Photo

Making a Feature Film

9 replies to this topic
craze08
  • craze08

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway

• Members

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hi, I am making a full length movie and want to know whether I need to patent it or trademark it in anyway.

I am also using a studio-type like name and wanted to know whether this needs to be patented as well. I want the film and the company to have copyright so people don't steal it etc (and various other obvious reasons to copyright something).

Any help is appreciated as I have no idea of what to do or how to go about this process. Thanks!

If it helps I am from the UK.

Also is this right place to post the topic?

GodfatherITB
  • GodfatherITB

Dar?

• Members

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

I don't personally know much about that kind of thing, but I googled it and found this video. Can't tell you if it's much help cause I don't have any speakers on my computer at the moment, but it's only about 2 minutes so it can't be much of a waste to sit through.

http://www.ehow.com/...right-film.html

Hope that helps. You might just want to try googling what you're asking anyway, though. You'll probably get the answers you're looking for faster than you would waiting for one of us to give you a straight answer.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

You're entitled to copyright as soon as you create something. You don't have to pay for that. Register your script with your local writer's guild for extra peace of mind. You'll probably have to pay for that. (10-20 bucks)

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Jan 7 2009, 14:17)
You're entitled to copyright as soon as you create something. You don't have to pay for that. Register your script with your local writer's guild for extra peace of mind. You'll probably have to pay for that. (10-20 bucks)

You've had a lot more experience and training with this than I (my experience is concerned mostly with music), but would you recommend he send a copy of the script to himself via registered mail as well?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:07 AM

That's one of those old stories that you always hear about, but I've recently read that it's never actually been used in a legal battle, and doubtful whether it would hold up in court. Registration with an entity like a writer's guild will be much more beneficial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man's_copyright

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

Ahh I see. Yeah, it always sounded a little fishy to me.

craze08
  • craze08

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway

• Members

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (GodfatherITB @ Jan 7 2009, 01:55)
http://www.ehow.com/...right-film.html

Hope that helps. You might just want to try googling what you're asking anyway, though. You'll probably get the answers you're looking for faster than you would waiting for one of us to give you a straight answer.

Thanks! I watched the video and it was quite good for what I wanted to know.

Also, thanks to 'Otter' for you help. I have been reading up on copyright on the 'Intellectual Property Office' website. It does say on their that as soon as something is created it is copyrighted. I also read that I need to have proof of owning it etc. Not sure what proof this includes though.

This will probably make me look really stupid but what is a 'writer's guild', and do you know where I would be able to get the details etc of one of these in the UK?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

http://www.writersguild.org.uk/

Not a stupid question at all. A writer's guild is sort of like a writer's union; they band together and ensure fair payment for all the members, and work to secure employment for their members.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Just the various REGION system of DVD is set up for legalities on a global scale, and with regard to your local institutes, where you'd go in person to take care of matters would be with regard to local laws I suppose, but then you also have to look into global areas depending on distribution intent. The world seems small online, but in the product real-world, you'll have to explore the two areas where the law differs, I suspect.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

...what in the flying Jesus are you talking about?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users