Photo

Cannot Find 640x480 Video Mode!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic
GeekBait
  • GeekBait

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:08 AM Edited by GeekBait, 09 January 2009 - 02:17 AM.

When i try to run this game i get "Cannot Find 640x480 Video Mode!"
I cant set my graphics card that low of a resolution...
I get that message as soon as i click the icon, so i cant switch it ingame.
I have the highest version on the driver, so dont suggest that.
Maybe if i can run it windowed it would be 640x480, but not fullscreen.
I tried adding "-window" at the end of the target, but that didnt work.

Any Ideas?

My Pc is a Lenovo T61 With Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphics, the nvidia control panel lets me set a custom resolution, but when i set it to 640x480 i get the same error.

EDIT:
Just tried that 3DAnalyze program with "Force Windowed Mode" But i get the same error.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

Check your GTA user files in you my documents-- see if you have a .set file in there... if so delete it.

Try setting the card again to the low resolution and start the game again and see if that does it-- I don't think it will though-- as it sounds like a conflict between the game and the card... game is recognising something.

Do you have the latest driver for the card--

I'm moving this to troubleshooting... there is a pinned thread there with all the info you should post in a help thread... please read that and post all the requested info..

SPuds...

GeekBait
  • GeekBait

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

I have the latest driver. I never ran the game before i just got it, so the .set file is not there. Maybe if someone could send me one of those with at least 800x600 resolution, it will work...

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (GeekBait @ Jan 9 2009, 07:52)
I have the latest driver. I never ran the game before i just got it, so the .set file is not there. Maybe if someone could send me one of those with at least 800x600 resolution, it will work...

The chances of you finding a set file with the exact same system configuration settings and driver versions as you is probably 0.00001%. And even still, chances are it won't work.

What's your desktop resolution and monitor refresh rate? Have you tried changing them?

Also, it'd be a good idea to try reinstalling the game if you haven't done that already.

GeekBait
  • GeekBait

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:14 AM

The problem is, the gta-vc.exe file tries to put my screen res to 640x480, and since my graphic card doesnt have that option normally it just exits.... I was messing with Win32DASM and i found where it checks for 640x480, but i dont know what to do from there.
I need som1 who makes those no-cd cracks to edit that file for me. Or i need nvidia to update the driver to include 640x480.

The 640x480 check is programed directly into the gta-vc.exe, so i couldnt just edit a config file.

And yes i tried everything you mentioned, my pc is good enough to run crysis, on about medium-low settings. It would have no problem running this game, if it wasnt for the graphic card not supporting 640x480.

I can use the Nvidia Control Panel and create a custom resolution and that works. But the game still checks the original resolutions that the graphic card supports and closes down.

Im asking for help on the nvidia forums, but i doubt they would update the driver just for me sad.gif

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:31 PM Edited by Spuds725, 09 January 2009 - 02:13 PM.

We do not allow discussion of or sharing of a NO-CD crack on this forum-- so please don't ask about that again... it is against our no Warez rule.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

What OS do you have? Have you tried running the game in Windows 98 compatibility mode?

GeekBait
  • GeekBait

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

My graphic card doesnt support 640x480.
Thats the problem, not anything else....
Try getting on a better computer with a better graphic card and look.
They support the higher resolutions like 1680x1050 but they hardly have any of the lower ones.
So i need Nvidia to update the driver.

So basicly you guys cant help me, unless you know of a way to force my graphic card into 640x480 so that the game would load.

<Floyd>
  • <Floyd>

GTA Modder

• Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:47 AM Edited by <Floyd>, 10 January 2009 - 01:50 AM.

My graphic card doesnt support 640x480.
Thats the problem, not anything else....
Try getting on a better computer with a better graphic card and look.
They support the higher resolutions like 1680x1050 but they hardly have any of the lower ones.
So i need Nvidia to update the driver.

So basicly you guys cant help me, unless you know of a way to force my graphic card into 640x480 so that the game would load.

-windowed -height 480 -width 640

run it in a window and your computer will have no problem supporting it and access the nvidia control panel to make custom resoltions if possible

cb3cb3
  • cb3cb3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:21 AM

I have the exact exact same problem. the same message box, the same laptop. however, i am not good with computers, so could someone please guide me through possible solutions in laymens terms. also to the original poster, if you fixed the problem, let me know how.

GeekBait
  • GeekBait

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:04 AM

cb3cb3, if i figure it out ill post here. Unless u want me to email you, if so paste ur email here.

Im going to reinstall the game and try what Floyd said. Ill post if that works.

GeekBait
  • GeekBait

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:20 AM

Nope, didnt work.

I told it to run as if it was WinXP
I also clicked the run in 640x480 mode
It changed to that res but i still got the error box.

The only solution i can think of is to hack the game exe, but i shouldnt talk about that on these forums.

GeekBait
  • GeekBait

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:31 AM

F*** YEAH!!!

cb3 I f***ing did it, I cracked it. Im so excited!!!!!

I know its against the forum rules to talk about this, but it will help anyone having this problem.

All i did was right click and under the compatablity tab i checked
"Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution"

Then i followed a No-CD crack guide.

Here is how the gta-vc.exe works:
The program checks for 640x480
If it there it JUMPS to a new line of code skipping the Error Msgbox
So if it isnt supported it just reads the next line which is the Error Msgbox
So i just make it JUMP regardless if it is there or not.

This will work on my Lenovo T61 & cb3cb3's (He said he had the same one)
If Gta Forums wants to have the file as a fix i can send it to you guys. I will make a step by step video of everything i did for proof that it is not a virus, if you wish.

cb3cb3 post ur email and ill send it to you.

I havent tested it enough to determine if its stable or not, but it loaded 3 times in a row perfectly.

Im off to play, ill check back soon to get ur email and send it to u cb3.

cb3cb3
  • cb3cb3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:03 AM Edited by Spuds725, 10 January 2009 - 12:34 PM.

Removed CB's email address-- probably too late-- enjoy your spam.

GeekBait
  • GeekBait

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:28 AM Edited by GeekBait, 10 January 2009 - 05:35 AM.

Ok i sent it to you, email me back if it works smile.gif

EDIT:
The email didnt go through. It returned to me with a "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏"

Are you sure that is your email? Type it again or a different one.

EDIT AGAIN:
It says it didnt go through because gmail thought it was supisious.
The File is not a virus, scan it all you want before unzipping it.
Do you have a yahoo or hotmail?

I guess i could put it on like rapidshare or somthing.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:04 AM

Congrats GeekBait on getting the game to run. But I think it'd be better if you guys take this to the PMs. Also, it is not advisable to post your email on public boards. The spam bots will pick it up and spam your inbox in no time.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Jan 9 2009, 08:31)
We do not allow discussion of or sharing of a NO-CD crack on this forum-- so please don't ask about that again... it is against our no Warez rule.

angry.gif angry.gif

Removed CBs email address (spambots have already grabbed it I'm sure)...

Re-locked thread

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users