Photo

Green Day

271 replies to this topic
Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:28 PM Edited by Vanilla Shake, 12 February 2009 - 12:11 AM.

user posted image
Release Date: May 2009

The album will consist of 3 acts.

Act 1: Heroes and Cons

-1. 21st Century Breakdown
-2. Know Your Enemy
-3. Viva la Gloria
-4. Before the Lobotomy
-5. Christian's Inferno
-6. Last Night on Earth

Act 2: Charlatans and Saints

-7. March of the Dogs

Act 3: Horseshoes and Handgrenades

-16. Goliath

Other confirmed tracks:
-Restless Heart Syndrome
-21 Guns

According to a few magazine previews, they drew a lot of influence from The Beatles and other artists prominent throughout the late-'60s/early-'70s. I'm not a big fan of the album artwork, as it seems a bit too "My Chemical Romance-ish", but meh. As long as the music is good. And I hope it's a bit of a departure from American Idiot. It's also being produced by Butch Vig, who's produced albums by The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, etc.

Here is a preview of one of the new songs.

Personally, I'm stoked.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

user posted image

At least I wasn't the only one who noticed the similarities.

I've never been a huge fan of Green Day. Though I was quite fond of the work they did under the name "Foxboro Hottubs." If this albums is any thing like that, then I can see it being at least half-decent.

As for American Idiot: It wasn't necessarily a "bad" album, but it was over hyped to unbelievable proportions.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:30 PM

I think that album art looks pretty kool. I just hope this album isn't so political, know what I mean?

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Feb 10 2009, 17:30)
I just hope this album isn't so political, know what I mean?

I heard it's supposed to delve more into more personal stuff, along with blasting religious fanatics.

Statutory Ray
  • Statutory Ray

I'm a New World Samurai, and a Redneck Nonetheless

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:14 AM

If the preview is anything to go by, you might get a third chord sometime in the third act.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:40 AM

So they've moved on from Uncle Sam to religious zealots?

This could be interesting.

Lochie_old
  • Lochie_old

Fudging Boring Idiots

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:05 AM

I'm really not sure what to expect from Green Day anymore.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

Um, is there no better preview than that? It was possibly the most boring piece of audio I have ever heard. Don't get me wrong, I liked Green Day in the mid-90s, but if that is an indication of what is going to be on the album, then I'll pass on it. I'm sure there'll be more than that, but you need to tease audiences into wanting to hear more, and if I hear those two chords played in succession one more time I'm likely to blow my head off.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Feb 11 2009, 01:12)
Um, is there no better preview than that? It was possibly the most boring piece of audio I have ever heard. Don't get me wrong, I liked Green Day in the mid-90s, but if that is an indication of what is going to be on the album, then I'll pass on it. I'm sure there'll be more than that, but you need to tease audiences into wanting to hear more, and if I hear those two chords played in succession one more time I'm likely to blow my head off.

It's heard automatically when you visit their official website, and somebody extracted it. I think it's actually just the beginning of a song, only looped. It makes a bit of sense to me, since the album is still 3 months away, they probably wouldn't release a track this early. The name and release date were just announced this past Sunday, so the fact that they've also released the album artwork surprises me a bit. Maybe because it's been just about 5 years since their last real album.

I'm hoping for the first single to be released sometime next month, that way I can get a real feel for the album and decide whether or not I should raise or lower my expectations. I hope it's more like their old stuff, but that seems unlikely to me since American Idiot was their highest selling album since their first mainstream album, Dookie, which was released in '94. So that was a whole ten years of declining sales with each record that was released. If they were to make the album similar to their past work they might lose the fanbase gained from American Idiot, which to be quite honest wouldn't bother me that much. The majority of those people didn't even know Green Day was a band before it came out.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Feb 11 2009, 16:49)
It's heard automatically when you visit their official website, and somebody extracted it. I think it's actually just the beginning of a song, only looped. It makes a bit of sense to me, since the album is still 3 months away, they probably wouldn't release a track this early.

No, I know. I wasn't having a go at you, but rather the marketing department, or record company, or whoever it was that decided that was the grab they were going to use. I'm sure they could have found something a little more enticing to loop, as that particular grab doesn't make me want to listen to the album at all.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (makeshyft @ Feb 11 2009, 04:43)
QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Feb 11 2009, 16:49)
It's heard automatically when you visit their official website, and somebody extracted it. I think it's actually just the beginning of a song, only looped. It makes a bit of sense to me, since the album is still 3 months away, they probably wouldn't release a track this early.

No, I know. I wasn't having a go at you, but rather the marketing department, or record company, or whoever it was that decided that was the grab they were going to use. I'm sure they could have found something a little more enticing to loop, as that particular grab doesn't make me want to listen to the album at all.

