Photo

Lost in Translation

26 replies to this topic
SuburbanCorrespondent
  • SuburbanCorrespondent

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Let me get this out of the way - I love GTA. I LOVE it. But there's one thing about the series that's been bugging me from the beginning and TLAD really made it more obvious for me. The fact is that the dialogue is written by British people in a British style, and that makes some things sound very awkward when read by the American voice actors. It's like listening to an American quote Monty Python... the point comes across, but something is just lost in translation.

It's a subtle thing, but at times it can be very obvious. Americans don't refer to their friends as "mates". They don't "fancy" anything. They say "too" instead of "as well". (One of the more awkward moments for me is when Jimmy Pegorino yells "Not you as well! Not you as well!") In an e-mail from Johnny's brother in the (American) Marines, he refers to Billy as an "arsehole". Obviously there are many more examples. For a team so obsessed with details, why can't Rockstar do just a little bit of research on American grammar?

I know this sounds like nitpicking, but when it comes up it really takes me out of the "reality" of the game. And of course, it wouldn't bother me as much if so much thought hadn't been put into making absolutely every detail of the game as genuine as possible.

ChanandlerBong
  • ChanandlerBong

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:13 PM

If Johnnys brother was serving in Iraq or Afganistan he may have picked it up from British troops so that sort of explains that part.

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

I think you're being a bit general as well, because as you can see from that sentence I just typed, I use most of those phrases and I've never been outside the US. It isn't about your location, it's about speaking f*cking proper English.

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

That arsehole thing pissed me off

Nico Bellic
  • Nico Bellic

Well...Since you've put it that way...i'm in.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

its not an american game ,Dan and hes brother Sam are from UK and so are most of the people in R* if you ask me, so they do not need to make everything the way that it really is,i actually don't care how they speak in game,for me its perfect and i like it...thats like the oblivious thing that says : "the game is european " ...

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

if all those words mean the same thing, then what does it matter? Im more concerned about R* making the game play and look as good as possible, not try and go into such detail as to spell colour without a U or something. Since Im from the UK anyway, I dont notice much difference...

Dragonex100
  • Dragonex100

I run this town! Me!

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:06 PM

I really dont mind it. In fact, I've never noticed it.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

I don't mind really.

P.S I just noticed, 600th post! rampage_ani.gif

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:37 PM Edited by tony-resta, 28 February 2009 - 11:39 PM.

Get used to it then, just because it's set in america doesn't mean they have to adapt the language for you guys, it's still english, matter of fact, the REAL english.

P.S. dont take that as an offense, i'm just saying, it's good cultural lessons for americans. biggrin.gif

Saintdestroyer
  • Saintdestroyer

★★★★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:14 AM

Guess i should be thankful i'm british after all.

Stink_Fist
  • Stink_Fist

Goo Goo G'Joob

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:15 AM

Rockstar North Ltd. (formerly DMA Design Ltd.) are developers of computer and video games based in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Dan Houser is a British video game producer who is currently vice president (along with his brother Sam)

dozingoff.gif

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

I'm Just Sittin' Here...

• Members
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:19 AM

In fact, I have noticed times where in the PAL version (English) some words are spelled as their American equivalent. Although I'm not complaining, I couldn't give two sh*ts. Tomato-Tomata (pronunciation, not the spelling tounge.gif ), all the same.

Und3r5c0r3
  • Und3r5c0r3

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:24 AM Edited by Und3r5c0r3, 01 March 2009 - 03:34 AM.

I noticed it too. The small mistakes are the most annoying.

I say tow-may-tow, you say tow-mah-tow, I say what the f*ck? Did you just pronounce it tow-mah-tow?

GameJunkie00
  • GameJunkie00

Lance Vance Dance

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:09 AM Edited by GameJunkie00, 01 March 2009 - 04:15 AM.

ugh, its like criticizing someone for using GOOD grammer, you can still understand it just fine.

i didn't know R* was british/english happy.gif

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (GameJunkie00 @ Mar 1 2009, 06:09)
ugh, its like criticizing someone for using GOOD grammer, you can still understand it just fine.

i didn't know R* was british/english happy.gif

Massive facepalm.

numdmind
  • numdmind

numdmind

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

Another example is when they use the term "park up".

