Cheers, Its unavailable at the moment. I think the forums are down

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (uni @ Oct 13 2010, 20:03)
QUOTE (james227uk @ Oct 13 2010, 18:41)
Just getting started on this game now. Looks pretty good. Has anyone got any tips for newbies aside reading the forums?

Start by building a shelter near your spawn-point, with a crafting table and chest inside. Then you either update that shelter or take your time to create a new one. Then dig around your house and you'll eventually find a game made cave, then the fun begins. cool.gif

Cheers Uni

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

I would like to see a gtaforum server, kind of like how we set one up back in the days of blockland.

Ptikobj
  • Ptikobj

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (agent17 @ Oct 13 2010, 21:09)
I would like to see a gtaforum server, kind of like how we set one up back in the days of blockland.

This would be very interesting. You could always join me and my mates on vent and join my local server. Lag is never really that much of an issue. Minic from the forums is on it.

Also, this is our first server. Its pretty big. Notice the giant sheep and rapture in the massive lake.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

The real beauty of this game is when everything goes horribly horribly wrong. That Sauron's Eye tower I posted on the last page? Yeah, the lava flowed off it, down a valley and straight through my wooden fence and annihilating my crops and most of my house. All I could do was laugh as my attempts to block it off with water failed miserably as the hot rock just flowed over the obsidian/cobblestone that formed.

Then later, after getting over the previous hilarious fiasco I had built a deep shaft (about 50 deep) and started branching off horizontally eventually. All was going well, I'd found a load of iron, coal and even some gold! That was, until I decided to start heading topside again. It started as a little water leak; "Oops, better not head up that way" seemed like an easy solution. Wrong. My next rock destruction resulted in me unleashing the force of the whole mother f*cking ocean on me; ruining my tunnel and drowning me as I desperately tried to get to the ocean surface only to be stopped just short of sweet oxygenated salvation by a layer of ice.

This f*cking game.

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

I love this game. I've been playing it for about a month and a half, maybe two.
Here's a tour of sorts of my World 2. (the one where I do stuff)

@Robinski: I've been in sort of similar situation. I went very deep in a cave (ha, ha) and got inevitably lost. Decided to dig straight up to get out. I actually did get out, but I was absolutely lost. I got actually rather close to my home, but I didn't really know it. Fell down and died. Lost my diamond pickaxe and shovel. I felt kinda stupid after that, being so close to home. tounge.gif

Blizzard14
  • Blizzard14

Get out of here STALKER!

• Members

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

I f*cking hate it when I die. I wish you can just pick up your dropped stuff when you die, have it places in the same spot you die. Just yesterday, I was in a cave doing some mining, when I accidentally fell into what seemed like an ocean of lava when I was digging right under me, and I couldn't get out, and with no bucket of water. Jesus f*ck was I pissed. I lost 3 new Iron Pickaxes, a wooden shovel, a butt-load of those redstone things, Lots and lots of Gold and Iron, those coal things, tons of sticks and torches, and ironically, 3 breads and 3 cooked pig meats.
I rage quit after that, but I should really learn to not dig straight below me.

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

Are torches necessary to stop monsters spawning in your house? Because in the worlds it makes I can't find any coal for the life of me

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Are you mining below the surface? I usually find them easy.

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, I've built my "house" below the surface, and when I was tunneling away the rock I didn't see any coal. Is there a specific tool I need to get the coal out of the rock?

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (james227uk @ Oct 14 2010, 16:44)
Yeah, I've built my "house" below the surface, and when I was tunneling away the rock I didn't see any coal. Is there a specific tool I need to get the coal out of the rock?

All you need to extract coal is a pickaxe of any type. As for finding coal at the start of a new world, look for sheer stone cliffs, there's often a little patch of coal somewhere about halfway up (it's grey withe black flecks in it). Just grab yourself a big pile of dirt or sand and do the jump > place block underneath > jump etc. trick to get up to it. Then you can go find a cave, get some more coal and get on with the game.

I can't recommend that Cartograph program enough by the way. If you get lost when coming out of a cave just build something distinctive and generate a map. Voila! A map to get you back to your castle.

Tyler
  • Tyler

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

For some reason my sh*te Linux doesn't let me download the correct version of Java, so I cannot play this game, and that pisses me off. I want to get the survival mode! I've been watching videos of it on youtube, and even that's addicting. I cannot imagine playing it less than nine hours straight.

Ptikobj
  • Ptikobj

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

That program is awesome.
Look at all the dungeons there are

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

Nice castle you got there. icon14.gif

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

Great. I wonder about 20 minutes from my base to get some coal. Now when I returned to my base, I started tunnelling it out more, and there's coal already in the walls.

