2,767 replies to this topic
Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

Only God Forgives (2013)
user posted image

Nicolas Winding Refn set the critics and the internet alight in 2011 with the Ryan Gosling led Drive. His artsy take on a crime film stood out against the rest of that year's major releases with it's incredibly slow and deliberate pace. It also stood out somewhat as Refn's most "mainstream" production, if not by much. Drive was slick artistic and reasonably accessible while keeping a tight hold of that arthouse feel. A hell of a lot of people were expecting Drive 2.0. Only God Forgives is not that.

Only God Forgives goes a bit further from the beaten track and is full on arthouse with symbolism and slow-burn intensity coming out the back end. It created a mixed reaction with critics, to put it lightly. During its trip to the world famous Cannes Film Festival it was walked out on and booed in some screenings and came out of other with top critics awarding it perfect scores. The graphic violence and cryptic approach to storytelling understandably splits reactions pretty much down the middle.

From the get-go, OGF sets out its stall a creeping and eerie dynamic. No punches are pulled as we're introduced to Ryan Gosling's Julian and his brother Billy, who are American-born gangsters working the streets of Bangkok fronting as a Muay Thai boxing club. Billy manages to befall a deserving but gruesome fate which brings the brothers' mother as well as a vengeful police lieutenant out of the woodwork and sets them all on a journey of revenge and retribution exploring the nature of sin and forgiveness.

If you're big on hard hitting and compelling dialogue, this film is not the one for you. In a trademark style, Refn's main character here barely speaks (in his 2009 picture Valhalla Rising, the main character doesn't speak at all). Gosling apparently racks up a total of 17 lines in the entirety of OGF. Most of the feeling in the film comes from the physical acting and the beautiful, beautiful use of lighting and set dressing. Not everyone can agree on whether the rest of the film was impressive, but I'd challenge anyone to come up with a good argument for how this films doesn't look good. Deep blacks, broken by soft hues of gold and deep reds, are interspersed with expertly placed neons that lend the entire production the feel of a dreamy acid trip in the seedy backstreets of Thailand.

Major criticisms come in the form of the characters. Many have said they don't feel like people and just seem to represent "ideas" instead. And that's kind of exactly what makes the film a great watch. The three main characters, Julian, his mother and the lieutenant, are all pretty inhuman monsters to varying degrees. The lieutenant is a sin eater: he carries out harsh and brutal punishments on those who deserve it. This allows him to also be the agent of forgiveness. It might just be because I've been watching a lot of Breaking Bad, but just because someone is the main character doesn't mean they're the good guy, and just because the lieutenant is working against Gosling doesn't mean he's the bad guy.

Then you have Gosling. Julian is just completely messed up. There is a very overt Oedipal relationship between him and his mother, and it's clear it's just left him confused and belittled his entire life. This confusion and and inability to see the world in the simple black-and-white of the rest of the cast is why he's our main character.

I came because it was a Gosling (and Refn) movie, but I stayed because of Kristin Scott Thomas' Crystal. I haven't seen her in anything before, and truth be told I only knew she existed because of Jeremy Clarkson's obsession with her on Top Gear, but god damn does she steal the show here. It's a departure from her usual high-class and refined roles. She's a mafia take on Lady Macbeth, and it's brilliant.

Crystal is scary. Not in that "She's clearly a crazy psychopath" kind of way either. There's no sense that's she's crazy or just missing the empathy part of her brain, she's just plain cold and ruthless. There's no veneer, only straight up contempt, disgust and hate and Scott Thomas does it perfectly.

Only God Forgives is not going to make it on many "Best Films" list, but where it does it'll be pretty high up. I'm a sucker for good looking films and this is one of the best visual stories I've seen in a while. It's not Drive 2 by a long shot. It's a trippy, violent and unsettling film. One that I'm very pleased with.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

Nice review. I was in two minds about watching due to the very mixed reviews. I might just give it a go though.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

The Devil's Advocate. I'm not fan of Keanu Reeves but Al Pacino is epic in the ending.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (Limitless @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 07:18)
Well I watched 'RIPD' this morning. I heard mixed reviews on it, but I think it was a great movie. Pretty good comedy, awesome action scenes and well the leading characters were Jeff Bridge, Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Bacon so that pretty much sums up the movie right there. Great movie in my books!

