4,239 replies to this topic
Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

The_Place_Beyond_the_Pines_Poster.jpg

A film of incredible ambition. The Place Beyond The Pines is a hard movie to talk about, because it defies expectations at the core [at the very least in case you go blind, like I did] but what you have is Ryan Gosling tapping into the same underlying sense of rage and edge that made his performance in Drive so memorable, a rarely seen good performance from Eva Mendes and more consistently good work from freshly minted Oscar winner Marashallah Ali; along with some very good writing that taps into the legacy we leave behind and the longevity and consequence of our sins.

Cool chase scenes too.

• CrysisAverted, Payne Killer and Neon_Dreaming like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

I had mixed feelings about this movie, I was enjoying it until it went ahead to the future, it began to feel a bit generic them imo. I felt it was a movie that had great potential but didn't entirely fulfil it. Ryan Gosling was great in this as was Ben Mendelson, strong performances all round, if only they had a bit more screentime before skipping ahead though.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

Just saw Get Out. Really cool movie with lots of little details thrown in, that I wouldn't have noticed without them being pointed out.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Cause why not.

MV5BYmViY2M2MTYtY2MzOS00YjQ1LWIzYmEtOTBi
  • Mister Pink and Leftist Bastard like this

Hakuma
  • Hakuma

The Spirits

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:04 AM

Spirited Away is indeed one of the best cartoon movie I've ever watched.

• Mister Pink likes this

Craigsters
  • Craigsters

no, I haven't been up all night on my PC

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Before I Wake (2016)

mothman prophecies with a twist  (or meets )of ghost, ok film, but not scary

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

I figured it would be worth a shot, since the first one was hella funny, this did actually manage to be a damn good sequal!

HO00003961.jpg
  • Mukkus likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:07 PM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 10 March 2017 - 02:22 PM.

Memento_poster.jpg

Ever had a movie roll its credits and then hit instant replay? yeah, this is one of them.

Talking about Memento is a struggle without ruining what makes it so good; but what I can say is it gives us peak Christopher Nolan. A movie packed with layers upon layers, similar to The Prestige in that sense. pulling off the incredibly difficult task of truly putting you in a character's state of mind with an ingenious structure to the plot; the real star here. A story told in non linear fragments. Confusion is the name of the game with an excellent portrayal by Guy Pearce making you teeter between sympathy and wondering just how much you can trust this man's perception of reality. This is one you'll want to revisit and think about over and over and over. Possibly every ten minutes.

• Alexander, Arthur Fookin Shelby and Natasha like this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Ever had a movie roll its credits and then hit instant replay? yeah, this is one of them.
Talking about Memento is a struggle without ruining what makes it so good; but what I can say is it gives us peak Christopher Nolan. A movie packed with layers upon layers, similar to The Prestige in that sense. pulling off the incredibly difficult task of truly putting you in a character's state of mind with an ingenious structure to the plot; the real star here. A story told in non linear fragments. Confusion is the name of the game with an excellent portrayal by Guy Pearce making you teeter between sympathy and wondering just how much you can trust this man's perception of reality. This is one you'll want to revisit and think about over and over and over. Possibly every ten minutes.

This requires about 3-4 play through's in truth, it's Pulp Fiction on roids cause of the way it's done. Always kept me guessing at everypoint before eventually having a grand reveal. As you said, very Prestige in that you're never quite sure where it's going next.
  • Alexander and Leftist Bastard like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Just watched the new xXx movie and damn that was freakin horrible. The first one was kind of cool in its own way back in the day, the second one sucked ass and now this one sucks even more. This wasn't a movie, it was an overfloated egotrip compilation of Vin and his friends. Even the action scenes sucked During fights scenes they where smiling more then they were hitting one another. What a joke.

XXI
  • XXI

pretty n nasty

• Members
  • Wales
  • The Baddest Female
    Best CL Fan
    Best New Member 2015

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

movieposter.jpg

Alexander
  • Alexander

I'm just gonna pirate everything from T2

• The Yardies
  • Venezuela

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:40 AM Edited by Alexander, 12 March 2017 - 12:44 AM.

Man I loved this movie. Though I like this non-linear movies, I'm always a bit surprised.

Not going to comment a lot on this one in case someone hasn't seen it yet, but here I go:

That decision he makes at the end of the movie, thoguh it wasn't the "right" thing to do, It's something I understand, and I can't say I wouldn't have made the same choice. Very well made movie imo, as far as a backwards storytelling.

Achlys
  • Achlys

Rawr

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:57 AM

Logan, loved it.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

HungerGamesPoster.jpg

Mukkus
  • Mukkus

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:06 PM Edited by Mukkus, 15 March 2017 - 09:07 PM.

Kong the way Kong was supposed to roll. I wish studios had just left him alone until they could do him justice like this.

Well, other than the original...

• Funktipus likes this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:33 PM Edited by Leftist Bastard, 18 March 2017 - 03:37 PM.

220px-Assassination_poster.jpg

It was solid. I liked it. But ultimately was too slow.

Or at least I think that's what was going on because its kind of hard to pin point. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is an Andrew Dominik film starring Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt; i'v seen Killing Them Softly before this so I knew the two work together well and Manchester by the Sea convinced me Casey's one of the greats. Dominik's recently announced War Party [starring none other than Tom Hardy] got me to finally watch this revisionist western.

It's a beautiful film, for sure. Very few movies have a soundtrack i'd be willing to listen to independent of the movie itself, but this was one of them. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis compose a very atmospheric score befitting of the movie's tones. The fact that There Will Be Blood won over this for best cinematography is a sham IMO. Very reminiscent of Terrance Malick in a way. This is probably one of Pitt's best performances, if not THE singular best as the titular Jesse James and Casey is brilliant at playing a sort of scared, lonely outcast looking to make something out of himself.

