» «
Photo

A Theory on Rockstar's Apalling Silence

181 replies to this topic
Goatman455
  • Goatman455

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:34 PM Edited by Goatman455, 18 January 2009 - 10:39 PM.

Nobody claimed anyone was stupid here, I fear I started all this trying to add credibility to my claim about computer problems by stating that I actually fix them for a living (and was educated to do so). I figure this shows, that I probably (notice, probably) not some crazy lunatic who just trolls the boards for his own amusement while clouding the issue selfishly for countless others. Instead, I am a game lover, and a GTA lover who was very let down by this obviously rushed port.

BTW, I don't want to further all this but LSD, that was pretty funny, everyone is being so rational with him, despite him not giving us credit for at least our point of views I think he deserved a jokingly verbal lashing, well done.

I just want to prevent this kind of issue from happening, and it is in our hands not to let them do this to us, if we make smart decisions and ask the right questions.

That said, I am going back to enjoying the double patched and now thankfully working (though still no promised SLI) GTA IV PC. See, that's really what hurts so much, I love and play the game all the time, and knowing what it's potential could be, and then seeing it come out like this just hurts me deep as a gamer.

It's like taking the best cut of Fillet Mignon and making a burnt hamburger from it.

nitro_hedgehog
  • nitro_hedgehog

pc gamer

• Members

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Killuminati91 @ Jan 18 2009, 22:13)
im actually a l4d myself but to be honest: im sick of the campaigns... Its just so boring after the 1000th time,
even though its fun to own some idiots when playing infected... Lets hope valve doesnt let us down like everyone else does

in the past 10 years valve has yet to lets us down gamewise. but they are consistently late. http://developer.val...wiki/Valve_Time <<< record of their lateness. but that is soon forgiven because we always receive quality content, and fast (usually) patches that go directly to us instead of smoldering weeks on end at microsoft for "approval." at least valve knows how to make a DRM that is both non-invasive and actually has provided a tremendous challenge against people who pirate valve games. just goes to show that they know what their customers want AND they know exactly how to do it at little to no inconvenience to customers. the result? their sales on pc AND console are HUGE. and the fat happy customers enjoy their fully optimized games tounge.gif . poor R*, it's no wonder they are so quiet.

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

This seems like an interesting article.

ZaCkOX
  • ZaCkOX

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (sethpenguin @ Jan 18 2009, 23:58)

Ya I also read the comments.

lol.gif

Rockstar, Why?!! WHY?? Quit the silence! Oh you won't? I see.... sneaky2.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (ZaCkOX @ Jan 19 2009, 02:05)
QUOTE (sethpenguin @ Jan 18 2009, 23:58)

Ya I also read the comments.

lol.gif

Rockstar, Why?!! WHY?? Quit the silence! Oh you won't? I see.... sneaky2.gif

Are you new here, mate? biggrin.gif

R* has a masters degree in keeping silence a.k.a. silenzio stampa a.k.a. mums the word.

foxtrot1213
  • foxtrot1213

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

great assessment.

OT: Do you also analyze women too? biggrin.gif This is good for a long term relation but for short them relation...let's be interested in the hole of generation

livilaNic
  • livilaNic

Got Milf?

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (foxtrot1213 @ Jan 19 2009, 06:08)
great assessment.

OT: Do you also analyze women too? biggrin.gif This is good for a long term relation but for short them relation...let's be interested in the hole of generation

My face hurts.

I love lamp.

Goatman455
  • Goatman455

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

I just wanted to say, all flame wars aside, theorists on this, including Hofstede tend to focus on the raw data, "long term does this, short term does this", but what about their motivations?

I say it boils straight down to it making people uncomfortable. Criticism is more immediately harmful in a short term culture because since there time window is so much smaller, it takes their complete focus at the moment, and is usually not an option they really wanted to think about (because the more short term a person is, the more they define themselves and reality by their immediate and current thoughts). On the other hand, the long term person has already thought about the possibility of failure, and perhaps even worried about it. They are ok at looking into the failure because they believe who they are is beyond the current moment. Short term give too much credence to the moment, long term, not enough.

Let me pause for a moment. This all sounds horribly stereotypically and one sided, and the reason for that is because IT IS. I am just throwing this out there for discussion, I by no means think that you could truly fit any one person in this mold, or that everyone in a short term culture will be short term, or even that every short term person only exhibits short term characteristics. We all display short and long term, we just focus on one side more than the other.

I was just wondering why they wouldn't want to deal with this issue, and the first real thing that came to mind is the fact that there are not many people that would want to deal with the flooded uproar this board has become, especially after working your ass off to get the game on on multiple systems in a short time frame. Still, while I can understand why they may not want to deal with this, I find it unacceptable, especially given my, and other fans loyalty to Rockstar.

