» «
Photo

Last Movie You've Seen

2,775 replies to this topic
Nick Papagiorgio
  • Nick Papagiorgio

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (Scarface187 @ Feb 14 2009, 19:56)

Kept switching between Beverly Hills Cop and The Godfather on my break today. Both are great movies. I just can't get enough of that damn synth score.

Ha, same here. Watching it now on AMC. Part II is starting now. Such a classic, you cannot get tired of it.

I saw Everything is Illuminated not too long ago, on Cinemax, and I thought it was a well-done movie. Liev Schreiber (he will be Sabretooth in the new Wolverine movie, and he recently starred in Defiance) directed this, and he did a top-notch job, considering it was his debut film. Brief synopsis; Elijah Wood makes a trek to Ukraine to find the person who saved his grandfather from the Nazi's; cultural confusion and interesting revelations drive the movie, making it a great comedy-drama film. The tour guides, a grandfather-grandson duo of Eugene Hutz (lead singer of Gogol Bordello) and Boris Leskin, provide great humor to a dramedy film. Especially Eugene Hutz. The guys translations were f*cking hilarious, like translating sleep into "repose" or "zzzzzz's". Definitely a movie worth watching.

tommy vs. claude
  • tommy vs. claude

Wave good-bye to your head wanker!

• Members

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:00 AM

I just watched There Will Be Blood. It was ok. The acting was great and all, but the plot when nowhere and the ending was bad. Some of the scenes that I thought were important didn't even have any major impact on the story at all.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (tommy vs. claude @ Feb 15 2009, 15:00)
The acting was great and all, but the plot when nowhere and the ending was bad.

You're the only person I know who didn't like the ending. What was so bad about it?

tommy vs. claude
  • tommy vs. claude

• Members

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Feb 15 2009, 05:03)
QUOTE (tommy vs. claude @ Feb 15 2009, 15:00)
The acting was great and all, but the plot when nowhere and the ending was bad.

You're the only person I know who didn't like the ending. What was so bad about it?

It just seemed that it happened too soon. If they just would have taken the scene out with Daniel beating Eli to death with bowling pin out all together and had focused more on him humiliating him Eli and HW and explained what happened after the movie it would have been great.

Not to mention the ending was totally abrupt.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:13 AM

But... that ending was a perfect representation of who Daniel Plainview was. It was an amazing climax.

Oh well, to each their own, I guess.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:14 AM

Last time I was at the theater I saw Valkyrie and Gran Torino on the same night.

Grand Torino was one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life.

Valkyrie would be good if they chose a different actor instead of going for a big name homosexual like Tom Cruise.

tommy vs. claude
  • tommy vs. claude

• Members

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Feb 15 2009, 05:13)
But... that ending was a perfect representation of who Daniel Plainview was.

That I agree with, but it seemed the movie sacrificed the other characters as a result. There was no other character development and all, except HW to a certain extent.

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

Watched Videodrome again last night, first time in a while.
Damn, that movie is trippy as f*ck. James Woods' is honestly one of the many men.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (makeshyft)
Those sound like some pretty solid recommendations - thanks for the heads up. I particularly like the sound of Mary and Max. It's so refreshing to see animated films that don't rely on CGI.
(...)
I'll definitely be watching that - it looks funky as hell! Thanks for sharing the link.
Thanks mate, glad someone picked up on my ramblings. smile.gif

QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Feb 15 2009, 07:12)
Watched Videodrome again last night, first time in a while.
Damn, that movie is trippy as f*ck. James Woods' is honestly one of the many men.
It's been a while since I last rewatched that one, but hell yes!

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Going to watch the Road Warrior soon. Love that movie.

God, I want a poster of Max walking with his sawn-off and the dog next to him.
It looks so badass.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

Last night I watched MIRЯORS on pay-per-view. I liked it. I don't see why it got such negative reviews from the vast majority of critics. It was pretty damn unique, had some suspense that a lot of horror films these days lack, good acting, music, and some pretty f*cking cool deaths.

Once I get my college budget sorted out, this will definitely be added to my DVD collection.

Wuirt
  • Wuirt

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:21 PM Edited by Wuirt, 15 February 2009 - 11:38 PM.

