» «
Photo

Last Movie You've Seen

2,733 replies to this topic
Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:14 PM Edited by Brobinski, 16 May 2014 - 11:15 PM.

Two of my favourite recent films on one page! the last page!

Silver Lining Playbook really hit me hard because i'm diagonsed with Bipolar 2. Unlike alot of movies, it really portrayed the illness correctly and consequences perfectly. What really broke me down was a episode the main character had almost halfway through. Every little detail was spot on, from the Mental Hospital in the opening scenes, to how the police reposnded to all the incidents. If you know anyone else with an unfortunate mental ilness, please recommend this heartwarming film.

I absolutely loved SLP. I remember that I only ever watched it because it was getting pretty hyped up in Oscar season last year and being so incredibly surprised. I expected a typical, maybe slightly higher quality, rom-com and got a beautiful picture about what it means to be a bit broken and why it's perfectly fine to not be perfect.

It does tend to follow the standard rom-com beat, and the ending is so cliché I should have been disappointed. But, unlike most of the guff in the genre, Silver Linings earns the ending that it has. When put down on paper it feels contrived and forced, but when you've been on the journey with Pat and Tiffany it just works. It all hinges on Bradely Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's performances and they're fantastic. Lawrence gets held up as some great actress because of blockbuster schlock like the Hunger Games and people forget about this jewel in her crown. Much like Bradley Cooper, whose nuanced and grounded portrayal of mental illness in this film is stellar, is often known for The Hangover series despite being in gems like SLP and...

Last notable movie I watched was The Place Beyond The Pines. I was pleasantly surprised, although I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't really follow it on release, I saw maybe one trailer for it, so went in virtually blind.

At its core, this is a film about fathers and sons. It starts with Ryan Gosling's carnival stunt man turned drifter finding out that he fathered the son of a woman (Eva Mendes) he met while traveling through Schenectady a year prior. Quitting his job, he seeks to become involved in his young son's life, resorting to some incredibly desperate measures to do so.

His story intertwines with up and comer on the police force, Bradley Cooper. An event changes their lives, and the lives of those around them, forever. It's difficult to say much more than that without giving away some major plot points, including an early twist that isn't easy to see coming.

The pacing here was almost spot on. The film started to stumble a little towards the end, but wad held together by sone solid performances, particularly from the likes of Dane Dehaan (one to watch, possibly). There's a lot going on here; three different stories, though all related, and yet, it's difficult to feel too adrift amid all the other things going on.

I also found it a surprisingly easy, yet simultaneously gripping watch. It didn't take long for me to find myself really focusing in on what was going on; again, it's no popcorn flick, but it's easy to get invested in most of the characters, to such degree that you want to follow them. And, ultimately, the characters are the driving force of this story which, without revealing too much, carries with it hints of a would-be coming of age drama.

So, all told, I was fairly impressed. I enjoyed the film, so, that's always a plus. I was able to sit through it without constantly finding myself distracted.

Also, plus points for the use of Hall & Oates in the soundtrack. (... what? Don't look ay me like that.)

The Place Beyond the Pines is one of the most understated and brilliant films of the past few years. It may be my personal experiences with my father influencing my feelings, but the ambitious take on the idea of what it means to really be a father that this film has works on a number of levels. It presents no true answers but only the grey murkiness of what can go wrong if you go too far down one road.

It is not a film will lots of bells and whistles. There's no glamour to be found here. A number of set pieces take place that would be slick action sequences or over-wrought dramatic monologues in other films, but director Derek Cianfrance just lets them play out with no fluff or extra fanfare. It's this lack of pomp and circumstance that actually makes the central event mentioned in the quoted post so effective. It's all over in a flash of sound and fury and you're instantly left just looking at the consequences to take it all in.

It kind of trails off a little in quality during the last act I think, but it's completely necessary to completely tell the story of how the sins of the father affect the son.

A truly fantastic and ambitious film that may not quite grasp the truly epic quality it reaches for, but lands in greatness all the same.

Anyway, I watched something last night

300: Rise of an Empire

MV5BMTEwNTU2MjAwMDdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDk2

A largely unnecessary prequel/parallequel/sequel (which actually happens before, during and after the events of the first film) that departs in quite a few ways from the first.