Also, it had a pretty interesting plot twist towards the end...

I just saw a preview of this movie for the first time this week and I thought it looks pretty cool and funny. But I also immediately thought Men In Black clone, even though MIB is about aliens and RIPD about... What? Spirits? Ghosts? Deados smile.gif ? Will definitely watch it tho... It looks better than MIB. Is it?

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 11:36)
Nice review. I was in two minds about watching due to the very mixed reviews. I might just give it a go though.

Thanks. It really is quite divisive, much like a lot of Refn's work.

I just wish I could remember what I was saying to my friend about it the other day, apparently I really sold it to her. It was like 7am though and were both rolling after a rave so things are a little fuzzy. I was probably expressing how important I think the whole Lady MacBeth and Oedipus vibes I got from it were a key point though...
  • Mister Pink likes this

DarkStarfire
  • DarkStarfire

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:47 PM Edited by DarkStarfire, 01 September 2013 - 04:59 PM.

21 Jump Street

Hilarious cop movie/teen movie send-up. I'd liken it to movies like Tropic Thunder, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, in that it's not exactly a spoof but it does have a lot of fun screwing with genre tropes. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are surprisingly good considering the one-note characters they tend to play, and the supporting cast are great as well. The biggest surprise for me is that it's an R-rated comedy that mostly stays away from the Judd Apatow style of being raunchy for it's own sake. There's raunchy moments in it, but for the most part the humor comes from the dialogue and character interaction and the aforementioned spoof elements. Which is refreshing, since I'm not really a fan of raunchy humor.

Definitely recommended.

theonlytobyever
  • theonlytobyever

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:14 PM Edited by theonlytobyever, 07 September 2013 - 03:15 PM.

I just watch Now You See Me.

It entertained me.  The cast was great.

Alot of people hated it but I didn't think it was half bad. I'm not hard to please. 

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Saw '500 Days of Summer' a couple of days ago. Wow man, it really hit me deep. It's the first and only rom-com I've seen that's for guys and man was it relatable. The characters were really written and a couple of great performances from JGL and Zooey Deschannel mean you will be fully invested in this film. I even headed over to the IMDB page after watching it and was surprised at how much discussion about the characters motives and certain scenes there were.

Go out of your way to watch this film please.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

The River Wild, that was broadcasted yesterday night on TV. The movie was predictable but at least the filming location was nice...

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Ok just watched 'Elite Squad' and 'Elite Squad: Enemy Within', both action films originating from Brazil so naturally, they have subtitles.

I'll be honest, I went and watched the first one last night, after seeing it had a pretty high score on IMDB. Didn't go in with high expectations but came out thinking I'd just seen a fantastic film. 'Elite Squad' explores the relationship between the upper classes of Brazilian society and the lower classes of the favela, firmly placing blame on both sides for the boom in Rio's drug trade. However, it's main focal point is the corruption in the Brazilian police force and how it is almost incredibly difficult to survive as an honest cop. Great acting all round, well written and directed.

It's not very often that I think a sequel is better than the original but, 'Elite Squad: Enemy Within' is. In the early stages of the film, I thought it was heading the same direction as the first but then bam; it hits a curve ball and suddenly I'm watching a smart crime/political drama, with strong elements of action of course. This time around, we're no longer being shown the war against the drug dealers but instead, the war against corruption in the system. The film looks at what happens when the dealers have been eradicated and the corrupt cops and politicians still want to line their pockets. I won't go into much more detail as not to spoil too much.

Bottom line is, if you enjoy foreign film then these two are a must watch. The social commentary is second to none as no one is the hero in this action movie. A realistic portrayal of the social and political problems that appear to have engulfed Brazil presented brilliantly in this entertaining format.

NFPM
  • NFPM

Adrenaline Junkie

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:25 AM

Just watched Pain & Gain last night and I have mixed feelings about it.

