Photo

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

39 replies to this topic
PhilipO43
  • PhilipO43

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

As much as i love the GTA series(far more then any other) and how much i appreciate rockstar for delivering this series, after they threw in everything and the kitchen sink into GTA:SA, i still feel they are holding back alot of potential features for the upcoming X360 DLC#2 and possible more DLC's(probably universal for all platforms) or for a sequel to IV.(before V is released on the next generation of consoles and pc).

This(and i'm thinking DLC#2) also reminds me of the jump from GTAIII to GTA:VC, in terms of adding in a bunch of stuff..a new story(2 stories in these DLC's)..ect, but not nearly what they added in from GTA:VC-->GTA:SA.

Rockstar is way too clever to not realize what features can still be implemented, and i think we may have to wait for one major DLC(probably universal) or a sequel(GTA:IV, VC?), to see all the features Rockstar can really put into one game.

While i love the direction IV took because the core(physics/a.i/cover/aiming..ect) of the GTA series needed a complete overhaul, and only with the newer consoles was it then possible, this is the same design team that put together the mammoth GTA:SA, which while it was over the top, they put in things far what anyone was expecting.

And that's fine, i still love IV like no other game this generation, but i'm really hoping, be it a major DLC or a IV major sequel/add-on, the full potential of LC is revealed.

This is Rockstar afterall, and they set the standards so high, they fully know they need to match the hype..and more.

And they will everntually..lol, as each DLC is a tease for a bit more of this and that. (just like TLAD was for gang fights, better music..especially rock/metal wise, more weapons, more activities, better online modes..ect).

Who knows, maybe when they developed GTA:III back in 01', they were thinking about a GTA:SA even at that same time? (so tease everyone with VC in 02' then finally work on SA, before the first next gen. console is released)

Why not milk the series for all it's worth, and then right before the current generation is over with, release your 'epic' title of the series?

Afterall, this was the pattern last generation, correct?

PhilipO43
  • PhilipO43

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (Guru Josh @ Feb 17 2009, 18:12)
Thought I would throw this question in: I have a PS3 but am thinking of getting a 360 for TLAD. My question is do you think it is worth buying a console for this. I am not flush with money but I can get one on a "buy now pay in 6 month" arrangement and I suppose I could sell it if I dont like it.

I bought a PS2 for San Andreas and a PS3 for GTAIV(stupid planning there blush.gif ) and love both.

Just interested in your views..

What were you thinking buying a PS3, if your a major GTA fan?

Especially when MS announced these 2 exclusive DLC's back in E3 of 06?

Seriously, unless anyone is a fanatic for MGS, i just don't get why so many buy into the PS3.

And i have BOTH consoles, but the fact is be it Fallout3, GTA:IV, the COD4 series, the Ghost Recon series, or every cross platform game except for Oblivion(the only game where the PS3 version was done better), is done better on the X360.

Sure there a few nice exclusives like R:FOM1 & 2, Uncharted and Killzone2, there's no doubt there, but there are so many more exclusives on the X360, and while i cannot stand Live's Wii like Avatars, PSN's beta for Home comes noware near it feature wise.(so far).

I played through both versions of IV many times, and it was so clear(cristal) that the 360 version was the overall better one.

From being rendered in a higher res.(720p compared to 640p on the PS3), to FSAA(none on the PS3), to a crisper overall look(the PS3 version is blurry)..ect, to a better framerate, the 360 version is the better one, hands down.

The only fault of the 360 version was it's nasty shadow dithering and that was it, as pop-in was bad on both consoles.

Now is TLAD worth a 360, that's for you to decide, but also look at every other game and exclsuive on the 360, and i can assure you it will be a no brainer, and once you get one, it will be your #1 gaming console.

I love my PS3..but only for it's exclusives, and that's it.

(no knock on the PS3, i'm just telling it like i feel, because i have both consoles).

Also, why not have both consoles, so you can have all exclusives as well as the best of the cross-platform games.

And YES, go grab a 360..heck if you don't like TLAD or any other 360 exclusive, just trade it back.

Good Luck.

ArcaneKnight
  • ArcaneKnight

Unf*ckwitable

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

Well im sure they could have compiled everything into liberty city. But they have to have a product they can keep selling. If they give you everything they had in SA in IV, what would be left for them to add to where people would want to go out and buy it? Oh well IV already has all that, no need to spend another $60+ on something you already have.

