Links - Although a minor annoyance, logout links (The direct ones aleast) will now be highlighted in red and will blink, signalling that you're about to be tricked. ph34r.gif
  • More Solid Medals - Medals next to posts will no longer be semi-transparent. Once you mouse over, they will not disappear until you mouse out, so that you can read the awards at your leisure and click the links.
  • Better Report Monitoring - Report count in the Mod CP will now appear much larger, so that its easier to keep track.
  • Improved Quick Comment - The Quick Comment feature in the Mod CP will now comfortably accept two lines of text, for those who'd like to type out long comments. A scrollbar will pop up if you want to type even more.

Installation - Firefox
  • If you don't have it already, get the Stylish add-on for Firefox here.
  • Click here.
  • Click on "Load into Stylish"
  • Save it.
  • You're now all set. To disable this enhancement, uncheck the checkmark right next to the enhancement's name in Stylish's main window.
To update the style, bring up Stylish's main window and click on "Find Updates..."

Installation - Opera
  • Download the stylesheet from here (Right Click Link » Save Linked Content As...) , and save it to someplace safe on your hard drive.
  • When you're at GTAF, Right Click » Edit Site Preferences... » Display
  • Under "My Stylesheet" option, click on choose and select the stylesheet you had saved earlier.
  • Click on OK to complete installation.
To update this style on Opera, download a newer version and overwrite the older stylesheet you had saved.

Happy Browsing!

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

Ahh, glad you finally posted this. Personally, I love the cropping of long codes/quote part and the resizing of large images. I'm pretty sure many people will find it useful. Once again, good job, Arv. smile.gif

nerner
  • nerner

OG

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

Nice job, I am going to install tomorrow, when i have some free time. I hate pictures that are too large and screw up the window size.

.AshRemains
  • .AshRemains

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

I love this! Finally no more huge quote trains, thanks alot!

XMike
  • XMike

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

I would use this but I can't download Stylish. It says it is for older versions of FF. I guess it's because I have the beta.

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

Cheers for the feedback. Just discovered that you can use this with Opera as well, instructions are in the first post.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (XMike @ Mar 29 2009, 05:10)
I would use this but I can't download Stylish. It says it is for older versions of FF. I guess it's because I have the beta.

Err, why do you still have the beta version? I have tested this on v3.0.7 which is the latest stable release and it works like a charm.

Toadyd
  • Toadyd

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

He must be using 3.1 beta 3, and that extension only works up to beta 2.
XMike, follow the instructions in the gtaforums firefox extension (probably the topic below this one) if you want to install this on a version different to what is officially supported.

P.S. v3.0.8 was released 2 days ago tounge.gif

Zxiriusstinks
  • Zxiriusstinks

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Wow, I can't believe I never knew of Stylish, otherwise I would have made myself something similar to this a while ago. Thanks for the CSS GTArv. smile.gif Do you mind if I make some edits for myself with it?

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Members

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Zxirius @ Mar 29 2009, 20:16)
Wow, I can't believe I never knew of Stylish, otherwise I would have made myself something similar to this a while ago.

Same wow.gif I think I will try and look to disable some things that I don't like from your script, only for me. But good work Arv! inlove.gif

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Toadyd @ Mar 30 2009, 00:36)
He must be using 3.1 beta 3, and that extension only works up to beta 2.
XMike, follow the instructions in the gtaforums firefox extension (probably the topic below this one) if you want to install this on a version different to what is officially supported.

P.S. v3.0.8 was released 2 days ago tounge.gif

Oh, silly me. blush.gif

I realised I had disabled the addon compatibility check in order to use the gtaf extension, so that's probably why it worked for me.

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Free free to edit your liking.

This style now removes two other minor annoyances - logout links and oversized signatures.

Logout links (the direct ones atleast tounge.gif) will now blink, so that you know that you're being tricked. ph34r.gif
Oversized signatures are indicated by scrollbars in the signature edit screen, just to alert you. Sometimes the red border is difficult to notice, if your signature is oversized by only a pixel or two. This will hopefully reduce the hassle.

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

Heh, my signature is withing the limits when I see my profile, but whenever I try to edit it, it'll ALWAYS say that it is overside, and it will add the "If you see scrollbars, your signature is overside" to the box, making it oversized (or something).

Other than that, and some minor annoyances when scrolling through the Funny Images topic, it's very, VERY good. Thanks!

.AshRemains
  • .AshRemains

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

In some topics, example funny picture topic, images shacke when scrolling inbetween them. Rather annoying, but I can deal with it.

