New Gang System

36 replies to this topic
Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

I have had this idea since yesterday but since I was not in the situation of putting it up, I'm doing it now. Please don't lock, because this idea should have more attention than being simply posted in a huge topic where most stuff get ignored (What do you want in GTA: NeXt).

Like said, the gang system changes completely. We all know every GTA game features a great number of gangs in them and sometimes you are allied with them while enemy with others. What I have in mind is, how about a respect level for all gangs. It's between -50 (red color) to 100% (green color). The more respect, the better the gang will treat you. When you are in red color, the specific gang hates you. It's a matter of time and they will attempt a few hits on your life too. If you kill a number of 5 gang members you lose 5% of respect, each kill drops 0.5% and a total of 5 (around the same time) makes a total of 5% dropped. After -20, the gang will hate you and if you are around their turf they will attack you.

When you reach -35, the gang will send a death squad in a four door car and they will drive-by the hell off you before coming after you on foot, if you choose to do so. They will be armed with Uzi's and even shotguns or assault rifles at times. Sometimes the gangs will have trouble with rivals and police, so their turf and members will be attacked, no matter what percentage (red or green) you have with respect, you can help them and raise your respect level. This will make them like you more.

If you are in the positive line (green) then the gang will like you and you will get special abilities with them. If you have a high respect level with two rival gangs you will get into hard choices at times. You will get your chances to decided which side you are going to help, after a couple of phone calls from either leaders, if you don't do your "homework", one will call you and set you up, telling you to do them a favor however it turns out to be a trap where you are attacked by random enemies (can differ from cops to psychopaths to loyal gang members and even madmen detonating themselves with bombs).

It would fit to a more "errand" storyline like GTA3 where Claude has no gang ties and just works for whoever pays or helps him (kinda like Niko too). But it works differently, you are offered to work for all the gangs, you can choose up to 3 to help but after time if they become aware of your affiliations they will hate you suddenly.

Basically this is the keys and the respect level:

0% to -19%: The gang members will attack you if you fire a bullet in their turf or kill someone (pedestrians).
-20% to -34%: The gang hates you a lot and will attack you as you cruise past their turf.
-35% to -50% (the maximum hate): Gang hates you with their guts and will try all they can to waste you, this includes attacking anything you own such as safehouses, businesses (hopefully) and turfs for gangs that respect you to drive-by attacks.

0% to 15%: The gang is your friend and wont attack you until you start killing any of them.
16% to 49%: The gangs leader will get your number and you will be able to call him and he will help you if you ask for it.
50% to 64%: You have earned the trust of the gang and they will be up for anything you want as long as you return the favors in a time limit they give you (days, weeks etc..).
65% to 80%: You can recruit the gangs members on the streets and they will help you on certain tasks you do.
81% to 100%: The gang's leader is your friend and you can go to their house, hang out with them and they will also pay for stuff if you ask them. You can also take over territories for the gang from enemies and that will raise the hate the other gangs have towards you.

Basics to earn respect and lose it:

You have to do certain things to earn/lose respect from the gangs. If you are allied with one during the storyline, you can still lose the respect by pissing them off. You lose respect by simply piss off the gang through many ways from killing them on the streets to take over their territories, to destroy their properties and even killing high ranking members that have been spotted by your allies. To earn respect on the other hand, you need to do favors. Ways of doing this include, killing enemy gang members, helping the gang's members wiping out cops or rivals who try to muscle in their business, taking over territories for them and do other stuff like repossess cars, make stores pay protection, receive drug packages they ask for and more besides that.

So I have taken a bit of time to write this all but haven't really "worked out" the idea, but you get it though, don't you? Now time for feedback's...

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Sounds pretty much like GTA 2 to me. Oh what a lovely game that was...

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Gundog @ Feb 25 2009, 17:56)

That's kind of where I got the idea from. This system about gangs is a mixture of GTA2's respect system, San Andreas' gang warfare and the respect level within your own gang (Grove Street), Vice City Stories' businesses and specifically with the whole protection, repossessing and drug things and finally, GTA IV's friends & cellphone feature.

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:10 PM Edited by Gundog, 25 February 2009 - 05:17 PM.

