Photo

Last Movie You've Seen

2,851 replies to this topic
RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:54 AM Edited by RoadRunner71, 04 October 2013 - 10:54 AM.

And some more movie reviews, this time focusing on the first two parts of 'The Terminator'. If anyone is new to my reviews and want to know what my scores actually mean, check out my post a few posts back.

MV5BODE1MDczNTUxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA0

Easily one of the best films of the 80's.

This is an absolute gem by James Cameron and Schwarznegger. I'd totally recommend this film to any science fiction fan in general.

The acting is brilliant especially by Schwarznegger. He played the role of a computer robot perfectly. Linda Hamilton and Michael Beihn also came good.

I am a huge fan of the 80's vibe in pretty much anything, games (Vice City for example), music, movies etc and the Terminator captured that feel perfectly. From the clothing, to the city, to the night-life, to the cops, everything.

The effects will blow you away. It's actually hard to believe it's an 80's film when you see the effects, just mind-blowing.

The plot is great and intriguing and also not predictable which I like. You will never know what is going to happen next.

A brilliant film overall.

+ Great 80's vibe

+ Great acting

+ Good plot

+ Mind-blowing effects.

Overall Rating: 8.6/10.

MV5BMTg5NzUwMDU5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk2

Definitely lived up to the reception of the prequel.

Synopsis: This time Arnold takes the role of the good terminator to protect Sarah and John connor from a more advanced Terminator.

Well, honestly I know you guys are going to be disappointed but I don't know what to say about this, since I already stated it's positives in the previous review itself excluding the 80's vibe. Oh, well I'll try to dig up something:

Linda Hamilton is a bit more 'bold' in this film not like the Sarah in The Terminator, a bit more brave to put it that way. I liked that, 

The acting by Edward Furlong who was in his teens when the movie shot was also brilliant. 

The ending is what I like and is what makes me rate this film above the prequel, it's just well very emotional and it will bring you to tears.

Great film.

+ Great acting

+ Good effects again

+ Good plot

+ Amazing Ending

Overall Rating: 8.8/10

I'd definitely recommend these two gems to anyone pretty much. These two are a must-watch, I'd definitely put it in my personal list of 'Movies you should watch before you die',

Hope you guys enjoy reading my reviews, if you have any sort of feedback regarding my reviews, like your thoughts on the movies I reviewed or what things would you like me to notice the next time I watch a film.

Terminator 2 was far better than the first one. Can't say the same about the third one, though... I've heard that there's a 5th one in progress, with Arnold back, but I wouldn't expect much from it.

The last movie I've seen? I'm not sure, I think one with Dustin Hoffman starring but I won't do any review this time...

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

I've only watched one part from the 3rd one and that was the ending and I liked it. I've never watched Terminator: Salvation but I heard it was pretty terrible. 5 can be better though, since Arnold is back. (Arnold was not present in the 4th one)

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well, the third one wasn't as good as the first two movies but it was acceptable. I think the plot 

Spoiler
was a bit stupid but overall the movie it's enjoyable. About the 4th one, I was already told that was quite bad so I didn't really bother to watch it.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

The Terminator ended on the second part, because James Cameron decided that he told whole story he wanted to tell us. Third and fourth part are simply weak in terms of scenario and terrible in execution, because of lack of right people in the right places. If there's really fifth part in production I am not expecting much from it after two previous parts and at this moment I'm not even planning on watching that. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:25 AM Edited by AceKingston, 04 October 2013 - 11:25 AM.

Yeah I don't get

Spoiler

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

That's one of the points.

Spoiler

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:37 AM Edited by Gareth Croke, 04 October 2013 - 04:17 PM.

They dug themselves into a complete and total temporal mess, the Sarah Connor Chronicles didn't do it any favours either, they should have left it at two, but Hollywood gonna be Hollywood and they hate two parters.

By the time they wanted to do the third, it could have worked if they kept the temporal causality simple and clean instead of trying to muddy the waters by trying to be clever when in fact it counteracted the whole initial timelines and then nothing fitted together.  If they had done that and done a third a final part it could have worked out and it could have been great overall trilogy, instead we're left with that having to look at the films in blocks, the first two then the rest and look at the rest in the new Hollywood fad of 're-imaginings', because we can't call them remakes and we can't call them sequels because they don't match up to the timelines the original two made.  /Rant.

