Photo

Last Movie You've Seen

2,607 replies to this topic
papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

I feel a new topic is needed because posts like this one keep happening.

Discussion is encouraged, and number ratings are as good as banned. Number ratings tell people nothing about the film.

Last page of the old topic for those that might want to carry on discussions.

Post away. smile.gif

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (Mike Tequeli @ Feb 11 2009, 21:16)
QUOTE (Ottae @ Feb 10 2009, 23:23)
QUOTE (Slamman @ Feb 8 2009, 22:09)
QUOTE (makeshyft @ Feb 8 2009, 16:46)
I got pretty hard-ass drunk last night and rewatched Walk the Line. No matter how many times I see it, I am still blown away. It really is one of my favourite films, and speaks to me on a very personal level. My own relationship reminds me of the one shared by Johnny Cash and June Carter. Some kind of unspoken bond, tried at times by the lure of addiction. It's a great story, and Phoenix and Witherspoon really communicate their love perfectly.

There is one performance in the film that really brings a smile to my face, though, and that is Waylon Payne's turn as Jerry Lee Lewis. The guy captures the essence of Lewis so perfectly, that it is beyond belief. When he first appears, it's almost like you're seeing a young Jerry Lee himself on-screen.

God gave us a great big apple, see, and He said don't touch it. He didn't say touch it once in a while; He didn't say take a nibble when you're hungry; He said don't touch it! Don't think about touchin'it, don't sing about touchin' it, don't think about singin' about touchin' it!

How about "WALK HARD" ...The Dewey Cox story?
I keep debating on getting it, mostly as a rental. I saw Step Brothers and was pretty much in stitches, and if Will Ferrell were in it, I'd pretty much pick it up.

I think Step Brothers and Get Smart are the better comedies. I rented Burn After Reading as well, and though I won't complain the humor is FAR too dry, it is not in the same league as Get Smart... I never thought I'd say that, but one made me really laugh, where the other one I probably grinned more.

Haven't seen Get Smart, but I bloody loved Burn After Reading. I consider my humour dry enough to fine it hysterical anyway. I'm gonna get it on DVD this week.

Picked up 12 Monkeys and Dogma last Saturday (The latter I've seen before), so I'll probably watch 12 Monkeys first then rewatch Dogma, which I love.

I highly recommend 12 monkeys. It is much smarter a film then I expected when I was watching it on cable at 1 in the morning. The story arc as a whole is genius.

Just watched it now, really enjoyed it. I love how you never knew where the plot was going, or what the f*ck was going off. Not because it was crap, but because no one knew what was happening. Then it all comes together at the end. Class.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

Let me just say, Glad you didn't nix this topic, because I think besides recommending NEW films, old ones get neglected in often cases...many that deserve a viewing, and are not given the attention.

I'm watching my special edition of Basic Instinct again, it's so good, I am truly sad the sequel tanked. With more great actors, could it have been saved?!?

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

user posted image

Watched King of New York for the first time yesterday night on DVD. I've had access to it for years, but was never really interested. Don't know why I waited so long, it was fantastic. A gritty, heavy-handed crime boss Christopher Walken? What's not to like? This movie rocked the sh*t, and the cast was awesome. Larry Fishburne, David Caruso, Wesley Snipes, and a slew of cameos including Steve Buschemi. Released in 1990, it was New Jack City before New Jack City. The music, the language, the styles, damn it was old school. And Walken danced, pfff, that made the movie right there. Loved the story of newly-released Frank White (Walken) reclaiming the city in the most bloodiest of fashions. He wasn't an armchair general either which is what made his character so good. He did his own dirty work, and racked up quite the body count. Larry Fishburne as his hilarious and charismatic personal shooter was icing on the cake. And the acting was real good, by Walken and the actor who played the elder cop, Bishop. The ending of the film was just right for me. Very Man on Fire-esque which was right up my alley as I felt, in some semblance, Frank won.

Excellent. Will be thinking about this movie for the next week.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

user posted image

The Prestige.

The most awesome movie of 2006.
Not the best, probably.
But the most awesome.
The movie itself is impossible to talk about without spoiling crucial details.
It starts in the very beginning of the 20th century
and it's about two stage magicians
and it ends with a philosophical twist about
f*cking ethics of bioengineering.
This is at least worth renting, if not buying.

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

Yeah, I f*cking loved the Prestige. Kept me guessing all the way through. Bale's on-screen presence kept me so entertained, as did Caine's and Jackman's. Although the
whole idea and ending was a little disappointing, I was satisfied by it. Great film icon14.gif

I watched Napoleon Dynamite for the first time last night. It's not the funniest comedy ever, it had it's odd laugh out loud moments, but I've heard it takes a second viewing to appreciate it. I enjoyed it anyway.

