Photo

AFL Discussion

65 replies to this topic
GammaRaptor
  • GammaRaptor

The Phenomenal One

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

I know there is a few aussies on this forum. Anyways this thread is to discuss about the upcoming AFL season and wanted to get views on this season. I personally think fremantle might have a crack at the prem this year having some new talent from the wafl would boost their experience a bit. As for wce i don't think they'd have a chance prob the worst team in the league atm.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=267374

GammaRaptor
  • GammaRaptor

The Phenomenal One

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

Thats all australian sports this is just a single discussion solely based on AFL nothing else.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (GammaRaptor @ Jan 18 2009, 21:13)
Thats all australian sports

Yeah, including Australian rules football.

It's not too tricky to comprehend.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (GammaRaptor @ Jan 18 2009, 21:09)
I know there is a few aussies on this forum. Anyways this thread is to discuss about the upcoming AFL season and wanted to get views on this season. I personally think fremantle might have a crack at the prem this year having some new talent from the wafl would boost their experience a bit. As for wce i don't think they'd have a chance prob the worst team in the league atm.

lol

Seeing as you mentioned just the two western teams I guess you're from WA? And if you are from WA, then you'd know Freo will not be challenging for the premiership and West Coast aren't the worst team in the league.

Melbourne/Essendon/St. Kilda will be vying for the wooden spoon this year I believe. With Hawthorn/Geelong/Carlton fighting it out for the number 1 spot.

ps. you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Freo won't be getting new talent from the WAFL as they'll be using the new players they drafted or have got in recent years. Why would they pick players from the WAFL who are clearly not good enough to join the AFL? And why would it add experience?

Sorry mate, but you don't have a clue.

TommyAngelo
  • TommyAngelo

figure

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

Typical Carlton supporter. tounge.gif

Honestly I see Geelong winning it this year, they should of last year, they just had a sh*tty grand final.

As for the team I support, Melbourne...well bottom three for sure, unless a miracle happens.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:24 AM

I keep forgetting that AFL is Aussie rules rather than soccer which is the A-League. No matter how much Justin tries to educate me I screw it up tounge.gif

It's rare that Australian football makes it on TV here, but it's pretty cool. I'd like a chance to see it a little more.

GammaRaptor
  • GammaRaptor

The Phenomenal One

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:41 AM Edited by GammaRaptor, 19 January 2009 - 02:44 AM.

I hear americans have their own afl teams over there hehe or is it canada one of the two anyways. But Freo is gunna be #1 this year (im a mad freo supporter and have been since their step into the league in 1995) and AFL is a lot tougher and rougher than NFL also NFL doesnt have high flying marks and now players can do so much in the air its insane.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:04 AM

The AFL acronym here is commonly associated with the Arena Football League which is a form of American Football played on a field the size of an indoor hockey rink.

Aussie football is sort of rare here. It has enough common elements with American football that I wonder if it could catch on here.

kam11
  • kam11

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

. Anyways this thread is to discuss about the upcoming AFL season and wanted to get views on this season. I personally think fremantle might have a crack at the prem this year having some new talent from the wafl would boost their experience a bit. As for wce i don't think they

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Maverick. @ Jan 19 2009, 01:03)

lol

Seeing as you mentioned just the two western teams I guess you're from WA? And if you are from WA, then you'd know Freo will not be challenging for the premiership and West Coast aren't the worst team in the league.

Melbourne/Essendon/St. Kilda will be vying for the wooden spoon this year I believe. With Hawthorn/Geelong/Carlton fighting it out for the number 1 spot.

ps. you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Freo won't be getting new talent from the WAFL as they'll be using the new players they drafted or have got in recent years. Why would they pick players from the WAFL who are clearly not good enough to join the AFL? And why would it add experience?