Anywho back to randoms posting the title of the film they last saw because that's all a review needs, eh? :turn:

EDIT: v v v Like So v v v  :facedesk: 

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Day of the Dead -1985

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Evil Dead 2.  I've been watching it every night since I found out that it's been on Netflix instant streaming.

• Mr.Scratch likes this

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Finally got around to watch Rush. Maaaaan, I just admire the film's honesty. I'm not a sports fan, at all, and sports movies are probably my least favourite genre, but every now and then one comes out that shines, like this one. The movie's based on the honesty of two men and their passion for Formula one racing. The two leads nailed their parts. Equally good, fleshing out the egos, arrogance, humor and passions of the two men Director Ron Howard doesn't sugar coat the reality of being a race car driver, fully displaying the physical and sometimes fatal tolls one may experience.

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

So I rewatched Full Metal Jacket and have to say I like the second and third act way more than the first. Maybe it's the first act's buildup that leads to that love, but there it is. The film is set up to make the military look like a fun frat party where jokes are tossed around and you have a hardass beating you into submission, but ultimately you're going to make it out... Then it hits the 45-minute mark and the tone completely shifts. Love that.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:58 PM Edited by Xerukal, 15 October 2013 - 04:00 PM.

The Grey. 

My god, such an amazing movie. So ambiguous and meaningful. It was like the Dark Souls of movies for me. A movie filled with metaphoric depression and tragedy surrounding death and how people accept death, the many deaths in the movie reflect how different people face death differently. 

It was truly touching. Liam Neeson is an incredible actor and the director of the movie did an amazing job with that memorable poem.

"Once more into the fray

Into the last good fight I'll ever know

Live and die on this day

Live and die on this day"

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

The Thing (2011) - because I was bored and it was on tv...

Not a bad movie, but far from being that good. It's just your typical, average horror movie with some freaky alien creature on the lose at a remote research facility. I have to say the creature effects were pretty cool and I would soil me pants if I saw that thing in real life

This is the prequel to the original 1982 movie of the same name, but I've never seen the first one, so I can't compare the two...

I would rate it 5/10. Maybe 6

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:03 AM Edited by I So Brink, 18 October 2013 - 12:04 AM.

Trance (2013)

Trance.+Official+uk+Quad..jpg

Somewhere between Slumdog Millionaire and producing the fantastic opening ceremony for the 2012 Olympics Danny Boyle managed to squeeze in the production of Trance.  It might be a little apparent that his attention was a little divided, and by that I mean it's no Trainspotting, but it doesn't stop the film from being entertaining.

What we have in Trance is a psychological crime thriller (and depending on your thoughts on hypnotherapy, it might be a little sci-fi). After a robbery at an auction house goes off the rails and the painting goes missing, the inside man who last had his hands on in suffers a bout of amnesia. Looking to fill in the blanks the thieves call in the services of a hypnotherapist and set themselves down a road full of twists, turns, false memories and distorted reality.

Danny Boyle's created something that feels a lot like a more grounded version of Inception. Everything in the film is technically possible if you accept that unlikely things always happen in movies. You get similar dream-like atmosphere but with a lot less of the crazy action. The hypnosis factor draws you in and leaves you guessing at to exactly what's real, what's happening under the trance and what's a false memory. As the film progresses it might be a little too much for some, myself included, and you get to a point where you just throw your hands up and say "I'll just wait 'til the end to figure it out!". Even then there does remain a certain pleasure in just going along with the ride.

There might be a few too many twists and turns along the way, but it gives Boyle ample opportunity to mess with you in another way. From the get go it's never clear whose side you're supposed to be on exactly, and considering everyone in the main cast is some sort of criminal, it makes it easy for allegiances to slide from character to character throughout the film right up until the final conclusion.

Of course, credit for that doesn't just lie with the director though. While the cast might no be quite A list (yet), they give an A rate performance. James McAvoy is one of Britain's biggest upcoming stars at the moment, after making the jump from TV to big pictures in 2007 with Atonement, he's just gone from strength to strength (including what looks like a delightfully sleazy time in Filth). He's fantastic at both ends of the spectrum; at home as much as the snivelling coward as he is the vengeful psychopath he just has a knack for taking characters on a real journey and changing, for better or worse.

