Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA IV: the greatest game of all time

81 replies to this topic
Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

I won't considerate GTAIV as the best game on the PC but it is awesome. I'd just like to push it to the max sigh.gif

adamove
  • adamove

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

i have to agree, gts series is the best game, followed by oblivion fallout duo.

someone mention bioshock half life deus ex well its not that cathegory they are nice, but way way bellow

AND its not matter of taste, becouse they are a technical product

PerebruM
  • PerebruM

-

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

GTA IV IS the best game, never seen any other game with a multiplayer as nearly as good as GTA's.
Lots of customization, very, very large maps to be explored and various game modes, never gets boring.

Gryet
  • Gryet

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

First of all - about being a great game according the number og games sold - then yes, it is great. But BEFORE release it was rated 10 of 10 stars by the critics. And AFTER release it was rated 7 of 10 stars by the gamers.

I bought this game cuz I just HAD to own it. I love it cuz it's a GTA game and I hate it cuz it's a lazy port and that I had to buy a new computer to run it - unfortunately with Vista giving me (and most others) the AppHang1B error after a random time, causing the game to freeze.

I played San Andreas for more then 250 hours - then I got tired of it and uninstalled it.
I played GTA IV for about 50 hours - then I got tired of the crashes.

Graphics are cool, game is cool, but still San Andreas was a better game.

Chris1508
  • Chris1508

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (mortal_soldier @ Mar 7 2009, 23:53)
You can't really label it THE greatest game of all time. It's one of the best thought, I give you that much. Personally I've put more hours into Fallout 3 thought, heh tounge.gif

In terms of tech this game is probably the most impressive I've seen yet. Beats Crysis by a long shot with Euphoria and car deformation.

I want to spit on the creators of fallout 3, its ugly and boring as F**K waste of money

Judazzz
  • Judazzz

Custom member title

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

No doubt GTA IV is a great game (I'm enjoying as much as the previous editions, probably even more), however, it could have been so much better still. Apart from the initial 'problems' with getting it to run in the first place (which of course is a disgrace, deliberately letting your paying customers act as beta testers), there are just too many small things that annoy me. And more importantly, things that could have been avoided if it wasn't for low quality standards on behalf of Rockstar (can't call it anything else, as otherwise they wouldn't have appeared in the final product in the first place). Things like an extremely buggy Independence FM, shadows and glimmering objects (stairs, fences) that, even with high quality settings, not only look pathetic but actually affect gaming experience (at least in my opinion), loss of camera auto-positioning when getting into a car after having been in the settings screen, poor control mapping (why can't I map all keys, and why can't I map any mouse button other than left, right and middle?), and tons more of those small annoyances that just tock me off and make me feel like yelling profanities at my computer.

Again, GTA IV is an amazing game with on the whole excellent graphics (as long as you have the hardware for it - luckily I do) and sound, an engaging story line with quirky and believable characters, tons of humor, a lively and well-functioning urban setting unlike anything I've seen before in a game, and so on and on and on... But it's not the best game ever in my book, nor will it ever be: it just has too many flaws. For the most part it's just small flaws, but added up they make quite the list. A list a 'best game ever' couldn't possibly ever have.
And besides that, how can you compare action games with 1st person shooters, adventures, RPG's or sports games to begin with? The only measure I can think of is the enjoyment factor, and that is as personal as things like 'the best song ever' or 'the best movie' ever...

diamins0
  • diamins0

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (PerebruM @ Mar 8 2009, 20:59)
GTA IV IS the best game, never seen any other game with a multiplayer as nearly as good as GTA's.

good joke.

Subversion1337
  • Subversion1337

IPISubversion

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (diamins0 @ Mar 8 2009, 22:25)
QUOTE (PerebruM @ Mar 8 2009, 20:59)

good joke.

hehe, he's not joking. that guy's in the top 30 in the world in trueskill dm smile.gif

(I'm in top 20 tounge.gif )

method.man 2
  • method.man 2

Va fungool

• Members

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (adamove @ Mar 8 2009, 20:44)
i have to agree, gts series is the best game, followed by oblivion fallout duo.

someone mention bioshock half life deus ex well its not that cathegory they are nice, but way way bellow

AND its not matter of taste, becouse they are a technical product

so by your reckoning even though i can't stand racers im going to buy GT5 because its a technical product. Of course its about taste, if somebody doesn't like a game they are not going to buy it. Just because you think GTAIV is the greatest game ever doesn't mean it is, thats your oppinion because its the style of game you obviously enjoy which means thats your taste of games.

Like someone previously posted, everybody has there own greatest game, for me it would have to be Call Of Duty 4 because ive been playing it since it came out and i love the online. for me GTAIV was a mediocre game that was very much over hyped, and over rated. it doesnt even get in my top 20, and i know some smart ass is gonna say why are you a member of a gta forum if you dont like it, well thats not true because san andreas is my 4th favourate game

IronFixXxeR
  • IronFixXxeR

Texan

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:00 AM

I pretty much quit my WoW career for GTA4... and I have over 600 days played..sigh.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:04 AM

Forgot about HL2 aintcha?