A mate lent Hard Candy ages ago and haven't got round to watching it yet, so I think I'll finally watch it tonight.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

^Watched it recently. Other than it dragging on a bit, and therefore being able to work out certain details, it was very good. Like you said not really able to discuss certain things. Was surprised when thingy showed up though, you know, whatsisface.

Last thing I watched was Let The Right One In, Swedish film..theres a remake in 2010. Cant say enough good things about this film..but dont really want to say anything and possibly spoil it for people. Has stayed with me for days since watching though..sweet, sinister, uplifting..slightly disturbing. Its brilliant.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Dooo it.

EDIT: f*ck you, OH NO. That was meant for Ottae. mad.gif

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Feb 13 2009, 00:24)
Dooo it.

Yeah well mine was meant for Qwerty, goddamit.

Cant you get this place in order or summat tounge.gif

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:54 AM Edited by QwertyAAA, 13 February 2009 - 03:12 AM.

QUOTE (OH NO @ Feb 13 2009, 00:29)
QUOTE (papanesta @ Feb 13 2009, 00:24)
Dooo it.

Yeah well mine was meant for Qwerty, goddamit.

Cant you get this place in order or summat tounge.gif

Are you talking about Tesla's Wonderful Surprising Steampunk Lighting Machine of Wonders?

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:36 AM

The Prestige is my absolute favourite film. I love everything about it, and never tire of watching it.

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (Ottae @ Feb 13 2009, 00:21)
I watched Napoleon Dynamite for the first time last night. It's not the funniest comedy ever, it had it's odd laugh out loud moments, but I've heard it takes a second viewing to appreciate it. I enjoyed it anyway.

Yeah, I didn't laugh as much as I wanted to the first time I saw it. But after watching it again, it's one of my favourite films.

But anyway, I watched Anchorman last night. Steve Carell is hilarious in this film, so is Will Ferrell. Really great film. But the best film I watched yesterday was Pulp Fiction. I hadn't watched it for a while, I realised who much I love the film. A real must-see film.
"You know what they call a quater pounder in France?"
"What?"
"A Royale with Cheese."

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Chunk @ Feb 13 2009, 20:43)
But the best film I watched yesterday was Pulp Fiction. I hadn't watched it for a while, I realised who much I love the film. A real must-see film.

I completely agree. Tarantino had a great rhythm at the start of his career which went flat after Jackie Brown. He was so fresh at the start, and then became a parody of himself.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

I'm taking a break from Police Acadamy (1) and then I will watch on DVD; The Bros Grimm
Talladega Nights, MI 3 (Mission Impossible 3) and The Bourne Ultimatum.

All of those were deemed worthy of purchase, MI3 more so because I have the others and Brothers Grimm because it was a Goodwill find! hahaha
Terry Gilliam directed so it really can't be bad.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

The original Ocean's Eleven is on TV, and I have to say that it's a real treat for a rainy Saturday afternoon. Frank Sinatra outshines George Clooney in every way.

I love the Rat Pack.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:40 AM

I'd love to pack your rat.

I went to see the new Friday The 13th today. It was amusing enough, too many fake boobs, though.

I mean, if we're supposed to believe they are young, why have two of the three naked girls got artificial dirty pillows!?

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:43 AM

Ive just seen Silent Hill, pretty good movie. Better than the Resident Evil adaptations.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Feb 14 2009, 13:40)
I'd love to pack your rat.

wow.gif

This is clearly a sexy situation.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:47 AM Edited by rubregg, 14 February 2009 - 07:56 AM.

I got to see a few things at our annual film festival, so let me mention some new stuff worth looking out for.

Mary and Max
My personal highlight. Masterfully done stop-motion animation without a single digital image, mainly presented as a hilarious comedy yet telling a serious story about alienation and friendship.

In the Loop
Armando Iannucci's first feature-length film, a highly entertaining political satire/farce about what could have gone on behind closed doors in political commitees before the Iraq war started. Makes you wonder, while laughing your arse off, how politicians get anything at all actually done if even the tiniest bit of this were true. It also makes you cringe upon realizing that some bits of it could, actually, very well be true...

Trilogy II - The Dust of Time
The new film by one of my all-time favourite directors Theo Angelopoulos. You'll have to be in the arthouse mood for this one but if you enjoy mesmerising cinematography and masterfully done long shots and are not afraid of symbolism and multilayered storytelling, you might enjoy it as much as I did.

