Photo

availablevidmem

9 replies to this topic
mirmihir
  • mirmihir

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:31 AM

i hv heard people saying that it is better compared to norestrictions....
sum also say that it improves performance........

What's the TRUTH?

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

Most definitively it will not improve performance (pop-up+FPS), but it does allow you to measure how much are you going to overload the system. If you put -availablevidmem 1.3 that means you'll be "only" asking for 30% more VRAM then is currently available. This will allow to load more textures, but the game will have issues while swapping them between VRAM and system RAM (usually much slower).

The decision is up to you. Previously, if I forced high textures, I would indeed get more FPS, but the pop-up was horrible. So, it depends what "performance" actually means to you.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

All availablevidmem does is allocate system memory to be used as video memory. So if you have a graphics card that has 512mbs of ram then an "availablevidmem 2.0" setting will give you 1024mbs of Vram (512mbs from the GPU and 512mbs from system memory). Now this might seem like a good idea but we have to remember that system ram is in no way, shape or form as fast as video ram.

However like all commands it is good if used in "moderation", if you go setting it at -availablemem 2.0 on a 2gb system and then whack your graphic settings up to use nearly 1gb of vram then you really are just asking for trouble. In my case I have a 8800gts with 320mbs of Vram, I use availablevidram 1.3 and of that I only use 20 - 30mb of it which is just enough for me to bump the res up and get some draw distance.

My own personal view is that if you have a 512mb graphics card you shouldn't use "availablevidmem" at all, you should keep the settings within the restrictions of your gpu's ram. However if you want to get some extra settings it can be useful but you should use it in moderation.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

From my experience, it's best to stay away form the max VRAM usage. Give it at least 5% leave room, or you'll suffer biggrin.gif

Murcchachosa
  • Murcchachosa

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

No, its not a good idea to use availablevidmem.
You will get stutter and lagging.
The more vidmem you use, the more the PC will be unstable.
I once tried the vidmem and the temperature of my laptop was 81 degrees C.
I remove it and it was at 76 degrees C.
A 1.3 is a little good.

Arkangel
  • Arkangel

Prankster

• Members

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

i have a 512mb card and used -availablevidmem 2.0, all i can say is my gta 4 DURING GAMEPLAY now hits the 60fps roof sometimes, also the benchmark went to near 50fps when i tried availablevidmem 1.5, that's 8 fps more then i used to have with no availablevidmem. But then again, i dont turst the benchmark.

Bottom line, use it, if you have a 1gb gpu try -availablevidmem 3.0 play for 15 minutes and let us know

Murcchachosa
  • Murcchachosa

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Arkangel @ Mar 24 2009, 13:53)
i have a 512mb card and used -availablevidmem 2.0, all i can say is my gta 4 DURING GAMEPLAY now hits the 60fps roof sometimes, also the benchmark went to near 50fps when i tried availablevidmem 1.5, that's 8 fps more then i used to have with no availablevidmem. But then again, i dont turst the benchmark.

Bottom line, use it, if you have a 1gb gpu try -availablevidmem 3.0 play for 15 minutes and let us know

1GB is far enough.
But 1GB and 3.0 vidmem will harm your performance.

NHeartbreakkid
  • NHeartbreakkid

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:36 AM

Hey i dont have any problems using this option
may be because i have an 8gb ram

StoOopiD
  • StoOopiD

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:16 PM Edited by StoOopiD, 02 August 2009 - 09:42 PM.

I use -availablevidmem 0.99 to make a vram barrier . Lying to the game about how much vram u have. just introduces stuttering and texture corruption. Theres no tweak thats going to get u more vram.
The game likes honesty

I have found a little performance in the -noprecache command

also i like the timecyc.dat farclip 3500 tweak to cheat the view distance. my view dist is @ 5
Timecyc.dat Tweak

U can also buy a $10 4gig flashdrive and dedicate it to Readyboost. A flashdrive is faster than a pagefile.
it helps with the smoothness.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

anti-pasto

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

Unless your card doesn't have enough VRAM to support the settings you want to run, don't use the command. It doesn't increase performance, it's only for changing graphics settings to something higher than a video card's VRAM can support.

Basically, if you're looking for a performance increase from this command, this is not the right one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users