27 replies to this topic
EnchantedX360
  • EnchantedX360

You're welcome

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

I like that!

Source

Displaying the same kind of "throw that money away" attitude that won them exclusivity for the Grand Theft Auto IV expansions, Microsoft have announced that Xbox Live Gold will soon go (sort of) free.

Between February 17 and February 22, anybody playing either Grand Theft Auto IV or its upcoming expansion, The Lost & The Damned, will be able to play free of charge. No Gold subscription necessary. But only those two titles! No sneaking in a free game of Gears or Halo.

It's not often Microsoft are this charitable with their online service, so you cheapskates had better keep those five days in your schedule open, make the most of it.

Mae King Fuch
  • Mae King Fuch

retro-active abortion doctor.

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

wow!that was unexpected! biggrin.gif cookie.gif to you

Mafioso86
  • Mafioso86

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

so if i want to download TLAD I just need to hook my xbox up to the web and that's it??? No need for a gold account?? If that's true it's awesome because I've been scrambling to put together money and get my xbox hooked up to the web to do this. If I can just pull it into the other room, unplug the computer, plug in the xbox, download it, and then put it back in my room (not to mention spend the money on the gold account)... that would be so much easier.

EnchantedX360
  • EnchantedX360

You're welcome

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (Mafioso86 @ Feb 10 2009, 12:30)
so if i want to download TLAD I just need to hook my xbox up to the web and that's it??? No need for a gold account?? If that's true it's awesome because I've been scrambling to put together money and get my xbox hooked up to the web to do this. If I can just pull it into the other room, unplug the computer, plug in the xbox, download it, and then put it back in my room (not to mention spend the money on the gold account)... that would be so much easier.

You don't need Live Gold to download the DLC, just the points...

This allows you to play GTA IV or TL&D for free (as in multiplayer) for 5 days! No Gold required.

Rick234
  • Rick234

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

Sweet! A chance to check out multiplayer for free, haven't played before so will most probably spend the 5 days getting my ass kicked.
You don't have to give your credit card details for a silver membership do you?

Ravenwood
  • Ravenwood

Post-apocalyptic mercenary

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

F*cking excellent. icon14.gif

i like coffee enemas
  • i like coffee enemas

The Cap'n! Shooting From The Hip Since '08

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

Awesome. f*cking awesome! Five days is all I need. My LIVE runs out on the 18th.That gives me 6 days to play multiplayer. Awe-some.

mattymcs
  • mattymcs

For sho'

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Rick234 @ Feb 10 2009, 12:50)
Sweet! A chance to check out multiplayer for free, haven't played before so will most probably spend the 5 days getting my ass kicked.

You need a silver membership to access live full stop.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Rick234 @ Feb 10 2009, 12:50)

Get gold dude, it`s freakin ace.

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Mafioso86 @ Feb 10 2009, 04:30)

I think you're a bit confused. To purchase TLAD, you need an internet connection first. An internet connection to the Live service is free. That's called the Silver account.
The difference between the Silver account and the Gold account is multiplayer gaming online, and the ability to download demos a few days in advance.
The offer the OP posted is to play multiplayer games for free, only for those 5 days.
You don't need money to hook your 360 online. But you need money to play online with other players. You'll still need $20 to purchase tLAD though.

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

XABLAU!

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

F*CK YEAH, I'll be able to score some achievements for GTAIV! biggrin.gif

i like coffee enemas
  • i like coffee enemas

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:58 PM Edited by leelee862, 10 February 2009 - 04:01 PM.

So to summarise; for those 5 days, you don't NEED to purchase a gold or silver account. Microsoft are in a sense, giving us all 5 days worth of gold for free anyway. For those 5 days you'll be able to play online on multiplayer for free on either GTA IV or TLAD but you'll still NEED to purchase TLAD beforehand. You'll also need GTA IV to be able to play TLAD.

Correct?

buffalosoulj4h20
  • buffalosoulj4h20

Teabaggin' the Teabaggers

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

this is good business stragety, this will definitely get customers, i just wish a certain company was this smart...

the_regular_guy
  • the_regular_guy

fanboy hater

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (leelee862 @ Feb 10 2009, 16:58)
So to summarise; for those 5 days, you don't NEED to purchase a gold or silver account. Microsoft are in a sense, giving us all 5 days worth of gold for free anyway. For those 5 days you'll be able to play online on multiplayer for free on either GTA IV or TLAD but you'll still NEED to purchase TLAD beforehand. You'll also need GTA IV to be able to play TLAD.

Correct?