I just finished watching The Machinist. Is it just be or does the film just scream Alfred Hitchcock?
The driving scenes are reminiscent of Phsyco, the score is very similar to the work of Bernard Herrmann who composed the scores for many of Hitchcock films, the whole thing of not revealing certain more sinister elements of the story for example what's dripping from the fridge? is also a lot like Hitchcock. If you're a Hitchcock fan like me i can almost guarantee you'll enjoy the film.
Christian Bale was pretty f*cking amazing in the film, the massive amount of weight he lost for the film shows just how committed he is to his roles, he is the man.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Watched Tropic Thunder last night. Pretty funny, Robert Downing Jr stole the show. Ben Stiller was funny too, Jack Black wasn't that good in it. But good film overall.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

It still bitchslaps me that RDJr. got a f*cking Oscar nomination for that. Like, he was real funny, but an Oscar NOM! Wowee.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Chunk @ Feb 15 2009, 20:35)
Watched Tropic Thunder last night. Pretty funny, Robert Downing Jr stole the show. Ben Stiller was funny too, Jack Black wasn't that good in it. But good film overall.

I don't know what my expectation was, if it was down on that beforehand, I wanted to see the new Batman but the timing was off, so Tropic Thunder it was.... not at all bad! Saw it twice now.

I just watched the law drama Class Action, it brought a tear to my eye, in fact, very touching and class movie with Gene Hackman. It was part of a taped cable high light with a spotlight on his career, and made me want to see The Unforgiven again.

• Members

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

user posted image

Watched Let The Right One In for the third time a few hours ago. This time I watched it with my old man, but as I knew, he didn't get it. He thought it stunk, but I tried to explain the awesomness of it. Didn't take. Ah well, countless reviewers and myself can't be wrong. I fell in love again with the amazing storytelling, Oskar and Eli, and that wonderful cinematography. Shame that this is gonna experience a souless American remake. Vampires and romance, wrapped around a touching story of a lonely soul meeting the right person at the right time. I f*cking love this movie, what can I say. If you haven't seen this, do yourself a favor, and watch it. Eli is one of my all-time favorite movie vampires.

Hart
  • Hart

who are you

• Members

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:04 AM

Just watched the 1990 Night of the Living Dead for the first time, f*ck me what a great zombie film. Zombie films need to go back to the stumbling, lurching types - so much more scary. One thing I noticed, when watching more modern zombie films, I tend to look at the zombies as actors with make-up. When watching this I was like watching "real" dead people walking about.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Feb 18 2009, 03:01)
[center]

Watched Let The Right One In for the third time a few hours ago. This time I watched it with my old man, but as I knew, he didn't get it. He thought it stunk, but I tried to explain the awesomness of it. Didn't take. Ah well, countless reviewers and myself can't be wrong. I fell in love again with the amazing storytelling, Oskar and Eli, and that wonderful cinematography. Shame that this is gonna experience a souless American remake. Vampires and romance, wrapped around a touching story of a lonely soul meeting the right person at the right time. I f*cking love this movie, what can I say. If you haven't seen this, do yourself a favor, and watch it. Eli is one of my all-time favorite movie vampires.

WORD. ahem, word son. I watched it about two weeks ago. To say it left a lasting impression on me would be an understatement..dont think a day has gone by without me thinking about it. Id like to discuss it but im not even going to chance a spoiler, wouldnt want to even potentially ruin it for anyone. May make a topic tomorrow. Hope the remake does it some justice, highly doubt it.

• Members

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

Well maddog made a topic for it a while ago. Guess you missed it.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Feb 19 2009, 00:29)
Well maddog made a topic for it a while ago. Guess you missed it.

Well, ok, I will hunt that sh*t down right now.

Neal40000
  • Neal40000

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

i saw Death Race the other night, it was on at about 2am, so i stayed up to watch it.. i found it was amazing, the concept of the stuntman was amazing, but all the f*cking yapping they do in it is just so boring, i listened to the story line and yeah i got it, its not hard to understand women talking sh*t. but anyway thats the bad stuff out the way, the action in it was great, the camera was a cool touch (old film grain etc), the car chase at the end was just amazing also.

overall: Death Race for me - 6/10, great action, but too much yapping.

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:58 AM

Yeah man, I hate movies with dialogue.

Watched Apocalypse Now Redux last night and it reminded me how unnecessary an extended version of this classic is. Bunch of pointless added scenes and they changed the order of a bunch of scenes. Great movie but man I really wanted to watch the original cut after that.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:09 AM

^ Saw the Redux on VHS cassettes at the Goodwill, I also passed it up, for one thing, not the way to view a classic. You should see the great making of that one Heart of Darkness IIRC.

