Photo

Are Consoles Obsolete?

83 replies to this topic
Indi
  • Indi

Moving Shadow

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:36 PM Edited by Indi., 04 March 2009 - 05:41 PM.

People use consoles because they THINK they are better than PC's, what the f*ck? My friend in school thinks a 360 can own a PC, whatever. PC's are better than consoles overall, but some PC games are horendous, like IV for example. Some bad ports which make PC gaming look like a sh*t hole. Elan turned me into a PC gamer, bastard tounge.gif joking this isn't fanboyism, I still like consoles

3niX
  • 3niX

Lazy idiot

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Well...
You'll see indie games get a lot stronger before graphics APIs die, and in turn kill the indie devs who won't be able to afford to write their own engines from scratch (no worries, there will be a whole new indie movement and it will be even stronger than it ever could be because they will create their own engine just like R*, just like Epic, just like Valve that will be used among a whole community of developers as the "PC platform" - open frameworks will survive, is what I'm saying - Where in the cut throat full-commercial world of gaming, they don't share their secrets, the indie and open game communities will have a great time with much less to worry about once they have their bearings. You'll begin to see, imo, a lot more indie developers able to afford development on consoles. Which would be pretty cool.)

This man speaks (a bit of) the truth.

I recommend browsing ModDB. I was amazed by the quality of some of the games over there. Modding and indie-games are taking over. Creativity counts in the eyes of a gamer (and the fact that something is free tounge.gif ).
Most corporate releases dont have the same amount of enthusiasm backing them as a community-driven mod for example. There are several free/open-source game engines available for modding enthusiasts. Also, a lot of modders are becoming more professional in their methods; plus, they are often very talented. All things point to a new direction in gaming.

In a way... that probably IS the future of gaming. PC gaming is going through several experiments (browser-based gaming anyone?) and console gaming is slowly following in its footsteps. PC gaming leads the way and consoles display the refined (some might say dumbed down) side of it.

Changes are happening in gaming just like changes take effect in art or music. Its the natural course of things. People see the world (and gaming itself) differently than they saw it before, gaming has to adapt to those views.

Tantalus91
  • Tantalus91

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

Consoles are dumbed down PC's that will soon be all-in-one media centers. The biggest benefit? A 5 year old kid has a hard time breaking them like they can a PC.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Mar 4 2009, 09:55)
QUOTE (Pandemic0rgasm @ Mar 4 2009, 10:22)
I bought 4! ps2's in that genration.

PS2 was very crappy, indeed. It would break after about one year of usage. God only knows where they cut corners in manufacturing process.

Really? Ive had my PS2 from a few days after it was released and the only time i had problems was when the controller gave up, so techinally i guess thats not the systems fault. My PS2 is pretty much bulletproof. biggrin.gif

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Tantalus91 @ Mar 4 2009, 19:07)
Consoles are dumbed down PC's that will soon be all-in-one media centers. The biggest benefit? A 5 year old kid has a hard time breaking them like they can a PC.

I've seen kids younger than 5 use computers, what difference does that make. Consoles are not obsolete, they wont be for a long ass time.

Jordy.
  • Jordy.

Matty?

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (CreebA @ Mar 4 2009, 08:34)
Seeing as a you can buy almost 3 360s for just 1 ps3, there pretty cheap and alot more reliable than you think

This guy has '360 fanboy' written all over him. Don't listen to what he says about consoles.

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

I can see this topic getting locked for the fan boyism....

-- Offtopic --

Wii = Not next gen, over sensitive
PS3 = Next gen, blu ray
360 = Next gen, HD

Each console has it's strengths and weaknesses. Only thing I might say whether I'm right or wrong is that PS3 trophys look like a rip off of 360 achievements, yet everyone says 360 ripped off PS3....

-- Ontopic --

Consoles will never disappear. On a console, just buy a disc, shove it in the console and your away. On a PC you need the right graphics card, right amount of RAM, right amount of HDD space.

Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (gta_king @ Mar 4 2009, 03:13)
Consoles arn't obsolete, if they were obsolete they wouldn't be popular. Consoles are popular because people want simplicity with gaming and who can really blame them, they want to get their console put a game in and play it.

Exactly. Consoles are more for families and the casual gamer, while hardcore players tend to go with PC.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Consoles wont go out of fashion for a very long time, mainly because they are cheaper than buying a PC that will run the new games that come out for PC. Plus, there's more of a market for console games from what I've seen in my Game stores, so if the markets not failing I doubt the console side of it will.

Pandemic0rgasm
  • Pandemic0rgasm

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:20 PM Edited by Pandemic0rgasm, 04 March 2009 - 08:23 PM.

An XBOX360 Arcade may cost 200 dollars. But you don't get anywhere near what you get with a PS3. If you're going to use it you have another $99-$150 dollars for a hard drive, then you have the $50 for the XBOX Live membership every year? You don't even get an HDMI cable with it. So there's another $15-$50+. If you play for 10 years the estimated life of a console generation, that's 500 dollars you're paying just to Xbox Live.

The XBOX360 seems like the more expensive console in this generation if you ask me. It also seems to be the one with the problematic failure rate.

The issue here I think is what are you getting for your money? If a company wanted to code a gamer OS and then put together a list of certified equipment it supports with drivers, they could basically start their own PC/Console platform and gamers would have all the benefits of a console with an HTPC, and the systems wouldn't be limited by the 10 year generation lifespan in regards to hardware.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (iRloading @ Mar 4 2009, 18:43)
when the friends are over... you cant exactly share a mouse and keyboard for upto 4+ players yeah?

I'm pretty sure there are controllers available for the PC.

I would not like to post my opinion because it is going to be heavily biased towards PC seeing as how I've never been a console fan and never owned one.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

Not everyone uses XBL though, and really you don't have to get a years worth of Live you know there are different month ones. Anyway, this isn't JUST about Xbox, all consoles have their ups and downs.
The thing is though, someone could start up that company thing your talking about, but lets be honest most PC's these days need an update for newer games after about a year maybe 2 depending on the specs of new said game. So your still going to end up dishing out for new hardware or updates when something you want won't be able to play on the PC you have. Really, most people do end up with a console and enjoy it is because there either not interested in PC gaming, or they just can't afford the upkeep of keeping an up to date PC when they want an upgrade to it.

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Don't know how this translates into dollars, but I picked up my Elite for 120. And it WASN'T on special offer either

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

Sorry, I just can't handle using a mouse and keyboard to play a video game.

Digital Murders
  • Digital Murders

&?

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Mar 4 2009, 02:55)

PS2 was very crappy, indeed. It would break after about one year of usage. God only knows where they cut corners in manufacturing process.

Hmm...I've had my PS2 for 9 years. It was a launch console and sometimes it runs better than my 360.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:32 PM Edited by Street Mix, 04 March 2009 - 10:44 PM.

I still use PS2 cause I wanna play GTA Stories and Midnight Club 3 sometimes.
And waiting for Motorstorm Arctic Edge. IGN says it'll be released in August.

But PC is the best. If the game runs bad on PC, you can change RAM, drivers, video card, CPU etc.
If the game runs with lags on console (like GTAVCS) or has sh*tty graphics - it's over. All what you can do - sit and wait for the patch (and there's no patches for PS2 BTW).

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

No. Consoles are far from obsolete. They are very popular, and they contribute to way the video game industry is a multi billion dollar industry. Also, I look forward to another generation of consoles (PS 4, Xbox 720, Nintendo ?). More so, Nintendo is on top in the console market, dominating the 360 and the PS3 in sells. The console market is going to be around for a very long time.

I personally want to venture into PC gaming myself. I mean, those Sims games on the PC's looks awsome.