Pretty much, except the "need to purchase a silver account" part.
You NEVER have to purchase a silver account, 'cause it's FREE.

Other than that, you hit the head on the nail smile.gif

i like coffee enemas
  • i like coffee enemas

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

Oh right, that's cool. So we don't neccesarily have to buy anything to be able to download it? Just have a 360 and hard drive?

Azazel
  • Azazel

Moderating

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (leelee862 @ Feb 10 2009, 18:39)
Oh right, that's cool. So we don't neccesarily have to buy anything to be able to download it? Just have a 360 and hard drive?

Well, yes. You need to purchase the Microsoft Points in order to be able to download it. This either requires you to sign up for a Silver Account and enter your credit card details, or purchase the points in a store.

waldoribeiro
  • waldoribeiro

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (leelee862 @ Feb 10 2009, 17:39)

You miss the point. The ONLY free part is the online play. To download The Lost and Damned you need to pay. Comprehende?

Faledak
  • Faledak

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

Darn it. Im getting my L&D at Feb 26 sad.gif

DANNYT07
  • DANNYT07

Bring back the Tampa ;)

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Mafioso86 @ Feb 10 2009, 12:30)

How the hell could you not play on gta4 online its great with your mates all on free mode driving alone. Ever since i got xbl i carnt stop playing online i get "lonely" if i play on my own lol smile.gif

i like coffee enemas
  • i like coffee enemas

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:02 PM Edited by leelee862, 10 February 2009 - 06:06 PM.

QUOTE (Azazel @ Feb 10 2009, 17:47)

Well, yes. You need to purchase the Microsoft Points in order to be able to download it. This either requires you to sign up for a Silver Account and enter your credit card details, or purchase the points in a store.

Alright, maybe I was asking the wrong question. Microsoft points and silver & gold accounts aside, just imagine that's all sorted. What I wanted to know was, do we have to purchase anything else? Or since we've signed up to LIVE, can we JUST download it AFTER we've paid for it?

Ahh sh*t. I can't think how to word it correctly. Help?

Okay..
We go the the store and purchase some microsoft points..
We get onto the XBOX and insert GTA IV..
We go into marketplace and buy TLAD..
Anything else or is it THAT simple?

i like coffee enemas
  • i like coffee enemas

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (waldoribeiro @ Feb 10 2009, 17:49)
QUOTE (leelee862 @ Feb 10 2009, 17:39)

You miss the point. The ONLY free part is the online play. To download The Lost and Damned you need to pay. Comprehende?

Yeah and I know that much you f*cking moron. Don't try and patronise me. Dickhead.

gta 4 gamer
  • gta 4 gamer

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (leelee862 @ Feb 10 2009, 18:02)

Alright, maybe I was asking the wrong question. Microsoft points and silver & gold accounts aside, just imagine that's all sorted. What I wanted to know was, do we have to purchase anything else? Or since we've signed up to LIVE, can we JUST download it AFTER we've paid for it?

Okay..

Buddy, no need to double post.
That is pretty much the procedure buddy.
But I assume you need a silver/gold account.

i like coffee enemas
  • i like coffee enemas

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (gta 4 gamer @ Feb 10 2009, 18:10)

Okay..

Ahh, cool. Yeah well see that was what I was basically asking. I'm already signed up to LIVE so that automatically gives me a silver account, does it not? And seeing as we're practically getting 5 days of gold free, there wouldn't really be any need to purchase anything else besides TLAD itself would there?

gta 4 gamer
  • gta 4 gamer

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (leelee862 @ Feb 10 2009, 18:15)
QUOTE (gta 4 gamer @ Feb 10 2009, 18:10)

Okay..

Yeah well see that was what I was basically asking. I'm already signed up to LIVE so that automatically gives me a silver account, does it now? And seeing as we're practically getting 5 days of gold free, there wouldn't really be any need to purchase anything else besides TLAD itself would there?

Nope, that is enough. Nothing else to purchase.
Maybe microsoft points. tounge.gif

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

Okay..

Get Gold for a year man. I`d starve for a month for it, then you don`t have to worry about anything and Game are releasing it on the 13th. If there`s one near you, can get the proper box`n`sh*t in time

andysniper
  • andysniper

take to the skies

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

this is pretty cool
but it just seems like a way for microsoft to give a taster of multiplayer, until they realise how good it is and get drawn in to buying a live subscription
but hey trust me its worth it

Wanted Assailant
  • Wanted Assailant

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

f*ck yes.

playaindahood
  • playaindahood

Cooljunk Productions

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Now the servers will be filled with 10 times as many people as before, making it impossible to load a game. Hooray.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users