300: Rise of an Empire follow the campaigns of Themistocles (Sullivan Stapleton), an Athenian general as he wages war against the seemingly unstoppable might of the Persian war machine's navy as King Leonidas' Spartans hold the Hot Gates against the land forces. Themistocles finds his match in Xerxes' unhinged naval commander, a traitorous Greek named Artemisia (Eva Green), as he tries to unite Greece to fight as one force against the Persian empire.

All the hallmarks of what made the first film great are present, but are either somewhat lacking or undermined by some other aspect of the film.

To give Rise of an Empire its credit though, it does look good. The stylish and slick action sequences that comprise most of the film, ducking in and out of super-slo-mo as they go, do look excellent and the same crazy excess that made the first look so good carries over. The only issue I would take with the look and visual of this installment is the colour. Where the red and gold filters of the first sat well with the visuals of the blood and glory themes, Rise of an Empire is very cold and blue. In an attempt to match the seas on which they fight for most of the film and it loses something with that. CGI blood just doesn't look as engaging when it's closer to black that red.

The biggest problem is the spot on the testosterone-fuelled blood and guts meter that the first hit so sweetly. In 300, the central characters are the Spartans: a warrior people to whom death in battle is the ultimate goal and the glory of the fight is all that matters. Led by the charismatic and ultra-masculine leader Leonidas, the ultra violence and super-glamorisation of the combat and the money shots of heads taking leave of their necks, it all makes sense then because that's what the Spartans are all about. But with Themistocles and the Athenians, everything is a little bit more political. They fight for freedom and ideals rather than just for the glory of themselves and the fight, so the gratuitousness and pleasure taken by the film makers in the violence just feels a little out of place.

So it would be fair to say that the problem is the lack of a King Leonidas. The lack of someone charismatic and crazy enough to make sense and function in the world that Zack Snyder created is the downfall. Except it's not. Because 300: Rise of an Empire has this crazy bastard at its heart:

tAFIMYLl.png

Eva Green nails the character of Artemisia so hard you could pin a Greek skull to a ship's mast with her performance. She has that crazy, obscene and just plain terrifying quality that's just brilliantly ridiculous and could only exist in such a comic-book influenced world. She has this swaggering walk and talk that had me convinced I wanted the Persians to just steamroll the Greeks and all their moping about freedom and democracy along with them. When you put  Artemisia's absurdity next to Themistocles' maudlin moaning, all of his scenes just feel like distractions from the scenes with the more fun character.

If you seek out Rise of an Empire, don't expect much. It's still stylish and fun, but not as much as the first. Eva Green stands out as a shining light of craziness in a cast that's taking itself a bit too seriously considering there's a perfectly waxed 8 foot tall guy wandering around in his pants declaring himself a god king.

Seriously though, I think I might be in love with Eva Green now.

• Failure and RiaJay21 like this

Garrett2013
  • Garrett2013

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:02 AM

Saw million dollar arm it was pretty good

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

oh sh*t there's a horse in the hospital

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:37 AM Edited by TheCacti, 25 May 2014 - 04:40 AM.

Finally got around to watching Jodorowsky's Dune, and boy was it something. 

You don't have to be familiar with the Dune universe to follow or like this tale, because it's just a story about a man with a passion to create a soul for himself.

Basically, this eccentric film maker by the name of Alejandro Jodorowsky is given the financial backing to make another film after the growing success of his previous two (El Topo and The Holy Mountain), and decides to take on Dune. He has no desire to retell the narrative or anything, but instead borrow the insanely rich and vivid content from the Dune universe as a means to create his own narrative about a cosmic consciousness. He hires a team of "spiritual warriors," who he deems to be the most talented artists of his time, along with a surreal cast including Salvador Dali, Mick Jagger, and Orsen Wells. But the film ultimately fails since no major studio was willing give the green light on production, claiming it was simply too ambitious, both in terms of technicality and capacity for an audience to comprehend it. 

There's some stellar artwork in there as well. Of course it can be found all over the internet, but I chose this trailer specifically because it doesn't give too much away. I'd suggest just giving it a watch and let it present itself to you :)

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:17 PM Edited by RiaJay21, 06 June 2014 - 08:05 PM.

The last movie I watched was The Canyons.

This is an odd one for me. It's a movie I followed right from the word 'go', given that it was a Paul Schrader/Bret Easton Ellis effort and, following the latter on Twitter, I ended up being exposed to a lot of the kickstarter campaigning and production notes posted on his feed. So, I'd been wanting to watch this for a while. It wasn't widely released, so I'd been casually waiting for the DVD when I noticed it come in at work on Monday.

