» «
Photo

Reinserting alpha ?

6 replies to this topic
Costar
  • Costar

Homie

• Members

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:33 PM Edited by Costar, 12 January 2009 - 04:03 PM.

I have psp cs3 extended, when I opened a png it shows up w/ a "checkerboard" like transparency, is this whats callt the "alpha -layer" ?

If so, how do you put it back in there after removing it.
I couldnt edit it properly in the state it was in, so I right clickt the layer in the tab and selected "flatten image", doing this removed the checkerboard effect and I was able to edit...

I can undo "flatten image" in the history tab, but not w/ out it undoing all of my changes that took place after flattening..

The only neat side effect was that having the image "opaque", is being able to smoke or (blackout) these lenses (the light still shines through)

http://img396.images...edlensesvw5.jpg

The rear
http://img61.imagesh...kout2ctscr7.jpg

Lights working
http://img388.images...ghtsworkvg4.jpg

Anyways, I tried the help topics in psp, dint help, they mostly spoke on "Illustrator" and flattening frames .. I'm still googling, so if anyone has any helpful suggestions I'd appreciate it, Ty.

Krailer
  • Krailer

<3 fat chicks

• Members

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:11 PM Edited by Krailer, 12 January 2009 - 07:48 PM.

I'm not familiar with PSP, so I can't help you there.

Some programs like TXD Workshop allow you to import/export .TGA and .PNG images and see its alpha channel (or create it, if it doesn't have one).

The image for the alpha is usually a b&w or gray scaled image. White and black colors are used for solid and transparent areas, respectively. You can also use different gray scales in the alpha channel to increase/reduce the image opacity.

I'd give you more instructions on how to do it with TXD Workshop (provided you still have the original/unmodified image to extract the alpha channel), but I don't have it in the PC I'm using so I can't test it right now.

EDIT:

Ok, here's how to do it with TXD Workshop:

1-Start TXD Workshop, go to "File" and create new 32bit image.
2-Go to "Properties" and check the box to enable "Alpha is used". Leave the compression box unchecked, and click Ok.
2-Select "Mixed View" and import the original PNG.
3-Select "Image" and import the modified PNG (NOTE: The image must have the same filename as the original).
4-Select "Mixed View" and export the new PNG, which should now have the modified image with the original alpha channel.

If you do it right, it should work.

Costar
  • Costar

Homie

• Members

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:27 AM

Ty very much Krailer for the link and tips! I will try that biggrin.gif

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Krailer @ Jan 12 2009, 19:11)
I'm not familiar with PSP, so I can't help you there.

Some programs like TXD Workshop allow you to import/export .TGA and .PNG images and see its alpha channel (or create it, if it doesn't have one).

The image for the alpha is usually a b&w or gray scaled image. White and black colors are used for solid and transparent areas, respectively. You can also use different gray scales in the alpha channel to increase/reduce the image opacity.

I'd give you more instructions on how to do it with TXD Workshop (provided you still have the original/unmodified image to extract the alpha channel), but I don't have it in the PC I'm using so I can't test it right now.

EDIT:

Ok, here's how to do it with TXD Workshop:

1-Start TXD Workshop, go to "File" and create new 32bit image.
2-Go to "Properties" and check the box to enable "Alpha is used". Leave the compression box unchecked, and click Ok.
2-Select "Mixed View" and import the original PNG.
3-Select "Image" and import the modified PNG (NOTE: The image must have the same filename as the original).
4-Select "Mixed View" and export the new PNG, which should now have the modified image with the original alpha channel.

If you do it right, it should work.

kriler thats GTA IV not GTA SA,VC,lll
You cant use TXD workshop

Krailer
  • Krailer

<3 fat chicks

• Members

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:51 PM

That would be true if Costar wanted to create or edit a GTA IV texture archive, but he just wanted to add alpha mask to an existing PNG image.

TXD Workshop can import and export TGA/PNG/BMP images, so it can be used for that purpose with GTA IV, and with any other game that uses those image formats.

bikerjim_uk
  • bikerjim_uk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

you should be able to edit the png fine in PSP, you must be doing something wrong.
Look for alpha channel in help, not image flattening

Herne
  • Herne

Coffee Fiend

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

I don't understand why you can't edit with the alpha intact?

By PSP do you mean paint shop pro or photoshop peesomethinsomething?

How about instead of useless in-game shots you post some screenshots from "PSP CS3".
You could maybe even show us what you're trying to do?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users