» «
Photo

[WIP|FX|III] Real Effects for GTA3

103 replies to this topic
1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:15 AM Edited by 1TUFSS, 06 May 2009 - 09:32 AM.

Post your comments, opinions and suggestions. Try and keep it alive, not like the other thread which is currently floating dead in the water.

Remember, this is the OFFICIAL thread for REP V2.0, so ONLY this thread will be updated by me and used for suggestions, etc.

RELEASED 6/5/2009

SLAYERMAGGOT
  • SLAYERMAGGOT

Stay Wild

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

The new car reflections looks better in my opinion, everything else is nice to.
But what you should overwork is the splattering blood, it looks more like blood puke or something. smile.gif

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

You mean the blood puddles? Yeah, these ones don't look right, that's why I'm gonna be making a custom texture.

kalashnikov_vodka
  • kalashnikov_vodka

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

Nice job man icon14.gif ! I realy like what you done so far! Keep it up!
One question, are those cars from the Xbox version of GTA 3, becasue they look realy nice!?

Daan17
  • Daan17

84's Vice City

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Does GTA3 support AA? On Your screens I can't see it tounge.gif

In Your previous version the flame had more red colour so it looked more realistic (or these screens doesn't show it properly)

Otherwise it looks great

g30dud3
  • g30dud3

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

Excellent work man icon14.gif But I still don't think that radar suits GTA3 tounge.gif

=OG4life=
  • =OG4life=

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:12 PM Edited by =OG4life=, 01 March 2009 - 07:10 PM.

These effects make GTAIII look so much better.

Nice work. icon14.gif

Millenia
  • Millenia

Gunz 'R Us

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

Great work, especially the reflections are REALLY sweet.

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (Daan17 @ Feb 26 2009, 16:43)
Does GTA3 support AA? On Your screens I can't see it tounge.gif

In Your previous version the flame had more red colour so it looked more realistic (or these screens doesn't show it properly)

Otherwise it looks great

Nah, GTA3 doesn't support AA by default, you have to try and force it using your video drivers. On mine it doesn't like forcing AA, so I'm stuck without it. If anyone could help me that would be great.

Also the fire is more realistic in my opinion, the red wasn't too realistic because fires don't tend to look that way (unless dust/dirt is scattering the light). The flamethrower still shoots red fire though, which I like.

QUOTE (kalashnikov_vodka)
One question, are those cars from the Xbox version of GTA 3, becasue they look realy nice!?
No, they are OnePiece's HD GTA cars. Look here: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=303247

QUOTE (g30dud3)
But I still don't think that radar suits GTA3 tounge.gif
That's a completely different mod, which isn't included in the effects pack. I hated the orange radar from gta3 to bits, especially seeing as it didn't show where buildings, grass, paths, alleyways and water were located. It makes the game look too way too 1995...

If you want a laugh, have a look at Claude in the last picture on the top row tounge2.gif

Cheers

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

Well, a higher quality/sharper radar could be nice. But based off the original one (to keep the GTAIII feeling).

Because that's also something that bothered me ... the radar being really pixelated/low quality.

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

Yojo2 already has a mod exactly like that - HD icons and radar.

Here you go:

HQ Radar Icons
HQ Radar Textures

Download both.

I will be regularly updating this thread with pictures and news of new developments in the mod.

Until then, sit tight people... Work on GTA3's first ever effects pack is continuing.

a4uks
  • a4uks

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

it is awome very good job icon14.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cool.gif

rebel_36
  • rebel_36

dot connectah

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

looks good, but actually its all been done before :P

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

I can deliver some 'HQ hud icons' (you know, the ones used for the 'weapon icons'). But NOTHING from it is my work, all come from the SA LC mod. (someone made it and I think they even used it for the mod).

All I did was put it ingame... but I don't remember who the original author was, so I don't want to 'release'/spread it around without knowing the author/having his/her permission.

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:34 AM Edited by 1TUFSS, 28 February 2009 - 08:39 AM.

I've started editing timecyc.dat.

Another thing I've always hated about gta3 was its cartoonish blue-sky-and-pink-clouds sunsets.

Not anymore!

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The sun will also have more of an effect on buildings, vehicles and peds - sunsets will cast an orange glow over buildings and cars, clear, sunny days make things brighter, foggy, rainy days will make things darker. Fires will also be brighter at night (as in SA/IV).

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:44 PM Edited by 1TUFSS, 28 February 2009 - 12:53 PM.

Picture time!

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Nights now have a mix of deep navy blue and black skies, with some darker, more realistic clouds.

However, this is only the "Sunny" weather pattern. I've still got to do the other three - rainy, foggy and cloudy.

@ rebel96: What's been done before? Nobody else has ever bothered to make an effects pack for gta3. I'm the first... 8 years after gta3 was released, LOL.

=OG4life=
  • =OG4life=

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

I love the new timecyc. wow.gif

Good job.

loczek47
  • loczek47

They call me "Random Funny Guy".

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

I love sunny weather icon14.gif I hated GTA III because it don't include sunny weather icon14.gif

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:55 PM Edited by 1TUFSS, 28 February 2009 - 01:10 PM.

I'm planning for the weather to (kinda) resemble gta4... pink sky on sunrise, orange sunsets, less gray, more blue skies, and realistic night skies. Not only that... timecyc.dat provides lighting for the entire map. So I'll be able to change the glow on buildings, peds and vehicles during certain times of day. It works... when it's sunset, everything has an orange tint.

