Red Dead Redemption

9,628 replies to this topic
LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 4 weeks ago

To take this conversation down a slightly more serious path, I finally finished Red Dead Redemption. I bought it on release day, barely got passed the Bonnie missions before deciding it wasn't really my cup of tea. A year later I gave it another shot, this time getting to the Nigel West Dickens missons before calling it a day.

But last week I started a brand new game, forced myself to get further than that, and I actually ended up really enjoying it. I can't remember the last time I finished a game and then read up on character history, fan theories and trivia. It reminded me a bit of my younger days, when I'd obsess over a game, and I haven't had that wonderful feeling in years.

The world is amazing. For a game that is 5 years old, it still looks great. I can't help but wishing GTA V lost a lot of its underwater details, and made Mount Chiliad/San Andreas State Wilderness look more like Tall Trees, which was probably my favourite area of the map. Although Thieves Landing is a close second, the atmosphere there is just amazing.

So I can finally take RDR off my list of "games I couldn't get in to" or something similiar.

However, like all games, It wasn't without fault. Some missions and story elements dragged on for far too long. I felt some of the missions actually destroyed the pace of the game in places.

I also did get slightly tired of hearing the same false promises of:

"I'll help you but first do this"

So you do the task, then you get told

"Okay you done that, now do this and I'll help you"

So you do that, then it's

"Well as you done that, do this then I'll help you"

That cliche was completely overused. Don't get me wrong, that is a usually how many R* games go, but in RDR I found it more frequent than ever.

But they are small annoyances in a game that I really enjoyed :^:

o0eVe0o
  • o0eVe0o

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by o0eVe0o, 4 weeks ago.

^

i kinda had a similar experiance to fallout 3 i was like nope this game isnt for me blew up a town an turned it off didnt play it for like 2 years then went back on it an finished it ended up liking it.

Did you ever get into undead nightmare its a fun little extra bit of story  like an alternate universe i still do play red dead even just for the poker, i hope gta gets poker online or even some form of gambling, + i really like the atmosphere of red dead better especially in thunderstorms to me they were always better in red dead then gta 5 i guess its because red dead has that sense of distance, you can see thunderstorms in the distance lightning etc with out them being right on-top of you

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think it's the nature of video games. Most of the characters in these would simply just be floating about, really, causing chaos and stuff. But from a consumer point of view, we need the overall story arc, and it's usually a personal mission, and yes, you end up stuck in the 'I must save my family, but first, let's play poker'...

But not that often do we see the reluctant hero, or true antihero. Someone who either outs off these tasks because they don't WANT their life back to normal, adrenaline junkies, and/or someone who just wants to watch the world burn - it this that made Trevor appear promising in gta, but he became a cliche, a hypocrite I find unlikable, and an example of the devs trying too hard and taking shortcuts. They didn't do this with Marston. He knew he was a bad guy but he was trying to make a better life for himself. He was naive with the government, thinking they'd follow through with leaving him alone, when in reality I feel he could easily have taken them all out (they need him to kill 3 people, and to do so he cuts down whole armies, outlaws and gangs. Yet he never made a move on two men...), it felt a bit out of character. He's cynical, a bit of a pessimist, and he knows his kind. Most characters in RDR are developed to this standard. In fact even random NPCs in RDR have better character development than any character in gta V, baring the main 3, to some extent.
  • Total Failure likes this

ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 3 weeks ago

GTA V had no character development. We're thrown in to the middle of their story and the game ends in the middle of their story. Nothing was learned and nothing was said. Notice how most R* games and even most open world games start you off with the protag just arriving. I don't need to tell you why they do that. GTA V characters are like Family Guy characters. They're not really charcters by definition. Just identifiable faces that play whatever role and personality the game fancies them too at any time.

The only consistent and I'd argue likeable character - that was actually a character was Trevor. But that's simply because Trevor didn't need much character, personality or thought for his character to work and that was kind of the point of him. But for it, he at least didn't come off as a placeholder like everyone else in the game.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

Uptown Punk

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well it kind of did have character development, in the form of Micheal.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well it kind of did have character development, in the form of Micheal.