Oh I know you weren't having a go at me. Sorry if I made it seem that way. I was just throwing my opinion on what they did out there. I would have preferred a more interesting clip to grab my attention as well, but for a lot of fans, just hearing a snippet of new material is a huge issue.

I've heard some stuff about it being released on the first Tuesday of May, which would be the 4th, so if that's true then I'd expect a single to be released as early as next month.

ToyMachine
  • ToyMachine

Scum.

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

Why are you excited about bum-ass music targeted at girls ages 13-17?

andysniper
  • andysniper

take to the skies

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

i havent really liked green day since american idiot
and this has just made me dislike them even more
the album art looks A LOT like mcr
that so called "preview" is just terrible
and the whole divided into three acts just to me seems like theyre trying to be all 'epic' (i couldnt think of a better word to desribe it)
i just wish they would go back to thier roots
they seem to think that theyre all high and mighty now

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

If this is anything like FH, I'll be satisfied, it was so refreshing to hear that after American Idiot. It was a new direction that didn't do them so well with an older audience, though it's understandable for them to look for a new demographic. They're old men.

ToyMachine
  • ToyMachine

Scum.

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (andysniper @ Feb 11 2009, 14:23)

I'm sorry to sh*t this topic even more, but are you f*cking retarded, guy?

Mike Tequeli
  • Mike Tequeli

American non-Voter at Heart

• The Connection

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Statutory Ray @ Feb 11 2009, 01:14)
If the preview is anything to go by, you might get a third chord sometime in the third act.

/Thread?

It seems like Greenday is trying really hard to be deep, it probably won't work out.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (ToyMachine @ Feb 11 2009, 07:53)

Well, let's just say that they happen to be my favorite band. I'll leave it at that before I start hurling "f*cks" into the conversation.

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Because it's the music we like. If you don't like our opinions, either make a decent argument about it, or just get lost.

I am really looking forward to it's release, I haven't been listening to Green Day so much recently, I think this album could re-kindle my fondness for them smile.gif . I think it's time to download Warning again tounge.gif .

andysniper
  • andysniper

take to the skies

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:05 PM Edited by andysniper, 14 February 2009 - 03:48 PM.

QUOTE (ToyMachine @ Feb 11 2009, 20:07)
QUOTE (andysniper @ Feb 11 2009, 14:23)

I'm sorry to sh*t this topic even more, but are you f*cking retarded, guy?

how does that make me "f*cking retarded"?

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:15 AM

Rolling Stone has an article up in which they preview 6 of the confirmed 16 songs.

Green Day’s 21st Century Breakdown won’t land in stores until May, but Rolling Stone scored an early listen to six tracks this afternoon — and confirmed that the trio will kick off a massive world tour of indoor arenas in July. A full in-the-studio report by David Fricke will hit newsstands in our next issue, but here’s a sneak peek at what Billie Joe Armstrong, Tre Cool and Mike Dirnt have been cooking up with legendary producer Butch Vig at the same California studio they recorded the Grammy-winning American Idiot, Warning, Insomniac and Dookie.

As previously reported, the 16-track album is broken into three acts — Heroes and Cons, Charlatans and Saints, and Horseshoes and Handgrenades — and Dirnt told AP magazine that the songs “speak to each other the way the songs on [Bruce Springsteen’s] Born to Run speak to each other. I don’t know if you’d call it a ‘concept album,’ but there’s a thread that connects everything.” The songs are defiant, but also defiantly hopeful, referencing the unsettled political climate as well as more personal and generational turmoils. Its blend of claustrophobia and freedom is well illustrated by the album’s cover art, which depicts a tight shot of a young couple kissing against a graffiti-covered wall.

The title track quickly kicks into a familiar Green Day three-chord blast, but morphs into multiple movements like some of the more rock-opera-heavy numbers on American Idiot. “My generation is zero/I never made it as a working class hero,” Armstrong sings, making a reference to the John Lennon track the band covered in 2007. After a big drum breakdown, the song winds into a slower “Bohemian Rhapsody” moment. By contrast, “Know Your Enemy” is a straight-ahead rock song with a chanty “oh-way-oh-way” refrain. Opening powerfully like an AC/DC track, Cool drums furiously as Armstrong sings “Silence is the enemy so give me revolution.”

“Before the Lobotomy” is one of a handful of Breakdown tracks where Armstrong breaks into an uncharacteristically sweet singing voice and voyages into his limber upper register. Lyrics are answered by darts of guitar, and the band inserts pauses and breathing room between the music and vocals. At first Armstrong sings of “dreaming of another place and time where my family are from” but as the song progresses he’s pointing a finger at “Charlatans of lost memories like the end of the century.”