LOL! Your a complete moron. St Kilda made the prelim last year and have been in finals series 4 of the last 5 years with 3 Preliminary Finals... last time Carlton made the finals was 2000. Read the stat books and know that you'll come 9th-13th and st. kilda will come 3rd-7th. Carlton fans are so god damn arrogant and stupid. Hand on a bible i tell you that once a carlton fan in 2001 when the saints were smashing them said "If we were playing a better team we'd be up by 10 goals". Grow some perspective and count the last couple of wooden spoons you got. Oh btw gotta thank you for Brendan Goddard with that salary cap breach. icon14.gif

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

Um, it isn't like Carlton have had their thumbs up their asses over the past year doing the same old sh*t that got them those wooden spoons. You're acting as if they're the same bullsh*t team they've been throughout the 00s.

Crows. Now there is a consistently mediocre team.

TommyAngelo
  • TommyAngelo

figure

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

Crow's are terrible.

Sorry Jay. tounge.gif

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

None taken.

Say anything about Port and I'll cut you.

TommyAngelo
  • TommyAngelo

figure

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I hate Port, I follow a team that finished last, last year, so I can't say anything.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Rachinator @ Feb 9 2009, 21:44)
QUOTE (Maverick. @ Jan 19 2009, 01:03)

lol

LOL! Your a complete moron. St Kilda made the prelim last year and have been in finals series 4 of the last 5 years with 3 Preliminary Finals... last time Carlton made the finals was 2000. Read the stat books and know that you'll come 9th-13th and st. kilda will come 3rd-7th. Carlton fans are so god damn arrogant and stupid. Hand on a bible i tell you that once a carlton fan in 2001 when the saints were smashing them said "If we were playing a better team we'd be up by 10 goals". Grow some perspective and count the last couple of wooden spoons you got. Oh btw gotta thank you for Brendan Goddard with that salary cap breach. icon14.gif

Now my turn you moron!

You can make all the prelimination finals you want, but the fact still remains St. Kilda has done absolutely sh*t all. They've won 1 premiership in over 100 years! Not to mention the 23 wooden spoons you've won. I'll happily take our 3 spoons and 16 cups over that you wanker.

I suppose you did have that amazing run of 11 straight wins! You guys brought out a DVD for that didn't you? Must be bloody proud!

Oh and to make you look like the complete twat you are. Not only did we make the finals in 2001, we beat you both times we played you.

Carlton 17.23 (125) St Kilda 14.8 (92) Optus Oval 24,385 Saturday, 28 April 2001

St Kilda 16.8 (104) Carlton 22.16 (148) Colonial Stadium 34,521 Sunday, 19 August 2001

Hand on the bible hey? Looks like you're going to hell...

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:41 AM

Ah true my mistake i was thinking of the year 2002 (St Kilda 14.5 (89)Carlton 10.5 (65) Colonial Stadium, 33,359, Saturday, 30 March) (Carlton 14.13 (97) St Kilda 22.8 (140) Colonial Stadium 33,813 Sunday,21 July) not 2001. But still your arguments are incredibly biased and while it is football. 1: Carlton will not win the premiership because of a lack of seasoned players, a coach who is in his like 2nd or 3rd year, a group of players who haven't gel'd as a team yet and because its not their time at the moment. 2: St Kilda are one of the premier teams in the competition at the moment. We were top 4 and made the preliminary final and had to play both grand finalists in the finals series which is a tall order for any team. The team works well as a group and have got a good mix of young and middle aged (Footballing sense) and had a strong record of 13-9 while the wooden spooner Melbourne had a record of 3-19. While i believe occasionally that Carlton have been kicked while their down enough in the last 6 years you cant seriously believe that you'll win the flag this year when you haven't been in finals in 6 years?.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (Rachinator @ Feb 11 2009, 16:41)
Ah true my mistake i was thinking of the year 2002 (St Kilda 14.5 (89)Carlton 10.5 (65) Colonial Stadium, 33,359, Saturday, 30 March) (Carlton 14.13 (97) St Kilda 22.8 (140) Colonial Stadium 33,813 Sunday,21 July)  not 2001. But still your arguments are incredibly biased and while it is football. 1: Carlton will not win the premiership because of a lack of seasoned players, a coach who is in his like 2nd or 3rd year, a group of players who haven't gel'd as a team yet and because its not their time at the moment. 2: St Kilda are one of the premier teams in the competition at the moment. We were top 4 and made the preliminary final and had to play both grand finalists in the finals series which is a tall order for any team. The team works well as a group and have got a good mix of young and middle aged (Footballing sense) and had a strong record of 13-9 while the wooden spooner Melbourne had a record of 3-19. While i believe occasionally that Carlton have been kicked while their down enough in the last 6 years you cant seriously believe that you'll win the flag this year when you haven't been in finals in 6 years?.