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@VinnyGouveia: The text that appears in the signature edit screen will always show, irrespective of whether your signature is oversized or not. Do you see any scrollbars near the green border?

@AshRemains: Images will be limited to 700x625, to prevent page stretch. When you mouse over the image, it'll regain its actual size. Once you move the mouse away, it'll be scaled down once again. Perhaps that's what makes it look shaky?

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (GTArv @ Apr 6 2009, 05:32)
@VinnyGouveia: The text that appears in the signature edit screen will always show, irrespective of whether your signature is oversized or not. Do you see any scrollbars near the green border?

Yes, I know that, but it shows it like it is part of the sig itself, and it them makes it oversized, adding the scrollbars, although when I view my profile it says that my sing is normal.

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Latvia

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

Wow, this is absolutely amazing! It works perfectly, makes everything better! Thanks, GTArv wink.gif! Though, I did remove some features like font size increase on forum filtering things and search box. Was too big for me. But the tool is great, because you can edit it to your own liking and share with others, ultimately creating the perfect stylesheet. And that, sir, is awesome wink.gif!

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Ah, thanks for letting me know Gouveia. Removed the signature edit alert, it was a little unnecessary anyway.

@Ed: Cheers. smile.gif

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

Nice. I've had stylish for a while, specifically for use on GTAF. This one is really useful though, good job.

The only thing I don't care for is the larger text in input fields, dropdowns, etc. Still, I'll just look at it and figure out what I need to comment out.

Again, awesome job. icon14.gif

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:20 AM

I have a suggestion for the script. I think that you could make the limit a image can be a little higher, because I think that most people use 1024X768 resolution, so it could be somewhere like 650-700px wide instead of only 625px. Also, instead of hovering the mouse and adding that orange bar, why not add a text at the top of the image saying "The image has been cropped, click for full size" or something, and when you click it, it'll open the image on a new tab/window, on its full size?

Just thinking...

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:14 AM

@Sweet: Thanks, glad to know that people find this useful. smile.gif

@Vinny: That's a good idea, but I think its impossible to do with CSS. You'll have to try with something else, such as JavaScript.

Find this selector:
CODE
postcolor img[alt="user posted image"], .row1 img[alt="user posted image"]

Under that, you'll find:
CODE
max-height: 700px !important;
max-width: 625px !important;

Change to your liking. You may as well as remove the following attributes (background-image, background-repeat, background-position, padding-right, padding-bottom), they are useless once you change the maximum dimension.

I initially started out out with these dimensions to test, but couldn't change it due to the border. The resized images show a background image, which is the reddish border. If you change the max-height/max-width, the border may no longer be visible.

Minor Update - Medals next to posts will no longer be semi-transparent. Once you mouse over, they will not disappear until you mouse out, so that you can read the awards at your leisure and click the links.

VinnyGouveia
  • VinnyGouveia

Back to Los Santos

• Members

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (GTArv @ Apr 12 2009, 03:14)
Minor Update - Medals next to posts will no longer be semi-transparent. Once you mouse over, they will not disappear until you mouse out, so that you can read the awards at your leisure and click the links.

How can you call that minor? It was awful when you wanted to know what the member contributed and, once you wanted to click on a link, it would disappear.

And thanks for the help, man icon14.gif

Butters 2011
  • Butters 2011

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:20 PM Edited by Butters 2011, 02 June 2011 - 09:49 PM.

Loving this, cheers. It's got quite some nice little features, and works perfect with FF 4. smile.gif

Testing... edited

*Edit* Didn't notice how old the topic was, got linked here from somewhere else.

f*ck it though, think this topic deserves a bump. smile.gif

(The flashing text on links that log you out no longer seem to be working...)

Yeah, cheers for that warning, when clearly I was testing a feature out. sarcasm.gif

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

That was unfortunate but that's how annoying logout links are. Thanks for the feedback.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

Looks like something that would be useful for people running 640x480 monitors, but I run a 1680x1050 monitor and none of the things fixed here have ever been a problem for me.

Jone.
  • Jone.

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Doesn't work for me. What is wrong? I can't get the medal thing right.

Butters 2011
  • Butters 2011

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Jone. @ Jun 5 2011, 09:52)
Doesn't work for me. What is wrong? I can't get the medal thing right.

What browser you on? I'm on FF4, and the only thing that isn't working for me is the log-out links thing, where the text flashes. Apart from that, everything else works fine, including the medals.

@GTArv, yeah, posted a log out link to test it and just didn't think about editing it out, since it said "Don't Click Me", and I never knew you got warned for them now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users