Be honest here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic
TheTinselTot
  • TheTinselTot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

ok, im 15 and the game that i really want is gta4(obviously). Do you think i should be allowed it? And if not what do you think should be the rating?18 still? Or younger?

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:03 AM

I'm sure most members here were underage when they first played a GTA game. I was 12 when I first played GTA 1.

I don't see the problem.

Bla_Bla_Bla
  • Bla_Bla_Bla

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

In australia its rated 15+

so, yeh

asai
  • asai

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

I am 42 and do not have any children, after the last attempt where my wife fell down the stairs till she miscarried, it is not likely, this is a question that thankfully i have not had to answer, well till now. thanks alot. smile.gif
As a 15 year old soon to be person but not yet in the eyes of the law it is totally up to your parental unit(s). Me it would depend on a few things like how responsible you are, if your mother did not stand to close to a radiation source that rendered you a moron barely able to keep from drowning in your own spit so that you would realize that GTA (insert real city here) should not be played, if played there is no respawn, and if i needed something to give you, so that when you don't toe the line i can take it away again, probably yes. As i said it is probably a good thing i am not and hopefully will never be a parent:).

Asai

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

Your parents should decide that. I think it would be better if 18+ was a recommendation, because there are 15 year olds that are alot more mature than 18 year olds.

xSilentDeath
  • xSilentDeath

Dead Inside

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:46 AM Edited by xSilentDeath, 05 January 2009 - 02:00 PM.

I'm 13 and I play it so yeah
icon14.gif
All my games in the PS3 are 18+

Bla_Bla_Bla
  • Bla_Bla_Bla

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (xSilentDeath @ Jan 5 2009, 11:46)
I'm 13 and I play it so yeah
icon14.gif

you must be an anonying lil rat

just kidding lol.gif

TonyClifton
  • TonyClifton

PR Spokesman for Tony Prince

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

Tinsel Tot: My oldest grandaughter is nearly 14 (with a high IQ and is more like 16). And tells me that she plays on a friend's PS3 and is allowed to play some parts of GTA IV, because there are other parts not particularly suitable -so it gets effectively censored down to a 12 rating. She does get alot of the satire. And is more interested in driving the cars and choppers - not bothered about weapons at all. She's heard all that language in the school playground, although she's been brought up in a respectable household so knows the score. It is a difficult one, because most people argue about the violence, but then some films rated 12 have casual violence, language and sexual innuendo, so what can you do? You probably are OK for the game, but not all young teenagers are, and so you have to be careful. However, I wouldn't say the same thing about a game like Manhunt.... icon14.gif

Shaqz
  • Shaqz

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

Tbh a 10 year old should be allowed to play GTA, I think its more likely kids getting influenced by films more than video games... I'm 18 by the way the joke is I was ID'd when buying the game! I was like wtf Isn't my beard proof enough. Think the sales dude just wanted to take the piss.

TheTinselTot
  • TheTinselTot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

thanks for your input so far, its pretty much exactly what i expected

KeyEmYay
  • KeyEmYay

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

OMG YOURE 14 AND PLAY GTA 4 YOURE GONNA BECOME A MURDERER OMFG OMFG OMFG !!!!!!

Nah just kidding... Thoose 18+ ratings are useless anyways. Children will get the game they want in one way or another

KLLRDG
  • KLLRDG

Poot

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

If you have a deep(ish) voice then I don't mind. There are too many little kids with their hight voices and parents in the background playing GTA, and running around acting either pathetically black or really white...But then again, why ask us? If you can't ask yourself these questions and answer honestly you aren't mature enough to play a game like GTA IV...

Yeah f*ck it, it's a fun game. I'm 15, my parents don't give a sh*t what I play, not because I'm spoiled, but because they know I'm mature and are sure a game like this won't affect me negatively.

Mr.Ruthless
  • Mr.Ruthless

Comedian

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'm 14 and GTA didn't turn me into a psychotic mass murderer, so why not? wink.gif

AjaxWarrior
  • AjaxWarrior

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Jan 5 2009, 10:03)
I'm sure most members here were underage when they first played a GTA game. I was 12 when I first played GTA 1.

I don't see the problem.