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Feb 25 2009, 17:02)
QUOTE (Gundog @ Feb 25 2009, 17:56)

That's kind of where I got the idea from. This system about gangs is a mixture of GTA2's respect system, San Andreas' gang warfare and the respect level within your own gang (Grove Street), Vice City Stories' businesses and specifically with the whole protection, repossessing and drug things and finally, GTA IV's friends & cellphone feature.

Sounds pretty sweet to me. I really missed the elements of the good 'ol GTA 2 respect system when III came out

Remember, respect is everything

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Feb 25 2009, 10:54)
I have had this idea since yesterday but since I was not in the situation of putting it up, I'm doing it now. Please don't lock, because this idea should have more attention than being simply posted in a huge topic where most stuff get ignored (What do you want in GTA: NeXt).

Agreed. Fair ball colgate.gif

This also sounds kind of like the respect system among the cliques in Bully. In any case, I think it's a pretty cool idea. I think your actions in freeroam could also affect things - i.e. you go around killing off members of a certain gang and you can lose respect with them, but perhaps gain with their rivals.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Feb 25 2009, 18:18)
This also sounds kind of like the respect system among the cliques in Bully. In any case, I think it's a pretty cool idea. I think your actions in freeroam could also affect things - i.e. you go around killing off members of a certain gang and you can lose respect with them, but perhaps gain with their rivals.

Didn't I mention it? That if you gang members you lose respect amongst them whereas it raises with the gangs rivals.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Feb 25 2009, 11:48)
QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Feb 25 2009, 18:18)

Didn't I mention it? That if you gang members you lose respect amongst them whereas it raises with the gangs rivals.

You did, so let me expound upon it. While including freeroam actions in the storyline could be tricky, there could be missions that may or may not be accessible according to your gang status and you kind of choose your own path to the end of the storyline, which itself could be influenced by your decisions. It's true open-endedness and you could play through several times and not play exactly the same game. It's a complicated concept, but I'd like to see something like that attempted.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Love the idea bro - that's exactly what GTA needs for almost infinite replayability. And did I see the term "Death Squad" mentioned somewhere. My God I am so proud, all that indescriminate dropping for that word in almost every post here would pay off. biggrin.gif

Also what would be cool is different responses for each different type of gang. Street gangs will send some OG's to do drive-bys on you or your usual hangouts, with very little accuracy and effectiveness. Mafia's will send hitmen after you - traditional Italian-American Families' hitmen will attempt to assassinate you in subtle ways like tailing you in their sedans, and on foot till you get to a secluded quiet spot, and they'll shoot you. While more modern Mafia like the MS187 gang I wrote about in create your own gang topic will blatantly pull up next to you in their cars, jump out in ski masks and spray at you in broad daylight. Also all Organised Crime gang hitmen might wait on a rooftop outside your safehouse for you to come back to save before head-shoting you. imagine how frustrating that'll be lol.

Then moving onto even higher, more powerfull organisations like secret societies etc..., expect cooperation with the cops, so rather than having hitmen, they might just use their power and influence to call an instance high wanted level on you. Also deathsquads - these wont be in sedans like you mentioned though bro. They'll be in unmarked vans with undercover/plain-clothes drivers. Once you're in a vulnerable position - i.e. without bodyguards (by that point in the game you should be rich and influencial enough to have your own bodyguards following you around), or in an unknown/dark area, guys in ski masks and combat vests/net-gear will jump out with SMG's, Assault Rifles, Heavy Machine Guns and RPG's - as well as grenades, flashbangs and molotovs - to near-instantaneously waste you - just like the Army in GTA 3.

Also pissing of people at that level of influence - including the government themselves - you should expect them to get allie gangs to turn against you as well, place carbombs in cars you park at your space/garage and the epitomy of awsomeness...

Abductions. Imagine walking down a street, and a van pulls right up next to you and slows down. The side-door slides open and two masked men will grab you with a rope/harness/net while van still moving and pull you inside and knock you out. They take you to a special secret detention centre where they torture (water-boards and rape too ofcourse tounge2.gif ) before attempting to kill you. Roll on an awsome mini-game where you try to survive these abuses, and then escape.