This. Michael had depth, a decent backstory... Sort of. It's all promising with Franklin, too. The dynamic between them started well. But When Trevor reaches LS, it all falls apart. Franklin is almost forgotten in terms of growth and development as the 'story' progresses. He remains an empty character.

Michael has a lot in him. He's not quite the level of Niko or Marston, but he's there at least. Trevor is just a cliche, a horrid (IMO) unlikable snapshot of the 'average gta player' (which appears to be an asshole. He is saints row. He is ridiculous. He's contradictory and in consistent, non sensical at times (you can kill an innocent woman for no reason at all but not call her a bitch. Wth?). His story in V is poor and cringeworthy at times.

And it has me worried about the next red dead. I wouldn't mind a tri-character system but if Trevor exists to fill the narrative gap between 'I've killed people :(' and mowing down pedestrians (a needless act as we have all done that with F and M), and to represent the average player, then what hope is there for RDR? It has me worried that the next red dead will be like V in terms of characters and story. I'd rather never have another

I have very little faith in rockstar in this regard. They cater to the masses and that is Trevor and the people that like him.
  • Total Failure and Max Payne like this

RogerWho
  • RogerWho

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 3 weeks ago

R* is not just one studio. GTA series is made by R* North while RDRed were made by R* San Diego. They've also made the Midnight Club series. I played MC LA for a bit and the first cutscene in this street car racing game has more character than the whole GTAV put together. RDRev and older MC games also have great reviews so this studio probably knows their stuff.

The RAGE engine is also San Diego's doing... Not sure what to make of that. But stories, characters and putting the right stuff into the game, yea they seem good at that. R* North often seems clueless by comparison frankly.

Of course that doesn't mean that every next R* game won't be forcefully GTA-fied.

L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV
  • L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV

"I don't mind dying, you feel me? But i just wanna die

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

Wish there was a PS4 and Xbox One remake, with First Person Mode and all.

• Spaghetti Cat likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

R* is not just one studio. GTA series is made by R* North while RDRed were made by R* San Diego. They've also made the Midnight Club series. I played MC LA for a bit and the first cutscene in this street car racing game has more character than the whole GTAV put together. RDRev and older MC games also have great reviews so this studio probably knows their stuff.

The RAGE engine is also San Diego's doing... Not sure what to make of that. But stories, characters and putting the right stuff into the game, yea they seem good at that. R* North often seems clueless by comparison frankly.

Of course that doesn't mean that every next R* game won't be forcefully GTA-fied.

True, but R* SD did work on GTA along with every other R* studio, i believe.

Oh god, no. I don't think First Person fits Red Dead at all. If they include it i hope it's a last minute addition, only after the entire game is made to a high level. I don't want first person to take away some resources that could be used for other in game features. Same applies to Online.

• Max Payne likes this

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

Does RDR still have the glitch with the homing molotov cocktails?

I figure its got to be fixed by now, but it always gives a good laugh the first time you see it.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm going to have to plug up the PS3 to play this tonight, seeing this topic still up is awesome.

• Spaghetti Cat, Kevin3014, Peregrin Brandytook and 1 other like this

L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV
  • L0SS4NT0SK1LL3RV

"I don't mind dying, you feel me? But i just wanna die

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

Oh god, no. I don't think First Person fits Red Dead at all. If they include it i hope it's a last minute addition, only after the entire game is made to a high level. I don't want first person to take away some resources that could be used for other in game features. Same applies to Online.

You better start liking it, Rockstar said the next games will have FPV.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I wouldn't worry about FPV taking away from resources or some sh*t. It's obvious that third-person will always come first for Rockstar, giving their games that cinematic touch they love. Hell, GTA V's FPV isn't that spectacular. There's times in the game where you're forced out of it, into third-person.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I figure its got to be fixed by now, but it always gives a good laugh the first time you see it.

Nope, it's still there. I love making Marston pull off epic curling shots ;)

f*ck you. I don't have to start liking anything. So long as it's optional, I'll turn it off. I find it adds to immersion seeing the character. I don't have to play the game the way you say.

It's one thing I love about fallout; am the ability to switch between third and first person
  • Max Payne likes this

FutoLover
  • FutoLover

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I hope first person isn't in the new Red Dead.