I really hope all the stuff promised gets fixed and we eventually get this game in it's proper PC form (it is getting there, many improvements have been made already, but there is a long way to go). When the game is this good, people are going to buy it anyway.

crapinabox127
  • crapinabox127

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Jan 16 2009, 00:09)
Here you go with claiming GTA 4 is unplayable, not from where I am sitting I have been playing it just fine since it's launch yet you are here claiming you can't play it.

I have installed GTA 4, 3 times on 2 different PC's and have not encountered any problems, no memory leaks or anything. I will admit performance could be better but that is it. I have had GTA 4 running all day today, it's been going about 10ish hours now and not had one crash yet in the game. I could never do that with the appalling Fallout 3 which crashed at the drop of a hat. So from my perspective Fallout 3 is a pretty sh*tty port and the patch notes confirm that.

Good for you! now rockstar needs to make the game playable for everone else.

lugnut
  • lugnut

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (smoking6 @ Jan 18 2009, 18:36)
And for those claiming I have an Iq of 70, I've passed the mensa test.

Mensa is for insecure twats who've accomplished nothing but require something to brag about.

lugnut
  • lugnut

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (SativaHaze @ Jan 17 2009, 02:06)
And the whining continues. The game runs great here as I patiently await the next patch. Most people's systems are the problems.

And what, your success renders everyone else's experience insignificant? Shut the f*ck up.

Whatever happened to empathy? I can just hear you saying: "Darfur whiners -- I'm not being killed over here in North America, so everything must be okay!"

noid449
  • noid449

Englishman in The United States

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

question if the game runs great why waiting for a patch ?

rud
  • rud

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

And the whining continues. The game runs great here as I patiently await the next patch. Most people's systems are the problems.

I'm getting so sick of seeing and replying to comments like these. Oh well.

My system is well within specifications yet runs the game like crap. I built my PC myself, it's the 8th machine I have built and I've been building them for the last 13 years. I've always been a gamer, I know how NOT to buy an $8 motherboard and expect it to work well... I am well within specifications on this title and I can't get 30 frames per second on the lowest settings.

I to reformat my OS partition a few weeks after GTA IV came out, so I even got the chance to try it on a clean install, with no luck of course. Game runs like molasses on most hardware. No amount of pointing out how well it runs for you will make their product non-broken.

Goatman455
  • Goatman455

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (lugnut @ Jan 19 2009, 19:10)

And what, your success renders everyone else's experience insignificant? Shut the f*ck up.

Whatever happened to empathy? I can just hear you saying: "Darfur whiners -- I'm not being killed over here in North America, so everything must be okay!"

You can't aruge people's systems aren't fast enough when you don't even program SLI support.

Guess my overclocked qx9770 and 2x GTX 280 w/ 4gb ram in vista 64 isn't enough muscle for this game huh?

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

That all depends on what settings you are trying to run the game on. I have no doubt you probably expect to max the entire game out on that system and due to bottlenecks INHERENT to the PC you can't do that. However you won't accept that as an answer ohhhhh no in your mind you should be playing the game at 10 x the settings of the consoles despite the fact there is no PC with that amount of power.

ZaCkOX
  • ZaCkOX

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (Goatman455 @ Jan 19 2009, 23:03)

You can't aruge people's systems aren't fast enough when you don't even program SLI support.

Guess my overclocked qx9770 and 2x GTX 280 w/ 4gb ram in vista 64 isn't enough muscle for this game huh?

No because the code is bottleneck code. You can have a computer that is another 2 years from now. It won't make a difference. And yes we WILL STILL HAVE SLI AND CROSSFIRE in 2 years. So this game is really made for the future machines? I say your a big fat liar!

ZaCkOX
  • ZaCkOX

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

Here's some toliet reading for you Truck Trash, Chinese Dog Man, and Chum Charlie:

Toliet Reading, Made By Toliet People

Die hard fanboys!

CaptainDingo
  • CaptainDingo

Not actually a captain, or a dingo.

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:14 AM

There's just one thing I have to say. And that is, Rockstar already put themselves on the line, I don't think there's been "appalling silence".

December 6th 2008, Rockstar Toronto said:

"We are going to keep supporting Grand Theft Auto IV PC for a long time, so expect additional fixes and improvements in the future."
"We are going to keep supporting Grand Theft Auto IV PC for a long time, so expect additional fixes and improvements in the future."

We've got them on record as saying they plan on supporting us in the long term with fixes and improvements. So now we're just waiting to see them make good on that promise. As others have said, it's only been a month. If after 3 months we don't see a patch, then fine, consider yourselves officially lied to.

Just give it some time. I don't have any more faith in Rockstar's PC ports than you guys do, but we still have that statement to mull over for the time being.

ZaCkOX
  • ZaCkOX

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (CaptainDingo @ Jan 20 2009, 02:14)
There's just one thing I have to say. And that is, Rockstar already put themselves on the line, I don't think there's been "appalling silence".