Backing McAvoy up are Rosario Dawson (Death Proof) and Vincent Cassel (Black Swan). Dawson takes the lead as the intelligent and scheming Elizabeth Lamb, the supposedly legitimate hypnotherapist enticed by the thought of a payday from the underworld and a break from the monotony of treating over-eaters and smokers every day. Then there's Cassel doing what he does best: being somehow suave and incredibly seedy at the same time as the French ringleader of the heist gone wrong.

The three of them together make for an interesting dance throughout the course of film, each taking centre stage for long enough to play with your head as to who should come out on top, who's in the right and who's actually telling the truth. Trance might not ever be near the top of Danny Boyle's biggest hits, but it'll put you under its spell for an hour and a half and not disappoint.

Jinkla
  • Jinkla

Casablanket

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:54 AM Edited by Jinkla, 18 October 2013 - 08:54 AM.

Gravity

it was fine

i guess

but it lacked some serious

panache

along with

being the error.

You will remember this day.

ShaolinMaster
  • ShaolinMaster

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

The Final Countdown (1980), starring Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas. I must say, it's not a great movie, but the story is very intriguing, though. It actually made me think about how would I react in a theoretical situation of that kind.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

MV5BMTM2MTM4MzY2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQ3

As you all know I loved The Hangover and I really looked forward to the 2nd part, did it disappoint? Well, yes it did, sadly.

To put it simply: It's the same as The Hangover but in another City, Bangkok. Even worse I liked the Vegas setting in the first part and Bangkok feels kinda empty. 

Phillips should have tried to innovate this a bit. Even worse again, the jokes are exactly the same, which is lame.

It feels like Call of Duty, the same game every year but with a different story. Atleast COD changes it's story every year while The Hangover doesn't.

The acting was decent, there are a few humorous bits here and there.

Alan took the spotlight, if it hadn't been for him I'd rate this a bit lower than what I am going to do.

Overall, disappointing, a lame copy and paste of the first part in a new City, I really expected much more. If you have watched The Hangover, you will be really disappointed.

+ Decent Acting

+ Alan steals the show again

- Same story

- Bangkok setting does not feel right

- Same jokes

Overall Rating: 6.4/10.

SwizZzle
  • SwizZzle

Horseless Headsman™

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

I was watching 'MAMA' this morning prior to my drug test.
Decent movie, first time I watched it I was really into it, now it's like 'meh'.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:26 AM

Pacific Rim (2013)

Pacific+Rim+Jaws+Poster.jpg

Because sometimes you just need to come home and see a robot suplex a sea dragon.

Guillermo del Toro directed Pan's Labyrinth, a film that whether you like it or you have to admit has one of the most inventive and creative fantasy world seen in film. In Pacific Rim, GdT explores a different kind of fantasy world. This time though, it's not a Spanish take on dark fairytales, but a Japanese-inspired monster-disaster movie.

Pacific Rim (which, as a side note, is a terrible, terrible name for the film) is set in a nearish future where Earth is being troubled by the occasional invasion from giant aliens. In a different twist though, they don't come from the skies but some weird dimensional rift that's appeared at the bottom of the ocean; they climb out and terrorise pretty much all the cities on the pacific coasts. Mankind, not to be outdone by some finheads, have banded together to build a series of huge robots to fight back and boom we have our film.

That's pretty much it. There isn't a whole lot of depth to this. It's pretty much a Western take on the classic Godzilla films, and that's great! Not everything has to have weaving and intricate plots that take any available turn to create the illusion of being creative. There is a valid point to be made in that there's too little time spent with each character, and they're really simple at that price. There's something like 8 main characters and it doesn't help that each robot has to be piloted by two "rangers" who all seem to get the same amount of attention meaning you don't really get one main character. You do get a little and complete story arc for each character though, and that plays into the film's main message.

It doesn't take a professor to figure out that the main message of Pacific Rim is that "We're all in this together". Despite being a war film, it's all about coming together to achieve things we couldn't individually, from the large scale co-operation between all nations to fight off the outer-space menace to the personal connection that develops between the two pilots at centre stage. We're all broken in little ways, but we can cover each others' backs.