What I WON'T be doing, however, is making Vice City weather... if I wanted blue skies every day I'd just buy a damn ticket to Miami. That said... I will be porting the effects pack to Vice City, as soon as I get my hands on a copy of it. The Vice City version will undoubtedly be better, seeing as it's far less restrictive and doesn't use SA's extremely complicated particle system. The VC version will also, like the gta3 version, maintain the theme of the original game. VC will still have beautiful weather... but with realism splashed all over it.

Daan17
  • Daan17

84's Vice City

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

Nice weather icon14.gif Where have You from these weapon icons? They're hq.

Good You're thinking about Vice City biggrin.gif

SLAYERMAGGOT
  • SLAYERMAGGOT

Stay Wild

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

The weather is looking very awesome icon14.gif
But can you make HD Clouds instead of this old crappy clouds?

fiercedeity9
  • fiercedeity9

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

You're a very clever guy. Excellent work, can't wait for Xbox pack!

Fireburns
  • Fireburns

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Nice progress 1TUFFS!

I really like the new moon with the glow and the night effects! Hopefully you can increase the overall lighting. GTA3 looks really dark most of the time. I'm fully aware that this was the intention of the R*, but especially in sunny conditions I miss the strong shadows and the sun which enlightens all the buildings etc...

One thing which could be improved over the last version are the little leafs which twirl trough GTA3. To me they seem to big, they are nearly the size of a newspaper. What do you think?

Off topic: When do you intend to release your addon pack with the 2 cars OP created?

And I'd definitely like to know where you got your HD-icons too! biggrin.gif

Keep it up, the GTA3 community really appreciates for your work! cookie.gif

Fireburns

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (SLAYERMAGGOT @ Feb 28 2009, 15:33)
The weather is looking very awesome icon14.gif
But can you make HD Clouds instead of this old crappy clouds?

I actually already have some cloud textures. But GTA3 has a weird bug with one of the cloud textures - if you try to replace it, it turns all weird - sharp edges and everything.

I'll see what I can do with the other ones though.

QUOTE (Daan17)
Nice weather icon14.gif Where have You from these weapon icons? They're hq.
They're from OnePiece's LC2010 mod.

Fireburns... shadows will be mildly stronger, especially on sunny days.

I reckon the leaves are fine for now, I'll leave them as they are.

And yeah, I'm a lazy bastard. I'll release the addon pack as soon as I can.

rebel_36
  • rebel_36

dot connectah

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (1TUFSS @ Feb 28 2009, 12:44)
@ rebel96: What's been done before? Nobody else has ever bothered to make an effects pack for gta3. I'm the first... 8 years after gta3 was released, LOL.

ive released one last year but only here on gtaf

i went trough my old files and packed the particle stuff together, along with a couple of other files that could be helpful for gta3 modders, plus 2 concepts of mods that ive never finished (damn i used to have some good ideas) :P

feel free to use anything if you like http://www.speedysha.../508149597.html

the orange sky looks pretty sweet, timecyc has a rather big influence on the game feeling, i always liked the dark red skies you can see in gta3 beta vids, makes the game look even more gritty, theres an example pic in the RAR named redsky1.jpg (ok a bit too red/dark :P)

oh and another thing, a blueish and cold tinted theme would look great too imo, if you watch the video clip of "method man - all i need to get by" on youtube you see what i mean, cant link it cause "this video is not available in your country"

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:45 AM Edited by 1TUFSS, 01 March 2009 - 03:06 AM.

Clouds have been finished! They're four times bigger than the originals and are 32bit, as compared to 8bit. Unfortunately only 2 of the textures are HD - the rest I left untouched, seeing as gta3 has the annoying "cloud bug". VC and SA have it too...

user posted image

There's also another bonus - it seems that some of gta3's smoke effects use these cloud textures. The result? Engine smoke effects are now looking a million dollars. I've also redone the particle line for the black engine smoke, which means it now floats into the air, just like gta4... will get a pic soon.

[EDIT:] @ Rebel36: Thanks for the stuff, I'll have a look through it. Credit's given to you in the mod.

I may try to implement the red sky in the mod. If I do, it will appear immediately after sunset, or in the morning.

kalashnikov_vodka
  • kalashnikov_vodka

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Absolutely amazing icon14.gif ! GTA 3 looks so much better with all these new effects! I can't wait to see it finished!

Rim
  • Rim

sup

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

I love your new timecyc inlove.gif It looks like in vcs

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

I was gonna post screenshots but Photobucket's undergoing a bit of maintenance.

I've finished the red sky (well, I've got the basic colour, but I need to fix the lighting).

Oh yeah and thanks Rebel, the red sky looks damn gritty, also your explosions are much better than mine. I've included them in the mod (but added some bit-depth to them, as they were only 8bit).

I'm also doing night-time effects - now, night is NIGHT in Liberty City - no more super-bright nights. It also means the reflections show up more, which is a realistic touch.

This might take a while - this is only the "sunny" weather pattern, GTA3 also has "rainy", "cloudy" and "foggy". Each weather pattern is divided into 12 hours, with about 6 to 10 settings that I can play with for each hour.

So hold on people, might take a while but this'll blow your minds. Cheers. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

1TUFSS
  • 1TUFSS

Full Throttle.

• Members

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

Photobucket's back up. That means one thing - picture time.

Rebel_36's explosion effects (slightly modified to 24-bit depth by myself).
user posted image

Night time is night time. No more super-bright nights.
user posted image

Red sky (this is an earlier pic, mind you, the lighting may look too saturated):
user posted image

Another pic of the red sky (this one's newer though, still haven't fixed the lighting yet):
user posted image

The red sky's not on for too long - it's set to appear at 8pm on a sunny night, meaning that it fades in between 7 and 8 and fades out between 8 and 9. So you'll only really get to see it for an hour before night kicks in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users