They plan everything out well, so it keeps people just satisfied enough to want to come back for more. Saints Row is there for people who want quanity over quality. Rockstar will not let you down, but its the reason why theyre the powerhouse they are, they plan things out good, and make sure to leave people coming back for more. So with each release there will be more and more to offer. And I love the fact that these little DLC's are here to hold us over until the next release of a GTA title.

Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

I'm loving it so far. I can't say whether or not it was worth 1600 MS Points right now, especially since I don't know how long the storyline is, but the things you can do once you finish the storyline, including multiplayer might be the boost it needs to reach the "Worth What You Paid For" line.

I love the handling on the new bikes, especially Johnny's Hexer; it was drastically improved. I'm glad to see he walks, runs, and jumps differently than Niko - I was wondering if R* was just going to be lazy, but I'm glad they weren't.

The new features such as arm wresting, card games, gang wars, etc. are brilliant, very clever. That's all I really have to say right now since I'm not yet finished with it, but so far, it's very impressive. Better than I thought it would be.

cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif / 5

Shadow Kipper
  • Shadow Kipper

[★] The Crook Department™

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (ArcaneKnight @ Feb 17 2009, 16:53)
So would you say the LAD is overrated then? Or does it live up to the hype for you?

I think some people get so hyped up that they forget that its still only DLC and not a new game that comes on a disc.

sure Rockstar basically promised it would be awesome, and from all the great feedback it sure sounds like it is but still, its only a download so the developers can only do so much before the line between DLC and full game is crossed.

biggrin.gif

Still, if TLAD is this awesome, I can only hope that not only the next installment of DLC is kickass, but GTA V is also going to be insane.

Here's hoping.

Guru Josh
  • Guru Josh

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (PhilipO43 @ Feb 17 2009, 18:41)
Thought I would throw this question in: I have a PS3 but am thinking of getting a 360 for TLAD. My question is do you think it is worth buying a console for this. I am not flush with money but I can get one on a "buy now pay in 6 month" arrangement and I suppose I could sell it if I dont like it.

I bought a PS2 for San Andreas and a PS3 for GTAIV(stupid planning there blush.gif ) and love both.

Seriously, unless anyone is a fanatic for MGS, i just don't get why so many buy into the PS3.

And i have BOTH consoles, but the fact is be it Fallout3, GTA:IV, the COD4 series, the Ghost Recon series, or every cross platform game except for Oblivion(the only game where the PS3 version was done better), is done better on the X360.

Sure there a few nice exclusives like R:FOM1 & 2, Uncharted and Killzone2, there's no doubt there, but there are so many more exclusives on the X360, and while i cannot stand Live's Wii like Avatars, PSN's beta for Home comes noware near it feature wise.(so far).

I played through both versions of IV many times, and it was so clear(cristal) that the 360 version was the overall better one.

From being rendered in a higher res.(720p compared to 640p on the PS3), to FSAA(none on the PS3), to a crisper overall look(the PS3 version is blurry)..ect, to a better framerate, the 360 version is the better one, hands down.

The only fault of the 360 version was it's nasty shadow dithering and that was it, as pop-in was bad on both consoles.

Now is TLAD worth a 360, that's for you to decide, but also look at every other game and exclsuive on the 360, and i can assure you it will be a no brainer, and once you get one, it will be your #1 gaming console.

(no knock on the PS3, i'm just telling it like i feel, because i have both consoles).

Also, why not have both consoles, so you can have all exclusives as well as the best of the cross-platform games.

And YES, go grab a 360..heck if you don't like TLAD or any other 360 exclusive, just trade it back.

Good Luck.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I nevr claimed to be a "major" GTA fan, but I take your point. I also said that I f*cked up with my choice of PS3 for that game sad.gif I like GTA but am not a major gaming fan in general.

I like your point about just keeping the PS3 and getting a 360 and trading it in if I dont like it. I will probably get one if I hear good enough views about this DLC..

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (PhilipO43 @ Feb 18 2009, 05:41)

Good Luck.

Good post. I own a PS3, and 360 aswell. I originally bought GTA IV on PS3, because at that time I didn't have a console of my own, and my brother owned a PS3, so that's what I bought it for. If I had enough money I probably would've bought a 360, and GTA IV for it.

