Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which GTA has the DEEPEST story?

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Which GTA has the DEEPEST story? (137 member(s) have cast votes)

Which GTA has the DEEPEST story?

1. GTA III (7 votes [5.74%])

Percentage of vote: 5.74%

2. GTA VC (5 votes [4.10%])

Percentage of vote: 4.10%

3. GTA SA (26 votes [21.31%])

Percentage of vote: 21.31%

4. GTA LCS (1 votes [0.82%])

Percentage of vote: 0.82%

5. GTA VCS (4 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

6. GTA IV (76 votes [62.30%])

Percentage of vote: 62.30%

7. GTA IV: TLAD (3 votes [2.46%])

Percentage of vote: 2.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:00 AM Edited by Mainland Marauder, 03 March 2009 - 06:04 AM.

This isn't just a " whats the best gta " or " whats the best gta story " thread. It's a " What GTA has the DEEPEST story, referring to the story that you felt most connected to the character during emotional points of the story, and any other areas of the story that felt deep to you.

Anyway,
Although VC is my favorite GTA, I think IV has the deepest storyline out of all of them, I felt connected to Niko and I actually was upset when I heard Roman was kidnapped in the game, and when and if Roman is killed at the end and many other moments of the game.

Added more spoiler tags. To everyone in this topic, please use them when necessary, particularly in regards to IV/TLAD. Thanks -MM

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:24 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 03 March 2009 - 06:32 AM.

Easily IV. It's the only story where I've felt "emotion". There were some parts where I actually felt sorry for Niko. I know this sounds kind of corny, but there were alot of times where I felt like I was going to tear up like when Niko killed Dwayne. I felt really bad after I killed him.

No story prior has done that to me. IV's story is just so well written.

Laufas
  • Laufas

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

Yeh, GTA IV easily.. I mean not only on a deep level it's also the best story of all games.. I really felt sorry for Niko after I killed Darko felt like it didn't really help him and that he made the wrong choice.. On a deep level this game is just so amazing I mean the story behind the diamonds, seriously that is some deep stuff, there's lots of connections to TLaD and it's really deep in a great way!

This is going to sound extremely wierd but if Roman calls me and asks if I wanna go like play pool or something I feel bad if I say no.. Haha I really cared for the characters in this game!

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

Yeah same here... I genuinely felt betrayed and pissed off when Dimitri betrays you and burns down Romans apartment/taxi depot, I genuinely wanted to kill him. Same when he kidnapped Roman.

Also I kinda felt sorry for Playboy when you kill him.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Vice City Stories. Vic lost his girlfriend, who he would start having serious dates with when his enemies would be down and that plan failed which forced him to simply get his revenge and leave town. IV had quite emotional story too specially when you killed characters who beg for their lives or the end where Niko loses a close person.

In San Andreas the betrayal by Smoke and Ryder pissed me off a lot too. LCS is probably the happiest GTA and VC follows because there are no major loses other than Tommy's closest associate betraying him and GTA III had an emotional end when Asuka was killed.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

The thing about Tommy is that he was betrayed by Lance who he did not even know until arriving in Vice. Sure, things went south between him and Sonny, but I look at it more like Tommy turned his back on Sonny by going on building his own empire instead of reclaiming Forelli's money after the botched drug deal. If I was Sonny I'd have been pissed off too.

I'm actually surprised not to see VC getting more votes, as doting on Tommy as GTAFers tend to be. Yeah, he's one bad SOB and storyline's engaging but let's face it - it's just a thinly veiled retelling of Scarface.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Mar 3 2009, 15:43)
The thing about Tommy is that he was betrayed by Lance who he did not even know until arriving in Vice. Sure, things went south between him and Sonny, but I look at it more like Tommy turned his back on Sonny by going on building his own empire instead of reclaiming Forelli's money after the botched drug deal. If I was Sonny I'd have been pissed off too.

I'm actually surprised not to see VC getting more votes, as doting on Tommy as GTAFers tend to be. Yeah, he's one bad SOB and storyline's engaging but let's face it - it's just a thinly veiled retelling of Scarface.

I think Tommy actually didn't care about Sonny's warnings because he probably knew Sonny's plan was using him as their running dog down south to do them the dirty work and also knew that Sonny had set him up when he went to prison. Personally I never considered Sonny a close person to Tommy, but rather some annoying prick who couldn't stop calling him and talking a bunch of sh*t.

