Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA CTW cleared for UK, no censoring.

6 replies to this topic
The Horror Is Alive
  • The Horror Is Alive

Monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:17 PM Edited by The Horror Is Alive, 16 January 2009 - 12:19 PM.

Contains very strong language and drug references

Again, they don't mention the violence. What, you can't kill people in this game?

Also, 18 is a very strong rating. I can't believe Nintendo would let it though mercie_blink.gif I've especially noticed that Nintendo doesn't like swearing on their systems much. Even the Gordan Ramsey game was cut down to minimums. This game must be really pushing the boundaries.

No censoring was done.

n/a GRAND THEFT AUTO: CHINATOWN WARS
02:00:00:00 SUPPLEMENTARY CUTSCENES (APPROX)
00:48:00:00 SUPPLEMENTARY GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE (APPROX)
Total footage run time: 2hr, 48min.

Source

This also proves that there's only 48 minutes of cutscene footage. If there's the standard 75-100 missions, then that's only 30 seconds of cutscene approximately per mission. Very fast talking, anyone? Or maybe it's just text, like GTA Advance.

QwertyAAA
  • QwertyAAA

Ceci n'est pas une pipe, c'est le logo de Rockstar

• Members

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (The Horror Is Alive @ Jan 16 2009, 12:17)
Contains very strong language and drug references

Again, they don't mention the violence. What, you can't kill people in this game?

Also, 18 is a very strong rating. I can't believe Nintendo would let it though mercie_blink.gif I've especially noticed that Nintendo doesn't like swearing on their systems much. Even the Gordan Ramsey game was cut down to minimums. This game must be really pushing the boundaries.

No censoring was done.

n/a GRAND THEFT AUTO: CHINATOWN WARS
02:00:00:00 SUPPLEMENTARY CUTSCENES (APPROX)
00:48:00:00 SUPPLEMENTARY GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE (APPROX)
Total footage run time: 2hr, 48min.

Source

This also proves that there's only 48 minutes of cutscene footage. If there's the standard 75-100 missions, then that's only 30 seconds of cutscene approximately per mission. Very fast talking, anyone? Or maybe it's just text, like GTA Advance.

I'm quite sure that R* just played the game for 48 minutes, recorded it, then added two hours of cutscenes from random parts of the game. You seem to have missed that.

The Horror Is Alive
  • The Horror Is Alive

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

sh*t you're right. I got the times mixed up tounge.gif

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

That's good news. Though I didn't really have any doubts about Nintendo allowing an 18+ game onto it's system. I'm pretty sure they were the ones who commissioned the game, am I right?

GTASIX
  • GTASIX

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:53 PM

Is nintendo strictly against violent games on their systems or something? If not then of course they accepted GTA, its a big money maker.

The Horror Is Alive
  • The Horror Is Alive

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:28 AM

They used to be...

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (GTASIX @ Jan 21 2009, 08:53)
Is nintendo strictly against violent games on their systems or something? If not then of course they accepted GTA, its a big money maker.

Nintendo has been very guarded about "mature" content (violence, sex, drugs etc.) in games they license for their systems. They used to be downright draconian about it in the NES era, but this was when they had monopolized the game market, at least in the US and some other markets.

One turning point was when an uncensored Mortal Kombat II was released for the Super NES in 1994. Before that, any violent games were usually toned down, such as the first MK on the SNES and the NARC arcade port for the NES which also had the drugs element of that game censored. The Final Fantasy releases omitted some of the sexual innuendo present in the original Japanese versions.

Nintendo will bend its rules for a big seller though, and I don't think they'd have dealt with Rockstar if they didn't want a big seller and that's what the goal is for CW. Nintendo has tried to keep it oldschool before, playing to the younger crowd and resisting disc media in favor of cartridges and it cost them their spot on top of the game hardware makers' world. It took the Wii to bring them back.

I'm thinking if this is successful it could not only start a new series of sorts on the DS but also possibly a Wii exclusive and new take on GTA using the Wiimote. I wonder how that would go over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users