Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

108 replies to this topic
gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:42 PM Edited by gamesguru, 08 March 2010 - 12:26 AM.

WebsiteMySpaceFacebookYouTubeTwitter
user posted image
[Out Now]
Buy Standard EditionBuy Deluxe CD&DVD Edition
Buy Japanese Standard EditionBuy Japanese Experience Edition

Info
After almost five years the critically acclaimed and universally praised Alternative group of fictional characters, Gorillaz, return with their third album hoping to improve on the fantastic second album known as Demon Days. With its release in March, unfortunately it will be the last album to be seen from the quirky band.

It's now 2010, after long lengths of time being drip-fed interviews and information, the album is now in full 'hype mod', with it's debut single Stylo (see further down the page) creating a buzz on the internet particularly. With that comes more information including magazine articles from Q Magazine, Album Covers, Teaser Videos and a Track Listing. Although we still have to wait until March, many are patiently waiting for the climax that is Gorillaz final album Plastic Beach. See you there with your CD at the finish line!
[Track Listing]

--------------------------------------------

01 - Orchestral Intro (featuring Sinfonia ViVA)

02 - Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach (feat. Snoop Dogg and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble)

03 - White Flag (feat. Kano, Bashy and The National Orchestra For Arabic Music)

04 - Rhinestone Eyes

05 - Stylo (feat. Bobby Womack and Mos Def)

06 - Superfast Jellyfish (feat. Gruff Rhys and De La Soul)

07 - Empire Ants (feat. Little Dragon)

08 - Glitter Freeze (feat. Mark E Smith)

09 - Some Kind Of Nature (feat. Lou Reed)

10 - On Melancholy Hill

11 - Broken

12 - Sweepstakes (feat. Mos Def & Hypnotic Brass Ensemble)

13 - Plastic Beach (feat. Mick Jones & Paul Simonon)

14 - To Binge (feat. Little Dragon)

15 - Cloud Of Unknowing (feat. Bobby Womack and Sinfonia ViVA)

16 - Pirate Jet

Singles

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Woah, Gorillaz have a new album planned? I was impressed by their B Side album and also the Monkey From The East (or something) soundtrack. Is it implied that Noodle is dead? She appeared to die in the El Manana video, will she be replaced in terms of the cartoon?

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

No, in the first demo she is present in the second part of the song. This 3rd Phase (Phase, as in the Gorillaz actually have a back story to go with their albums) the [cartoon] band members are now older and will be drawn in a new style by Jamie Hewlett. According to Damon, the new album will take a fresh new approach compared to the Demon Dayz style (Demon Dayz doing the same over the original album).

And if you didn't know, another B-side album came out this year called 'D-Sides' which was the B-side for Demon Dayz. I bought the special edition and must say that there are some magnificent songs on there, my favorites being 'Hong Kong' and 'We Are Happy Landfill'.

Tetsuo2501
  • Tetsuo2501

TV Casualty

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

i love their studio releases.

this third album im sure will be as good as the others. i wonder if theyre going to have zombie references in this one as well.

imo i think he should still draw the Tank Girl comics, Ashely Woods art for it is...awful.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (gamesguru @ Jan 18 2009, 21:55)
And if you didn't know, another B-side album came out this year called 'D-Sides' which was the B-side for Demon Dayz. I bought the special edition and must say that there are some magnificent songs on there, my favorites being 'Hong Kong' and 'We Are Happy Landfill'.

I was referring to D Sides, forgot the name of it, I adore the Chinese New Year Remix of Dirty Harry. If the new style of Gorillaz is anything like this I'm going to fall in love with them all over again. I've just never liked their name to be honest.

And the new art is interesting; Noodle is now back you say? Good. Is there anywhere where we can see samples of the new art by Jamie Hewlett?

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

I've never been a bit Gorillaz fan. I think Hewlitt should continue drawing Tank Girl comics. That's where he belongs!

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ Jan 19 2009, 22:50)
I was referring to D Sides

Is there anywhere where we can see samples of the new art by Jamie Hewlett?

