Photo

Car Handling is beyond sluggish

28 replies to this topic
ccff22290
  • ccff22290

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

I have a computer that more than exceeds the recommended system requirements, and yet, when I'm driving, it feels like I'm carrying an elephant on my back. I have San Andreas, and I LOVE the way the cars in that game handle. You don't FEEL their weight, which allows me to just focus on having fun. But with GTA4, I can't seem to focus on anything but getting the damnable cars to respond to turns and such. I mean, I'm actually exhausted after two missions, and that's just ridiculous.

Also, on foot, Niko does not respond as instantly as CJ did in San Andreas.

I've checked my settings and all is fine, so I went into the system folders of the two games to compare the stats, and found that indeed, GTA4's cars are set to a higher density.

I need to know if there's a way to make it so GTA handles like Andrea' cars, or if there is a patch that addresses this issue (if it is an official issue, that is).

Anyone having the same problem, and if so, what can we do about this?????

Please help.....a GTA fan

rxe
  • rxe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

It's supposed to be more realistic.

Wethospu
  • Wethospu

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

What you can do is learn to drive properly. smile.gif

LordRhyme
  • LordRhyme

PC | Gamer

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

they made it like that so it can be more realistic....

Razor-Flash
  • Razor-Flash

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

Personally I love both of the improved aspect you have mentioned.

At first I didn't like it but now it just feels natural, and alot more enjoyable as well IMO.

Just learn to go into the corner from a wider and angle and do it more slowly. If you play long enough I have no doubt that anyone can get used to how it works.

Hydro_PT
  • Hydro_PT

THE S.T.A.L.KE.R.

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:24 AM

Just get used to it. It's true that if you're used to play past GTA games (III, VC and SA) you'll notice that in GTA IV the way Niko moves and the car's handling is very different but believe me, once you are used to it, you'll love it. smile.gif

It's more realistic, and it's way better in my opinion. You just need some time. If I return to SA now I think I won't have that much fun with the handling or the way CJ moves.

SentinelXS
  • SentinelXS

Wheelman

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:22 AM

i agree w/ Hydro...i recently played SA again after not having played it in a LONG time and after playing and adjusting to IV.

i remember driving in IV for the 1st time and have watched my friends drive for their 1st time in IV and its funny...a little akward...but now that im used to it i enjoy it and can really control the character and the cars very well.

give it some time...i will say that the added realism w/ certain cars makes things more fun where you can really get them drifting thru the turns...like the Dukes

-XS

dkznr3
  • dkznr3

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (ccff22290 @ Feb 22 2009, 07:28)

Niko's "speed" is probably my biggest complaint about this game.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (dkznr3 @ Feb 23 2009, 10:31)

That can be classified under 'realism' too. Normally, you don't start running at your max speed right from the word go; you increase your speed gradually after take off.

As for car handling, even I was like 'wtf' when I first played the game; the same reaction I had when playing Test Drive Unlimited. But the more I played it, the more I got accustomed to it. Now, I'm pretty comfortable with it. Also, the handling of cars in SA is more arcade style. If you're too much into arcade style racing, then you'd probably take longer to get used to IV.

JCMillerTime
  • JCMillerTime

san andreas vigilante mission record holder

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:04 AM

yeah, there's nothing wrong with your computer, that's just how it is. Has anyone ever done a speed test on cars in gta4? You'd have to estimate a distance of say a quarter mile and do drag races and time it. I bet the cars accelerate a lot slower than in real life. That's the only thing I don't like about the game.

elBATCHo
  • elBATCHo

ROIDEDOUT450S

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

Either way the handling in GTA4 is sh*t. Cars in real lfie aren;t that massively slow and don't flip over at the slightest turn. The SUVs in GTA4 act liek they have 2 cylinder engines also. Thats why I modded mostly all the cars in GTA4 to be similar to what cars in GRID racing drive like. near perfect handling.

Hydro_PT
  • Hydro_PT

THE S.T.A.L.KE.R.

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (elBATCHo @ Feb 23 2009, 08:56)
Either way the handling in GTA4 is sh*t. Cars in real lfie aren;t that massively slow and don't flip over at the slightest turn. The SUVs in GTA4 act liek they have 2 cylinder engines also. Thats why I modded mostly all the cars in GTA4 to be similar to what cars in GRID racing drive like. near perfect handling.