OabAli
  • OabAli

Apesh*t

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:30 AM Edited by OabAli, 09 March 2009 - 11:14 AM.

My list of greatest games of all-time (only IMO):

1. GTA San Andreas
2. Call of Duty 4
3. GTA IV
4. Team Fortress 2
5. Half-Life 2
6. Super Mario 64
7. GTA Vice City
8. Super Smash Bros Brawl Melee (whoops got confused, don't even have a Wii)
9. Pokemon Gold/Crystal
10. Portal
(let me exaggerate this is 'ALL-TIME', not 'currently') biggrin.gif

GTA IV is one of the greatest video gaming experiences I've ever had - the improved gameplay, graphics, masterful story sheer size of Liberty City - but not the best. I prefer the freedom and immaturity of San Andreas over the mature, "less-is-more" approach GTA IV had.

Gryet
  • Gryet

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (OabAli @ Mar 9 2009, 06:30)
GTA IV is one of the greatest video gaming experiences I've ever had - the improved gameplay, graphics, masterful story sheer size of Liberty City - but not the best. I prefer the freedom and immaturity of San Andreas over the mature, "less-is-more" approach GTA IV had.

I agree with that.

If I had to create my list of "best games ever" I would have to more look at how long I've played the game rather than how impressed I was.

For example, I played San Andreas for more than 250 hours but GTA IV is ALOT nicer in graphics and surch. Still, San Andreas is a better game to me, as I found it worth playing alot longer than GTA IV.

The games I've spend ultimately the longest time on without getting bored:

1) San Andreas
2) UFO - Enemy Unknown (very old)
3) Delta Force (yes, the first one)
4) Sim City (and yes, the game from '92)
5) Grand Theft Auto (also the first one)
6) Hitman 2
7) Command & Conquer (again the first)
8) Max Payne

There might be more, but these are the ones I've spend alot of time playing and enjoying.

For sure there are tons of games with better graphics and gameplay than most of these, but that does not make it "greatest game" for me. Especially, if you can finih it in a weekend and dosen't find it interesting enough to play again.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

IMO GTA IV is a *good* game that is crippled by this feeling I get that R* missed the chance to create something truly great. Now, the question is why didn't they do just that. Why didn't they leave as all in awe? Maybe they didn't know how to, maybe they didn't have enough time, maybe they wanted to create a title that will sell *well enough*, maybe they wnated to crate a world that will be easy to expand later on and capitalize further in such a way.

I'll admit being a graphics whore, but the eye candy is very superficial and in the end, when there is to much stuff out of place I can notice the game is far less enjoyable for me. And when I look back, the games I played the most have many traits, but stellar graphics is not one of them (maybe back then when they were actual). Gameplay beats graphics anytime. Atmosphere does also.

Games that provided me with more enjoyment in alpha order
Baldurs Gate II
COD4
Diablo II
Final fantasy IX - played on PS
GTA Sand Andreas
GTA Vise City
Mount&Blade (not well known open ended game; maybe a bit too much open ended)
Space rangers 2 (b production title, also open ended)
X3 Reunion Extended

All in all, my favorite is GTA VC, while the most time I spent with GTA SA.

webe123
  • webe123

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

I HARDLY think this game is the greatest of all time.

To me San Andreas was much better in terms of gameplay. Though I hated the stupid races you had to do in San Andreas because there were so many and they were hard, so no game is perfect!

Even when you reach 100% completion in this game, all it does is give you a lousy uncap for ammo and a little banner telling you you reached 100% completion. And when you reload a save, your ammo uncapped is capped again making it useless! So getting 100% in this game? BIG WHOOP!

Not exactly a great way to celebrate someone getting 100% completion by shooting 200 pigeons (which was totally STUPID in my opinion) as well as other things.

The graphics ARE top notch...IF you have a decent computer, but give me a BREAK....WINDOWS LIVE??...that is the most annoying thing they put in this game!

To make that MANDITORY to have an account was totally stupid, again, in my opinion.

If I want to play a game.... I want to play a game, not mess with setting up a stupid LIVE account just so that I CAN play the game!

That was idiotic, pure and simple! They should have made it voluntary about the LIVE account and not manditory!

So this game is far from the greatest game of all time, but thanks for trying!

Subversion1337
  • Subversion1337

IPISubversion

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

About hours played: isn't that an illogical criteria by which to judge GTA IV on the PC? You're all on this forum so I assume you still play the game in SP or MP... It only came out on December 3rd for PC...

About windows live: well yes, it is total sh*t, but that doesn't make the game itself any worse imo.

Fuggedaboudit
  • Fuggedaboudit

Fuggedaboudit!

