» «
Photo

Weird black textures...?

6 replies to this topic
Dreakon
  • Dreakon

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:49 AM Edited by Dreakon, 28 January 2009 - 07:57 AM.

I have a ATI Radeon 2600XT 512mb and I've been using the 8.10 drivers for the longest time and everything was fine, but one day I was getting a little frisky and decided to download the latest Omega Drivers based on the 7.12 drivers (people say older drivers tend to work better with older cards). I went through the correct procedures for uninstalling and cleaning the old drivers, and installing the new ones. It seemingly went well, but GTA IV started coming up with some kind of funky black texture problem like this:

http://img91.imagesh...2/gtaiv2me5.jpg
http://img91.imagesh...92/gtaivyc2.jpg

Realizing something wasn't right, I quickly (but thoroughly) removed the Omega Drivers and decided to go all out and just upgrade to the latest ATI Catalyst release (8.12). However, it seems like the game still has the same black texture problem.

A couple things I did seemed to fix the problem temporarily. I got rid of my commandline.txt and it fixed it the first time I loaded it. But then I loaded the game later in the day another time and the problem was back! Also, if I minimize and bring the game back several times while playing it seems to fix it sometimes? I really can't seem to get a handle on what the problem is and it always seems to come back at some point.

I should say I've never had this problem before on this computer. The only time I have ever seen this was when I turned Fast Writes OFF in the Catalyst Control Center (I've tried both on and off now and it didnt help). Nothing in my computer is overheating or anything, so that isn't a problem. I've probably gotten through 75% of the game at this point without any real graphic or gameplay problems (outside of the occasion freeze or crash).

Thoughts? I appreciate any help! I know I've seen people with this problem before on here, but a search didn't come up with anything useful.

My PC Specs:
Windows XP Home
Pentium D 960 3.6Ghz
2gb DDR2 RAM
230gb Hard Drive
Radeon HD2600XT 512mb (latest 8.12 drivers)

Oh, and I have the latest 1.0.2.0 update for GTAIV. The game worked fine unpatched, with the 1.0.1.0 update and the latest one. The patches certainly did not cause this. I purchased the game in-store, not through Steam or online in any way.

logitechdog
  • logitechdog

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

opening CCC and reset all the 3D graphics settings

or might need to uncheck >use custom settings< and change to quality

Dreakon
  • Dreakon

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

Unchecking custom settings and changing it to Quality fixed it the first time I loaded the game up. But every time I loaded it after that the problem came back.

Restoring the defaults didn't do anything. sad.gif

Thanks for the help though! Any other suggestions?

logitechdog
  • logitechdog

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

mess with the mipmap setting see if it goes...

or turn cat A.I off in 3d settings, if you have not

if that don't work might be your refreshrate

or drivers need reinstalling, after a full clean remove first...

anything other than this then I don't know

reznor
  • reznor

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:41 AM

yeah, clean uninstall ("driver sweeper" for exemple) reinstall 8.12 and put high quality mipmap settings in CCC wink.gif

mosqa
  • mosqa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

HI!

I'd had the same problem, just after setting the ram frequency higher. I've Downloaded the Rambooster prog, and that solved the problem!

Zoli
HUN

n3whous3
  • n3whous3

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Dreakon @ Jan 28 2009, 07:49)
I have a ATI Radeon 2600XT 512mb and I've been using the 8.10 drivers for the longest time and everything was fine, but one day I was getting a little frisky and decided to download the latest Omega Drivers based on the 7.12 drivers (people say older drivers tend to work better with older cards). I went through the correct procedures for uninstalling and cleaning the old drivers, and installing the new ones. It seemingly went well, but GTA IV started coming up with some kind of funky black texture problem like this:

http://img91.imagesh...2/gtaiv2me5.jpg
http://img91.imagesh...92/gtaivyc2.jpg

Realizing something wasn't right, I quickly (but thoroughly) removed the Omega Drivers and decided to go all out and just upgrade to the latest ATI Catalyst release (8.12). However, it seems like the game still has the same black texture problem.

A couple things I did seemed to fix the problem temporarily. I got rid of my commandline.txt and it fixed it the first time I loaded it. But then I loaded the game later in the day another time and the problem was back! Also, if I minimize and bring the game back several times while playing it seems to fix it sometimes? I really can't seem to get a handle on what the problem is and it always seems to come back at some point.

I should say I've never had this problem before on this computer. The only time I have ever seen this was when I turned Fast Writes OFF in the Catalyst Control Center (I've tried both on and off now and it didnt help). Nothing in my computer is overheating or anything, so that isn't a problem. I've probably gotten through 75% of the game at this point without any real graphic or gameplay problems (outside of the occasion freeze or crash).

Thoughts? I appreciate any help! I know I've seen people with this problem before on here, but a search didn't come up with anything useful.

My PC Specs:
Windows XP Home
Pentium D 960 3.6Ghz
2gb DDR2 RAM
230gb Hard Drive
Radeon HD2600XT 512mb (latest 8.12 drivers)

Oh, and I have the latest 1.0.2.0 update for GTAIV. The game worked fine unpatched, with the 1.0.1.0 update and the latest one. The patches certainly did not cause this. I purchased the game in-store, not through Steam or online in any way.

This is just because you're mip.map settings are not on High Quality. Set it to it in catalyst center and the problem will gone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users