KevinR1990
  • KevinR1990

Jersey Dude

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:42 PM Edited by KevinR1990, 03 March 2009 - 11:16 PM.

I voted for IV. The moment when the apartment and cab depot were burned down, and I learned that Roman had left in the apartment the engagement ring that he was planning on giving to Mallorie... that really stung. And then there's the endings, both of them. Man, I wanted Dimitri and Pegorino dead after that. The whole diamond deal also felt like something out of a Scorcese flick. And finally, although some of you may disagree with me, the Marnie subplot was pretty touching. If a game can get me to care about a character who only appears in two random encounters, then that's a sign that the developers have talent.

VCS has the next deepest story in my opinion. I felt quite a sense of loss when Louise was killed. Next, I feel, would be SA. CJ's betrayal at the hands of Smoke and Ryder was that game's best moment, in my opinion, and CJ, dare I say it, was pretty likable. He wasn't a total monster like some of the other protagonists, and if that makes him a "pussy," then so be it. LCS was definitely the weakest story in the series. None of the characters or plot twists did anything except fill in the background of III. I can forgive it, though, because it was Rockstar's first attempt on the PSP.

VC is a special case. Yes, the storyline and characters were cool, and Tommy Vercetti was a badass, but when you get down to it, he was also quite an asshole. Sonny Forelli sent him down to Vice City to help expand the Forelli Family empire and, later, to recover the money from the drug deal that got ambushed. Tommy, however, got greedy, and built his own empire down south, keeping the money and the coke from the botched drug deal for himself. And then, Tommy is surprised when the Forellis come down and start knocking off his businesses. If I were Sonny, I would have done the exact same thing that he had done given the circumstances. There's also the little thing about him putting Dwayne and Jethro out of work after he bought the docks. VC was a very cool game, capturing the atmosphere of the '80s perfectly, but ultimately, what it's glamorizing is the "greed is good" mentality that ultimately caused our current recession. The crooked businessman, Tommy Vercetti, is portrayed as a hero, while Sonny Forelli, the big, powerful leader trying to keep him in check (i.e. the government - remember Reagan's famous quote about government being the problem?), and who Tommy believes set him up (never confirmed), is the villain. This is another reason why I think that a new Vice City (particularly one set in the '80s) isn't a good idea - another celebration of the high-flying Reagan era wouldn't go over nearly as well today as it did in 2002.

Come to think of it, looking back at what I've just said, VC is a much deeper game than I originally gave it credit for. If I could devote so much time examining how its storyline and message were products of its era, and how those things wouldn't resonate so well today, then it's a lot deeper than just the Scarface clone that it appears to be at first glance.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Mar 3 2009, 01:24)
Easily IV. It's the only story where I've felt "emotion". There were some parts where I actually felt sorry for Niko. I know this sounds kind of corny, but there were alot of times where I felt like I was going to tear up like when Niko killed Dwayne. I felt really bad after I killed him.

I completely agree man - but the thing it's revolutionary branching story where you can make multiple choices is quite badly done IMO. There is usually always a right choice and a wrong choice, without really potent implications - like Morals Vs. Difficulty.
Until the very last choice of having Roman or more money, there really isn't any instances where it's either the moral high-ground or really bad implications. I'd much more prefered if the choices where so much more difficult. For me most were pretty very easy - and I never really regretted any choice I ever made. The problem with that is I felt the game was - as a result - very immature and almost indirectly aimed at a much younger audience than the 18+ it says on the box. I really would liked choices like if you choose to kill Playboy X, his gang will always be after you - doing drive-bys and picking fights whenever you go to their turf for the rest of the game. If you kill Francis McReary, cops will always be investigating you - and you have to take part in mini-games throughout to evade them or get an automatic 3 star wanted level. If you kill Junkie McReary, eventually Packy finds out and stops being your friend - furthermore sending Irish Mobsters after you throughout the game.

But instead, all consiquences were so minor, the potency of your actions is all undone - and you can forget all about it as soon as the end-of-mission jingle comes on.

tjawzy
  • tjawzy

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Of course it's IV. How can anybody not agree?! The story, including the major characters, have got more mature, serious and socially realistic now.

In the GTA 3 series VCS definately had the best storyline, SA and VC was decent, while the stories in 3 and LCS was garbage.