Anyways, this year is the year guys. Trust me

J-B
  • J-B

One Man Crusader

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 2 weeks ago

That's not a glitch, it's a feature. There's no way that was accidental. lol

TalkingPear
  • TalkingPear

Deadly fruit

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 weeks ago

I played this again yesterday and holy sh*t, PC's have spoiled me. Seriously, the jaggies, low FPS and terrible resolution made me want to cry. (it's especially bad on the PS3 version, which I own) It's still a great game though, I just wish there was a PC version. :p

GTAandStuff
  • GTAandStuff

Oh what a thread! WHAT A LOVELY THREAD!

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by GTAandStuff, 2 weeks ago.

I played this again yesterday and holy sh*t, PC's have spoiled me. Seriously, the jaggies, low FPS and terrible resolution made me want to cry. (it's especially bad on the PS3 version, which I own) It's still a great game though, I just wish there was a PC version. :p

All the lovely mods we could have had with this game. The Undead Nightmare DLC would have worked perfectly with a DayZ mod. Online deathmatches in trains would have been super cool too.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I hope first person isn't in the new Red Dead.

Anyways, this year is the year guys. Trust me

Such a dumb thing to hope for. It would be completely optional. Rockstar isn't one for first-person-only games. Why would to not want people to have the option to play the game from a different camera?

• Johnny Rebel likes this

FutoLover
  • FutoLover

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by FutoLover, 2 weeks ago.

I'm glad I don't game on PC only for graphics. Playing on a console makes me appreciate a game for more than just looks

OT:There's a rumor that the new Red Dead will be at gamescon

BS? Probably

Johnny Rebel
  • Johnny Rebel

Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Was playing An Appointed Time and Jesus f*ck is this game broken to sh*t. Shoot the guy on the cart's gattling gun, but apparently the game doesn't like that! So my horse's animations have an immense amount of lag and it starts riding INTO the terrain. I get off and try to get out of the glitch but find myself stuck in the ground. I try to kill myself with dynamite but I can't equip it. The pause menu text also did not show up at all.

So here I was with my thumb up my ass while the game breaks itself in half. THANKS FOR FIXING THESE GAME BREAKING BUGS ROCKSTAR!

Anyways, Does Red Dead NEED first person? Absolutely not. Should it have first person? Not really. Would it be a good addition? It wouldn't be a bad one, since you could just not turn it on. But if you really want a western FPS, just get Call of Juarez. (Just avoid that festering piece of sh*t CoJ: The Cartel)

f*ck you. I don't have to start liking anything. So long as it's optional, I'll turn it off. I find it adds to immersion seeing the character. I don't have to play the game the way you say.

It's one thing I love about fallout; am the ability to switch between third and first person

Oh piss off. Are you getting mad because you can't understand a figure of speech? You poor f*cking thing! He's not putting a knife to your throat and telling you to like it. Rockstar plans to put the feature into other games and he's telling you to get used to it whether you like it or not. No need to get into temper tantrum. 

GTAandStuff
  • GTAandStuff

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'm glad I don't game on PC only for graphics. Playing on a console makes me appreciate a game for more than just looks

OT:There's a rumor that the new Red Dead will be at gamescon

BS? Probably

R* usually doesn't go to gaming conventions.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Was playing An Appointed Time and Jesus f*ck is this game broken to sh*t. Shoot the guy on the cart's gattling gun, but apparently the game doesn't like that! So my horse's animations have an immense amount of lag and it starts riding INTO the terrain. I get off and try to get out of the glitch but find myself stuck in the ground. I try to kill myself with dynamite but I can't equip it. The pause menu text also did not show up at all.

So here I was with my thumb up my ass while the game breaks itself in half. THANKS FOR FIXING THESE GAME BREAKING BUGS ROCKSTAR!

