Photo

How to allocate more video RAM ?

1 reply to this topic
IceWolf729
  • IceWolf729

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

OK, so I finally got GTA IV and installed it onto my laptop, with horrible frame rates ranging between 15-17 FPS mad.gif . But then I noticed something: my Ati Radeon X1350 has only 128 MB dedicated video memory, however I still have 763 MB shared system memory. My question is as follows: Is there a way of allocating more video memory out of the shared memory, and if there is, does someone know how to do it ? I would like to allocate another 128 MB to my video card so it would play GTA IV better. I have my laptop configuration here :
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
2 GB RAM
ATi Radeon X1350 with 128 MB RAM (I thought at first it had 256, but it didn't)
120 GB of free HD space
Thanks in advance biggrin.gif !

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

First of all, you can only allocated system RAM to graphics cards if the card in question is a HyperMemory card. Secondly, moving more RAM to your graphics card won't really help anything due to the fact that, in this case, it's your graphics processor that is underpowered to run GTA4. Also, system RAM is (by comparison) very slow so it probably isn't even full now so more won't help.

That said, on the off chance that it will help, the standard procedure to change it is: Boot into your BIOS (right when the computer starts, press your BIOS button [usually delete, but could be F10, it will say on the boot screen]), now you just have to poke around a bit or consult your manual that came with your PC. If you cannot find your manual, type [Computer manufacturer + model number + manual] into google.

I can't stress this enough DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTING TO WHICH YOU DON'T KNOW IT'S PURPOSE!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users