» «
Photo

Last Movie You've Seen

2,767 replies to this topic
John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:55 PM Edited by John The Grudge, 13 March 2009 - 03:58 PM.

Just watched Triangle. It's a Chinese film about three friends with a shakey relationship. Fei is taxi driver, Sam's wife is cheating on him (with a cop) and Mok owns an antique store. They are all broke.

Fei is supposed to carry out a robbery for the triad with Sam as the driver, Sam wants to back out which puts Fei in a awkward position with the traid. The three are arguing over the situation when a man approaches them and tells them about a treasure chest and it's location. The three decide to steal it. They need to deal with each other while Fei avoids the triads and Sam contends with his unstable wife and the cop (who's suspiciously wise to thier plans).

Triangle is interesting because it's produced and directed by three people. Tsui Hark, Ringo Lam and Johnny To. This fact alone makes this worth renting. Each director takes charge of about thirty minutes of the film in the order I mentioned them.

I found this to be an entertaining rental and worth about 3/5. The problem is also the film's main draw. There's very little continuity between the three segments. Each segment takes the story in a new direction. This can be confusing and a tad frustrating. I really like Johnny To films so the third segment was my favourite. He does a good job of bringing the film to a satisfying conclusion.

Consider this an interesting experiment by three of China's most famous directors. It won't blow you away but it's a must watch. icon14.gif

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

The remake of the Planet of the Apes was on just now, and I watched it for the first time since its release. I didn't like it then, but upon second viewing it was actually alright. Ending was a bit crap though, nothing compared to the original.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

That remake made me want to throw Mark Wahlberg off a very high bridge.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Mar 14 2009, 09:42)

Tim Burton, too.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:32 AM

Oh my God, I was wrong, it was Earth all along...

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Mar 13 2009, 23:42)

Even I watched it, but I didn't have a strong reaction to it... I didn't pay to see it! hahaha
I love Wahlberg in his tougher roles like Four Brothers and The Corrupter.

I'd certainly own them and watch them again.

======

I just finished watching THE VANISHING POINT twice, once with commentary and without.
This film was made in 1970 and 71, it predates MOST road movies, however, the commentary is till very enlightening. You get some of the director versus Studio politics and even with regard to marketing such a movie. How the additional funding went into beefing up the Dodge Challenger's SOUND!

How they put the Challenger through the proverbial Wringer so that they needed a number of cars and used them all!

It's just a fantastic car fan movie because it's all done for real, no effects, and some of the BEST stuntmen and camera work of it's time.

John A. Alonzo filmed this, and he passed away a few years back. He helmed the camera of Scarface, BTW!
I'm sure most of you know...and respect him.

Master of Pain.
  • Master of Pain.

Somewhere I Belong

• Members

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

I finally watched Prince of Darkness. Loved hearing that quote from "Dark 3.16".

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Mar 14 2009, 12:32)
Oh my God, I was wrong, it was Earth all along...

You've finally made a monkey (yes, we've finally made a monkey)...

-maddog-
  • -maddog-

- SkyBum -

• The Connection
  • Norway

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

Last movie i saw i think was The Dark Knight!

lost for words!

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

I watched Wall Street last night cause it seemed to get mentioned/spoofed a lot in TV shows I'd watched lately. Can't take Charlie Sheen seriously as an actor anymore; he's just too damn funny and dry witted in Two and a Half Men.

Tempted to watch Heat again.

copperwire93
  • copperwire93

Copperdude

• Members

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

I watched The Punisher The War Zone. Hope I got Dragon Ball The Movie DVD soon.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

I watched Taken through the week. It was an enjoyable film. Pretty run-of-the-mill action movie, but something about it just put it above other films that spring to mind in the same genre. I liked Neeson's character for how calculated and smooth he was, especially where he shoots the French guy's wife in the arm and then threatens to kill her. If I had to complain about one thing, he seemed a bit invincible. And there were no real twists, from what I remember. Still, it did a good job at entertaining me for a couple of hours.

I also have American Psycho rented out to watch, so I'll probably post back about this.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (mark-2007 @ Mar 15 2009, 02:44)
I watched Taken through the week. It was an enjoyable film. Pretty run-of-the-mill action movie, but something about it just put it above other films that spring to mind in the same genre. I liked Neeson's character for how calculated and smooth he was, especially where he shoots the French guy's wife in the arm and then threatens to kill her. If I had to complain about one thing, he seemed a bit invincible. And there were no real twists, from what I remember. Still, it did a good job at entertaining me for a couple of hours.

I didn't get into it. There are obvious reasons, and I can't be bothered.

Let me know how you got on with American Psycho, though.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Mar 14 2009, 15:19)
Tempted to watch Heat again.

Go for it! It's one of my favourite films and one of those classic crime movies that you don't moind watching again and again.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

Film: Bronson

Director: Nicolas Refn

It wasn't a particularly bad film, it was quite entertaining at times with a good few humorous moments, but 'Bronsons' failure is the fact that it has little depth. We are neither drawn into a deep biographical approach to his life, nor do we probe the inner workings, thoughts and philosophies of his mind, it teeters at times between both aspects, but never builds upon them. The film seems to focus less on the factual aspects and more on the fact that Michael Peterson aka Charles Bronson was a completely violent nutter. It's not bad, if you have an hour and half to burn away at the cinema.