“March of the Dogs” is the most punky and overtly political of the six tracks. Built on big punches of guitar and classic shout and response vocals, Armstrong spits, “I want to know who’s allowed to breed/All the dogs who never learned to read/Missionaries, politicians/And the cops of a new religion.” It’s a biting indictment of contemporary religion that starts intense and never lets up, even for a marching-drum bridge.

Armstrong’s serene vocals reappear on the mid-tempo rocker “Restless Heart Syndrome.” Returning to the line “know your enemy,” Billie Joe advises, “Know what ails you/impales you… you’re a victim of the system.” The track takes a dramatic kick into its loud section, and its neat four-chord structure turns on a minor note. And “21 Guns” has a dash of “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” to it — the track opens slowly with acoustic guitar, adding piano and other instruments until it opens up into a big, lush, super-melodic chorus. “Lay down your arms, give up the fight,” Armstrong croons. “Throw up your arms into the sky, you and I.” After a quick guitar solo and what sounds like a few pretty lines of harmonium, the song concludes with a hopeful finality.

Linkage

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:15 AM Edited by SaintJimmy, 12 February 2009 - 08:20 AM.

f*ck yes f*ck yes f*ck yes. I just read about this and was going to post the topic.
I'm not going to dwelve on my opinions on green day - but f*ck yes.

aRGHH WTF WAS WITH THAT sh*tTY PREVIEW THAT WAS TERRIBLE I WAS sh*tTING MY PANTS WAITING FOR SOMETHING GAWD DAMNIT
wow i'm really stoked right now.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Feb 12 2009, 03:15)
f*ck yes f*ck yes f*ck yes. I just read about this and was going to post the topic.

I had a feeling you'd be psyched about this, seeing as how your username is St. Jimmy. sly.gif

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Feb 12 2009, 18:20)

I had a feeling you'd be psyched about this, seeing as how your username is St. Jimmy. sly.gif

Vanilla Shake I love you man

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:39 AM Edited by Vanilla Shake, 13 February 2009 - 06:55 AM.

QUOTE (SaintJimmy @ Feb 12 2009, 03:21)
QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Feb 12 2009, 18:20)

Vanilla Shake I love you man

Uh, thanks. I'm just another excited fan like yourself, so no need for any special recognition or praise.

EDIT: MTV has actually covered music news for once. Shocker, eh? They too previewed 6 tunes.

How does one follow up a multimillion-selling, world-uniting, career-rejuvenating, award-winning, status-sealing album? Well, if you're Green Day, you do it with hooks, ambition and sheer bombast.

On Wednesday night, MTV News heard six tracks from 21st Century Breakdown, GD's follow-up to 2005's landmark American Idiot, due out in May. And though the songs were rough mixes (frontman Billie Joe Armstrong and producer Butch Vig did said mixing, we were informed), the songs packed a wallop — both sonically and lyrically — which is proof that, rather than hide from the prospect of trying to match Idiot's success, Green Day intend to face it head on.

The title track — a snippet of which can currently be heard on the band's official site — opens with keening acoustic strums and a bright organ line, recalling the first measures of the Who's "Baba O'Riley." Armstrong's voice is heard next, bleating "My generation is zero/ Never made it as a working class hero" (echoing their 2007 cover of John Lennon's "Working Class Hero"), then the song takes off on a multi-sectional sprint, featuring big, clean guitar chords (played windmill-style, à la Pete Townshend, one imagines) one minute, cacophonous drum breakdowns the next — not to mention a "We Are the Champions"-style interlude. Armstrong yelps couplets like, "Video games of the towers' fall/ Homeland Security can kill us all," before the whole song comes crashing to a close with him singing, "Oh dream, America, dream ... / Oh, scream, America, scream." Needless to say, it's a lot packed into just five minutes and change.

"Know Your Enemy" was the next song, a genuine fist-pumper that starts with pounding drums and builds on some muscle chords. "Violence is an energy/ Against the enemy," Armstrong yells, as the track works its way through various airtight stops and starts.

"Before the Lobotomy" begins with some carefully picked acoustic guitar, as Armstrong ruminates on his past ("Dreaming, I was only dreaming/ Of another place and time where my family's from") and explores a newly discovered upper register. It's all very pretty, but eventually falls away, only to come pounding back with huge drums and more of those windmill guitars, as Armstrong growls about "whiskey shots and cheap cigarettes." It's an earful, to be certain.

