Quantcast

» «
Photo

Red Dead Redemption

9,107 replies to this topic
AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (NYC PATROL @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 10:09)
I'd like to see a prequel with John Marston and his back story before the events of Red Dead Redemption

(Spoilers, probably)

Well, you see, the thing is that it wouldn't really work. What makes RDR's story really good is that the details about Marston's past are very vague. Was Marston the Robin Hood figure he claims to be? Was he an optimistic kid brought to the life of crime? Or was he just a cold, heartless killer? Its all up to how you play him and how you interpret his character. It leads to multiple interpretations of the redemption in the game and makes it richer. If Marston was really a monster and did such terrible things, can you really blame Ross for wanting to get him? Was Dutch a manipulative sociopath or does he really believe society would be better without technology, making him a well intentioned extremist? Its the ambiguity that makes it so interesting.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:20)
I'd like to see a prequel with John Marston and his back story before the events of Red Dead Redemption

(Spoilers, probably)

Well, you see, the thing is that it wouldn't really work. What makes RDR's story really good is that the details about Marston's past are very vague. Was Marston the Robin Hood figure he claims to be? Was he an optimistic kid brought to the life of crime? Or was he just a cold, heartless killer? Its all up to how you play him and how you interpret his character. It leads to multiple interpretations of the redemption in the game and makes it richer. If Marston was really a monster and did such terrible things, can you really blame Ross for wanting to get him? Was Dutch a manipulative sociopath or does he really believe society would be better without technology, making him a well intentioned extremist? Its the ambiguity that makes it so interesting.

Nicely put. I just like his story so much. I'm so ready for another Western adventure from Rockstar. I imagine Rockstar
San Diego is already at work on a new one which excites me a lot.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (NYC PATROL @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 10:26)

(Spoilers, probably)

Nicely put. I just like his story so much. I'm so ready for another Western adventure from Rockstar. I imagine Rockstar

Yeah, he's just such a deep character. He's one of my all time favourites.

And before anyone says anything, a Jack game wouldn't work either because the point of the ending is that Jack is going down the same road as his father by killing Ross and becoming wanted for killing an FBI agent. While on the surface it looks like Jack has avenged John and its an uplifting moment, he has in fact betrayed his father's best wishes for him and will go down the same dark path John wanted him to avoid, and, if you think about, the entire game was about John trying to keep his family safe. Jack becoming an outlaw practically undoes everything John does in the game, so it is still a downer ending. You could make a game about it, but it wouldn't really be necessary, not to mention R* don't really carry on storyline threads from game to game, they just have recurring side characters. Think how SA was its own story from VC, despite the fact that its a sequel and so on.

Jakee.
  • Jakee.

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Some quiet murmurings that we may see a next-gen iteration within the Red Dead franchise, anyone hope this comes true like me? smile.gif

bluetops
  • bluetops

Chupacabra

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Have you guys encountered a ghost town? Not like Tumbleweed. I think I just made Casa Madrugada( or whatever) a ghost town after the mission where you were supposed to find De Santa. It is now inhabited by wild animals. Luckily, I finished the Liar's Dice objective before that. Anyway, have you guys encountered it? Can it happen to all towns in RDR?

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (bluetops @ Friday, May 31 2013, 06:30)
Have you guys encountered a ghost town? Not like Tumbleweed. I think I just made Casa Madrugada( or whatever) a ghost town after the mission where you were supposed to find De Santa. It is now inhabited by wild animals. Luckily, I finished the Liar's Dice objective before that. Anyway, have you guys encountered it? Can it happen to all towns in RDR?

That's a bug. I've a video of it on my youtube channel. cougars everywhere!

For some reason my game "forgot" casa Madrugada was a "safe" zone. People still spawned however, but iirc there was one time it was dead..

bluetops
  • bluetops

Chupacabra

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Friday, May 31 2013, 09:34)
QUOTE (bluetops @ Friday, May 31 2013, 06:30)

That's a bug. I've a video of it on my youtube channel. cougars everywhere!