Just imagine if all this takes place in normal gameplay - how f*cking sweet and replayable the game will be?

Nikkola bellic,Belgrade,Serbia
  • Nikkola bellic,Belgrade,Serbia

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

That is EXACTLY what I always wanted in gta4 and SA!!!
But only you can not befriend 2 rival gangs.like for example serbians and albainans or rival mexicans 13 and 18.Great idea!

Dragonex100
  • Dragonex100

I run this town! Me!

• Members

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

Yeah I would like that, it would raise the replay value to the roof. I'm gonna make a big topic about a Grand Theft Auto that I want to see, can I use some of your Ideas?

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Dragonex100 @ Feb 25 2009, 21:18)
Yeah I would like that, it would raise the replay value to the roof. I'm gonna make a big topic about a Grand Theft Auto that I want to see, can I use some of your Ideas?

Sure thing, you can obviously. I'm more than glad to see you do it.

BlOoDStReAm101
  • BlOoDStReAm101

I am the night

• Members

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

This idea is very good Flesh, but if it were to be implemented in the next GTA game, I am sure Rockstar would add where the rival gangs would attack your own turf (similar to SA) at any time of the game. Which I found annoying. Anyway, this idea is excellent and would be a joy to have in the future GTA games. icon14.gif

EDIT: I'd also like if your gang leader or gang members could give you exclusive vehicles when achieving a certain percent.

GT409
  • GT409

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

I really like this idea, I actually had a similar idea, I never posted it, my idea didn't have the hit squad or lower than zero % status.

Also, maybe there could be small relationship drops or increases with neutral status, depending on your colours and clothing. For example, wear green in Los Santos next to some Ballas, and they'll get mad and attack with melee weapons only, then you could head to Grove St. and you'll get reactions like "Hey homie, how's it going."

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE (BlOoDStReAm101 @ Feb 25 2009, 17:05)
This idea is very good Flesh, but if it were to be implemented in the next GTA game, I am sure Rockstar would add where the rival gangs would attack your own turf (similar to SA) at any time of the game. Which I found annoying. Anyway, this idea is excellent and would be a joy to have in the future GTA games. icon14.gif

EDIT: I'd also like if your gang leader or gang members could give you exclusive vehicles when achieving a certain percent.

They'd attack your turf, but do you yourself necessarily have to defend it? Maybe you could recruit your homies (or maybe members of allied gangs) to defend your turf when you're not around, and it's optional when an attack occurs whether or not you take care of it yourself? I really didn't mind the gang wars at all in SA. If I really didn't want to deal with it I'd just ignore it or save (which aborted an attack in SA).

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:31 AM

yeah i've wanted the return of gta 2's respect-o-meter for a long time. this is what the next gta seriously needs. Also, to add to the ideas already posted, I think gangs - not police - should be the main enemy in a city that's so corrupt that it doesn't have a regular police force. there would still be a police force but it would be heavily corrupted and act more like a criminal enterprise. the whole wanted system could be different. it would still have the star system but this time it would also have to indicate which gang is after you.

also, I think you should be able to disguise yourself in enemy territory. in past games if you're in enemy territory the enemy gang members immediately recognize that it's you. I think if on foot if you're wearing their colors it takes a little bit longer for them to recognize your threat. same with if you're driving one of their gang cars through their territory. in GTA III as soon as you enter Saint Mark's you're dead - even if you're driving a Mafia Sentinel. however, in the plot of the game, you drive in a columbian cartel crusier to disguise yourself as a colombian when killing the yakuza kenji kasen in 'Waka-Gashira Whipeout'...

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (zeppelincheetah @ Feb 25 2009, 22:31)
I think gangs - not police - should be the main enemy in a city that's so corrupt that it doesn't have a regular police force. there would still be a police force but it would be heavily corrupted and act more like a criminal enterprise.

You mean like Tenpenny and Pulaski in SA? sly.gif

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Feb 25 2009, 23:51)
QUOTE (zeppelincheetah @ Feb 25 2009, 22:31)
I think gangs - not police - should be the main enemy in a city that's so corrupt that it doesn't have a regular police force.  there would still be a police force but it would be heavily corrupted and act more like a criminal enterprise.

