Photo

Street Names

6 replies to this topic
Truestory242
  • Truestory242

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

Not sure if this has been brought up before.

After examining the street map of Liberty City, I began to notice many patterns in street names in the different boroughs:

In Broker, EW streets are named after famous Cowboys. NS streets are named after American Indian tribes.

In Dukes, EW streets are named after leaders in the American Revolution. NS streets are named after Revolutionary war battles.

In Bohan, EW streets are named after break dance moves. NS streets are named after prisons.

In Algonquin, EW streets are named after minerals, gems and metals. NS streets are named after American cities, usually, but not always, state capitals.

In Alderney, there are a few naming schemes:

I could not find one clear pattern in the industrial district. There are many roads named after mechanical parts (grommet, mandrel, plumbbob.). There are also roads named after types of soldiers such as praetorian and musketeer. Musketeer could also be a reference to the Three Musketeers candy bar, which would explain Nougat st. Others, such as red wing, trinity, and ranger, could be references to hockey teams, but I'm not sure.

North of the industrial district and up to the Booth Tunnel, roads are named after famous inventors and in some cases tools, such as fulcrum and anvil.

Between the Booth Tunnel and the Hickey Bridge, roads are named after cult leaders.

North of the Hickey Bridge, roads are named after mountains.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

You think too much. tounge.gif

scissorunner
  • scissorunner

• Members

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:02 AM

^Not enough people think this much.

Nice finds TC! I love details like this.

Hydro_PT
  • Hydro_PT

THE S.T.A.L.KE.R.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Yep, you think too much. tounge.gif

I didn't really notice so far the names of the streets, and since they look to be related to American culture... it's normal I don't recognize the names.

But Rockstar always plays with the names, so it's not a big surprise. When I heard that every street in LC would have its own name, I thought: hmm you'll have some work there Rockstar. Surprise us with good names. tounge.gif

SuperJude
  • SuperJude

Lifelong fan of the number "42"

• D1RTY12
  • None

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Okay, here's an interesting one. In Alderny, there is the Catskill st (or avenue, not sure) as well as Panhandle Road.

In the Castskill Mountains, near Woodstock NY, there is a popular little road which runs up to the Ashokan Reservior named Panhandle Road.

˸
  • ˸

KGB agent

• Members

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:12 AM

I thought all New York streets are numbered? Like in Dushanbe.

Truestory242
  • Truestory242

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

Nope, not all of them. A good number of the roads are numbers, but there are a lot that have actual names too. I just depends on what part of New York you're looking at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users