First of all, I'll note that I set the bar very, very low here after trawling through all the 1-star reviews on IMDb. It didn't have a great reception, which I thought was kind of a shame, considering I'd been anticipating the release for a while, but it wasn't all that surprising. Part of the issue, here, I think is that The Canyons is billed as being 'from the minds that brought you Taxi Driver and American Psycho.' It is indeed. It is nothing at all like either of these films. It's easy to see where this would work from a marketing point of view, but this then means that we already have these expectations, and the film never quite meets them. It can't, because it's so drastically different from these creations - American Psycho, specifically, was from a different period in Ellis' life. The Canyons has more in common with his later work, i.e. Imperial Bedrooms or, if we're restricting comparisons only to films, here, then there's something reminiscent of 2009's adaptation of The Informers, here, which was almost universally panned. 

So, going in with these low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. The acting, while not being stellar, was better than average, with unexpected turns from James Deen (billed as an 'adult film star') and Lindsay Lohan, who were supported by a relatively strong cast comprising Nolan Funk, Tenille Houston and Amanda Brooks. Lindsay, Especially, was the real gem in this, if only because I didn't think she had it in her, but unfortunately, her turbulent personal life still threatens to overshadow her performance; her character is, typical of Ellis' writing, a bored, somewhat disaffected plaything of a rich, manipulative producer (Deen), but it's during the films later scenes where she really comes into her own. Deen, too, is a character very typical of Ellis; as previously stated, he's manipulative, dogged by an overbearing father trying to control his life, disaffected and considers himself invulnerable due to his sizeable trust fund. 

But, with the introduction of Funk's character, Ryan, there's a new concept thrown into the mix: love. In the past, this has mostly been defined as desire, lust, or ultimately as control. But it's the relationship between Lohan and Funk's characters that drives the narrative, albeit only marginally. It's unusual for this to be the case, although the film has its fair share of the whole 'sex to assert dominance and power' theme; still, this aspect of it seems to set Deen's character Christian, and Ryan up as almost polar opposites of one another.

Something vastly to the film's credit is the cinematography. It's beautifully shot in most instances, even during some of the more disturbing scenes, visually, everything makes sense. The stand out moments by far are the shots of various abandoned cinemas around L.A, often in grayscale, interspersed between the 'action'. The film itself is very outside of what Hollywood 'demands'. Ellis has often made reference to the 'post-Empire' age on his feed. It doesn't take much to ascertain that this is why these shots made it into the film. 

All in all, after spending a (very late) night in watching The Canyons, I wasn't as disappointed as IMDb seemed to dictate I should be. I didn't feel as though this was an hour and forty minutes of my life I would never get back. It was worth a watch, however casual, although I'm not yet sold that this is a film I could watch time and time again which is a shame considering I badly wanted it to be. It's not a 'best picture' winner, but it's certainly something different, and takes us to the dark recesses of the human mind in a way that only Ellis seems to be able to.
  • Mister Pink likes this

LOES
  • LOES

Kawaii!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

Just watched Edge of Tomorrow, it was pretty awesome if one enjoys a pretty good plotline, good casting, as well as all the epic battle scenes.

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

HolesMovie.jpg

Was on tv the other day and I thought it was gonna suck, but it was surprisingly good in my opinion. Jon Voight's role was brilliant haha!

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Yeah Holes is a great movie. Sigourney Weaver was excellent too.

I just watched Lego Movie. Surprisingly moving and the ending was especially good. Funny as well, would recommend.

The_Lego_Movie_poster.jpg

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

whitehousedown-finalposter-tatum-foxx-fu

White House Down. Watched it last night with my dad. Anyway, I like Tatum and don't mind Foxx. However, I felt like the humor within the film was a little forced at times and didn't quite fit in. A classic action film anyway due to the sheer amount of explosions and seemingly super high up mercenaries that can't fire an accurate shot to save their lives.

Didn't realise some other people were also in the film like James Woods (man he looks f*cking old in this film) Oh and Tatum's daughter in the film was kind of stupid too, just didn't like her.

