Photo

[Q] Model Sizes in GTA IV

8 replies to this topic
cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

Slamman's distant relative

• Members

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

Well, basically, I have been making a few models in readiness for when it is possible for us to put our own into GTA. Now, what I was wondering was, does anybody know the physical sizes that the models are in a modelling program, ie Sketchup 7 (Because that's what I use).
It's just I don't want to soend a lot of time on a model, put it into GTA IV and realise it is too big/ small and then scale it and possibly make it look not as good as it was originally. Because I know that when you model in San Andreas, the model scale is tiny compared to real measurements tounge.gif.
Any help or info will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
George

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Members

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (cold fusion 33 @ Jan 15 2009, 19:02)
Well, basically, I have been making a few models in readiness for when it is possible for us to put our own into GTA. Now, what I was wondering was, does anybody know the physical sizes that the models are in a modelling program, ie Sketchup 7 (Because that's what I use).
It's just I don't want to soend a lot of time on a model, put it into GTA IV and realise it is too big/ small and then scale it and possibly make it look not as good as it was originally. Because I know that when you model in San Andreas, the model scale is tiny compared to real measurements tounge.gif.
Any help or info will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
George

I guess they won't change much the size/scale from past GTA, so you can easily import a character model or a vehicle in your modelling program icon14.gif

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

• Members

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

Ah, that sounds cool man smile.gif.
Thanks for the help smile.gif.
CF33

rebel_36
  • rebel_36

dot connectah

• Members

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:26 AM

i dont understand why scaling it afterwards would decrease quality?

13-37
  • 13-37

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

• Members

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

the models from IV is so big than SA take a look of the comet ported for SA in IV it's so small but in SA their so big! confused.gif

Threepwood
  • Threepwood

Calm like a bomb.

• Members

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Virtual model size does NOT affect anything in matters of optical changes. If you size the car 5 virtual meters or 50 virtual meters, it is still the same mesh and model.

@1337: it is, because the converter sized it, not because it was that big in relation to San Andreas. It does not matter how big different game meshes are, you can resize them without any loss. Any.

rebel_36
  • rebel_36

dot connectah

• Members

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

normally, maybe sketchup is too sh*t for that thats why i was wondering

cold fusion 33
  • cold fusion 33

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

Well, I have never tried scaling anything in a modelling program, I have never had the need to, but I thought that if you textured it and then scaled it down the textures would look all squashed? Like when you try scaling down a crappy .bmp in MS Paint? tounge.gif.
Thanks for the help,
CF33

chngdman
  • chngdman

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

No, that won't happen. The model will retain its UV maps and you will be ok. Just scale it uniform (all axis) and not just on x, y, or z at one time. Do them all together so you maintain proportion, then nothing will squash on you colgate.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users