Anyways, Does Red Dead NEED first person? Absolutely not. Should it have first person? Not really. Would it be a good addition? It wouldn't be a bad one, since you could just not turn it on. But if you really want a western FPS, just get Call of Juarez. (Just avoid that festering piece of sh*t CoJ: The Cartel)

Oh piss off. Are you getting mad because you can't understand a figure of speech? You poor f*cking thing! He's not putting a knife to your throat and telling you to like it. Rockstar plans to put the feature into other games and he's telling you to get used to it whether you like it or not. No need to get into temper tantrum. 

d6f.jpg
So you're throwing a tantrum yourself, while doing the exact thing you're accusing me of?

514857128bdc9698dbaaeea37dc75f69e3fde40c

Anyway, childish squables aside, and back on topic: No, I can't see Red Dead being at a games con. I don't recall Rockstar ever making an announcement or showcase at one of these shows (i think they might have done for gta III but i wasnt interested in games cons back then). I personally don't think we'll see a red dead announcement any time soon, either. Call me cynical if you like, but I think their primary focus is on GTA O atm. I think there's still more to come with their (quite frankly) monotonous DLCs (thought fair play for them being free, gg R*) and i can't see such a big title being announced this side of autumn, and tbh, even this year.

• Max Payne likes this

85 Diplomat
  • 85 Diplomat

The anti-griefer

• Members
  • Syria

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by 85 Diplomat, 2 weeks ago.

Dusted off the old 360, and fired up RDR. Never finished it. I plan to. I'm having a ton of fun in that game. Its literally a million times better than GTA V. In fact, I've come to realize GTA V is complete sh*t. Everything about it sucks and everything RDR and GTA IV did better. The wanted system. Ragdoll physics, freedom to do whatever you want, the wanted/bounty system, even weapon sound effects. The storyline in RDR certainly has me interested. GTA IVs storyline was extremely emotional and gripping. I can't speak entirely for RDR yet because I haven't finished it but so far it's awesome. V felt like a joke. I kept hoping Niko would show up and kill all 3 of those worthless characters.

Another thing RDR does better that both GTA IV and V really f*cked up is cheat codes. The cheats let you have infinite amount of fun in RDR, in IV they were somewhat tricky, and in V they are useless. You can't do anything fun in V.
  • FiS!!HeR likes this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 2 weeks ago

you, diplomat, are a joke...LITERALLY...aks your parents and don't take my word for it....but your father probably thought it'd be fun to dive into your moms without a hat for once....OH LEL good times....now the intrawebs has got you and your valuable opinion...WONDERFUL

Call me cynical if you like, but I think their primary focus is on GTA O atm. I think there's still more to come with their (quite frankly) monotonous DLCs (thought fair play for them being free, gg R*) and i can't see such a big title being announced this side of autumn, and tbh, even this year.

they'll announce the next RD title once the singleplayer DLC for V has dropped....later this year.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Cheats are just that; fun. v has some good ones, though.

I don't agree with v's wanted level being worse: well on paper anyway. It doesn't WORK properly but being able to hide is great - would be cool to hide out in a barn in a storm to lose a posse in RDR

The overall package of RDR is better than V by a long way although V's engine is far superior and some of the design is better..

GTAandStuff
  • GTAandStuff

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Dusted off the old 360, and fired up RDR. Never finished it. I plan to. I'm having a ton of fun in that game. Its literally a million times better than GTA V. In fact, I've come to realize GTA V is complete sh*t. Everything about it sucks and everything RDR and GTA IV did better. The wanted system. Ragdoll physics, freedom to do whatever you want, the wanted/bounty system, even weapon sound effects. The storyline in RDR certainly has me interested. GTA IVs storyline was extremely emotional and gripping. I can't speak entirely for RDR yet because I haven't finished it but so far it's awesome. V felt like a joke. I kept hoping Niko would show up and kill all 3 of those worthless characters.

Another thing RDR does better that both GTA IV and V really f*cked up is cheat codes. The cheats let you have infinite amount of fun in RDR, in IV they were somewhat tricky, and in V they are useless. You can't do anything fun in V.

I'm not gonna start arguing, but imo RDR>GTA V>GTA IV.

volta2001
  • volta2001

drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

Ur playing it wrong

TalkingPear
  • TalkingPear

Deadly fruit

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 days ago

Ur playing it wrong

Is there something wrong with valuing both gameplay and graphics? Please elaborate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users