George Brosnan
  • George Brosnan

Bring It, Fool.

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

I go with VCS, that game realy made me feel its meaning, when Louise dies, and the look at a poor man who enjoyed his job and was kicked out when all he was doing was helping his superiors, his struggle to build an empire, its just so amazing

.AshRemains
  • .AshRemains

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Mar 3 2009, 06:00)
connected, emotional points, deep

These words and GTA do not mix.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (D- Ice @ Mar 4 2009, 03:55)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Mar 3 2009, 01:24)

I completely agree man - but the thing it's revolutionary branching story where you can make multiple choices is quite badly done IMO. There is usually always a right choice and a wrong choice, without really potent implications - like Morals Vs. Difficulty.
Until the very last choice of having Roman or more money, there really isn't any instances where it's either the moral high-ground or really bad implications. I'd much more prefered if the choices where so much more difficult. For me most were pretty very easy - and I never really regretted any choice I ever made. The problem with that is I felt the game was - as a result - very immature and almost indirectly aimed at a much younger audience than the 18+ it says on the box. I really would liked choices like if you choose to kill Playboy X, his gang will always be after you - doing drive-bys and picking fights whenever you go to their turf for the rest of the game. If you kill Francis McReary, cops will always be investigating you - and you have to take part in mini-games throughout to evade them or get an automatic 3 star wanted level. If you kill Junkie McReary, eventually Packy finds out and stops being your friend - furthermore sending Irish Mobsters after you throughout the game.

But instead, all consiquences were so minor, the potency of your actions is all undone - and you can forget all about it as soon as the end-of-mission jingle comes on.

I agree most of the implications were pretty weak, but it was R*'s first shot at something like that in a GTA game. I hope in the next GTA the choices are retained, and the implications are more complex, and affect the story more.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (.AshRemains @ Mar 3 2009, 19:06)
QUOTE (Irviding @ Mar 3 2009, 06:00)
connected, emotional points, deep

These words and GTA do not mix.

If you just play the game to cause destruction and kill random NPC's, then good for you.

I for one enjoy playing the game like a movie.

Spräckta
  • Spräckta

War's no fairytale

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

GTA III: It was great. The mafioso atmosphere was appealing. I loved it, I miss most of the weapons though like the M16.

GTA VC: I liked it to an extent, too much play at the Scarface theme. I absolutely loved the color scheme and I've played this version way more than any other.

GTA SA: Absolutely wonderful game, the gangs, music and personalization of CJ kept me loving this game.

GTA IV: I love it, but this version lost its GTA feel to it, honestly. It feels like I'm playing True Crime Streets of LA most of the time.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:47 PM Edited by Flesh-n-Bone, 04 March 2009 - 02:50 PM.

QUOTE (George Brosnan @ Mar 4 2009, 00:08)
I go with VCS, that game realy made me feel its meaning, when Louise dies, and the look at a poor man who enjoyed his job and was kicked out when all he was doing was helping his superiors, his struggle to build an empire, its just so amazing

Couldn't agree more. I mean a bunch of people always talk sh*t and badly about Vic and the storyline because he "keeps on saying that he hates drugs but is still drug trafficking.", but what choice did he have? He got kicked out of the army with his promising career and his only hope to get the money for his brothers payment. That forced him to do something he HATED, killing people and dealing drugs. Upon building his empire he got what he wanted and in the end when his job was done he simply left town and also left all his businesses behind simply because he was never interested to start with.

The game has such an emotional story, I just love the way R* made it. I felt quite connected to Vic's serious attitude and his tiredness towards life as a criminal.

I personally also like how R* made LCS' storyline so gladly ended without any real betrayal or emotion, that makes the game less depressing and more interesting because you get what you want. I personally think the story could have had way more effort put into it and more emotion when Salvatore was arrested, such as it was with Sweet in San Andreas., in other words, the Leone's would lose all influence and had to rebuild the gang from the beginning when he was released.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:42 PM Edited by Pr0xy_fl00d3r, 04 March 2009 - 04:45 PM.

On an emotional level, I would say IV, although San andreas had some emotional parts, like when you kill big smoke.

Romans sorrow was emotional, as all what Roman had built had suddenly gone

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

GTA IV. Some missions were really touching. Also San Andreas had some special moments.

George Brosnan
  • George Brosnan

Bring It, Fool.

