» «
Photo

Liberty City

38 replies to this topic
yess
  • yess

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:03 AM Edited by yess, 17 January 2009 - 11:39 AM.

GTAIII set in Liberty city, GTAIV set in Liberty city, 2 times DLC set in Liberty city.
And now they say that if the DLC is a succes GTAIV.1 will be set in Liberty city.

http://kotaku.com/51...-auto-v-in-2009

Is it just me or is there a scratch in the record.
How about something new

The BigSlick
  • The BigSlick

Trick

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

thats DLC for you

Nico Bellic
  • Nico Bellic

Well...Since you've put it that way...i'm in.

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

you forgot LCS tounge.gif

Guanxi
  • Guanxi

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Nico Bellic @ Jan 17 2009, 11:46)
you forgot LCS tounge.gif

GTA
GTA III
GTA: Advance
GTA: LCS
GTA IV
GTA: CTW
etc.

I am not buying any more gta games set in Liberty City. Period. Not CTW not even GTA V if set in LC. I've literally reached my saturation point with it and if they continue to recycle it every generation and on every platform I think ultimately it will lead to the death of the series AND the developer.

When I say period. I mean it. Including "Damned".

I have an Xbox 360 and am clearly a massive gta fanbot but even I am struggling to find enthusiasm or the point for expansion packs to a year old game that I was marginally disappointed with the first time around, essentially because it doesn't appear to address what MOST of us agree was fundamentally flawed about the game;

More than enough, possibly even too much story/repetitive formulaic drive here kill that missions than you could practically shake a stick at, while in fact very little-else and they are simply proving more of this in droves.

Liberty City/NYC just feels safe and cushy - it's just not interesting anymore because they and others have parodied it so much and so well and anther Vice City will likely share its fate.

nufc-niko
  • nufc-niko

nufc-niko

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

Yeah. They should have come up with something new, or at least different. Why not a brand new world. That would be good... colgate.gif

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

I dont mind re-visiting LC because everytime i re-visit it it has always a different feeling

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

Chocolate

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]
    Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

Just because the name is the same doesn't mean the city is the same. GTA4's LC is nothing like GTA3's LC. Rockstar could've named this new city as anything but they chose Liberty City.

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

If anybody wants to have a different perspective and understand LC, VC, SA is GTA (they are more the stars of this game than the characters themselves), by all means read:

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=390516

And funny:

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=392173

I doubt the next game will take place in Liberty (they wouldn't do the saints row thing... which is really a weaker version of the GTA thing I explain all through those topics) Am I right? Maybe, maybe not. But continuing with these three locations is the most logical, most plausible, and most intelligent thing they can do... for many reasons...

To that guy who said he's not buying another liberty based game, read those topics, you will either change your mind or feel insulted tounge.gif Niether of which is a goal of them, I just think many miss the bigger picture, and with GTA, indeed it is a big pictuere.....

xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

I don't mind having a lot of GTA games that take place in Liberty City. Although, I think they need to give another city a chance. And anyway, they wouldn't make GTA V take place in Liberty City. That would be too boring then. Besides, they already made a next-gen Liberty City. Now, we need a next-gen Vice City, San Andreas or some other city that hasn't been seen yet.

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

I want a return to Anywhere City. Either that, or London or Carcer.

LitoBX
  • LitoBX

Savage Rebel

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

Jesus stop making accounts and being a cry baby.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

I have a feeling after CTW we wont see another GTA in LC for a long time.

I really hope they don't keep whoring it out, because while I like LC there's so many NY themed games it gets rather tiresome.

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

What's CTW? No worries, other than little games on portables, you won't need to see Liberty again until V wink.gif

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

CTW= ChinaTown Wars. wink.gif

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

ha, I was coming to edit! I figured it out per the forum index happy.gif Thanks though smile.gif

I think you will love Liberty as you see it evolve! It will be way better than waiting years of location research for each new game too, plus, it's just, no one else ever did it like this, kudos R* North and Houser Boys icon14.gif

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

American MuSScle Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:22 AM Edited by the7ftmidget, 18 January 2009 - 01:25 AM.