I liked both Dwayne and Walberg characters, especially Dwayne, he's totally in conflict with himself and then against everybody, but I was expecting a bit more action, although the movie had some very funny scenes. In the end, it was good but it could have been better.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

Amelie (2001)

amelie_by_greyviolett-d2qctyw.png

A quick list of some things I like: critically acclaimed films, French women, quirky yet realistic characters.

A quick list of things I don't get: Amélie, the love for Amélie.

It should have been a perfect storm but I just didn't really enjoy Amélie at all. I finally got around to watching it after going through a "Movies like this" list for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which still sits on the throne of my favourite films, so I was expecting to fall in love.

Amélie just stinks to the high heavens of trying way too hard. It's charming, but it's too charming. It's quirky, but it's too quirky. It's whimsical, but it's too whimsical. The only grounding element in the film comes in the neuroses of Amélie herself: an introvert badly damaged by her incompetent parents who finds it hard to properly connect with others. But her broken social skillset is too little to stem the flow of tweeness flowing out of every other character and situation in the film. 

I'd be tempted to put it down to a simple difference of culture. Maybe it's just one of those French things that as an uncultured Englishman I'm never going to get? But I recently caught a few episodes of The Returned (a French mystery TV series) and that was beautifully bleak. As you might have already guessed from this review, I should have liked this. I tend to fall in love with the "manic pixie dream girl" characters despite how disgustingly unrealistic they are. Some of my favourite films are Garden State, Eternal Sunshine and Breakfast at Tiffany's (and that isn't easy for a straight, male twentysomething to admit) and was expecting Amélie to slot right in there in next to them but apparently I have a point where I draw the line and say "cut that quirky sh*t out, you're a grown woman for God's sake".

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

The Final Countdown starring Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas.  This is the synopsis...

A modern aircraft carrier (The USS Nimitz circa 1980) is thrown back in time to 1941 near Hawaii, just hours before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

SPOILERS AHEAD if you decide to watch this...

It starts out good enough.  Martin Sheen's character is a defense department worker, charged by a mysterious benefactor to assess the capabilities of the aircraft carrier Nimitz, while on a routine training mission in the Pacific.  A time warp inexplicably opens and swallows the carrier.  No one knows what happened not even the captain of the Nimitz, played by Kirk Douglas.  With no communications, the Captain sends out some scout planes to take some recon of Pearl Harbor, fearing that the Naval base was attacked with nuclear weapons.  At the same time they pick up low flying slow moving aircraft, and send two F-14 Tomcats to investigate.  The F-14s find that the unknown aircraft are Japanese Mitsubishi Zeroes.  These then fire upon a yacht owned by a senator, played by Charles Durning, and his aid.  This is what I was waiting for, and was most excited about this movie, 1980s fighter jets completely destroying WWII era prop fighters.  BTW this is 1980, so there are no real special effects, just real planes and jets flying around each other, and it's actually kind of enjoyable to watch the jets coming up behind, and then zooming past the Zeroes like nothing.  The Jets obviously make easy work of the Japanese planes.  Then at this time, the scout plane comes back and they find that Pearl Harbor is filled with ships that haven't (at that time) been around for 40 years.  And soon after they have a radar contact with a fleet with a description that matches the Japanese fleet that attacked Pearl Harbor.  Martin Sheen then jumps to the conclusion that they are in 1941, and it's the 6th of December.  After this the story falls apart in my mind.  It's like they ran out of money for dog fights, and actual action.  Eventually they decide to attack the Japanese fleet, and I'm getting excited again.  I wanted so bad for this single carrier to take on the fleet, and have these jets just launch bombs from 10,000 feet like a big bully holding the head of a smaller kid.  But no, the time warp reappears and the Captain decides to abort the mission.  So very disappointing.  Some time during this the ship's XO and the senator and his aid go to an island to keep the civilians safe, but the senator decides to hijack the chopper they use and then blows it up some how with a flare gun, stranding the XO and his aid.  The carrier goes through the time warp and then when they finally make it back to 1980 Pearl Harbor, Martin Sheen is offered by the mysterious benefactor a ride home.  And you guessed it, the benefactor turns out to be the XO and he's married the Senator's aid.  THE END.

