Photo

How to play offline

10 replies to this topic
scoza05
  • scoza05

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:40 PM

First of all - I don't want to play GTA IV online.

Just got GTA IV and loving it, however, I have noticed a jump in my downloads even though I'm not playing online - I think! I'm assuming to play the game you have to log in to the Rockstar Games Social Club (is there any way to keep the check box unticked so it doesn't remember my password?) although I notice on the back of the box it says 'to play online you need to log in to the Social Club' so I'm assuming you don't need to log in to play off line. Next comes the Games LIVE pop up and I click 'Remind Me Later' hoping this will mean there'll be no internet activity?? Now comes the Rockstar Games Social Club window with PLAY in the bottom left corner. I click on PLAY here and she loads up. I notice when loading up a few small 'notifications' appear at the bottom saying to press home and saying that I'm logged in too.

I know GTA IV can be played online but I also assume it can be played 'offline'. Am I doing something that is causing internet activity here??

Sorry people - new to the online gaming arena!

john88z
  • john88z

Prankster

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:36 AM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=388658

Boosted my fps by 20. You dont need gfwl or rgsc. just make sure to move your saves.

scoza05
  • scoza05

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (john88z @ Feb 7 2009, 02:36)
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=388658

Boosted my fps by 20. You dont need gfwl or rgsc. just make sure to move your saves.

Forgive me but what does FPS and GFWL stand for? I know RGSC stands for Rockstar Games Social Club.

I checked out the link you gave me and if I'm understanding it correctly you're saying I have to edit some programming in order to be able to play the game off line? It's not just a matter of clicking a button??

So if I'm not playing online, what am I downloading so much of?

scoza05
  • scoza05

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

Oh and I'm guessing that somehow with the information that comes in that link you can bypass the Rockstar log in which I'm guessing is causing me to enter the 'download' world??

So, in terms that a 10 year old can understand, how do I bypass the Rockstar log in and just start the game, 'cause as I've pointed out, somehow I've eaten into my downloads without playing online confused.gif

jonbrown
  • jonbrown

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:21 AM Edited by jonbrown, 07 February 2009 - 08:30 AM.

FPS - frames per second. GFWL = games for windows live.

I think john88z is talking about hacking the game in regards to pirated copies, which is not your issue. But I could be wrong. Anyway, it's my understanding that you need to be on GFWL in order to save your progress in the game. I remember I didn't log on one time and had to start from the game's beginning. But you don't need to log on social club to save your game. Download usage? I wonder how much being logged on to gfwl eats into my download cap..I'm wondering also.

scoza05
  • scoza05

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (jonbrown @ Feb 7 2009, 08:21)
FPS - frames per second. GFWL = games for windows live.

I think john88z is talking about hacking the game in regards to pirated copies, which is not your issue. But I could be wrong. Anyway, it's my understanding that you need to be on GFWL in order to save your progress in the game. I remember I didn't log on one time and had to start from the game's beginning. But you don't need to log on social club to save your game. Download usage? I wonder how much being logged on to gfwl eats into my download cap..I'm wondering also.

Thanks for the clarification jb - especially with the acronyms. By the way, how do you click on the link in the social club news where it says TITLE UPDATE? It says you can download it there but I can't see how. You can't click on the URL.

As for starting the game without logging on to the social club - how do you do that?? mercie_blink.gif And what benefit is there in being on GFWL and do you need to be logged in to GFWL to play.

Guess what I'm asking is how do I just play the game without using the social club and GFWL and if I don't use them does that mean I can't save my game? And, are my downloads affected even if I'm playing off line?

This is probably like pulling teeth from a camel but hey - I love the game! Just wish they made it more simpler to start the damn thing!!!! mad.gif

One-time
  • One-time

One-man show

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (jonbrown @ Feb 7 2009, 15:21)
I think john88z is talking about hacking the game in regards to pirated copies

Nope, he's talking about the Xliveless mod which will remove any online features by disabling the GFWL (Games for Windows Live) and RGSC (Rockstar Games Social Club). That mod increases my framerate too, definitely worth a try. tounge.gif

jonbrown
  • jonbrown

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:32 PM Edited by jonbrown, 07 February 2009 - 12:39 PM.

@scoza86, you have to logged on to GFWL in order to save any progress you make in the game (seems evil but that's the way it is). But there's apparently a hack to defeat this requirement according to previos poster. As for as Social Club, it's used as a kind of gateway to the game but you don't have to logged in to play the game or save progress but how to not logon escapes me for the moment (but it think when Social Club fails to connect for whatever reason, you get the option to skip the logon and to play without Social Club. The next time you start GTA4, you get a dialogue box giving you the option to skip logon but I find it easier to just let it connect otherwise you gotta hit a lot of buttons. But apparently there is a hack to get rid of Social Club as well. Either way, I don't see how you could effect your download cap in a big way just by being logged on by GFWL or Rockstar Social Club.

As to increased performance (fps) by disabling GFWL or Rockstar, I don't know but it works according to One-time. Try following the link embedded in the earlier post in this thread.

scoza05
  • scoza05

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:17 AM

Ok I've downloaded and winrared the 'crack' which has, amongst other file names, xlive.dll. Now what do I do? I'm new to cracking games and as a matter of fact, the only cracking I've ever done is get a crack so I don't have to use the CD!!

I've got several files open in WinRAR after I opened xliveless-0.94. Do I select them all and copy them to the Grand Theft Auto IV folder or which folder? Remember guys, you're dealing with an amateur here!

One-time
  • One-time

One-man show

• Members

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:23 AM

Look, modifications are different with cracks and bypassers. Just put the xlive.dll to the game folder and run the game. Now you can run it without clicking the play button in the RGSC app. You don't even have to run RGSC for it.

john88z
  • john88z

Prankster

• Members

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:06 AM

Right click the R*social icon and deselect "Run when windows starts'
Go to your installation folder and make a desktop shortcut from 'launchgtaiv.exe'
Run the game from the shortcut.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users