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Jan 17 2009, 16:55)

I really hope they don't keep whoring it out, because while I like LC there's so many NY themed games it gets rather tiresome.

Exactly! I aslo hate how almost all NY based crime oriented games have to have the italian mafia in it. It's all played out.

We need change. Change we can believe in. sign-clinton.gif

Foliage
  • Foliage

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:49 AM Edited by Foliage, 18 January 2009 - 02:01 AM.

If they truly wanted something different it should have been in the future, and in a made-up setting. The whole hype of the words "Things Will Be Different" was misleading and brainwashing. But they knew they had nothing in the game, that's why they released hardly any information or screenshots pre-release. They knew if they released anything the whole game would have been given away to the pubic because there's so little in it.

I can't believe GTA IV is the second highest rated game on TopTenReviews, the highest on MobyGames, and the second highest on Metacritic. Of all games, ever. Doesn't that seem a little f*cking weird..

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:02 AM

Things are different. On many levels. And it beats the hell out of GTA III - the only game it was set to success. And it beats the hell out of vice city too. IF you don't agree, then you obviously have not played Vice City in years... load it up, get sick, go back to playing IV... lol...

They expected their fans to see this. They expected their fans to be amazed. We are. For the most part. But some lack vision entirely and probably started playing the game after san andreas was out. They will never understand. It's way bigger than what you just typed, and I suppose ignorance isn't bliss in this occasion.

No, it doesn't seem weird that it is number one, either. Do you know how many people ONLY play GTA? There are more GTA Only players than any game at all has players, let alone all of the players of other games AND gta. Do I have numbers, no. But you have ratings and #1 spots to make it obvious... GTA is like a movie, man. Games can't touch it. That's why the first thing you hear in GTA IV is DADDY's BACK YOU BITCHES!!!!

Foliage
  • Foliage

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:14 AM Edited by Foliage, 18 January 2009 - 02:16 AM.

QUOTE (chngdman @ Jan 18 2009, 02:02)
Things are different. On many levels. And it beats the hell out of GTA III - the only game it was set to success. And it beats the hell out of vice city too. IF you don't agree, then you obviously have not played Vice City in years... load it up, get sick, go back to playing IV... lol...

They expected their fans to see this. They expected their fans to be amazed. We are. For the most part. But some lack vision entirely and probably started playing the game after san andreas was out. They will never understand. It's way bigger than what you just typed, and I suppose ignorance isn't bliss in this occasion.

No, it doesn't seem weird that it is number one, either. Do you know how many people ONLY play GTA? There are more GTA Only players than any game at all has players, let alone all of the players of other games AND gta. Do I have numbers, no. But you have ratings and #1 spots to make it obvious... GTA is like a movie, man. Games can't touch it. That's why the first thing you hear in GTA IV is DADDY's BACK YOU BITCHES!!!!

Nope, I played VC first. I got it in 2003, played it to 2004. Then I got SA in 2004, played it to 2008. Then I got III in 2005, played it to 2008. Then GTA IV, in 2008, obviously.

xNamexTakenx
  • xNamexTakenx

Demonik

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (the7ftmidget @ Jan 17 2009, 21:22)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Jan 17 2009, 16:55)

Exactly! I aslo hate how almost all NY based crime oriented games have to have the italian mafia in it. It's all played out.

Its because the NY Five Families play a major role in NYC. Besides, NY has the most powerful Mafia, compared to other US cities.

Like IGN said, the Grand Theft Auto series are like Martin Scorsese films. And they're right!

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:47 AM

This is kind of like complaining too many movies and TV shows are set in New York.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

American MuSScle Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:56 AM

f*ck NY and the mafia! Who cares if they're all "big" and stuff... it's gotten stale. I want a GTA that goes outside of America... I've seen it all, so anything American will just be redundent... GTA Tokyo would be hot sh*t...

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (the7ftmidget @ Jan 18 2009, 02:56)
f*ck NY and the mafia! Who cares if they're all "big" and stuff... it's gotten stale. I want a GTA that goes outside of America... I've seen it all, so anything American will just be redundent... GTA Tokyo would be hot sh*t...