I've been thinking about buying GTA IV for 360 now that I own one, but I'm not really sure. I mean I've already owned the PS3 version since it launced, and I would only buy it for TLAD anyway, but I also bought a 360, because there's a few games I've wanted to play, but aren't on PS3.

Anyway I really like both. I think it's better to own both, because if there's a cross platform game you want you have a greater chance at getting it on either console. That's really another reason I also bought a 360 aswell as a PS3. So my chances of getting games that I want are higher. icon14.gif

Irviding
  • Irviding

he's going to get into the ring and put boots to asses

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

I played the whole thing now- and the side missions for Congressman Stubbs and Angus.

I must say I loved it- the thing I loved most was the missions that connected to Niko's story. Those missions that had no connection to Niko's story disinterested me. The biker thing was cool- the way R* left us without a stable safehouse with a TV and computer and the end upset me- so after the game ended now you can't watch television- another reason why I am not playing TLAD again and just going to stick with IV.

I enjoyed playing it, but I don't think it was worth the hype. It was a great game, but it didn't live up to what they made it out to be. They said there will be all these amazing new interiors and all these cool things- but there wasn't honestly, it seemed there were more closed interiors than opened.

The real amount of fun I had with this was seeing Niko in the museum, kidnapping Roman, seeing Niko at the apartment for the drug deal- I loved how R* made you able to hear Niko fighting, and during the museum mission we could actually SEE him.

The bug in Bryce Dawkin's car was cool too, you can hear Bernie talking to Niko, Bryce driving around himself- etc.

I just thought that the actual story of Johnny was undeveloped and the characters were really not up to par IMO. The biker thing got a little tiring too, like failing a mission for getting your bike shot up was just retarded.

In all, I give it an 8.5- definitely worth purchasing, you learn a lot of unsolved questions from Niko's story- and it lets you brainstorm a lot for Luis Lopez's story- but the story itself just made me lose interest a few times.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

I think its a great package well worth the money, as other have said they've done a great job of creating something that feels like its own game, not some tacked on extra. I was worried about the content being bike related as I found the bikes quite average to drive in Vanilla IV but with the upgraded bike handling you almost never want to leave your bike. It doesn't feel awkward.

PhilipO43
  • PhilipO43

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (Guru Josh @ Feb 17 2009, 22:21)
QUOTE (PhilipO43 @ Feb 17 2009, 18:41)

Good Luck.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I nevr claimed to be a "major" GTA fan, but I take your point. I also said that I f*cked up with my choice of PS3 for that game sad.gif I like GTA but am not a major gaming fan in general.

I like your point about just keeping the PS3 and getting a 360 and trading it in if I dont like it. I will probably get one if I hear good enough views about this DLC..

Sorry if i got it wrong about you being a GTA fanatic and you did say you messed up as far as GTA is concerned.

Having said that, i have nothing against the PS3(heck i paid $600 for mine at launch and upgraded it to a 80Gig and soon may do for a 160GigHDD), as for me it's an ideal HT media, in terms of video/mp3's and even surfing on a big screen HDTV, and of course as a BR player.

At it's $499(80Gig) pricetag compared to say a X360 Pro, is a better bang for the buck, if you need a BR player.

However, you really do need to see what the 360 offers, because i think you will be surprised how many great games are on this console and how sweet Xbox Live works.(Also Live has Netflix delivering some 12,000+ movies to stream, and Netflix is exclsuive to the 360 only)

Also, try out some older games like say Dead Rising(which is upcoming for the Wii, btw) and other games, that still are some of the best on the console.

Try out it's exclusives(you know the major one's, Halo3/Mass Effect/Fable2/Left4Dead(<superb online play)..ect, and try out cross platform games which you may be a big fan of..say COD4? or Madden 09? or Fallout3?

And compare everything, from the games to the controllers, to online.

For $199, one thing you can do unlike the PS3 is get a console for under $200(the cost of 3 games) that is upgradable, when you have the money to do so.

Don't forget the DLC#2 of GTA:IV is around the corner(Oct) for the 360 as well.

And if you pick one up, try to find _any way possible_ to keep both consoles, because once you understand the benefits of having multiple consoles, you never will go back to being a one platform owner.

Good Luck!.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users