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

I saw The Descent on sunday. The hangover sucked, but the novie was great. A true horror film, i must say. I don't get scared easily, i really don't and i never minded gore, but this movie got to me surpisingly much. Brilliant.

user posted image

nookjie
  • nookjie

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

"The Ring" is coming right now on german channel "Pro7", such a nice film. biggrin.gif

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:38 AM

The Deer Hunter was just on now, and I haven't seen it in years. This is my all time favourite movie, I can't even begin to describe how amazing this film is. I can honestly say I was close to tears at the end, the final roulette scene had me on edge even though I knew the outcome.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

Last Tuesday, I watched one film, and one Broadway special. Both entertaining.

user posted image

The Backwoods (2006)
- Starring Paddy Considine and Gary Oldman, tells the story of two couples vacationing in Spain. While the two husbands (Paddy, Gary) are out hunting, they stumble upon an empty house, and discover a deformed girl locked in a small room inside. Paul (Oldman) decides on rescuing her, and sets off a chain of violence and death. The family of the child provide the antagonists hellbent on locating the girl. Regardless of less-than-stellar reviews, I found this movie very entertaining. Gary steals the show as the man with guts, while Paddy makes you despise him as the spineless ass. An odd story, suspenseful progression, and what I thought was a great finish, I'd recommend a watch for this low-budget flick.

user posted image

You're Welcome America. A Final Night With George W. Bush (2009) - Holy f*ck, this is funny. I laughed more watching this, than I did Step Brothers. Will Ferrell is without a doubt, as funny as I've ever seen him as the former Prez. An hour and a half special, this is another win for Will. The mannerisms, the faces, the voice, the irreverent and obscene topics of discussion, Ferrell does it all. This is gut-busting funny stuff, and shockingly refreshing. Ferrell is a showman.

RabbitCFH
  • RabbitCFH

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

Training Day. I love it. Denzel Washington's role of his life.

Neal40000
  • Neal40000

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (RabbitCFH @ Mar 22 2009, 08:31)
Training Day. I love it. Denzel Washington's role of his life.

i saw that a few weeks ago, absolute awesome movie, i wasnt too keen on the actor of the rookie at first, but later on you sorta decide that he's perfect for it.

anyway i watched I Am Legend last night, it was nothing like what i expected it to be about, a cool story but i missed the first 5 minutes which is the most important part of the film (to know what happened) so my sister had to tell me i was a bit confused about how it all happened still to this point. but yeah it was pretty cool.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

All the President's Men

A while ago, I was poking around a second-hand bookstore for some treasure. I had lost my copy of ATPM a while ago, and, as luck would have it, this store had a copy for fifty cents. So, while I was reading the book I decided to buy the film (as I hadn't seen it for a long time), and only just got around to watching it.

I liked it a lot more than in the past, as my knowledge of the Watergate Scandal had increased between viewings. Redford and Hoffman played their parts very well, at all times playing it very naturally. There's actually a moment where Redford screws up a line, but it was kept in the film as it just seemed a natural mistake for the very tired Bob Woodward to make. Actually, the cast really do make this film. Understated naturalistic performances all round.

The plot itself is taken directly from the factual information found in the book. For those who haven't read it, it's basically an account of how two Washington Post local writers broke the story of Nixon's dirty tricks squad following a break-in at the Democratic National Headquarters. It's an amazing story, and proves that sometimes truth is more interesting than fiction.

My major gripe with the film is that it ends very suddenly. While the ending works for a number of reasons, it also skips some of the breakthroughs made by the journalists between Nixon's reelection and his eventual resignation. Instead, we see that chunk of history unfold via close-up of a teletype machine.

It's a great film for those who are interested in that strange period of American political history. Might be a bit boring for the rest.

We're playing divorced guys.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Mar 22 2009, 15:09)
My major gripe with the film is that it ends very suddenly.

You do hear that a lot, but the movie is excellent nonetheless. Even for people who aren't too deep into the whole American political history thing wink.gif

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

Wanted. Brilliant movie.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Azazel @ Mar 22 2009, 19:23)
Wanted. Brilliant movie.

Hmm, you want a brilliant movie? Well take a look in the GTAForums Top Movies topic that's been created recently. You'll find plenty of classics in there.

Groovy
  • Groovy

General

• The Connection

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:19 AM

Saw Knowing tonight. You guys need to not write this off as some lol nic cage stuff. It ended up being pretty damn awesome. Yes, there are some cringe moments were nic cage slips into his mode of being well....nic cage like, but for the most part, he's pretty good, alot better then the last few movies he's done. There was also some pretty good action, music was very kinda over the top 50's sci fi with a hint of some danny elfman esque stuff which i really liked aswell.

Give this one a shot guys.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

I think I'll wait for that one to come out on DVD. One of my lecturers (whose opinion I tend to naturally agree with) said that, save for a couple of amazing sequences, was a pretty terrible film. I'll give it a chance if you reckon it's worth it, though.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

Saw I Love You, Man on Friday night. I personally thought it was great. Filled with some great laughs, good music, etc. If you enjoyed Role Models and/or Forgetting Sarah Marshall then you'd probably enjoy this too. Paul Rudd and Jason Segel are brilliant when put together.

RabbitCFH
  • RabbitCFH

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

One Eight Seven. Good.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:55 PM