Anything outside of america will not be understood by anyone but the people in the place it is set.

Americans do not understand london, tokyo, any of that sh*t or their comedy or their stereotypes.

Not only is america a melting pot of many cultures, but the whole world relates to and understands the parts of us that can be made fun of. And to make a GTA game a real GTA game, it needs to parody Hollywood and Stereotypes. You can't do that on a level the whole world would enjoy like you can in LC, VC, SA.

No, it's not stale, and you miss the whole foundation of the series to even say that tounge.gif

It would be nice for them to use this engine on totally different IPs and go all over the world and have a blast, but GTA is Liberty, Vice, San, and it is that way for a very good reason: Those places are the only places Everyone can relate to or at least laugh at.

The only jokes you can make about London that an American would understand is jokes about tea and the queen of england. Done to death. No, we'll stay in Liberty, Vice, San.

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:24 AM Edited by Magic_Al, 18 January 2009 - 03:27 AM.

QUOTE (the7ftmidget @ Jan 17 2009, 20:56)

But it might not be intelligent or funny. GTA is a parody of American (and UK) culture. I don't expect Rockstar writers in New York and artists in Scotland to riff about stuff they don't know. People ignore that problem when they suggest GTAs in other countries.

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

Magic_Al, I'm your new girlfriend. Do you want me on the cot or in the shower later inlove.gif

Speak that truth!

Shof
  • Shof

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Jan 17 2009, 22:24)
QUOTE (the7ftmidget @ Jan 17 2009, 20:56)

But it might not be intelligent or funny. GTA is a parody of American (and UK) culture. I don't expect Rockstar writers in New York and artists in Scotland to riff about stuff they don't know. People ignore that problem when they suggest GTAs in other countries.

imagine the main character wearing a kilt ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:31 AM

If GTA were to go outside of America it would most likely be London.

A GTA in Tokyo would be pretty cool, but the language barrier would be hard to overcome.

I say leave it in America, but go to somewhere new like Chicago, Detroit, or Boston.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

American MuSScle Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

Well then, R* should make a GTA with a modern VC, or some other big city with a lot of social diversity. But even you guys can't disagree: NY is old... only NY people or people who love it uncondicionally would say otherwise.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

Dan Houser has gone on the record as saying that Liberty City (III) was never meant to be a true representation of New York City, rather a parody of the east coast in general. Liberty City (IV), however, stays true to the feel of New York City. Something he explains in more detail in the interview, which you can read here.

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Jan 18 2009, 03:31)
I say leave it in America, but go to somewhere new like Chicago, Detroit, or Boston.

See, that is what most say, but even that will not work the way we love it to in the games we already have. There's not many movies to parody in those locations, there's not many celebrities living there to kill (like killing the will smith ped in SA, feed the fishes) or say "were spotted at the cluckin bell in Vinewood" doing stuff only R* would write, there's no huge cultural mess like San, Vice, and Liberty all have in their real life counterparts. There's not 90 billion chicago movies. There's like 2. I'm Exaggerating Conservatively tounge.gif

There's just not enough material, even in other american cities, to make really good full-sized satires. They could make shorter games in those places, but they wouldn't come with nearly as many jokes and movie references etc as the three "home" locations already do.

I absolutely agree 100 percent about foreign speaking countries. And not only that, as I stated, America does not understand foreign humour the same way that not only does abroad understand our humour, but they also can take the piss at us way better than we can of them. The main audience of video games (read: most sales) are in the USA. And since the USA (admittedly) is culturally dumb, especially with the sarcastic stereotypes of other places, it wouldn't be wise to take a shot at "teaching us" what's funny or cliche in other places - let some Entertainment Renaissance do that like it always does, GTA revolutionizes enough tounge.gif

Maybe one day there will be a smart enough majority that people like me who enjoy great shows like IT crowd and classics like Benny Hill can see R* take the piss on London, but right now, it just isn't smart.

Not to mention Liberty comes first for generics, Vice adds palms and other things the north east does not have, and all of those assets are used to lessen time on the larger San Andreas that needs even more generics like cactus. Doing L, V, S, in that order, is by design, and for better workflow wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users