Photo

GTA:SA Freezing Problem Even After Reinstall

4 replies to this topic
BobbyBalboa
  • BobbyBalboa

BadAssBob

• Members

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

I'm running GTA:SA on Windows Vista (version 1.00), I made some mistakes modding the game causing the game to freeze on a black screen after the load screen on starting a new game or loading an existing game. I was stupid and over-confident enough to edit quite a few .DAT files, and replace a load of .DFFs, and .TXDs at one time without making back-ups (I've done this 1000x before on XP on my old PC with no problems).

Now even after I reinstall the game, the exact same thing happens. I uninstalled and reinstalled, leaving the newly installed game 100% untouched by me, no mods, no tweaks, nothing. But I can't get past the black screen that the game freezes on after the load screen. I Ctrl Alt Delete, and open the task manager which says "not Responding" and I have to "End Task".

Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this problem? Any help or advice would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance!!

trab
  • trab

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

I am having the same problem you are having, doesnt even matter if i reinstalled it in a new directory. Anyways i went threw it and found what was causing mine to crash and got the game to load finally, and for some reason all my old .dff and .txd replacements are still in game. But now im having problems getting ENB series to work right. AHHHH if you figure out something let me know.

BobbyBalboa
  • BobbyBalboa

BadAssBob

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:21 PM Edited by BobbyBalboa, 17 January 2009 - 08:18 PM.

QUOTE (trab @ Jan 17 2009, 13:09)
I am having the same problem you are having, doesnt even matter if i reinstalled it in a new directory. Anyways i went threw it and found what was causing mine to crash and got the game to load finally, and for some reason all my old .dff and .txd replacements are still in game. But now im having problems getting ENB series to work right. AHHHH if you figure out something let me know.

Sorry, don't think I can help!! Sounds like your problems are far worse than mine. It turns out my problem was solvable by simply running the game in compatability mode for WinXP SP2 and ticking the box "run as administrator" on the desktop shortcut to the game. I thought my problem was caused by modding because I played it once, closed it, modded it and it then wouldn't run. But apparently a lot of people running the game on Vista said they could run the game once for a few minutes, it crashed and the wouldn't run properly again!

My only real problem now is that the game goes completely unaffected by TXD and DFF replacements I make using IMG tool, and the mouse occasionally freezes but to fix it I just have to reload a saved game or minimize and re-open the game.

Good luck with getting the ENB series to work, trab!!

EDIT: Actually when you mentioned it I went to try and get ENB to work. I just get the message, "this application has failed to start because d3dx9_26.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Is this what happens to you?

trab
  • trab

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:46 AM

No not really. Sounds like u need to reinstall DX9 though... biggrin.gif

640509-040147
  • 640509-040147

Coder, Mapper, Re-Texturer, Modeler, Gamer...... LIAR!

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Which edition of Vista are you using. If it is not ultimate, I'd recommend it, since more users have problems with Home edition. Also reinstalling DirectX drivers may help fix the problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users