I agree with the TC here. I love GTA and have for many many years, but it's obvious that Americans aren't making this game that's based in America. There's no excuse, especially the one where people say they are from the UK, because most of them now live in New York.

I've noticed in a previous GTA that they said "toilet" with an "R" in it somehow. Kind of sounds like "terlit". I think it was in San Andreas on the radio.

Also, when Packie uses "me" instead of "I". Sure, he's of Irish descent, but he was born in America. I understand Derrick's use of "me" because he was in the old country until recently, but Packie is just a plastic paddy and probably never left America.

I've noticed something on these forums as well. The spellcheck tends to mark words as spelled wrong when I use the American spelling. I can't think of any particular word at the moment, but it happens pretty often.

And I'm sick of those British saying "aluminium"...Anyone who played San Andreas should get that. If you didn't, then oh well.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (numdmind @ Mar 1 2009, 19:20)

I've noticed something on these forums as well. The spellcheck tends to mark words as spelled wrong when I use the American spelling. I can't think of any particular word at the moment, but it happens pretty often.

There is no GTAF spellcheck. If you're using Firefox, see what language setting you have. If it's English (UK), change it to English (US).

okei
  • okei

Dressed to kill like I'm Gianni Versace

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Maybe he was taught British English or a mix?

SuburbanCorrespondent
  • SuburbanCorrespondent

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (numdmind @ Mar 1 2009, 19:20)
I agree with the TC here. I love GTA and have for many many years, but it's obvious that Americans aren't making this game that's based in America. There's no excuse, especially the one where people say they are from the UK, because most of them now live in New York.

Also, when Packie uses "me" instead of "I". Sure, he's of Irish descent, but he was born in America. I understand Derrick's use of "me" because he was in the old country until recently, but Packie is just a plastic paddy and probably never left America.

Thank you - I didn't expect so many people to disagree with me so passionately, but it just goes to show how many international GTA fans there are. Which is fine, but my main point is that if they're going to spend so much time getting everything just right, why can't they put just a little effort into making Americans sound like Americans?

I'm not being prejudiced here, but whoever said GTA was not an American game couldn't be further from the truth. The entire game is a parody of all things American, from the cities to the cars to the radio stations to our entire consumer culture. If that's the case, why not do a little bit of research and find out how Americans actually talk?

gypo
  • gypo

Mightyman

• Members

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

The could have went totally scottish and the rest of the world would be confussed to f*ck, the fact that you understand should be the point.

Ned song

livejoker
  • livejoker

Look Deep In My Eyes As I Touch You

• Van Society
  • None

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:39 AM

Just be glad that these guys started R* or else you wouldn't be moaning over some minor spelling or whatever you guys call it.

But, didn't R* Toronto worked on this?

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:31 AM

It's not a car park-- it's A PARKING LOT!

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:51 AM

Atleast they don't always use wanker over jerk off. Some of the British sounding (or British-like) characters are hillarious though in GTA games. I forgot what Maccer was, but he was funnier than hell! "Oi, guess what?! I'm getting breast implants!"

There is not too much differences between UK English and USA English, it's just that the UK English is more original or cultural and the USA English is more modernized. The British seem to like to add a "u" after an "o" in quite a bit of words like "color" to make it "colour", or the USA takes the "u" out. I actually have some British in me though, but it's probably like 1/8th or something like that.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

Archie, you LugHead, It's british slang for a truck... "a Lorrie", hell, even Aaron Garbut called them that!

I mean Car Park is the UK expression IIRC, and used in Vice City, when you go get the gun in the Coronel's mission to meet up with and protect Diaz

MrGtaman
  • MrGtaman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

Most of the game's characters are immigrants and probably learned UK English, so that might be the explanation smile.gif Seriously, I expected russians to pronounce "th" as "z"...

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

There's no avoiding RN's own influence upon it, they may forget to look at it from an American's perspective. What the American's experience as one who only lived in the Continental US.

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:39 AM

It's partly up to the actor to take the initiative to question the script if he thinks his character shouldn't talk like that. With San Andreas you had some actors who were from the places their characters were from and obviously they were consulted or CJ would sound like he was from London.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users