@Robinski

Thanks for the recommendation of that Cartograph program. Just need to build something that shows where my base is now.

Ptikobj
  • Ptikobj

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (uni @ Oct 14 2010, 17:24)
Nice castle you got there. icon14.gif

Cheers, Its very much work in progress.

Blizzard14
  • Blizzard14

Get out of here STALKER!

• Members

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:06 AM

user posted image

Heh, that little house may not seem like much, but my real house is actually INSIDE the mountain, and I have a beautiful view of the ocean. It looks f*cking wicked. Pretty good spot too. On top a mountain, next to water, plenty of trees around, and a good mining spot just at the base of the mountain. Gonna have to take some screens or a vid to show you guys.

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:32 PM Edited by james227uk, 16 October 2010 - 05:38 PM.

Day off work, and I've been playing this all day; this game is too damn addicting. (I need to go outside for a bit biggrin.gif ).

I've found this massive cave. I mean massive. I was walking around for about 20 minutes trying to find my way out, whilst spending 30 minutes tracking it around. Finally got myself some Redstone and Diamond.

Buckets of water are so useful when digging FAR under ground. I stepped into invisible lava which set me on fire, and that bucket of water saved my life and equipment smile.gif

Still no look finding a monster spawner/dungeon though sad.gif

EDIT:

Here's some crappy garden I was working on. (With a non-intentional farm)

user posted image

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

You guys do know about the planned Halloween update to Survival Alpha right? Sounds pretty cool:
user posted image

EDIT: Woops, just realised that was actually what bumped the thread. It was just on the Tumblr link rather than the MC site. Sorry about that.

Ptikobj
  • Ptikobj

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:03 PM Edited by Ptikobj, 16 October 2010 - 11:05 PM.

Me and my mates have decided to make an interstate video

Here is the map progress after about an hour: http://imgur.com/JqTN0.jpg

also

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:30 AM

Did anyone build a mob trap yet? Thinking about getting one for myself.

freak2121
  • freak2121

I'm bored.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Ptikobj @ Oct 16 2010, 15:03)
Me and my mates have decided to make an interstate video

Here is the map progress after about an hour: http://imgur.com/JqTN0.jpg

also

I'm making one myself.
It's about 15km long right now.
Going for 40.

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

So finally I had some time to work on my castle, last update:

user posted image

Latest:

user posted image

james227uk
  • james227uk

One Spartan Army

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Well, this is the only game that's been able to scare the crap out of me in a long time. I found a massive cave, so I started exploring it, and I hear an arrow hit something. So I started to look around cautious, and couldn't see anything. Then all of a sudden about 10 skeletons run around the corner behind me and arrow me to death. I'm never going underground again.

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

My name's Steve and I'm a Minecraft addict

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Little update on the castle:

user posted image

I think I'm going to build the mob trap in the castle's base as it gets pretty dark there at night and a lot of monsters get to spawn there.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:41 PM Edited by Robinski, 17 October 2010 - 04:05 PM.

I'm going back to uni later today for most of the week. I won't have any in-room entertainment except this laptop and a portable TV (4 channels).

I'll update you guys later in the week on my wasted time week's work.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:16 AM

Yeah the scare factor can be surprisingly high for a game so simple in graphics, I got a similar scare before I knew monsters could spawn during the day when in a dark underground area. I was carelessly running around a natural cave when I walked into a zombie which freaked the hell out of me!

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:50 AM

I usually don't carry many items with me, but this time I was bored from building and went into to a cave for a few in-game days. Needless to say, I came up with a load of stuff and no weapons/tools.

user posted image

I got to the surface of my resource mine, which is actually pretty deep and I spot a lot of stuff falling down on me, and I was like

user posted image

When I finally stopped running around like a little girl I took a look around me and I see a sh*t load of pork, eggs and leather.

user posted image

Quiteso
  • Quiteso

Disapproving of the actions of 'Players'.

• Members

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:20 AM Edited by Quiteso, 18 October 2010 - 04:47 AM.

I'm guessing all of you aren't playing the 'free' version? I've been trying it out and can't seem to do/try any of the stuff you're all talking about sad.gif .

On that note, what exactly do you do in this game? Is it worth buying? It looks like it could intrigue me!

Edit: I just watched a tutorial... looks awesome! Is there a way to play the alpha as a trial or something?

Edit again: All this business about surviving against zombies etc., is this in multiplayer or only in single player? Is the multiplayer kinda like a MMO (save your progress on servers etc.)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users