But even with my love for all the parties involved and my love for the western genre something just didn't feel right. I want to say its the aforementioned pace but I watched Silence earlier which was definitely more arduous and didn't really have a similar problem. Things just become a bit arduous towards the second half of the film before they pick up towards the end, the last 40-50 minutes are absolutely fantastic, with one scene in particular being one of my favorites, period. But there is a long stretch before that just didn't jive with me.

Overall, I liked the film. I'm glad I watched it and maybe i'll come to appreciate it more on a rematch; definitely one all western fans should check out.

• Payne Killer and Mukkus like this

Audi
  • Audi

A N A N A

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

Just watched Scarface (1983) for the 200th or so time. Just never gets old.

• Mister Pink and Arthur Fookin Shelby like this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Because you dont't need to be a 5 year old to me amused by the Minions!

large_4zHJhBSY4kNZXfhTlmy2TzXD51M.jpg

XXI
  • XXI

pretty n nasty

• Members
  • Wales
  • The Baddest Female
    Best CL Fan
    Best New Member 2015

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

it was quite boring the second time around, meh.

2690249-ichi_the_killer_miike_02.jpg

• Mister Pink likes this

Achlys
  • Achlys

Rawr

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

I watched Kong: Skull Island, it was p awesome. Although I'm not entirely sure if I like it more than the Peter Jackson film. It has more violence and action, that's a plus sign.
Spoiler
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Radioaktivität

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:41 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 21 March 2017 - 04:34 AM.

it was quite boring the second time around, meh.

2690249-ichi_the_killer_miike_02.jpg

I've watched it a few times and really love it. It's unlike any other film, really. 

Just watched The Founder. Pretty good film about the history of McDonalds and the creation of fast-food culture. Michael Keaton stars and does a great job. 

• XXI, Mukkus and Natasha like this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

1980.jpg
  • Mister Pink likes this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Bohemian Rhapsody

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Couldn't afford missing this one.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Radioaktivität

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

7046913.3.jpg

It watched crime-drama Sonatine about a Yakuza sent out of the city of Tokyo to Okinawa to look after another clan that's having beef with another clan. But all is not what it seems. It's a good film, rated highly among fans and critics alike. It's kind of a drifts from being a gangster film to art-house drama and is quite slow paced. Don't expect action although there's a good few murders, It doesn't play out like a Hard-Boiled Hong Kong action flick or a Hollywood action flick at all. 

Definitely worth a watch, specially if you are a fan of Takeshi Kitano's work.

• XXI and Neon_Dreaming like this

Hakuma
  • Hakuma

The Spirits

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:23 AM

Wolf Children is easily the best movie I've seen in a very long time.

XXI
  • XXI

pretty n nasty

• Members
  • Wales
  • The Baddest Female
    Best CL Fan
    Best New Member 2015

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

-CHOP-

It watched crime-drama Sonatine about a Yakuza sent out of the city of Tokyo to Okinawa to look after another clan that's having beef with another clan. But all is not what it seems. It's a good film, rated highly among fans and critics alike. It's kind of a drifts from being a gangster film to art-house drama and is quite slow paced. Don't expect action although there's a good few murders, It doesn't play out like a Hard-Boiled Hong Kong action flick or a Hollywood action flick at all. 

Definitely worth a watch, specially if you are a fan of Takeshi Kitano's work.

I'm going to give this a watch, I don't think I've been let down by Kitano's work so far.

• Mister Pink and Natasha like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Radioaktivität

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:14 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 23 March 2017 - 06:15 PM.

I hope you enjoy it. It's not most exhilarating but good film. Yeah, I'm actually going to go through more of his work. I've seen a few films over the years but can't really remember which ones except for Battle Royal and Violent Cop and Zatoichi which I seen in the cinema when I was a teenager.  Thinking of watching Hanna-Bi later.

Last night I watched Under The Skin for the second time. I really love that film. I'm a fan of Jonathan Glazer's Sexy Beast too. What to say about this film? It's an amazing visual piece about an Alien that arrives in Scotland and appears to hunt for men. There's little diagloue as the narritive is told to you mostly by visual action. Some people disliked it because they thought there was no plot or that it's boring. Maybe for a casual film fan but for a season film fan, it's a great film to ponder over. Nothing is wasted. When you watch films with the mentality that everything there is for reason. Everything has purpose, then you can start decoding what the filmmaker is trying to say to us. 

under-the-skin-quad.jpg

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:37 PM

MV5BZTJiNGM2NjItNDRiYy00ZjY0LTgwNTItZDBm

M. Night made a good movie y'all! with a good twist!

Split features a power house of a performance by James McAvoy as a man with 23 distinct personalities, trying to summon a monstrous 24th. A very thrilling, suspenseful movie filled with nuance and a twist that'll absolutely blow your mind once it registers. Some masterful use of lighting and the camera here as well. If you appreciate some of Shymalan's classics [watch Unbreakable and Sith Sense before this] or just a want a good thriller, this is for you.

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

John Wick chapter 2...
Bam bam bam....shot in the face shot in the face shot in the face....bam bam....

Arthur Fookin Shelby
  • Arthur Fookin Shelby

Cave Canem

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:11 PM Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby, 26 March 2017 - 05:12 PM.

Kill the Irishman, 2011

WQcLcpQ.jpg

An underrated hidden gem. I hadn't heard of it until coming across it on Netflix. It tells the tale of Danny Greene, an Irish worker turned crooked turned Union Boss turned mobster. 

Sure it follows the usual gangster flick cliches, but what's wrong with that?

The acting was top from everyone involved with Ray Stevenson (Danny Greene) doing a stellar performance.

It's well worth a watch and not many films star Christopher Walken, Val Kilmer, and Vinnie Jones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users