Photo

[Q]Converting .MDL files from other games

7 replies to this topic
lessthan3
  • lessthan3

Intensity In Ten Cities

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

How possible would it be to use .mdl files from other games to replace stuff in GTAIV?
Since CSS has alot of weapons and such it would be useful if you could just convert those models to work here.

Because everyone probably wants something, and the modellers can't make everything, if something was already done by someone else, provided they had the author's permission ofc, they could use that.

jos116
  • jos116

New account: DaBeast.

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Im sorry, but its not allowed to covert models from other games to any GTA and release it. Why? Because many people see it as ripping models (claiming you made them). Also if you release it here, it can cause you a ban.

Greets,
Jos

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:28 PM Edited by L0uNGeR, 08 January 2009 - 08:33 PM.

Should be possible by importing them into a 3D and then exporting them to proper IV format (when an exporter is available). However, bone structures and the like will most likely be incompatible.
Just give it time and eventually it will happen.

QUOTE (jos116 @ Jan 8 2009, 21:25)
Im sorry, but its not allowed to covert models from other games to any GTA and release it. Why? Because many people see it as ripping models (claiming you made them). Also if you release it here, it can cause you a ban.

Greets,
Jos

That's not an answer to his question, and besides that:

1) he said nothing about releasing
2) he said "provided they had the author's permission ofc"

It's not about whether it is allowed to do so, it's about getting the information and tools together, like exporters for 3DSMAX.

lessthan3
  • lessthan3

Intensity In Ten Cities

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

When you look at the models of weapons with Spark, it doesn't look like they have any bones, they're just floating models.
Since you don't have any first person view, aren't they just like props Niko holds?

L0uNGeR
  • L0uNGeR

Ya, that's what I said.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

I think weapons have only one or two bones. But they should be there.

Shadow-Link
  • Shadow-Link

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (L0uNGeR @ Jan 8 2009, 22:34)
I think weapons have only one or two bones. But they should be there.

If I remember correct the GTA III/VC/SA weapons don't contain bones. How do you know the IV weapons contain bones?

aru
  • aru

*poof*

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:34 AM

Just because SparkIV doesnt show them, doesnt mean they aren't there smile.gif

Niklas
  • Niklas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:32 PM Edited by Niklas, 17 January 2009 - 05:34 PM.

I would definetly like to see this happen. Of course these models wouldn't be able to be released for download, but anyone with the games could do it for themselves if there was a way to do it. There are plenty of tools available to get all Source based models into 3ds max (check tools available at http://www.wunderboy.org), so it'd just be a matter of getting them into gta 4. Personally I'd be interested specifically in the player models, to replace them with pedestrians or npcs/niko.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users