» «
Photo

Best of Both Worlds...

195 replies to this topic
Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:12 AM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 19 October 2009 - 10:15 AM.

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Oct 19 2009, 01:44)
I played up to No Love Lost and discovered that Rockstar actually didn't make sure the Billy Grey story gets unlocked before that. If you take the shortest possible route to No Love Lost you don't get the Billy Grey story in time. If you take a longer route (more Little Jacob or meeting Brucie) you do get the Billy Grey story. It seems to be based on number of missions done, not a particular mission. Because of this I updated my chart without any crossover links to the first two TLAD missions but instead added chronological dependencies between Hung Out to Dry and Clean and Serene, and kept the dependency between Angels in America and No Love Lost. Also found a couple other mistakes and redundant dependencies and fixed them.

I think in terms of the list though it has to be straight forward as it needs to be more clean cut
(with it being a list anall). If you play the missions one after another The Billy Grey Story will appear after Final Destination/Clean and Serene (if you wait a while) so I think it best that that's where Clean and Serene should go in the list. When I make the new topic in the BOGT section I will state that the list is not representative of mission dependancies and can't be 100% accurate to everybody due to personal preference on when to do the missions and there being no indicators for when certain things happen etc.
That's where your chart is useful. The list is just a guideline for people to play the games as one big continuous story and get an idea of when certain missions take place relative to the other stories.

liquidus119
  • liquidus119

King of Kings

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

Not to interrupt or anything, but I've been trying to set up a strict time line of events between GTAIV and TLAD, and the only way I personally could get the mission structure to work right in my head was to have Clean and Serene happen the morning after Final Destination, so I think how the list is set up right now provides a better jump point into TLAD from a chronological stand.

Sorry if I seem like I am just butting in or something, just wanted to put my two cents down since I've been trying to work some of this out on my own.
  • lilchris131 likes this

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:50 PM Edited by Magic_Al, 19 October 2009 - 03:57 PM.

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Oct 19 2009, 04:12)
I think in terms of the list though it has to be straight forward as it needs to be more clean cut
(with it being a list anall). If you play the missions one after another The Billy Grey Story will appear after Final Destination/Clean and Serene (if you wait a while) so I think it best that that's where Clean and Serene should go in the list. When I make the new topic in the BOGT section I will state that the list is not representative of mission dependancies and can't be 100% accurate to everybody due to personal preference on when to do the missions and there being no indicators for when certain things happen etc.
That's where your chart is useful. The list is just a guideline for people to play the games as one big continuous story and get an idea of when certain missions take place relative to the other stories.

Yeah I think I just proved you right. If it's possible to get to No Love Lost before Billy gets out of rehab in IV, then there needs to be a list to keep the player on track if they want the best continuity.

QUOTE (liquidus119 @ Oct 19 2009, 09:50)
Not to interrupt or anything, but I've been trying to set up a strict time line of events between GTAIV and TLAD, and the only way I personally could get the mission structure to work right in my head was to have Clean and Serene happen the morning after Final Destination, so I think how the list is set up right now provides a better jump point into TLAD from a chronological stand.

Sorry if I seem like I am just butting in or something, just wanted to put my two cents down since I've been trying to work some of this out on my own.

There's nothing saying that's wrong as long as Niko's missions are ordered so he doesn't do No Love Lost immediately after Final Destination. There has to be enough time for TLAD to get through Angels in America with Jason heading over to Hove Beach after that.

liquidus119
  • liquidus119

King of Kings

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Oct 19 2009, 15:50)
There's nothing saying that's wrong as long as Niko's missions are ordered so he doesn't do No Love Lost immediately after Final Destination. There has to be enough time for TLAD to get through Angels in America with Jason heading over to Hove Beach after that.

Yeah, this is basically how I have it structured in my time line.

Day 12
Little Jacob Package Delivery 1
Final Destination

Day 13
Clean and Serene
Little Jacob Package Delivery 2
Angels in America
No Love Lost
Liberty City Choppers

Day 14
Itís War
Little Jacob Package Delivery 3

I basically set up my time line so that events are listed from the earliest event to the latest, although I'm thinking of breaking it down into even more detail so that I list what time of day it happens. I'm also thinking of setting it up so that it shows events that Niko and Johnny do parallel to each other (for instance, I believe that the second Little Jacob Package Delivery would happen while Clean and Serene is in progress, considering how long Clean and Serene takes to complete)

I'm also even debating adding when Niko would go on activities with friends, seeing as how I have big gaps of wasted time in some areas (like the gap between the second package delivery, and the end of Angels in America), but I also think that might be going into a bit TOO much detail and would make the narrative seem to linear and unrealistic.

I don't know, I'm still working out the kinks but plan on showing people my idea of the timeline once BOGT comes out and I can complete it.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:02 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 19 October 2009 - 06:15 PM.