I thought you was talking about G-sides blush.gif .
And the picture in the first post is a new picture of Murdoc, so that should give you a general idea of the new art style.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (gamesguru @ Jan 20 2009, 13:56)
And the picture in the first post is a new picture of Murdoc, so that should give you a general idea of the new art style.

Hmm. Looks like the old style of Pokemon card art. Looks good though, at a glance you couldn't tell anything was actually different. I look forward to this new album, actually, I was listening to Demon Days and I had to admire just how generic it sounded; there's not one collection of songs together on that album that fit together and can be categorized.

Tony Mozzarelli 80
  • Tony Mozzarelli 80

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

I like the Gorillaz music, although i've only heard the first two albums.

I have to say i found the whole 'cartoon' concept to be a bit contrived and unnecessary. Still i'd like to hear more of their stuff

GTASIX
  • GTASIX

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

I like Dare and Feel Good Inc and thats about it.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake
  • Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

• Members

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Masterkraft @ Jan 19 2009, 22:50)
I've just never liked their name to be honest.

Really? I've always loved it. GORILLAZ... That just has a nice ring to it.

Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

You can get the Gorillaz Demos here if you want.

It's definitely a new sound from them. Thanks for the radio stream.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Venom @ Jan 23 2009, 22:11)
You can get the Gorillaz Demos here if you want.

It's definitely a new sound from them. Thanks for the radio stream.

Thanks; and no problem icon14.gif .

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

Excuse the bump, but it's better than making a brand new topic. I finally updated the first post with all new information (info, link, release date, album cover, etc) and an all new link to the debut single Stylo:

maxopower
  • maxopower

I believe!

• Members

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

2010 will be a great year for music, new albums from: Arcade Fire, Interpol, MGMT, LCD Soundsystem, Flee Foxes and of course Gorillaz

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:20 AM

I never got into their Stylo.

I assume they never toured? I've never been fond of comics though. Interesting so few releases.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:03 AM Edited by The Killa, 27 January 2010 - 06:06 AM.

I've always been a huge admirer of Albarn and Hewlitt's work. Gorillaz have been one of the better "electronica" acts I've listened to, and tracks like Clint Eastwood, DARE, 19-2000, Dirty Harry and many more are just absolute classics.

Totally looking forward to this one, infact I'll put my order down for it soon. I see we're in for an interesting new style.

Anyway, have to leave this here

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

@Slamman: Well to be honest, I don't remember any 'comics' from Gorillaz. I don't see why the whole cartoon back story of the band should detract you from listening to their actual music. I didn't even like Stylo myself too much upon my first listen, but then it grew on me extremely quickly. They do tour quite often, less so in the US I presume though. Although, they was at that recent concert in California. As for few releases; I'd rather it be that way, it makes the albums feel more special, and you really appreciate it after waiting for many years. Although there have been many Gorillaz ventures in-between, including: B-Side albums, Journey To The West (play & soundtrack), Bananaz Documentary, and other music based ventures.

@The Killa: When I first heard Clint Eastwood, that was it for me. I just loved the track. I think they played the official remix more than the original if my memory serves, but nevertheless, it was a fantastic track. When Demon Days came out, I talked about Gorillaz to people when ever music was the topic of discussion for at least a year straight. Dare was a personal favourite.

The teaser videos show part of the instrumentals from the album (so I've heard):

Interesting......

------------------
Also, thanks to the member of staff who changed the topic title smile.gif icon14.gif .

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

I think Gorillaz is one of the bands I listen to where I actually enjoy the remixes more. It's almost like they make songs just so they can be messed with, and the result is always great. That's probably why I enjoyed D-Sides so much.

The first song I think I heard was 19/2000, and even then it was the Soulchild remix (included as a bonus track on the debut album). I remember that for ages I thought that was the original album version, and when I finally found out that it wasn't, I instantly took a dislike to the original. Of course, it is a brilliant track.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

I was exactly the same way, the remix definitely was better, and it probably got more radio time too. I'm not a fan of remixes, but somehow, Gorillaz always get some great remixes. Including the Dirty Harry Chinese New Year Remix which you highlighted earlier in the topic. I never really liked G-Sides though (which had the 19-200 & Clint Eastwood Remix), seeing as there was only a small amount of tracks, with at least half of them being bonus or region specific tracks on the self-titled debut anyway.