Where on earth did I say Carlton will win the premiership this year?

I said they'd be contending for the number 1 spot. I know Hawthorn and Geelong will be up there. But from then on, there isn't many who are really capable of competeing with them. Carlton showed alot of promise last season and another pre-season for Judd (who didn't have one last year), Murphy, Gibbs will certainly bolster their capabilities. Add in that, Fevola (one of the best forwards in the comp) and a backline which is vastly superior to previous seasons and you have Carlton up the top!

St. Kilda are perennial under-acheivers. You promise so much and deliver so little. You've got one of the most talented sides in the league and yet have dont SFA. If any team doesn't 'gel' right, it'd have to be St. Kilda. What else would explain the years of disappointment?

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:20 AM

Were talking about these days. Were a great team at the moment were one of the best performing other than Geelong and Hawks. Dude we wont come last this year and accept it stats read it out and there is no way were worse than melbourne or west coast or... well i'd say another under performing team of recent times but that might make you sad biggrin.gif

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Rachinator @ Feb 11 2009, 20:20)
Were talking about these days. Were a great team at the moment were one of the best performing other than Geelong and Hawks. Dude we wont come last this year and accept it stats read it out and there is no way were worse than melbourne or west coast or... well i'd say another under performing team of recent times but that might make you sad biggrin.gif

Well if we're talking about 'these days' then why bring Carlton's past into it?

And stats can't predict the future. Unless you know something I don't...

Fact is, St. Kilda promise alot, yet deliver nothing. Maybe they and it's supporters accept mediocricy?

As far as I'm concerned, anything but winning the premiership is a failure.

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:20 AM

Thats highly glass is half empty talk there. Geelong are a great team but they lost the grand final doesnt mean they completely suck. Just cos were not arrogant as hell doesnt mean we accept mediocrity. I get damn pissed when we lose... but thats not often you see. Deal with it, at the moment St Kilda are one of the best. Carlton are in the jungle at the moment... not being raped by tribesmen like they were in 2004-07 but not out of the woods yet. tounge.gif

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (Rachinator @ Feb 11 2009, 21:20)
Thats highly glass is half empty talk there. Geelong are a great team but they lost the grand final doesnt mean they completely suck. Just cos were not arrogant as hell doesnt mean we accept mediocrity. I get damn pissed when we lose... but thats not often you see. Deal with it, at the moment St Kilda are one of the best. Carlton are in the jungle at the moment... not being raped by tribesmen like they were in 2004-07 but not out of the woods yet. tounge.gif

The way I see it is that every team enters each new season aiming to win the premiership. That's the goal.

If you don't win, then you've failed. Doesn't mean you suck, you've failed your goal.

Not being pessimistic, just realistic.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

Thoughts on Rhys O'Keefe, Maverick.?

He's my boy IRL.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

Very happy that we picked up ROK.

Didn't think he'd fall that low in the draft tbh. Could be one of the great gets of 2008.

Excellent kick on him (one of the best in the draft imo), fair size for his age, and pretty fast aswell. Just looks very smooth and comfortable on the field. That's just my take on it though. Going by watching some of the rep. games + videos.

What does he reckon about being drafted to Carlton?