For some reason my game "forgot" casa Madrugada was a "safe" zone. People still spawned however, but iirc there was one time it was dead..

Oh, thanks. In my game, the only time that people will go there is when the train brings some people. It's weird.

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (NYC PATROL @ Friday, May 24 2013, 16:09)

Can't wait to see what Rockstar has up their sleeves within the next 3-4 years

Honestly, that should've been DLC, imo.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Anyone know where the unicorn is? I already killed the chupacabra...

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

Youtube is your friend haha

MikeyBelic
  • MikeyBelic

Head Lad

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Anyone want to add my PSN and play online with me? I've never met anyone on RDR on PS3 ever...

My psn's Luethdno

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (The Viperman @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 15:58)
Anyone know where the unicorn is? I already killed the chupacabra...

Looking for the Unicorn was just absolutely frustrating for me. Then I realized that if you're at a certain point in the game, it will never appear unless you complete the storyline. Weird.

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

At least the unicorn appears in the same location (fixed).

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

Wait, is the Unicorn supposed to appear in the same area that you found the chupacabra in? Because I found it southeast of Perido. I looked around the "3 horses" area of the map for hours, still no sign of it. And I completed the storyline, too.

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

There's a fan made live action movie in the works, here's a trailer:

Looks awesome. Don't know why they made John in his 50s though turn.gif

Eazy 357
  • Eazy 357

RoiDesClit

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

I love how Abigail is always in the kitchen hehe tounge.gif

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

I've been playing a lot on Hardcore these days. Almost done with the story, I'm trying to get everything before I head home to Beecher's Hope. I was doing that Stranger mission, "Lights Camera Action". I kept playing even after I had won the deed. Easiest $1800 I ever made in the game. Even more easier than hunting all the buffalo with the Expert Hunter Outfit. I would've kept playing more, but I accidentally loaded the game after I lost once. Now I'm going for all the outfits that I can wear before going to my farm. After that I'll probably finish the Challenges.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

Also, in Undead Nightmare, does anyone know the song that sometimes plays when you go to the cabin in Tanner's Reach?

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Friday, May 24 2013, 21:58)
QUOTE (NYC PATROL @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 10:26)

(Spoilers, probably)

Yeah, he's just such a deep character. He's one of my all time favourites.

And before anyone says anything, a Jack game wouldn't work either because the point of the ending is that Jack is going down the same road as his father by killing Ross and becoming wanted for killing an FBI agent. While on the surface it looks like Jack has avenged John and its an uplifting moment, he has in fact betrayed his father's best wishes for him and will go down the same dark path John wanted him to avoid, and, if you think about, the entire game was about John trying to keep his family safe. Jack becoming an outlaw practically undoes everything John does in the game, so it is still a downer ending. You could make a game about it, but it wouldn't really be necessary, not to mention R* don't really carry on storyline threads from game to game, they just have recurring side characters. Think how SA was its own story from VC, despite the fact that its a sequel and so on.

Great posts AceRay.

That's why I love Rockstar. They have a hit game & a great character but you can bet they won't re-use anything from Redemption. Each of their games stands alone & I hope they continue that trend. They never take the easy route & they never rest on their laurels.

RDR is my all time favourite game. I had a lump in my throat during the final two missions.

tuareg
  • tuareg

that aaaaain't workin, that's the way you do it

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

the point of the ending is that Jack is going down the same road as his father by killing Ross and becoming wanted for killing an FBI agent. While on the surface it looks like Jack has avenged John and its an uplifting moment, he has in fact betrayed his father's best wishes for him and will go down the same dark path John wanted him to avoid, and, if you think about, the entire game was about John trying to keep his family safe. Jack becoming an outlaw practically undoes everything John does in the game, so it is still a downer ending.

That's possibly one of the most beautiful yet painful things about the whole story. In the end almost everything was for nothing. John was gunned down, both Abigail and Uncle are dead and Jack becomes what his father never wanted him to be.