Like I said, it had so much potential, but fell way short and was disappointing.

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

diary of a wimpy kid.

SuperVeloce
  • SuperVeloce

Paramore <3

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Went to see Rush at the cinema today, it was brilliant! A couple of slightly... squeamish (?) bits [maybe to me, perhaps I'm a wimp] but they added to the atmosphere of it. Would recommend it, especially those into F1. 

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

lockdown

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

Deceit (2006).

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

christine

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

diary of a wimpy kid.

lockdown

Deceit (2006).

christine

After reviews like that I am definitely going to go watch those films, the eloquent manner in which the films were reviewed make me think that we have a fine bunch of Roger Eberts in the making, he would have been proud of these examples of journalistic integrity.

Anywho my review

Paul

nlK8hLa.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092026/

Finally caught this film on TV last night and it was brilliant I've seen a lot of Pegg and Frost films before, but this one in my opinion is their best that I've seen.  Lots of references to other films within this some obvious some not, the end location was quite predictable if you know your Sci-Fi, if you didn't then might not have known, but the best reference was the country band at the bar playing the Cantina song from Star Wars, loved it.

Good humour throughout and a fairly solid script, good casting, although a cameo by David Duchovny or Gillian Anderson wouldn't have gone amiss for the true geek among us.  After seeing this film I do wonder if they would ever consider a sequel/cross-over GCI'd follow up with American Dad, because the mixture of Paul and Roger would be to quote popular phrase 'totes amazrballs'

Rating: 8.5/10

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Just got done watching Zero Dark Thirty.

I love Kathryn Bigelow.  She's just an excellent director.  From Point Break to The Hurt Locker, she has such a gritty style that doesn't distract from what's going on in a scene, but makes for beautiful shots and amazing performances.  I mean, it's still blah, but she actually got an okay performance from Keanu Reeves in Point Break.  That's gotta be worth something.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:23 AM Edited by AceKingston, 22 September 2013 - 06:07 AM.

MV5BMTMwODY3NzQzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUx

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116629/

To start off Independence Day is a pretty underrated film. It doesn't deserve the 6.8 it got on IMDB, it needed much more in my opinion like an 8.

To put it simply on whether you'd like the movie, if you are a Will Smith fan and want something full of action. This is the movie for you. 

Now down to the review:

Starting off. There isn't a dull moment in the film, not one, for me. Each scene has got action and there is always something happening.

To summarize the plot without spoilers: The aliens are attacking earth and it's upto the remaining survivors to fight them.

Yeah I know you're thinking 'Generic Synopsis, seems to be a childish movie' but it isn't. It's not your average alien/apocalyptic film. It's got it's own twists and tricks and it's also got a dose of comedy.

Will Smith once again steals the show. But the acting of others like Bill Pulman (Thomas J. Whitmore) and Jeff Goldblum (David Levinson) especially Pulman was amazing. Pulman really seemed like the type of guy who was a determined President who'd fight till he die.

The story will keep you guessing at one point it'd seem like the aliens are winning and at the other the humans, so it will have some twists and tricks in the trade.

The effects are great for a 1996 film and trust me, it's not worth a watch it's a must watch in my opinion. This film will have you glued to the TV screen for a good few hours. 

On a side note: Sequels for the film are rumored once again featuring Will Smith.

+ Great Acting

+ Full of action

+ Excellent effects

+ Good story

Overall Score: 8/10

MV5BMzUzOTU1MjEwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQ3

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816436/

Now Black Water in contrast to Independence Day is well feels 'life-less'.

It's a fairly decent film but it isn't what I'd call a must-watch. It's something to watch when you have nothing else to watch.

The story unlike Independence Day is generic. There's a big crocodile in some lake in Northern Australia and there are some campers who try to survive and that's it. Nothing compared to Anaconda which remains my favorite in the crocodile/these sort of films category.

Even though the genre says 'horror' it has no horror at all because like I said it's too generic. You can guess what happens next.

