» «
Photo

How to modify your TV to play home spun videos

10 replies to this topic
sgtmay
  • sgtmay

GTA Lurker

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:07 AM Edited by sgtmay, 26 February 2009 - 10:35 PM.

I was looking for information on modifying the television and didnt find too much so i thought i would show how i modified my TV to play a south park episode.

here's some screen shots of me testing the modification.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

To modify your television set to display your own custom video you will need Rad Video Tools.
http://www.radgameto...com/bnkdown.htm

This tool can play the existing TV channels out side of the game as well as
encode various video file formats to the .bik format used by the television in the game.

Since i could find no information on where the scripting for the television minigame is located
as well, i have not done much testing with channels other than the static,CNT and weazel files
so i can not supply any information on editing the television minigame scripts.

To modify your TV to play different videos first pick a video to encode with the rad video tools
then name it either static,CNT or weazel and save them in a folder where you can easily access
them for swapping out the original content.

After encoding your first video(which can take up to 5 hours or more for a 30 minute video) go to
your Grand Theft Auto IV game directory and open the "movies" folder(not the one in my documents)
then drag and drop either static,CNT or weazel to the root game directory to make room for your custom
video with out overwriting your originals.

Next go to the folder you stored your custom video in then select and copy it..... then paste it in the
games movie folder..... never overwrite the original video files unless you dont want to ever watch
them again without reinstalling.

Start your game..... go to your TV and enjoy the show biggrin.gif

:after thought update
You could name it "static" and replace the static channel for a third working channel on any
safe house television in the game that displays static.... but some televisions have no "static" channel

GM965_X3100
  • GM965_X3100

GEFORCE_8200IGP

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:28 AM

THANKS

sgtmay
  • sgtmay

GTA Lurker

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (GM965_X3100 @ Feb 26 2009, 05:28)
THANKS

no prob.... glad to help smile.gif

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:43 PM Edited by buzbegone, 27 February 2009 - 01:02 PM.

Yes, well done but I remain a bit skeptic due to the picture border on the TV, it seems to be blocky as if it were photoshopped onto it. Are you absolutely sure ALL of the info you gave us is legitimate?

I spite of that, I've installed RAD Video Tools and there is about 10 .exe's I can double-click on in the folder, which one is needed?

sgtmay
  • sgtmay

GTA Lurker

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:12 PM Edited by sgtmay, 27 February 2009 - 01:17 PM.

go to your start menu and use the rad video tools short cut
the one it points to is radvideo.exe

and im not faking it..... thats the real deal in the pictures..... try it your self and see wink.gif

i have had previous experience with the rad video tools from modding command and conquer
way back in the Tiberian sun and RA2 days.... i was kinda surprised to see it show up in this game.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

I too am trying South Park but it takes too long to convert, going to have to leave it overnight

sjaak327
  • sjaak327

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Feb 27 2009, 13:52)
I too am trying South Park but it takes too long to convert, going to have to leave it overnight

Yep it takes ages and ages. I have done this myself for a 10-15 minute clip, and if I remember correctly it took about
2 hours to convert. Of course threads about this very subject were on these forums way in the beginning of december
already when the game was just out.

sgtmay
  • sgtmay

GTA Lurker

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (sjaak327 @ Feb 27 2009, 16:29)
Yep it takes ages and ages. I have done this myself for a 10-15 minute clip, and if I remember correctly it took about
2 hours to convert. Of course threads about this very subject were on these forums way in the beginning of december
already when the game was just out.

i wonder why they didnt show when i searched the whole site for key
words like "editing television" and "television mod".... thought i had searched pretty thoroughly sad.gif

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:43 AM

It works, I understand from what sjaak said that this has been found before but is new to me so thanks sgtmay

sgtmay
  • sgtmay

GTA Lurker

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:19 PM Edited by sgtmay, 28 February 2009 - 01:21 PM.

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Feb 28 2009, 04:43)
It works, I understand from what sjaak said that this has been found before but is new to me so thanks sgtmay

no prob dude biggrin.gif

personally....i would like to find the scripts for the televisions so i could make a modified
script for the VCR on the shelf right below the TV so you could pick what videos you wanted to play.

lpgunit
  • lpgunit

It's L, as in Lpgunit, not I.

• Feroci Racing
  • Philippines

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

I also thought of modding the TV files after finding out that the game uses Bink for FMVs, and not some one-of-a-kind, proprietary format...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users