But then when you think about it the whole concept of the game is "redemption" and earning forgiveness for past sins. Coincidentally that's the only thing John accomplished by the end.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Nevermind, found the unicorn! biggrin.gif

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (tuareg @ Saturday, Jun 8 2013, 05:55)
the point of the ending is that Jack is going down the same road as his father by killing Ross and becoming wanted for killing an FBI agent. While on the surface it looks like Jack has avenged John and its an uplifting moment, he has in fact betrayed his father's best wishes for him and will go down the same dark path John wanted him to avoid, and, if you think about, the entire game was about John trying to keep his family safe. Jack becoming an outlaw practically undoes everything John does in the game, so it is still a downer ending.

That's possibly one of the most beautiful yet painful things about the whole story. In the end almost everything was for nothing. John was gunned down, both Abigail and Uncle are dead and Jack becomes what his father never wanted him to be.

But then when you think about it the whole concept of the game is "redemption" and earning forgiveness for past sins. Coincidentally that's the only thing John accomplished by the end.

Red Dead Renegade?

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

I can't tell, does Red Dead Redemption have medium, far, and motion blur like GTA IV? I can tell it doesn't have the near-blur like IV on the PC, but I'm not sure about the others.

GTAfear
  • GTAfear

Think of a yellow rubber duck!

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Lololololololololololololololololololololol! The races in this game... Lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol!

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

So I finally saved up enough to buy the War Horse. I feel like in Hardcore, I help people mostly to get money. Whereas in Normal mode I felt like I was helping people just because I wanted to.

Got most of the outfits, with the exception of Legend of the West, Army Uniform and Reyes Rebel Outfit. The damned Master Hunter Challenges are holding me back on Legend of the West Outfit. I don't know how to play Poker and I can't find the damn horse for 'Love is the Opiate'. I'll find the horse and beat the players in Poker eventually. I did it once before too.

After completing Hardcore mode 100%, I'm gonna play Undead Nightmare once again. I didn't 100% it before.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (GTAfear @ Wednesday, Jun 12 2013, 18:42)
Lololololololololololololololololololololol! The races in this game... Lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol!

Man, I wish you could do races. They were fun in missions. It's so disappointing that it isn't a side-activity.

Also, aren't some rocks supposed to fall off a cliff or something in one of the races? I've beaten the game three or four times, and it almost happened once. I say almost because I'm pretty sure I saw them falling, but took a different route - then John brings it up in the following cutscene.

GTAfear
  • GTAfear

Think of a yellow rubber duck!

• Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (cp1dell @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 19:09)
QUOTE (GTAfear @ Wednesday, Jun 12 2013, 18:42)

Man, I wish you could do races. They were fun in missions. It's so disappointing that it isn't a side-activity.

Also, aren't some rocks supposed to fall off a cliff or something in one of the races? I've beaten the game three or four times, and it almost happened once. I say almost because I'm pretty sure I saw them falling, but took a different route - then John brings it up in the following cutscene.

No, no, no, I meant multiplayer races, Grand Prix... confused.gif

And I don't think that happens in any of the races. At least I don't remember. wow.gif

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:02 AM

Finally got the Legend of the West outfit. Now I'm doing the bounties before I head home to Beecher's Hope. Only two things will be left for 100% completion, the Army Uniform scrap and the US Marshal Outfit. Will get them in no time.

Anyway, I was killing people in Casa Madrugada with my Semi-Auto Shotgun. There was this guy who was running away, I shot him in the leg and he fell down beside a box. I shot him another time and turned away to take care of some other people. I was trying to line up a shot on a fat man running away. I backed up a little and then,"bam". The guy I thought I had killed was on his knees and he killed me with his shotgun. Just one shot. This is why I love Hardcore so much. The realism.

Also, I accepted the bouny for Geraldo Elisaldez. Went there, it was raining hard. Sniped one of his guys from below and the John shouted, 'I've come for you Geraldo'. The whole scene was epic, with the rain.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

Finished it for the third time. First time on Hardcore mode. Definitely more enjoyable and realistic. Achieved 100% completion for the second time. biggrin.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users