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Rucke @ Mar 4 2009, 21:44)
GTA IV. Some missions were really touching. Also San Andreas had some special moments.

Its amazing, Grand theft auto is supposed to be a senseless and pointless killing game, but if you sit down, play the game, or for just sit and read this forum, you find that all grand theft auto's have a meaning to them, and a storyline, just like any other game, and that is the reason that I love this series so much.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (George Brosnan @ Mar 5 2009, 08:58)

Its amazing, Grand theft auto is supposed to be a senseless and pointless killing game, but if you sit down, play the game, or for just sit and read this forum, you find that all grand theft auto's have a meaning to them, and a storyline, just like any other game, and that is the reason that I love this series so much.

On the surface alot of people would see GTA as a, like you said senseless killing game, but I play it for the story.

I think R* are getting better with each game. I prefer the stories that have emotion, then stories that are just about killing. Look at SR2 for example. It tried, and failed IMO to create an emotional bond between the player, and characters within the game.

The GTA series is just one of those franchises that just draw you into each game through developed, and emotional plots.

George Brosnan
  • George Brosnan

Bring It, Fool.

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Mar 4 2009, 22:19)
QUOTE (George Brosnan @ Mar 5 2009, 08:58)

On the surface alot of people would see GTA as a, like you said senseless killing game, but I play it for the story.

I think R* are getting better with each game. I prefer the stories that have emotion, then stories that are just about killing. Look at SR2 for example. It tried, and failed IMO to create an emotional bond between the player, and characters within the game.

The GTA series is just one of those franchises that just draw you into each game through developed, and emotional plots.

Agree

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Mar 4 2009, 23:19)

I agree, most of the GTA stories have emotions and a great story that touches the players heart. Rockstar are just best at doing these type of games which is why GTA is the king of sandbox games, everything about it is perfect, the games from the series never cease to amaze me. Saints Row is just a game made for pure fun, I would hardly call it a story specially when you can make your character look like a retard to a serious businessman.

George Brosnan
  • George Brosnan

Bring It, Fool.

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Mar 4 2009, 22:29)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Mar 4 2009, 23:19)

I agree, most of the GTA stories have emotions and a great story that touches the players heart. Rockstar are just best at doing these type of games which is why GTA is the king of sandbox games, everything about it is perfect, the games from the series never cease to amaze me. Saints Row is just a game made for pure fun, I would hardly call it a story specially when you can make your character look like a retard to a serious businessman.

I make myself look like a retard on SR2 for fun.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

IV

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:40 AM

IV. In the other games, the protagonist kills, and there are no regrets. Niko on the other hand doesn't want that life. He doesn't want to kill or be a criminal, but he is pushed into it. Driven by the need to protect the ones he loves, and seek revenge on those that have done him and Roman wrong. In the other games, you can get a pretty strong feeling that the protagonists will just continue with their criminally minded ways, but in IV you get almost the opposite feeling. You're still not sure what happens to Niko, but you get the feeling he'd probably stop the violence and fade into the sea of criminally benign people that call Liberty City home.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r
  • Pr0xy_fl00d3r

The Droogs, Finally real rapists on the scene.

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (zeppelincheetah @ Mar 5 2009, 06:08)
IV

Nice, one line answer, how constructive.

I can see by the lack of votes that LCS wasn't emotional ¬_¬

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Look, it's good to participate, but if you're going to post in addition to voting, you might explain why you made your choice. It's more constructive than just posting "IV" or "agree." Also, let's cut down on the excessive smilies.

Not trying to call anyone out here, just speaking in general. Also, if you see a rulebreaking post, don't reply - report. icon14.gif

klintmane
  • klintmane

Simple Texturizer :p

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Well I'd like to have the chance to vote both IV and SA...Both stories are very touching.I also remember the old times playing The Godfather which I think is one of the games with the best storyline ever.In the last two Gta-s you get the bad feeling even after killing a ped because it's like they actually send you a message through da' GAME

Now or Never
  • Now or Never

Mr. Sabatini

• Members

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

No, I think gta sa has the deepest story, because its about [spoile]cj[\spoiler] get the revenge of his mom, and when they put his brother in jail he forgets about the gangs and goes after the money
so when his brother gets out of jail he gets furious with him because he forgot about the gang.
And the betraydes and other things, I think it just got more feelings.

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

GTA: Chinatown Wars

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users