"March of the Dogs" kicks off with a swaggering guitar line, with Armstrong mentioning "sacrificial suicides." It then showcases Mike Dirnt's walking bassline, augmented with some handclaps. It builds to some interlocking guitars, then stop-starts as Armstrong whispers (Zack de la Rocha-style), "Don't test me ... second guess me ... protest me." Then the song sprints out the door with a guitar section reminiscent of Dick Dale's "Misirlou." All in less than four-and-a-half minutes.

"Restless Heart Syndrome" starts with piano, and Armstrong sings "I've got a really bad disease/ It's got me begging on my hands and knees." He keeps going — again reaching that upper register — as the song picks up a swing tempo, eventually interrupted by a buzz-saw guitar section and some lock-step bass and drums. "21 Guns" — which, if it's not Breakdown's final song, really ought to be — is a cell-phones-in-the-air anthem, starting with more sharply strummed acoustic guitars. It builds on a piano line to the chorus, which has Armstrong bleating, "One, 21 guns, lay down your arms/ Give up the fight ... / One, 21 guns/ Throw up your arms into the sky/ You and I," as the rest of the band backs him with harmonized, "Aaaah-aaaahs." The song ends with piano and ringing feedback.

Green Day cover a lot of ground, and they do it with a style and swagger that's admirable, especially given all the expectations weighing on them this time around. Taking cues from classic rock, going for the massive once again, they're not backing down from the fight. Apparently, Breakdown will feature 16 songs. It's not known whether they all pack as much punch as the ones we heard last night, but we can't wait to find out.

Linkarino

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

March of the Dogs interests me the most out of all those songs.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake @ Feb 13 2009, 13:37)
March of the Dogs interests me the most out of all those songs.

I hear that. It sounds like once again Green Day are going for something different and hats off to them. I don't mind Green Day, though I can't take them too seriously as to me it's just music to nod my head to while I do the hoovering or whatever. With this, it's like Foxboro Hot Tubs got into a washing machine with American Idiot. I'll have to try it.

springsteen_fan
  • springsteen_fan

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

Anyone have that song snippet?

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (springsteen_fan @ Feb 13 2009, 14:30)
Anyone have that song snippet?

It's in the opening post. wink.gif

Here is another preview, however this one contains some more information on their upcoming world tour.

Five years after "American Idiot" took Green Day to new heights of superstardom, the group is nearly finished with its next album, "21st Century Breakdown." Billboard previewed six songs from the project, due in May from Warner Bros.

The Butch Vig-produced "21st Century Breakdown" is split into three acts: "Heroes and Cons," "Charlatans & Saints" and "Horseshoes & Handgrenades." While not as overtly political as "American Idiot," the material sampled by Billboard is chock full of social commentary about religion, war and love.

The album blasts off with its title track, an ultra-melodic midtempo rocker with Green Day's familiar three-chord verses and Billie Joe Armstrong's summation of society: "My generation is zero / I'd never make it as a working class hero."

The song then moves it way through a Who-style breakdown with sustained guitar blasts and thumping drums, before settling on a slower, classic rock-inspired outtro.

The next song, "Know Your Enemy" is a similarly sturdy, catchy rock cut demanding "revolution," while "Before the Lobotomy" begins as an acoustic wash before shifting into a heavy three-chord riff and lyrics dripping with antipathy: "I'm not stoned / I'm just f*cked up."

"March of the Dogs" finds Green Day at its most structurally complex, weaving numerous short different ideas into a grand final product. Atop vicious riffing, this screed appears to compare religion to "a dog that's been sodomized," and Armstrong also proclaims, "the sirens of decay will infiltrate the faith fanatic."

"Restless Heart Syndrome" trots out a Green Day first: Armstrong singing in falsetto. What begins as a midtempo, piano-driven rock tune morphs around the three-minute mark into a crunchy, descending four-chord progression that should shake the rafters live.

The last song previewed by Billboard, "21 Guns," also blends acoustic strumming with thicker choruses and a chiming, atmospheric passage.

Green Day will begin a North American arena tour in early July, to be followed by shows in Europe. In 2010, the band will hit Japan, Southeast Asia and South America before returning for more North American shows.

Link

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

Ah, c'mon guys, there's bad music with camp value, then there's just plain bad music.

For example, Fall Out Boy, Soulja Boy, and pretty much every song that ends in BOY (like Helsinki City Boy) or BOY band (holy sh*t I'm not kidding you, I didn't notice this pattern until now tounge.gif ) have good camp value.

Green Day really doesn't.

(it's just awesome?)

Nah, just kidding, but I'm surprised to see people who actually listen to anything played on MTV.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (nlitement @ Feb 14 2009, 20:56)
Nah, just kidding, but I'm surprised to see people who actually listen to anything played on MTV.

Dude it's been 10 years since MTV played any music.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users