December 6th 2008, Rockstar Toronto said:

We've got them on record as saying they plan on supporting us in the long term with fixes and improvements. So now we're just waiting to see them make good on that promise. As others have said, it's only been a month. If after 3 months we don't see a patch, then fine, consider yourselves officially lied to.

Just give it some time. I don't have any more faith in Rockstar's PC ports than you guys do, but we still have that statement to mull over for the time being.

We got them on record for a lot of things. However when I read them over and over, I just see lies. One statement that may be true will not save Rockstar. And it will not change the fact they lied with all the others.

LanceLongstiff
  • LanceLongstiff

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (babarian225 @ Jan 15 2009, 18:34)
Look Just wait for the GETAWAY 3 to be released

This got officially cancelled by Sony about six months ago. Not sure if anyone posted that in the last few pages.

smoking6
  • smoking6

f*cking lunatic

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:20 AM

when will you people face it that ur pile of sh*t you call a computer can't prosses the data GTA needs to run smooth? sad.gif and that you all are a minority.

LanceLongstiff
  • LanceLongstiff

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:31 AM

You're comparing the GTA4 failure to the Darfur genocide?

You sir, are a dickhead.

turbo1508
  • turbo1508

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE (smoking6 @ Jan 20 2009, 04:20)
when will you people face it that ur pile of sh*t you call a computer can't prosses the data GTA needs to run smooth? sad.gif and that you all are a minority.

Biggest failure by a well know company since rainbow six lockdown imo

Goatman455
  • Goatman455

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (ZaCkOX @ Jan 19 2009, 23:58)

No because the code is bottleneck code. You can have a computer that is another 2 years from now. It won't make a difference. And yes we WILL STILL HAVE SLI AND CROSSFIRE in 2 years. So this game is really made for the future machines? I say your a big fat liar!

I think you misunderstood. I was agreeing with you. Rockstar can't claim future proofing and then not support something like SLI. Or am I misunderstanding and were you just agreeing with me? Ok, I'm confused.

LanceLongstiff
  • LanceLongstiff

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:29 AM

I think somebody just needs a nap.

ZaCkOX
  • ZaCkOX

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE (Goatman455 @ Jan 20 2009, 06:23)
QUOTE (ZaCkOX @ Jan 19 2009, 23:58)

I think you misunderstood. I was agreeing with you. Rockstar can't claim future proofing and then not support something like SLI. Or am I misunderstanding and were you just agreeing with me? Ok, I'm confused.

I was calling Rockstar the big fat liar. They said it worked great and looked beautiful for the PC version. This was months before it even came out. And now we see the truth. Another lie of lies.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (CaptainDingo @ Jan 20 2009, 04:14)
We've got them on record as saying they plan on supporting us in the long term with fixes and improvements.

Yes, long term. What does it actually mean?

If they are so forth coming and open in nature, how the f*ck did they manage to keep silence on PC version of GTA for that long? Also, why didn't they just say "OK guys, we realize there are problems, but we are working on an performance update and we're going to release it. When we can not say, but please give us time." How much would that hurt?

Kurgen
  • Kurgen

Old Git

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

Stunning retort. Mom must be proud.

LSD T
  • LSD T

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

when will you people face it that ur pile of sh*t you call a computer can't prosses the data GTA needs to run smooth?   sad.gif   and that you all are a minority.

Again the intellectual quotient here is rising rapidly...
It's moronic comments like these from folk that don't appear to have the most basic of communicative skills that shout this out repeatedly, a la Truxter, chngdman and the rest of the rabble, then suddenly what little surprise pearls do we undercover...
[email protected] - 2GB DDR - HD4850 512MB
Benchmark (med/highest/10/30/70/[email protected]) : 27 Fps.

A few points to make from this information.
You machine looks rather sh*t
Your settings are low and it would look terribly sh*t given 1920x1200 at full details looks horrendously unimpressive and jagged.
Then the pièce de résistance...27FPS in the hysterically undemanding benchmark

27 f*cking poxy FPS?

Wow, they sure do make em stupider these days, what is it with these dolts criticising our inferior technical skills and terrible PC specs, while they glide about their mansions with their mind-controlled floating platforms to transport them wherever they will themselves to... soon the angel dust wears off and they suddenly realise they are running a sh*t slideshow with sh*t awful graphics details in their slums.

Question is, when they gonna wake up and realise why we (the majority) think they are talking like moronic lying c*nts?

One-time
  • One-time

One-man show

• Members

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (smoking6 @ Jan 20 2009, 11:20)
when will you people face it that ur pile of sh*t you call a computer can't prosses the data GTA needs to run smooth?  sad.gif   and that you all are a minority.

When will you face it that the game is a pile of sh*t and it's ported without a proper optimization and proper tests on various configurations of PC hardware? sad.gif And you people that run the game without problems are a minority.

Fixed that for ya mate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users