Film was pretty long too. Just over 2 hours when it could of been condensed down into probably an hour and a half. Either way, if you can watch it for free then I'd recommend it if you have nothing better to do. But there's better things to spend your movie time on.

krashr
  • krashr

planet caravan

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:35 AM

divergent. i won't say that i saw it willingly, but also won't say that i hated it.. it's not bad, there are a few good bits in there and i am a bit of a sucker for dystopian storylines

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Saw 300: Rise of an umpire yesterday.

-and boy was it boring!

The original 300 was an ace, though. Not the original original, which was a bit rubbish, but the cartoon based original... Ummmm...

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

Last movie I saw was The Room, I love it, I always force other people to watch it and watch it with them because it's so hilarious.

jimmydsantaki288
  • jimmydsantaki288

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

I just rewatched Pulp Fiction. Great film.

• RiaJay21 likes this

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:39 PM Edited by RiaJay21, 12 June 2014 - 06:42 PM.

I just rewatched Pulp Fiction. Great film.

Most definitely. This, and Reservoir Dogs, they're certainly two movies that just seem to get better with each viewing.

Speaking of which, the last film I watched was Reservoir Dogs. I'm not going full on review with this one, as what more can I say that hasn't already been said?

Oh, and I still can't listen to Stealers Wheel without thinking of that scene. You know the one I'm talking about.
  • Failure and krashr like this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

I was having another fit of insomnia and too lazy to change the channel last night and Prisoners came on.. 

It was actually a pretty decent flick. Hugh Jackman was dark in this one man, I liked it. Jake G did a great acting job too.. a more dark detective with a dark past it seems, I don't know what his deal was. But the film touches you if you let it. I totally didn't expect the ending like that.. pretty cool ending.

I recommend it.

• Failure likes this

Seluryar
  • Seluryar

Pilot For Hire

• Members

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

I got a fandango gift card for my birthday, used it to go see Captain America Winter Soldier.

As a Cleveland native, I was happy to see some of the places I used to frequently visit in that movie, West Shoreway, Cleveland Justice Center, Euclid Avenue as well as a few other places i recognized. I hope to see Cleveland in many more movies in the future!

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Just rewatched the first Transformers movie.

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

Bait3D_poster.jpg

About a bunch of people and a couple of hungry sharks trapped in a flooded supermarket after a tsunami.

Really bad, predictable movie, with even worse acting, but I only watched it from start to finish to see who gets eaten next. Those parts were actually quite satisfactory lol.

Christian21J
  • Christian21J

I have small junk

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Due Date

due-date-movie-wallpapers-1920x1080-1.jp

One of my favorite movies of all time.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

MV5BMTM1NzM0OTcxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODU0

Pretty badass, plus it's Donnie Yen. I have to put this up there with some of my more favorite kung fu flicks. 

LOES
  • LOES

Kawaii!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:08 AM

Saw 22 jump street just saying but ice cube was hilarious

manrki42184
  • manrki42184

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:21 AM

Just watched Gangs of New York. Excellent movie.

• krashr likes this

ColePhelps27
  • ColePhelps27

Prankster

• Members

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

The Rover. Great film. 

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hard to Kill (1990): Steven Seagal must be the Jaden Smith of action movies but with cheesier quotes than Mr Freeze's.
  • Mister Pink likes this

manrki42184
  • manrki42184

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

I recently saw Jackie Brown. Great film, one of Tarantino's best.

• RiaJay21 likes this

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:36 PM Edited by Brobinski, 24 June 2014 - 10:36 PM.

Throne of Blood (Kumonosu-jō) (1957)

Throne+of+Blood.jpg

***A fair warning: This post will contain spoilers for both Throne of Blood and Macbeth. It's based on Macbeth. The story's been around for about 400 years. Spoilers aren't really an issue for something like that***

There's always been somewhat of a cultural gulf between the anglosphere and Japan. From language to social attitudes to food to media, everything is different whether it's by a little or by a lot. SOme of the best modern films trade on this fact to make an impact. Two of my favourite films of the last decade are set in Tokyo and use the almost alien locale to paint massively different pictures for a Western audience: Lost in Translation uses it simply as a slightly offbeat and eccentric backdrop while Enter the Void embraces the neon and sleaze of the Japanese underworld to create an outright trippy experience.