Race Driver GRID with near perfect handling? Lol I can't agree with you... the cars on GRID seem to be too light, looks like they kinda float on the corners... when I started playing it I used to do 180s on each corner, because the car would lost its traction due to the weight. It's true that after some time you get used to it, but I still think that although GRID is a great game, the handling is not that good. And it's a mix of arcade and simulation, but it's more arcade than simulation.

For me ToCA Race Driver 3 is one of the games that mixes best arcade and sim handling. The cars feel great on the track, very realistic.

Of course that cars in GTA IV don't act like in real life... but the handling is much better than in previous GTAs. Specially the suspension, I love it, it's so cool. colgate.gif

And the same with Niko... try for yourself and see if you can do what CJ does, turn around so quickly while going at full speed. It's ridiculous in my opinion... Niko behaves much better than any other character from previous GTA games, the Euphoria engine couldn't be better.

Razor-Flash
  • Razor-Flash

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (dkznr3 @ Feb 23 2009, 05:01)

Why?

I've only even seen an Olympic standard sprinter sprint faster than Niko does in GTA IV, so for me his speed is pretty accurate as well.

Jackal1337
  • Jackal1337

Gayest Boy in Town

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

IVs car handling are so cool, euphoria makes it so cool
and its fun too...

TheBruceter
  • TheBruceter

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

How can people complain about the handling. Its bloody amazing. Worst thing i hate it when you hit a lamp post and the bottom block flips you're car confused.gif

If its PC, get a pad... I tried VC on the PC and couldn't play it worth a f*ck lol Never mind it nowadays.

lilmcnessy
  • lilmcnessy

FenderCore

• Members

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:09 AM Edited by lilmcnessy, 24 February 2009 - 10:19 AM.

when first played IV i hated most and had trouble walking and i stil do cus he nvr wants to walk the way want to. but overtime i gt used to it and find it much easier to turn tight corners. when i playd sa tho one day Had trouble with the cntrls and when i turnd corners i could feel the weight of the car and it felt heavy and so i just wnt bak 2 iv but a huge problem i have is sPeed of my pc haha my writing so retarded cus i done it on psp

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

"Spooked ya!"

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

Forget San Andreas. This is the new sh*t! tounge.gif

Nah, really. With all new GTA's the driving was a bit wonky at the start. If you play S.A. for ages and then go back to V.C. it evens gets difficult.

I was all over the place at the start of IV. It probably took me longer than any other GTA to master the controls. Now, the I think the driving is superior and always compare other driving games to IV. And, by the time the next GTA comes out, we will be all pros!

Ecc3ntrik
  • Ecc3ntrik

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

Yeah I prefer it more realistic, much better than the auto-sprinting as fast as you can and being able to turn a corner at 200mph. It's alot better how it is now imo, you just need time to get used to it.

lilmcnessy
  • lilmcnessy

FenderCore

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Ecc3ntrik @ Feb 27 2009, 20:54)
Yeah I prefer it more realistic, much better than the auto-sprinting as fast as you can and being able to turn a corner at 200mph. It's alot better how it is now imo, you just need time to get used to it.

I dont see how you can turn a courner at 200 mph or even reach that speed in san andreas
Its turning sucked so bad. I always handbraked round corners but in a result i would be going at such a slow speed

smeagol
  • smeagol

Razmataz

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

at least driving now requires some skill, and you will get use to it.

derekthetree
  • derekthetree

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Hydro_PT @ Feb 23 2009, 10:13)
QUOTE (elBATCHo @ Feb 23 2009, 08:56)

Race Driver GRID with near perfect handling? Lol I can't agree with you... the cars on GRID seem to be too light, looks like they kinda float on the corners... when I started playing it I used to do 180s on each corner, because the car would lost its traction due to the weight. It's true that after some time you get used to it, but I still think that although GRID is a great game, the handling is not that good. And it's a mix of arcade and simulation, but it's more arcade than simulation.

For me ToCA Race Driver 3 is one of the games that mixes best arcade and sim handling. The cars feel great on the track, very realistic.

Of course that cars in GTA IV don't act like in real life... but the handling is much better than in previous GTAs. Specially the suspension, I love it, it's so cool. colgate.gif

And the same with Niko... try for yourself and see if you can do what CJ does, turn around so quickly while going at full speed. It's ridiculous in my opinion... Niko behaves much better than any other character from previous GTA games, the Euphoria engine couldn't be better.