But if you think that's all a bit soppy, Pacific Rim is still just simply fantastic fun. The film's a little long, but at least half of it is made up of actions scenes where it's literally just giant robots and alien monsters beating the sh*t out of each other in the sea, in the city and on the sea floor. It looks beautiful. Set mainly in-and-around future Hong Kong it's a got a real techno-grunge factor with neon lights and grease everywhere and it inexplicably seems to be always raining for some reason. It's slick, stylish and is just f*cking awesome.

Guillermo del Toro knows that he's made a film about giant robots fighting giant aliens and that is all it was. He has essentially made that film that every eleven year old boy would have made had he been given a box full of sugary snacks and $190 million dollars.

• Tyler likes this

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

Just saw First Blood for the first time ever. Great movie.

LoneWolfMargaret
  • LoneWolfMargaret

Gamer, Artist, Lone Wolf.

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Not the best Marvel film I've saw but still pretty good. Can't really buy Jackman as Wolverine though, and no Stan Lee cameo! :(

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Carrie (2013) 

It's a remake of the 1976 movie based on Stephen King's novel. I think they chose the right cast for it but there really was no need for a remake. 

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Carrie (2013) 

It's a remake of the 1976 movie based on Stephen King's novel. I think they chose the right cast for it but there really was no need for a remake. 

-snip-

Another lame Hollywood remake full of special effects and nothing else?

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

No, if you take it as a remake it's one of the best I've seen this year. I just think a remake wasn't really necessary just so they could set it in modern times. But Moretz is definetely going to make it big.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:50 PM Edited by I So Brink, 27 October 2013 - 05:52 PM.

Remakes have their place in the cinema world, it just needs to be the right time. If new technology or techniques are available and mean a new or sufficiently different vision of the film can be produced then by all means go for it (Just look at The Thing). Same goes for when culture shifts and perspectives on films change. For example, I'd love to see a Breakfast at Tiffany's remake done well because the horrendous 60s racism present in the Mr Yunioshi character is a blight on a classic.

I can't really comment on the Carrie remake, having not seen either the new one or the old one, but I can confidently say that Chloë Grace Moretz is really going to go places.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

The Mist (2007)

Some strange mist suddenly covers a town of the North-Eastern coast of the US; everyone who dares to go into it awaits a painful but mysterious fate.

The concept was good, the result not that much. They resort way too much to ridiculous creatures and gory situations. A big part of the film was too slow, filled with some random and not too exciting situations. Toward the ending the plot begins to get a bit better; there are situations more related to the human nature than cheap action scenes with absurd creatures. I liked the ending, tho.

To be honest, it has been a disappointment as I had heard it was a good movie. I'd rate it a 6/10.

Lewis Chappers
  • Lewis Chappers

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:56 PM Edited by Lewis Chappers, 29 October 2013 - 12:00 AM.

I watched a drama titled Disconnect (2012) based on several different lives which are trailed through the internet and social media. It turns into an action towards the end (last half of an hour, I guess). I did enjoy the movie, however. I rated it personally as a 8/10.

Then later on, on the same night I watched Mean Streets (1973), starring Robert De Niro as a thick-headed bruiser under the likes of a small-time crime ring in the Little Italy district of Manhattan. Gave it a 10/10, and I loved the ending scene on the Brooklyn bridge.

albanyave
  • albanyave

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

Argo

The movie was ok.  What kept my attention was that the story had never been told before.  There were some tense moments towards the end.  You knew what was going to happen you just didn't know how. 

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Bad Milo was pretty damn funny.
Captain Phillips was amazing.
Sweet Vengeance a.k.a (sweet water) was so gritty

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

I watched a drama titled Disconnect (2012) based on several different lives which are trailed through the internet and social media. It turns into an action towards the end (last half of an hour, I guess). I did enjoy the movie, however. I rated it personally as a 8/10.
Then later on, on the same night I watched Mean Streets (1973), starring Robert De Niro as a thick-headed bruiser under the likes of a small-time crime ring in the Little Italy district of Manhattan. Gave it a 10/10, and I loved the ending scene on the Brooklyn bridge.

I have to agree disconnect was very good, so raw and full of emotion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users