What happens exactly if you cheat?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic
Ilovevicecity324
  • Ilovevicecity324

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:20 AM

Ok, so I do admit, that occassionally when I'm playing GTA games, I do tend to cheat every once in awhile. But, I've noticed this with almost every GTA game I play, whenever you try to save your game during a cheat it says "Warning: One or more cheats have been activated. It is recommended not to save your game" or something like that, so my question is: What is the warning for? Because I've cheated quite a few times and saved and my game went on just fine, nothing bad happened or anything. confused.gif

iamanevilbastard
  • iamanevilbastard

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:06 AM

I've had my PS2 copy lof GTA San Andreas to glitch up and freeze.

I know that this applies to VC: if you go into stats and check the top right corner, then there will be a njumber calculated from your kill count, vehicles destroyed and cash. Cheats decrease this. And if you spawn a Rhino, it can squash you and you die.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

I've read of some cheats corrupting your save and making it unplayable (skins, giant tires) but have never experienced nor even heard 2nd hand accounts of this-- if your save currently works, it is likely ok.... if you cheat in a regularly you might want to rotate your most current save among 3 slots or so, so if the save gets corupted you won't lose much game progress (a good idea even if you don't cheat)

Some cheats (like Peds riot) cannot be turned off making it impossible to complete certain tasks to complete the game---

Others are perfectly safe--- health, spawn vehicles, etc... not that I advocate the use of them to complete the game... I've played with cheats before after I've completed the game however I heed the warning and never save with them activated.

HTH

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Jan 31 2009, 15:27)
I heed the warning and never save with them activated.

HTH

I'm exactly the same. The warning is there for a definite reason. Regarding the cheats, as Spuds has already pointed out, I'd steer well clear of the ones that are permanent (Peds riot, Tommy Groupies, big tires etc), although I'm not keen on endorsing any type of cheat in-game for any other reason than sheer entertainment. Each to their own, but be forewarned about the use of permanent cheats as they will more than likely prevent you from achieving 100%.

WelcomeToLibertyCity
  • WelcomeToLibertyCity

City of Angels

• Members

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:50 PM Edited by WelcomeToLibertyCity, 25 February 2009 - 08:53 PM.

On my VC for Xbox, if you cheat a certain amount of times your game will not load, making it impossible to play the game. This is only solved if you delete your file. I found out the hard way. cryani.gif But on SA, I've cheated tons of times without anything happening. GTA III however, I have no clue what happens if you cheat too much, since I only cheated a few times on that game just to get a car.

EDIT Sorry for the bump, I did not realize how old this was.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE (WelcomeToLibertyCity @ Feb 25 2009, 16:50)
On my VC for Xbox, if you cheat a certain amount of times your game will not load, making it impossible to play the game. This is only solved if you delete your file. I found out the hard way. cryani.gif   But on SA, I've cheated tons of times without anything happening. GTA III however, I have no clue what happens if you cheat too much, since I only cheated a few times on that game just to get a car.

EDIT Sorry for the bump, I did not realize how old this was.

Its not real old wink.gif

Corrupted save, like I referred to before-- this could be anything..... I doubt it has to do with the number of times you cheat, just certain data the game may not like in the save file-- rotating save slots will likely prevent you from completely losing your progress/save....

I've only had one corrupted save in all the GTAs I've played--- IV in my autosave slot--- I rotate among 4 slots as well as in IV they have an autosave function (at least on PS3)... I lost very little progress.

flicko
  • flicko

-

• Members

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

I've encountered a corrupted save on my Vice City for PS2 loads of times. I used to have a second-hand game, purchased from the shop. It only cost about 4 (around $5.77?), and the disc was scratched all over the place. For a short while, the game was fine. However, one day when I attempted to save the game, it took an age to save, and never actually confirmed. I had to go out so turned my console off (at the point where it says do not remove memory card, turn off console etc.). When I attempted to re-load my game, it was corrupted. This happened numerous amounts of times, once when I was >80% into the game.

When I finally got my head around it, I purchased a new, clean first-hand game and haven't encountered a corrupted save since. Lesson learned; cheap isn't always best! tounge.gif

121oooify
  • 121oooify

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

I've cheated on Vice city Before and saved it and my save file was corrupted.I was Wondering if the same would happen on San Andreas.If you know please reply.

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Read the above...use of ingame cheats has little to do with game file corruption (although use of a 3rd-party cheating disc could...such as entering a bad code). Most likely, yours is a case of coincidence - like saving at Cherry Poppers in the original version of the game, or an unnoticed power spike that happens as the memory card is being written to, etc).

As far as the message itself is concerned...it is there as both a reminder (in case you've forgotton which save files you cheated in)...as well as a disclaimer (i.e. R* assumes no responsibility for what you do when advised against it). It would be impossible for any game devs to fully research the infinite number of cheat combinations that could conceivably lead to problems down the road (like the infamouse San Andreas Madd Dogg "glitch"). As far as they care, cheat at your own risk.

On the subject of 100% completion...AFAIK it has yet to be proven that use of ingame cheats prevent that from being reached directly. However, it may make the goal difficult indirectly (as in the case of Madd Dogg)...indeed, any mission that depends upon unaltered ped behaviour to succeed. Or defeating other mission specifics - such as being instructed to maintain a wanted level with a "never wanted" cheat in effect (basically failing the mission from the get-go).

crazycooky
  • crazycooky

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

your system blows up.....f*cking idiot! sigh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users