I would disagree with both of you and say that GRID and RD3 are not very realistic.

What you really want is a proper sim like GTR1/2/EVO or live for speed. Something where it punishes you for small mistakes!

I really enjoy the handling in GTA4 thouhg. The way some of the more powerful cars can lose traction and get the back end out. The only really unrealistic bit seems to be where you can steer in mid air.... or at least it feels like it.

TheHitm4N
  • TheHitm4N

Stone cold

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:07 AM Edited by TheHitm4N, 28 February 2009 - 02:10 AM.

Just adds a bit of realism with the natural understeer and the brakes locking up (cars in GTA4 dont seem to have ABS) etc.. just use handbrake for corners at high speeds cuz its much easier and less time-consuming than slowing down for a corner in order to avoid ploughing into a old woman eating a donut.

TonyClifton
  • TonyClifton

PR Spokesman for Tony Prince

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (ccff22290 @ Feb 22 2009, 14:28)
I have a computer that more than exceeds the recommended system requirements, and yet, when I'm driving, it feels like I'm carrying an elephant on my back.

Yeah, it took me about 2 months to jettison the elephant from my back, and then it was speed away! (Until you hit a tree or something). Keep going! cool.gif

Athedian
  • Athedian

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

You can start drifting from around a meter before the curb. Once you master the handbrake timing, your car will be much easier to handle.

dkznr3
  • dkznr3

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (Razor-Flash @ Feb 23 2009, 03:29)

Why?

I've only even seen an Olympic standard sprinter sprint faster than Niko does in GTA IV, so for me his speed is pretty accurate as well.

I don't just mean how fast he runs. The way he does everything is so slow.

lilmcnessy
  • lilmcnessy

FenderCore

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (dkznr3 @ Mar 1 2009, 12:24)
QUOTE (Razor-Flash @ Feb 23 2009, 03:29)

Why?

I don't just mean how fast he runs. The way he does everything is so slow.

its annoying sometimes you tell him to go the direction your cameras pointing but hes facing the other way and he runs that way but then he starts to spin in circles, its over realistic because its easier to walk or run around corners in real life than it is in gta IV

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

I prefer IV's driving over the old driving from past GTAs 100 times over. Now it's simply not a case of driving into a corner at 100mph without using a brake. You actually have to use a bit of co-ordination.

It's no Forza or Gran Turismo, but it's a bucket load of fun. I love how easy it is to drift in IV.

Compnsatyr
  • Compnsatyr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:12 AM Edited by Compnsatyr, 03 April 2009 - 11:41 AM.

I hated its sluggishness at first, but after I beat the game twice I mastered it. I love the new handling but do not like the slushbox transmissions in some cars. Not every car responds the same to these controls the same:

when approaching a corner at moderate speed, you could try the gas + parking brake combo with some conservative steering...some cars will downshift right into a useful part of the powerband and will take off quick.

Another approach is to come up to a corner at modere speed and tap the gas + brake + E-brake combo while steering; keep the gas held down the whole time then release the rest. This tends to force a downshift and seems to work good with the Vigero and some other cars. If you've power oversteered to much, try tapping the brake while the gas is held down; sometimes that helps you reign things in before they get out of control. If your car is understeering you can tap/hold the E-brake to get the tail end out more, just keep the gas held down.

both of these approaches tend to rev up the motor, but if it's timed wrong (you've got to get a feel for the powerband of your car) you either get sluggishness with no downshift or an over-revved motor that seems slow too, like it's stuck in gear.

EDIT: Also, if you didn't know gas + E-brake lets you rev up the engine, so when you release the handbrake some cars will peel out; it's faster and more impressive than slouching off the line. Some cars like with traction problems (Dukes, Vigero) seem so have an optimum launch if you rev it up about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way. And (duh!)... gas + brake is a burnout.

The transmission is far from perfect, but with a combination of the above techniques, you should get far more joy from driving. I would really prefer a manual transmission but they don't have that many buttons on the control pad!

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Mar 1 2009, 01:11)
I prefer IV's driving over the old driving from past GTAs 100 times over. Now it's simply not a case of driving into a corner at 100mph without using a brake. You actually have to use a bit of co-ordination.

It's no Forza or Gran Turismo, but it's a bucket load of fun. I love how easy it is to drift in IV.

Exactly! And also, its not even trying to be super realistic. Its supposed to be fun and it definitely is. I agree and i love the way the cars handle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users