You mean like Tenpenny and Pulaski in SA? sly.gif

yes! just like them!

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

Another thing I'd like to add, when you get 55% with a gang then you unlock their clothes and can wear it.

Sergi
  • Sergi

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:09 PM Edited by Sergi, 26 February 2009 - 10:14 PM.

I hate to sound like a hater and I haven't been on the forum in months but a large majority of your idea was used way before this thread in the original BYOG thread with my GTA idea. I can easily say that I was the 1st to use that whole Respect/Reputation thing with gangs and people in the game as well as the whole consequence for your actions like hit squads as well. We may just be thinking alike but I'm just saying I was the 1st to even have mention of things similar to your thread as fleshed out as the ideas are like 4 or 5 months ago if not longer.

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Sergi @ Feb 26 2009, 16:09)
I hate to sound like a hater and I haven't been on the forum in months but a large majority of your idea was used way before this thread in the original BYOG thread with my GTA idea. I can easily say that I was the 1st to use that whole Respect/Reputation thing with gangs and people in the game as well as the whole consequence for your actions like hit squads as well. We may just be thinking alike but I'm just saying I was the 1st to even have mention of things similar to your thread as fleshed out as the ideas are like 4 or 5 months ago if not longer.

you're not the first with the idea. Many gta fans including myself have come up with ideas for new gang systems, going back to GTA III. All ideas are based on GTA 2's respect-o-meter.

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (Sergi @ Feb 26 2009, 23:09)

I must say, I have never read any of the BYOG ideas so I wasn't copying your idea, it just happened that we have thought alike.

Sergi
  • Sergi

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Feb 26 2009, 23:08)

I must say, I have never read any of the BYOG ideas so I wasn't copying your idea, it just happened that we have thought alike.

As I said no hard feelings or anything. But it just shows that alot of GTA fans want great advancements like these for the next GTA and hopefully R* are listening.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Sergi @ Feb 26 2009, 18:10)
QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Feb 26 2009, 23:08)

As I said no hard feelings or anything. But it just shows that alot of GTA fans want great advancements like these for the next GTA and hopefully R* are listening.

I had the exact same idea in BYOG topic too. And I personally believe I am the father of such idea, and my intellectual creative sperm is what fertilised the rotten "more, more and some more gangs" eggs that where all you lot's wish lists for future GTA's, transforming them into the fully grown adult similar, yet slightly different and thus less perfect, opinion of a long-term relationship with gangs and police you're voicing now.
Flesh-n-Bone even mentioned death squads. I am such a proud father now. smile.gif cryani.gif

Big_D
  • Big_D

Easy-E

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:23 AM

WOW......your new respect system is the smartest thing ive heard anybody say about anything......ever. wow.gif

Flesh-n-Bone
  • Flesh-n-Bone

OG

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (Big_D @ Feb 28 2009, 04:23)
WOW......your new respect system is the smartest thing ive heard anybody say about anything......ever. wow.gif

Thanks for that, and your sig is an intelligent say, as well!

Dragonex100
  • Dragonex100

I run this town! Me!

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Flesh-n-Bone @ Feb 28 2009, 10:36)
QUOTE (Big_D @ Feb 28 2009, 04:23)

Thanks for that, and your sig is an intelligent say, as well!

Agreed.

BigAmericanTitties
  • BigAmericanTitties

Player lover

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:40 AM

id love to see this implemented in a next-gen GTA. it would add extra realism as well (not that im complaining about levels of realism)

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

That system would be great.
You should also be able to get loans and if you don't pay them in time hitmen come after you, just like in Saints Row!

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (JoshGTAfreak @ Mar 1 2009, 01:28)
That system would be great.
You should also be able to get loans and if you don't pay them in time hitmen come after you, just like in Saints Row!

That was in SA first, but you could only do it at the casinos with the Mafia or Triads.

Nikkola bellic,Belgrade,Serbia
  • Nikkola bellic,Belgrade,Serbia

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Yeah man I have similar thoughts about gang sistem to bad they did not made it in gta4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users