Back to remixes though, another one I like is Jamie T's one of 'Kids With Guns'. It sounds nothing like the original, although you can see where parts of the original are in the song, it's a great track:

Brandon1992
  • Brandon1992

AKA BBoldt

• Members

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:05 AM

CD/DVD Special Edition cover
user posted image

Here Is a Gorillaz interview from Q magazine that just came out.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Information from the Q magazine interview

- about Noodle, after the El Manana vid 'there was no sign of her at the video site' so he collected some of her DNA from the wreckage
- Murdoc learnt that Noodle was in hell and he did go there to try and rescue her. But he did not find her in hell and had to come back.
- the Noodle we see now is an android replica built using her DNA
- Kong was officially burnt down by Murdoc in an insurance scam in July 2009. But he had some of it shipped to Plastic Beach
- Murdoc got involved in a pyramid scheme and gun running and lost a lot of money, so needed to make a new album
- he chose Point Nemo in the Pacific ocean as a good spot to hide out
- the article says all of The Horrors are Murdoc's children, by different mothers
- Murdoc says he stole Damon's work-in-progress for Damon's project Carousel and used it to help write Plastic Beach
- the article says Noodle had an "accident" at the NYC shows when a lighting rig fell on her, they are not sure if Paula Cracker did it or if Jacob (Niccals) did it
- Murdoc does NOT say Russel died, HOWEVER, Russel is not mentioned in the article apart from going missing after the NYC shows and it specifically says 2D, android Noodle and Murdoc are on Plastic Beach, giving descriptions of them. The article says 'Russel is missing in action, Murdoc had to program the drums himself'.

& here are a couple of videos from Plastic Beach being worked on:
http://news.qthemusi...laz_videos.html

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:59 PM Edited by gamesguru, 28 January 2010 - 06:20 PM.

Thanks for the heads-up Brandon icon14.gif .
I'll add a news section later when I get the time and include the scans and the link to the studio videos provided.

Cheers!
EDIT: Updated the front page with an in-depth news section with even more new info; check it out!

Brandon1992
  • Brandon1992

AKA BBoldt

• Members

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:30 PM Edited by Brandon1992, 28 January 2010 - 06:41 PM.

Check these out, they are on youtube now, awesome.

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

Indeed they are, however you already provided a link with them in, nice to know they are now up on YouTube though. I'm going to leave the link to the actual video source(s) on the front page, it supports the outlet that way.

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

Kong was officially burnt down by Murdoc in an insurance scam in July 2009.

I didnt do it!

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

That Q Magazine feature was really interesting. I'm really ecstatic for this album's release now, sounds like it's going to be amazing.

Brandon1992
  • Brandon1992

AKA BBoldt

• Members

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:38 AM

Japanese Cover biggrin.gif

user posted image

gamesguru
  • gamesguru

Gone Fishing

• Angels of Death MC
  • England
  • Best Writer 2010

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:19 PM Edited by gamesguru, 31 January 2010 - 04:08 PM.

I updated the front page with some more news including the Japanese Editions.

EDIT: New Article & Remix added to the news section.......

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:47 AM

Defintely jazzed they are putting out one more, it was widely circulated at one point that Demon Days was to be their last studio album so this is very welcome news, indeed.

Quite uniquely one of my favorites across all music genres.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

One of my favorite musical acts of all time, I nearly shat myself when I initially learned that they were planning another album. Clint Eastwood was actually the song that brought me into the world of Hip-Hop, it's also funny since November Has Come was the song that put me onto underground Hip-Hop in the first place as well (the two songs featuring verses by Del Tha Funky Homosapian and MF Doom respectively). The Gorillaz damn near define my music tastes and this new album is sure to be absolute gold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users