Mark
  • Mark

• Feroci
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

For casual gaming, consoles will pretty much always be supreme. I myself am a casual gamer. I want something that looks pretty, that I can pick up every now and then and play...but not have to pay in the region of a grand for. An X360 with a few killing games? Couple hundred quid? Suits me. When I get bored, I can pick up any game within the next decade and pretty much expect to be able to play it. My PC on the other hand is now 5 years old and I paid 500 on the parts to build it. It's now obsolete.

foohy
  • foohy

New username. Member since 11/30/'07.

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:08 AM Edited by foohy, 05 March 2009 - 12:17 AM.

QUOTE (AceMustDie @ Mar 4 2009, 09:02)
QUOTE (mkey82 @ Mar 4 2009, 08:55)

I still have my ps2 that i got in 2003 and the only problem i ever had with it was the laser got dust on it. I opened it up and swabbed the laser and it goes like the first day i bought it.

Same here...except I got mine in 2001 Don't mind the Mkey...it's just a hopeless console hater.

foohy
  • foohy

New username. Member since 11/30/'07.

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (james227uk @ Mar 4 2009, 19:32)
Each console has it's strengths and weaknesses. Only thing I might say whether I'm right or wrong is that PS3 trophys look like a rip off of 360 achievements, yet everyone says 360 ripped off PS3....

Yeah trophies could be considered ripoffs but they are a valuble addition to the PS3. Both consoles have ripped off each other and other devices at one point (360 avatars come to mind) but in this case i'd say that the ends justify the means. I mean that good features shouldn't be left out just because they're similar to another device's features.

Consoles will never disappear. On a console, just buy a disc, shove it in the console and your away. On a PC you need the right graphics card, right amount of RAM, right amount of HDD space.

I agree 100%

edit: Whoops! sorry for the double post.

Pandemic0rgasm
  • Pandemic0rgasm

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:19 AM Edited by Pandemic0rgasm, 05 March 2009 - 02:21 AM.

My PS2 slim was the last one I purchased and it has run like a champ. I've never had a problem with it and still enjoy games on it like Black, Grand theft autos, gran turismo. The other fat ones I had ended up giving me disc read errors I couldn't solve by cleaning the laser. Wasn't such a problem given they were so cheap though.

Anyway I think the issues that we agree on regarding ease of use etc could be solved with a gamer OS and certified hardware, and of course pre built machines. So you can have both customization and standardization.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

You can never really say a PC is better than a console because a console is built to same quality in each unit while a PC is something you more build with more money spent or something like that. Also, PC isn't specific and neither is console, but there is a larger variety of PCs out there than consoles. An example would be my PC, which is crappy and I believe runs at 128 kbps confused.gif , so my PS3 is quite better than my PC. On the other hand, yous hardcore PC gamers have very good and fast computers that would demolish my PS3.

Anyways, consoles won't become obsolete until PCs become more simplistic for the simple man and thus a console doesn't take much thought to start a game.

[MenaceMovies]
  • [MenaceMovies]

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

I just like my PS3 because I don't have to worry about system requirements, I get hell of a lot less game errors on my PS3 than I do on my PC and I find it more confortable to control things on the PS3. I like PC for the mods and the fun.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:36 PM Edited by ryuclan, 05 March 2009 - 03:38 PM.

QUOTE (Digital Murders @ Mar 4 2009, 21:54)
QUOTE (mkey82 @ Mar 4 2009, 02:55)

Hmm...I've had my PS2 for 9 years. It was a launch console and sometimes it runs better than my 360.

What the hell is that guy talking about. The PS2 was one of the most resiliant consoles I've ever had. You could literally shake it, and it wouldn't scratch the disc or skip, you could open the disc tray to wipe the disc off and put it back in and keep playing, you could drop it and it would keep playing. It played scratched discs that would never play in a 360, and it was just overall a very well built system. I had a fatboy though none of that slim stuff for me, I hate those things.\

Also console gaming is not as just a casual gaming thing. Lost of hardcore gamers use them.

oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

If the game runs with lags on console (like GTAVCS) or has sh*tty graphics - it's over.