Damn man your really going down to the finest detail aren't you colgate.gif

Side missions don't figure into my list at all as they are not required to advance in the story. In TLAD though I think they could be used as a reason for some of Johnny's missions being days apart and stuff. Also I think Stubbs dirty laundry missions are pretty much part of the story since they put some backstory on Bryce Dawkins' Infernus. Probably the best time for those missions to occur would be when Niko is working for Packie since it coincides with Three Leaf Clover.. The only major part of the Story that takes place during TLAD that Johnny isn't involved in but both of the other protagonists are. Or maybe they would be better suited to after Roman's Holiday due to the large gap (time wise) between Photo Shoot and Taking in The Trash I don't know.

liquidus119
  • liquidus119

King of Kings

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:34 AM

Yeah, I'm kind of nerdy about the details I guess haha

The only problem with my timeline is that it doesn't work too well for a play through, as I have most of Johnny's missions happening while Niko is doing something. Your guys lists is way better for an actual complete playthrough of the episodes, so that means most people probably wouldn't give a crap about my time line anyways.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (liquidus119 @ Oct 20 2009, 01:34)
Yeah, I'm kind of nerdy about the details I guess haha

The only problem with my timeline is that it doesn't work too well for a play through, as I have most of Johnny's missions happening while Niko is doing something. Your guys lists is way better for an actual complete playthrough of the episodes, so that means most people probably wouldn't give a crap about my time line anyways.

I don't think your alone on that dude.

I'm planning on updating this Topic and moving it to the BOGT section soon so If you can somehow upload your timeline so people can read it I'd be happy to link to it in my OP so that people who want to get the timeline straight in their head right down to days and times can look at yor list.

liquidus119
  • liquidus119

King of Kings

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

I'll probably upload a version sometime before BOGT comes out, right now I'm still trying to iron out a few inaccuracies that I have come across but I've had to write a few papers for college this week so it's been taking time.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (liquidus119 @ Oct 20 2009, 12:03)
I'll probably upload a version sometime before BOGT comes out, right now I'm still trying to iron out a few inaccuracies that I have come across but I've had to write a few papers for college this week so it's been taking time.

I know exactly what you mean man... College can be a pain in the ass. Let me know if you manage to get that list done... It'd be interesting to have a look at it.

adzy28394
  • adzy28394

It's nice to find a sane person on Xbox Live

• Members

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

Has anyone figured out a way to play Vanilla, TLAD and BoGT at the same time, like the first post? That'd be way cool biggrin.gif

Magic_Al
  • Magic_Al

Boss

• Members

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (adzy28394 @ Nov 2 2009, 10:49)
Has anyone figured out a way to play Vanilla, TLAD and BoGT at the same time, like the first post? That'd be way cool biggrin.gif

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=430301

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules about bumping old topics or anything but I owe so much to this list and I would just like to bump it in tribute before I let it die forever.

PhilipO43
  • PhilipO43

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hey all,

(sorry been away for a long time due to a recent move)

I'm working on a exact combination of storylines, as going by everything including radio station news and especially the blogs on IV's make believe internet.

But does anyone care anymore, for me to go deep into it?

If so, i'll keep updating my list, but if not..lol, well i'll just enjoy both versions without the need to worry which exact mission
is which order.

btw: Playing it on my enb modified mod(based off Levo's enb) in 1st person view and with real traffic/peds and many others aspects. It really makes it a new game, at least until GTAV arrives smile.gif

Later guys..

Phil

AdvanceTrak RSC
  • AdvanceTrak RSC

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Rock on brother ROCK ON!!!! God I loved playing TLAD

PhilipO43
  • PhilipO43

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Ok, after going through this part some 3 or 4 times, i'm making sure the order is correct, as initially it was posted this way:

------------------------
22. [MF]No Love Lost
23. [MF]Rigged to Blow
24. [J]Bad Cop Drop
25. [DR]The Master and the Molotov
------------------------

But the blogs are making me think one mission is out of order. As the serial killed(Eddie Low) commits a murder, that shows the timeframe more exactly.

When i go over these missions again this weekend, i'll post up my 100% certain structure for this part.

btw: I forgot the person whom posted up the original listing, but HUGE thanks for getting that started. icon14.gif

lilchris131
  • lilchris131

I'm no player hater!?

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:38 PM Edited by lilchris131, 13 December 2013 - 11:12 PM.

I know the 'Possible Trinity' topic basically took over this thread after TBoGT came out, but after I've finished my own Possible Trinity playthrough I'm actually going to do a playthrough of GTA IV and TLAD on their own, just to see how it feels (obviously because the flow is a bit disrupted with TBoGT because of Chinese Takeout), so here's my list for anyone else that might be interested:

[R] The Cousins Bellic
[R] It's Your Call
[R] Three's a Crowd
[R] Bleed Out
[M] First Date
[R] Easy Fare
[V] Bull in a China Shop
[R] Jamaican Heat
[LJ] Concrete Jungle
[V] Hung Out to Dry
[V] Clean Getaway
[V] Ivan The Not So Terrible