The acting is pretty decent. Some good scenes here and there but if there is one thing i like about the film, is the tree setting. Some may find it boring but I found it interesting, they made use of that one tree and transformed it into a very important part of the film.

Overall not too bad, not too good, somewhere around the average mark is where I'd rate this film.

+ Unique tree setting

+ Decent acting 

- Generic story

- Feel 'life-less'

Overall Rating: 5/10

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

the hills have eyes- remake

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:00 AM Edited by AceKingston, 30 September 2013 - 05:02 AM.

Before we get down to the review, I'll tell you guys the 'legend' of my scores:

1-3: Awful

4 - Poor

5 - Average

6 - Decent

7 - Good 

8 - Very Good

9 - Excellent

10 - Masterpiece

MV5BMTU1MDA1MTYwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcx

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The Hangover isn't the 'serious' type of movie. It's an action-packed comedy. It'll give you the laughs if you have a decent sense of humor. It's some smart entertainment and really it's a good time-pass film.

The main thing your looking for in a comedy genre film is the comedy itself and this movie has got that spot on. It also mixes it up nicely with a dose of action.

I absolutely love the Vegas setting. It's just like an average guys weekend in Vegas. The nights, the city, the casinos, everything.

To sum-up the plot: Four friends go to Vegas for their fourth friend (Doug's) wedding. However Doug goes missing and they need to find him before the wedding which is just a day away. Problem is they don't remember what happened last night since Doug went missing overnight and they found the room they were staying in a mess.

The acting is simply superb. Bradley Cooper (Phil), Ed Helms (Stu) and Zach Galifinakas (Alan). What interested me was that the three protagonist had strong references to Michael, Trevor and Franklin from GTA V.

Phil - Michael: Both are rich and both are the 'cool' guys in the story.

Stu - Franklin: Both think they are surrounded by morons. (Not exactly regarding Stu's case but still pretty close. Stu is always worried by the things that Phil and Alan do and Phil and Alan always surround Stu.)

Alan - Trevor: The two of them are the 'mad' guys in the story.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this movie to anyone, especially if you are looking for a comedy film to pass off time and relieve stress.

+ Good sense of humor 

+ Action-packed

+ Great Vegas vibe.

+ Good plot.

Overall Rating: 8/10

MV5BMTk4ODQzNDY3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODA0

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/

Another masterpiece from Christopher Nolan.

The Dark Knight Rises is the third part and the final in Nolan's Batman series and it did not disappoint. With superb acting, effects and story it definitely was one of the best films of 2012.

But for me The Dark Knight will always stand out. Why? Because this misses the 'Joker' vibe. I loved Heath Ledger's acting in the prequel and that gave The Dark Knight a unique feel, maybe if he had been alive this film would have been different but TDK will always be better than TDKR.

On to the pros now: The acting is simply superb. With Nolan as Director and the film with stars like Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Joseph-Gordon Leveitt, Gary Oldman and others, that was certainly expected.

The effects are great and it is simply packed with full of action. I like the Gotham (Manhattan) setting, a city riddled with corruption on all sides, that was unique.

Overall, I'm just going to say that I would recommend this film to:

Any Christopher Nolan fan.

Anyone who loved The Dark Knight.

Anyone who is bored and is looking for a new film.

+ Christopher Nolan 

+ Superb acting 

+ Great effects

+ Good setting

+ Good plot

- Misses the 'joker' vibe.

Overall Rating: 8.6/10

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

@I so brink: Amelie is one of my favourite films but on my last viewing of it I realised and agree with it being too whimsical/quirky etc. I found it hilarious at times but the softie in me adores it and I always "get something in my eye" when Amelie finds the toy-box and leaves it in the phone booth for it's owner to find - seeing all his childhood memories flashing back is beautiful. 

Keep the reviews coming dude.

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Watched Fright Night

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:51 PM Edited by I So Brink, 03 October 2013 - 10:01 PM.

@I so brink: Amelie is one of my favourite films but on my last viewing of it I realised and agree with it being too whimsical/quirky etc. I found it hilarious at times but the softie in me adores it and I always "get something in my eye" when Amelie finds the toy-box and leaves it in the phone booth for it's owner to find - seeing all his childhood memories flashing back is beautiful. 