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

I didnt know Carlton got Ryan O Keefe. Jesus everyone falls to you cos you have media deals for later on. Oh well a good pick up... kinda reminds me of Adam Schneider the previous year. Don't know why Sydney wouldn't want him.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (Maverick. @ Feb 12 2009, 09:46)

He's stoked to be out of Adelaide. And training with people like Judd is amazing for him. Also, I think going to Carlton as opposed to... Adelaide... he'll probably get a go much earlier. Look at Gibbs and how many games he played before turning 20. I wouldn't be surprised if Rhys gets a game this year.

Yeah I know first hand just how f*cking huge he is, his family and my family spend Australia day up the river and it is a non-stop football/cricket/watersports extravaganza. He spanked the sh*t out of me at basically everything. That was mainly because he took it more seriously, but he did it in good spirits. I remember a time I was taller than him. And had larger biceps. Heh.

@Rach: Rhys, not Ryan.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE (Jay @ Feb 12 2009, 15:21)
QUOTE (Maverick. @ Feb 12 2009, 09:46)

He's stoked to be out of Adelaide. And training with people like Judd is amazing for him. Also, I think going to Carlton as opposed to... Adelaide... he'll probably get a go much earlier. Look at Gibbs and how many games he played before turning 20. I wouldn't be surprised if Rhys gets a game this year.

Yeah I know first hand just how f*cking huge he is, his family and my family spend Australia day up the river and it is a non-stop football/cricket/watersports extravaganza. He spanked the sh*t out of me at basically everything. That was mainly because he took it more seriously, but he did it in good spirits. I remember a time I was taller than him. And had larger biceps. Heh.

@Rach: Rhys, not Ryan.

Yeah, I'd imagine joining a team like Carlton at the stage it's at would be very exciting. Lots of young players with plenty of talent, so they'll all hit their peak around the same time.

Not to mention being around arguably the best player in the comp, and numerous number 1 picks providing plenty of support + tips.

Rhys seems like he could be pushing for selection quite early and I'd be surprised if he didn't get a couple of games this year (if not more).

Thanks for the insight Jay. Really appreciate it. If you hear anything more from him I'd love to hear it smile.gif .

Stefan.
  • Stefan.

OG

• Members

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

Three of the leading players from our school last year ended up being drafted; Ashley Smith, Tyrone Vickery and Tom Lynch (who was Captain of the 1st XVIII). I don't know them personally but I remember seeing them around, sort of. Pretty cool that they got drafted though. icon14.gif

My tips for the ladder this year:

1) Geelong
2) Western Bulldogs
3) Hawthorn
4) Collingwood
5) Richmond
6) Carlton
7) Brisbane Lions
8) Essendon
9) St. Kilda
10) North Melbourne
11) Port Adelaide
12) Adelaide
13) Sydney Swans
14) Fremantle
15) West Coast Eagles
16) Melbourne

We should start a betting competition for the Home and Away season; it should be good. icon14.gif

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

Man everyone's a little harsh on St Kilda here what gives you justification that they wont make the finals? If a team makes a prelim their gonna do better than 9th i think. People just rag on St Kilda cos they used to suck in the 80's but like... these days with the draft and with the likes of Dal Santo, Riewoldt, Hayes, Montagna, taking the midfield and forward line roles and with the return of Maguire to help out Fisher and Max there is no reasonable justification to consider them not finals contenders. But then again... Richmond 5th? Bulldogs 2nd...? North 10th... Bulldogs arent better than Hawthorn or they wouldn't have been thumped in the Qualifying, Richmond havent been in finals since 2001 when they got to the Prelim against Brisbane, and despite the addition of Cousins they will come 9th again... a possibility of 8th but not 5th their not Adelaide quality. And people seem to be forgetting North as they always do... a very unlucky turn of events for them last year which led 4th spot to fall to the saints after the Essendon demolition but if they had beat the Power they would've had 2 consecutive 4th place finishes so why would they drop as far as 10th? AFL Trends will stay as they are teams dont just drop off like that unless there is a really dramatic change in their list or staff.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:39 AM

I remember in 04 when St. Kilda had that great team (on paper) then lost that heart-stoppingly close final at AAMI.

A team of all-stars beaten by an all-star team. Aha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users