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Untill MAFIA II comes, this is a really good game. Although I enjoy Fallout 3 very well too ATM.

Pranjal
  • Pranjal

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

Talking about the number of hours wasted on a game, my maximum is nearly 1500 hrs for San Andreas and nearly 300 hrs for Vice City. Both of them figure in my top 10 games of all time. With respect to details, I believe no one can beat Oblivion. Found and explored 400 places with KOTN and Shivering Isles installed and still a lot to go I believe.

Although initially reluctant to pick it up, I finally gave in and bought GTA IV a fortnight ago. Completed the game twice . The graphics are nice and the handling of vehicles are realistic. However the bikes' handling sucked. At last Rockstar fixed those blocky textures. This RAGE engine definitely has lots of potential and can surpass the previous GTA games if Rockstar manages to harvest its true potential. Of course I am also expecting some change in gameplay which has become quite redundant.

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK
  • GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

Jason Summers

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (creat3d22 @ Mar 8 2009, 06:54)
Some people swear Hendrix was the greatest guitar player that ever lived, others feel that Britney Spears is THE GREATEST SINGER EVER!!!! and others are convinced that nothing will ever beat Star Wars... besides the fact that these people are obviously retarded (all 3 examples), there's no such thing as a "best ever" of anything.

GTA IV is definately a fantastic game and Liberty City is one of the most detailed game worlds ever created. No doubt about it!
It's also my favorite game and will probably remain so until the next one surpasses it (hopefully).

But there's no "greatest ever" of anything. Ever.

Look DUDE.......every one you mentioned has done something great in there life.....

i mean

Britney Spears topped the Bilboard's Top 100 Chart at the age of 17 years..

Jimmi Hendrix's guitar play influenced modern rock

Just like that GTA IV is a great game......okay let's see in that manner only a great game can achieve sales like this...

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK
  • GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

Jason Summers

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Pranjal @ Mar 8 2009, 20:14)
Half Life series, Quake series, CoD series, the previous GTA series,all of Bethesda's games are far superior to GTA IV IMO.

Don't even compare GTA IV to Half Life and Quake series.....they are not of GTA's Level...

Pranjal
  • Pranjal

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK @ Mar 10 2009, 01:37)
Half Life series, Quake series, CoD series, the previous GTA series,all of Bethesda's games are far superior to GTA IV IMO.

Don't even compare GTA IV to Half Life and Quake series.....they are not of GTA's Level...

I compared them with GTA IV. What's wrong with that? Have you played any of them? Moreover going ga ga over a game just because it has been awarded 10/10 by greedy reviewers with nefarious intentions isn't going to help you unless you play it and experience it yourself.

Chris1508
  • Chris1508

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

it is a very good game but i am not too impressed with the jagged edges you see on lamposts etc. shadows are pretty decent since v1.2 and alls good

Aquaphonic
  • Aquaphonic

Slayer Hater

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Deus Ex is the best game ever!!

GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK
  • GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK

Jason Summers

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (Pranjal @ Mar 9 2009, 20:20)
QUOTE (GTA_ULTIMATE_FREAK @ Mar 10 2009, 01:37)

I compared them with GTA IV. What's wrong with that? Have you played any of them? Moreover going ga ga over a game just because it has been awarded 10/10 by greedy reviewers with nefarious intentions isn't going to help you unless you play it and experience it yourself.

COD series and Half Life are great Games specially COD 4 and COD 5 but

Don't you know they are FPS and GTA games are Sandbox GAME...

So why are you comparing games from other genre to the other ones.

compare COD and Half Life with Halo Series..../

catzilla
  • catzilla

Professional pilot

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Half Life 1 is the best game ever.

f*ck graphics. Choose gameplay.

Vicetopia
  • Vicetopia

Factory Overclocked

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (catzilla @ Mar 9 2009, 16:45)
Half Life 1 is the best game ever.

f*ck graphics. Choose gameplay.

What makes HL1 gameplay better than HL2?

catzilla
  • catzilla

Professional pilot

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Are you out of your mind? Have you even played HL1?

Vicetopia
  • Vicetopia

Factory Overclocked

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (catzilla @ Mar 9 2009, 16:49)
Are you out of your mind? Have you even played HL1?

I've played both plenty of times (I beat HL2 seventeen times).
Just wondering why you think it's better...

catzilla
  • catzilla

Professional pilot

• Members

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:02 PM

Storyline.

method.man 2
  • method.man 2

Va fungool

• Members

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (catzilla @ Mar 9 2009, 22:02)
Storyline.

i found it hard to find a storyline in halflife 1 all i could make of it was that an experiment went wrong, he tries to make it better, and theres a random guy(g man)that pops up occasionally, dont get me wrong i loved the game and have completed it numerous times but the problem with it was there was no characters, except for gordan and g man the rest was just reoccuring characters. HL 2 let you get to know the characters learn about them, they gave them there own little storylines. but its everybody to there own thats just my oppinion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users