Keep the reviews coming dude.

Yeah I'm usually the same, and I was really disappointed by how much I didn't like Amelie. That sort of stuff is usually right up my street. I think I know what it is now though. It's usually that there needs to be a tradeoff to all the cutesy and manic stuff and there just wasn't enough of it. I know there's the whole aspect that Amelie is like, really lonely but it's not like she's actually alone. Everyone around here seems to like her and she makes pretty deep connections with ridiculous ease (like the building owner woman spills her soul on their first meeting). I think she's just a bit confused really and doesn't know what she wants.

It's not like Breakfast at Tiffany's where Holly is essentially a prostitute (although it's never explicitly said) and is clearly all sorts of f*cked up, despite being this carefree and live in-the-moment kind of girl. She's surrounded by people who only want to be around her for a good time (and I mean that both innocently and the "have a good time" way) but couldn't give a sh*t about her. She's not technically alone but she's surrounded by people that make her feel alone.

So what I'm saying is Hepburn>Tautou haha.

I'm actually pretty annoyed with myself at the moment, with work and GTA being released I've not been able to watch many films at all recently. Gonna give Byzantium a watch as soon as I get a chance. I've got high hopes for Gemma Arterton's career and I love a proper vampire movie!

Also:

Watched Fright Night

Please stop doing this. I wish I could refer you to the subtitle still.

arenagooogle
  • arenagooogle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

the last movie that i seen was Fast n furious 6.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

That's nice.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

The Lone Ranger. 

A pretty good movie, to be honest. Enjoyed it. Don't get why all the critics mauled it. 

The finale was amazing. Especially with Hans Zimmer's version of "William Tell Overture" 

Has a real familiar Pirates of The Caribbean feel to it. Love it. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

And some more movie reviews, this time focusing on the first two parts of 'The Terminator'. If anyone is new to my reviews and want to know what my scores actually mean, check out my post a few posts back.

MV5BODE1MDczNTUxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA0

Easily one of the best films of the 80's.

This is an absolute gem by James Cameron and Schwarznegger. I'd totally recommend this film to any science fiction fan in general.

The acting is brilliant especially by Schwarznegger. He played the role of a computer robot perfectly. Linda Hamilton and Michael Beihn also came good.

I am a huge fan of the 80's vibe in pretty much anything, games (Vice City for example), music, movies etc and the Terminator captured that feel perfectly. From the clothing, to the city, to the night-life, to the cops, everything.

The effects will blow you away. It's actually hard to believe it's an 80's film when you see the effects, just mind-blowing.

The plot is great and intriguing and also not predictable which I like. You will never know what is going to happen next.

A brilliant film overall.

+ Great 80's vibe

+ Great acting

+ Good plot

+ Mind-blowing effects.

Overall Rating: 8.6/10.

MV5BMTg5NzUwMDU5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk2

Definitely lived up to the reception of the prequel.

Synopsis: This time Arnold takes the role of the good terminator to protect Sarah and John connor from a more advanced Terminator.

Well, honestly I know you guys are going to be disappointed but I don't know what to say about this, since I already stated it's positives in the previous review itself excluding the 80's vibe. Oh, well I'll try to dig up something:

Linda Hamilton is a bit more 'bold' in this film not like the Sarah in The Terminator, a bit more brave to put it that way. I liked that, 

The acting by Edward Furlong who was in his teens when the movie shot was also brilliant. 

The ending is what I like and is what makes me rate this film above the prequel, it's just well very emotional and it will bring you to tears.

Great film.

+ Great acting

+ Good effects again

+ Good plot

+ Amazing Ending

Overall Rating: 8.8/10

I'd definitely recommend these two gems to anyone pretty much. These two are a must-watch, I'd definitely put it in my personal list of 'Movies you should watch before you die',

Hope you guys enjoy reading my reviews, if you have any sort of feedback regarding my reviews, like your thoughts on the movies I reviewed or what things would you like me to notice the next time I watch a film.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users