So in a way Throne of Blood comes as a bit of a surprise. This is a film created completely by a Japanese crew, actors and director. This is the country that gave us the crazy and fantasical Studio Ghibli films and Miyazaki's anime creations. Then, of course, there is Throne of Blood's director Akira Kurosawa who brings a grounded and powerful adaptation of one of the West's classics.

Set in feudal Japan, this version of the Scottish play follows Washizu, a general and leader of the First Fortress, who upon meeting with a spirit in the forest is told he will one day became the Great Lord of Spider's Web Castle. From this moment on a huge doom-laden shadow covers the events of Wushizu's life as, at the behest of his wife, he goes on to satisfy what may have always been a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Adaptations of Shakespeare are a dime a dozen.  As much as I scoff at Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet, plonking the star-crossed lovers in 1990s LA complete with original script was a ballsy, brilliant, brilliant idea. Unique spins on the classic tales like that can either make or break an adaptation. But using feudal Japan as the tapestry hits the balance right and is makes Kurosawa's film still feel fresh while not straying too far from the source. "A land ruled by lords and violent power" could refer to both 1600s Scotland and Japan easily.

This film is a powerhouse of classic cinema. The theme of a never-ending circle of violence (one major difference to the source material being the King Duncan analogue seized the throne by killing his predecessor himself) along with Kurosawa's beautiful direction to create a landscape as haunting and desolate as the highlands brings this darkest of Shakespeare's plays to a beautifully tragic adaptation.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:21 AM

The Purge

The_Purge_poster.jpg

A pretty cliche flick.. much like Panic Room but the backdrop is pretty interesting. For those who haven't a clue what this movie is about.. basically, the US Govt allows one day a year for citizens to commit crimes for 12hrs.. rape, murder, etc, etc, no limits. I pushed this movie off simply because it didn't look good enough but it always stuck to me as one to watch at some point.. so I finally watched it.

I'm actually suprised at how much I liked it. Sure, it seems like such a put together half-assed plot .. but Ethan Hawke did a splendid job and plus it has the lovely Lena Headey.. (mmm, the things I'd do to that woman). But yeah, I think it's worth a watch for any movie freak.. atleast a movie to put under the belt. Not a film that you will watch over and over or frequently but it's worth the time it plays.

Go for it.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

I'm happy they figured out what the interesting story of "The Purge" was and put that in the sequel. No one wants to see the story of a family trying to hold out in their home. You here there's no law, and people are encouraged to kill, that is when you want to see what the world is like outside that house. The almost certainly crazy sh*t people are doing to each other in a world with no legal consequences.

I think of that and it conjures images of Escape from New York meets the Warriors. They made the wrong movie first. Or maybe they made the right one. I don't know, I've seen neither, but am much more interested in seeing the sequel.

Anyway, I digress. I just watched Nitro Circus the Movie. I feel like I'm missing out by watching it in 2D, but at the same time, I don't have any real desire to watch it in 3D. And the stunts don't seem like they kicked them up a notch from the show, as one would expect. They're just as crazy, albeit sometimes more elaborate. It also feels like a commercial for their live show.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

I watched Blue Ruin on Saturday after reading Brobinski's review some time ago. It's about a guy who seeks revenge on someone who's getting released from prison. The person may or may not have killed his parents. 

I have to say I really enjoyed it - my friend and girlfriend did too. It's an unusual take on a kind of revenge flick genre. It wasn't a guns-blazing affair but it did have it's moments of gore and like Drive, it wasn't wall to wall gore but when it did depict violence it hit hard and it was very satisfying in the sense that it was brutal and I felt empathy and impact from it. 

http://www.rottentom...om/m/blue_ruin/

Just found out it's a kickstarter production too which is impressive. 

• Brobinski likes this

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

Goodbye world.

Basically it's pretty sh*t.

69_black_69
  • 69_black_69

Just Beacuase

• Members

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

Just watched Noah.

I'm no atheist, nor a fanatic religous sh*tbag, i just watched the film as it is, a fiction based on Noah story. Just can't see how people could get mad over something like this.
Now i know it's pretty late, but it was banned in my country. There's a lot of fanatic religious group here.

I watched it with a pretty low expectation, and turned out, i enjoyed it so much. I like how Noah is portarayed in here. He spoke to God, but not with his languange. He struggle to find the true meaning of God's will. And how the story played out, and how Russel Crowe acted is pretty good. 

Would watch another Darren Aronofsky masterpiece.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users