I watched the most recent thriller by directing great Barbet Schroeder. Not sure what he's been up to but he did two classic films where he employed Pink Floyd to do the soundtrack; La Vallee and More.

I watched the thriller "Single White Female".
Prior to that, on the same compiled tape (old HBO collection) "Whispers In the Dark"
the one movie I recall where Alan Alda really stretches his acting chops! It's fun to see just for the end.

Bartleby
  • Bartleby

Not Bob Marley

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

Just watched Rumble In The Bronx with a buddy of mine. This film introduced me to Jackie Chan, and I hadn't seen it since I was around 10 years old. Still enjoyed the hell out of it, it's a classic for sure. The acting is pretty weak, and the plot's ridiculous, of course, but how can you not love Jackie Chan beating the crap out of gangbangers with both fists and random props?

All in all, I enjoyed it as much as I had the first time. Great movie.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:51 PM Edited by QwertyAAA, 22 February 2009 - 07:00 PM.

user posted image

Pleasantville.

The movie is about Peter Parker and Elle Woods - as two 90s high school-age siblings - being transported to Peter's favorite TV show - a 50s black and white sitcom. As you may infer, it doesn't go over too well and the town of Pleasantville becomes more... real as a result. I won't say any more, k?

it was quite good. Anvilicious but good.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

BUUUMP.

Been to see Che: Part 2 and The International recently.

Che was more depressing than the first part, but I suppose that was always going to be a given.

The International was really good. I guess from the trailer I wasn't quite sure what to expect so it was a very pleasant surprise. It also has one of the most amazing shoot outs I've seen in a long time. Definitely check it out. Only downside was Naomi "Can't Act, Won't Act" Watts.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Bartleby @ Feb 22 2009, 04:01)
Just watched Rumble In The Bronx with a buddy of mine.

I f*cking LOVE RITB. I can watch that over, and over, and over again and it never gets old. Vintage Chan doing amazing stunt work and kicking massive amounts of ass.

I've been meaning to see Che: Part 2 for a while. I really need to get on that.

Anyway, on topic. On Tuesday I watched Gomorra with my father. It's the critically acclaimed mafia film that came out a little while ago. We were both pretty pumped for it, since the trailer we saw built it up to be really good. However, it was rather, uh, boring. Whoever made the claim seen on the trailer, that this was the best mafia movie ever made, was f*cking wrong, period. The movie just dragged, telling 3 tales that never really went anywhere. The acting was a non-issue as there was no real call for good acting, but it didn't suck is what I'm saying. All in all, pretty forgettable, I dunno. The one good story of 2 wannabe gangsters trying to come up in the world didn't go where I wanted it to at all, which just stunk. Definitely not what I wanted it to be, but not surprising at all.

yzzybones
  • yzzybones

/̵͇̿̿/̿̿ ̿ ̿

• Members

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

last movie was friday with Ice cube.i think is the 14 time i seen it,but still cool

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

I revisited Shaun of the Dead and Team America in the last couple of days. I watched Shaun of the Dead with the trivia track on so that I could pick up all the homages and references to Spaced that they put in their (Also informed me that Simon Pegg used to do breakdancing in the Safeways down the road tounge.gif ) It was a nice little insight into the film and made me appreciate the film alot more knowing these little things.

Team America was just as funny as the last time I watched it. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are absolute geniuses in my opinion and this is a perfect showcase of their wit, satire and ripping the sh*t out of those Hollywood actors who can't keep their mouths shut about Iraq and Darfur etc.

Master of Pain.
  • Master of Pain.

Somewhere I Belong

• Members

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

Pineapple Express - I like all of the Apatow movies and this one is no different although the magic of his movies lie in the dialogue and not the action towards the end of this one. As usual, many quotable lines.

Apaloosa - Just okay. I think Renee Zellweger was miscast in this one as her looks are headed south with a fury. Hoped it would be a bit more graphic for the R rating but otherwise, not a bad story.

Saw V - Meh. I pretty much like all of them but this felt lazy, almost like the writers went back and found the holes in the first four then punched them into this one. Not enough cool traps fo sho.

Heathers - Hadn't seen this for many years. I almost forgot what an odd little yarn this was. It still pretty much holds up except for some of the lingo.

Throne Of Blood - Akira Kurosawa's take on MacBeth. This movie is an automatic win simply because of Toshiro Mifune. Had he not been in it, it still would be a great movie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users