I never played a game with lag.
+ lag is something online if you have sh*tass internet, I think you mean FPS rape?

What the hell is that guy talking about. The PS2 was one of the most resiliant consoles I've ever had. You could literally shake it, and it wouldn't scratch the disc or skip, you could open the disc tray to wipe the disc off and put it back in and keep playing, you could drop it and it would keep playing. It played scratched discs that would never play in a 360, and it was just overall a very well built system. I had a fatboy though none of that slim stuff for me, I hate those things.

QFT.
I dropped mine 5 times, and it still runs better then anything in this house (apart from my PS3.

Same, I don't see how it can be comfortable.

after all, I don't think gaming would be that popular if there weren't any consoles.
consoles will go obsolete when the earth explodes.

Imagine if there is going to be one of a hell kickass computer that costs like 50000$ and will be able to run games with the reqs of GTAIV PC x 10.

[MenaceMovies]
  • [MenaceMovies]

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (oldage @ Mar 5 2009, 15:43)
If the game runs with lags on console (like GTAVCS) or has sh*tty graphics - it's over.

+ lag is something online if you have sh*tass internet, I think you mean FPS rape?

... Well, low FPS is also known as lag

numdmind
  • numdmind

numdmind

• Members

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

Consoles will never be obsolete.

I enjoy PC gaming, but it really is way too much of a hassle to get games working unless you're loaded and have an amazing gaming rig. Even then, you have to deal with newer OS's not running older games. It's just not worth it for a little bit better graphics. Sure, there's modding available on PC's, but most mods are crap anyway, and I find no real enjoyment with them. I'll play a mod for about an hour or so, then get bored with it, because most likely it was programmed badly, or images weren't compressed right so the computer can't handle the mod.

Then you have to deal with the inevitability of release day crashes and annoying updates and tricks to get your game to work. Too much hassle and I just want to play my new game.

blitsie
  • blitsie

Kapow!

• Members

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

There is one reason why I like playing on a console: Simplicity.

I still choose a PC over a console but there are days were nothing just works right on it and the console is like that salvation from all the frustration,ya know?

tuareg
  • tuareg

and everythin' that's shakin' in between

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Kazakhstan

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

I don't understand all the fuss with the ps2. It should function well if you didn't stand/sit on it while playing. Mine is like 7-8 years old and it works perfectly.

I love my crappy little ps2 inlove.gif

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (oldage @ Mar 5 2009, 10:43)

What the hell is that guy talking about. The PS2 was one of the most resiliant consoles I've ever had. You could literally shake it, and it wouldn't scratch the disc or skip, you could open the disc tray to wipe the disc off and put it back in and keep playing, you could drop it and it would keep playing. It played scratched discs that would never play in a 360, and it was just overall a very well built system. I had a fatboy though none of that slim stuff for me, I hate those things.

QFT.
I dropped mine 5 times, and it still runs better then anything in this house (apart from my PS3.

Same, I don't see how it can be comfortable.

after all, I don't think gaming would be that popular if there weren't any consoles.
consoles will go obsolete when the earth explodes.

Imagine if there is going to be one of a hell kickass computer that costs like 50000$ and will be able to run games with the reqs of GTAIV PC x 10.

First off, just because your console survived Armageddon, does not mean that others consoles did. All you have to do is google PS2 Disc Read Error, or PS2 DRE or something of the sort to see the extent of the problem. It was a very valid quality control issue, to the size and scale of the xbox 360's RROD. There are plenty of 360 owners who have their consoles from launch and they work great. There are some who have had to send it in for repairs. The sole difference was the Sony warranty and the Microsoft warranty. Microsoft fessed up, Sony did not until it got sued in the form of a class action lawsuit.

And if you are spending $50000 to buy a PC, you must be smoking crack. A maxed out system would be at a maximum of $2000. And I am talking about really good here. But you can build or buy a good gaming computer that can play GTA 4 with no problem for $500+.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users