Butterfly Effect: Revelation
I like my occasional late-night trashy horror flick, so I went to see this one. As it is with sequels, I had zero expectations. And was pleasantly surprised. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but if you like the genre you might find it quite entertaining.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

Those sound like some pretty solid recommendations - thanks for the heads up. I particularly like the sound of Mary and Max. It's so refreshing to see animated films that don't rely on CGI.

rubregg
  • rubregg

brainslug

• Members

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Feb 14 2009, 08:50)
I particularly like the sound of Mary and Max. It's so refreshing to see animated films that don't rely on CGI.

Absolutely, same here.
I just clicked around a bit and found a page with a trailer and some clips.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

I'll definitely be watching that - it looks funky as hell! Thanks for sharing the link.

Groovy
  • Groovy

General

• The Connection

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Just got back from Friday the 13th. Holy sh*t, there were seriously Dark Knight numbers at the theater tonight, if it was nuts just at my theater, this movie is gonne be HUGE. Movie was pretty cool too, better than most of the slasher remakes I've seen. It seemed to be efective in the scare department, people were jumping all around, and Jason was a badass rambo motherf*cker, he ment business, what with the running around and whatnot.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Feds

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Groovy @ Feb 14 2009, 04:02)
Just got back from Friday the 13th. Holy sh*t, there were seriously Dark Knight numbers at the theater tonight, if it was nuts just at my theater, this movie is gonne be HUGE. Movie was pretty cool too, better than most of the slasher remakes I've seen. It seemed to be efective in the scare department, people were jumping all around, and Jason was a badass rambo motherf*cker, he ment business, what with the running around and whatnot.

Hmm. I thought it would be major suckage, since typically most remakes do suck. And some girl in my class showed up late today because she went to the midnight showing, and said that she was planning on going camping this summer with her friends, but she's now having second thoughts.

I'll check it out. The comparison of Jason and Rambo vaguely intrigued me. Apart from Taken, there's really nothing else out right now that I'm interested in. I'm eagerly waiting for Watchmen next month though.

sh*t, I'm rambling like Slamman.

Groovy
  • Groovy

General

• The Connection

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

And by Rambo, I mean Jason had his sh*t together, he wasen't just a waterhead with a mommy complex. Well, I guess he was, but the nigga was crafty.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Feds

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (Groovy @ Feb 14 2009, 04:50)
And by Rambo, I mean Jason had his sh*t together, he wasen't just a waterhead with a mommy complex. Well, I guess he was, but the nigga was crafty.

That actually makes it a bit more interesting to me. To sum it up, he's a crazily f*cked up, smart, brutish motherf*cker.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (Groovy @ Feb 14 2009, 09:02)

Yeah, we were at an afternoon showing and it was packed. The 9.30 showing had already sold out, and the one inbetween was Limited.

There were girls screaming in the cinema and whatnot, I just thought the death were too predictable. confused.gif

But yeah, it was cool that they managed to incorporate the original first three films into one. Also that they kept certain things from them, such as Jason running, and discovering the mask. And the end leads straight into the inevitable sequel, of course.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Feb 14 2009, 09:48)
[
sh*t, I'm rambling like Slamman.

I'm a Ramblin' man

haha
Nuthin wrong with goin' on at length about something, it gets the information or opinion or idea out there for others, which is why I like the Nets.

I was GOING to watch a tape I got of the Eiger Sanction but sadly found it taped over with a copy of Beverly Hills Cop from DVD. Man am I pissed right now! I wanted to see CLINT not EDDIE! ARGH!

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Feb 14 2009, 23:39)
QUOTE (Groovy @ Feb 14 2009, 09:02)

Yeah, we were at an afternoon showing and it was packed. The 9.30 showing had already sold out, and the one inbetween was Limited.

There were girls screaming in the cinema and whatnot, I just thought the death were too predictable. confused.gif

But yeah, it was cool that they managed to incorporate the original first three films into one. Also that they kept certain things from them, such as Jason running, and discovering the mask. And the end leads straight into the inevitable sequel, of course.

All it needs now is a Crispin Glover dance and I am there. I'm really surprised you guys liked it I thought it was going to be god awful but now I might have to check it out.

Kept switching between Beverly Hills Cop and The Godfather on my break today. Both are great movies. I just can't get enough of that damn synth score.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:10 AM

^ That's funny we were both watching BHC! I can't stop watching it once I start. Doesn't hurt to have Glenn Frey's best solo song kicking it all off either!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users