I beat you at that point. I was 6 when i played GTA 1. My grandma found a copy of the game on the street and gave it to me. If she only knew what it was she gave me devil.gif

OT: If you are 15 then sure! Go ahead! But if you are sensitive to blood and foul language then GLHF wink.gif

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

NO you should join the service get a few kills under your belt then you can play.
  • Tonyduzit likes this

Jordy.
  • Jordy.

Matty?

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

I played my first GTA game when I was 8 or 9 years old, and as far as I'm concerned, I haven't killed anyone!

It depends on the person really, if you can trust yourself not to be encouraged to imitate the game then by all means get it. But don't hesitate to buy it because you think it'll take control over your mind. If you're sensible and know right from wrong then you won't feel the need to copy the game in real life.

Only a few kids in the world have been influenced by a game (or so they say anyway) and committed a crime, and they're either stupid or lying so they can put the blame on something else.

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

At the end of the day the EMO f*ckers are gonna go nuts and shoot classmates anyway. All GTA has to do with it is that they try and use that as the get out of jail card, or to give the parents something to blame other than their own failures as parents selves.

In short, spineless buck passing bastards blame GTA for everything.

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

This game and all others like it are creations of the DEVIL all who play this game will become insane(organ music in the back ground)if you stop now you will still save your soul AMEN brother and if you cant stop playing with you'll go blind (loss track there) but if you really cant stop playing SEND me $24.95 for my book and teach your self how to stop.AMEN BROTHER

Bob the DVD
  • Bob the DVD

pinstripe

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Jordy. @ Jan 5 2009, 16:55)
I played my first GTA game when I was 8 or 9 years old, and as far as I'm concerned, I haven't killed anyone!

It depends on the person really, if you can trust yourself not to be encouraged to imitate the game then by all means get it. But don't hesitate to buy it because you think it'll take control over your mind. If you're sensible and know right from wrong then you won't feel the need to copy the game in real life.

Only a few kids in the world have been influenced by a game (or so they say anyway) and committed a crime, and they're either stupid or lying so they can put the blame on something else.

yeah me too.
Its all about your level of maturity. If you can't handle the violence then you shouldn't be playing this game.

Say you run over a ped(in game), If you get WAY to exited about it then you might not want to play.

Also, make sure what you do in the game doesn't transfer to what you do in RL.

because one time I killed an old lady one time while asking a jamaican to go drinking with me, which ended up in drunk driving....

creat3d22
  • creat3d22

Habs fan, for about 2 weeks every year...

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Some simple questions are in order:

-Are you mature enough to understand that you should NEVER pull out a gun and shoot a prostitute to get your money back?

-... to understand that in real life, you can't smash through your windshield, hit a tree head on, get shot a few times then get back in your car with barely a few scratches?

-... to understand that the world of GTA is a SATIRE of the real word?

If you answered yes on all 3, I guess you're mature enough to play the game.
I was about 10 years old when I played GTA 1 and it didn't screw me up too much wink.gif

I would say that kids are infinitely more corrupted by movies and TV than simply playing video games... with games you know you're shooting at 3D models and such, while movies and TV fill your head up with misconceptions and prejudice (while growing up... you'll have to debug all of it later on).

Show this post to your parents, ask them to let you buy the game then tell 'em to never again rent a Hollywood movie or pay for cable tv. You'll be better off in the end, plus you'll have a great game! monocle.gif

HugoMarques
  • HugoMarques

Coffee Machine

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

I started playing GTA when I was 10.

Sometime later, I was play GTA: Vice City and my cousin saw it and asked me to borrow it.
So he started playing GTA: Vice City with the age of 2.

Guess what, he is a lovely human being and he is the smartest kid in his school.

KLLRDG
  • KLLRDG

Poot

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (HugoMarques @ Jan 5 2009, 21:01)
I started playing GTA when I was 10.

Sometime later, I was play GTA: Vice City and my cousin saw it and asked me to borrow it.
So he started playing GTA: Vice City with the age of 2.

Guess what, he is a lovely human being and he is the smartest kid in his school.

Your two year old cousin asked you to borrow GTA Vice City and learned how to play it?

My brother is 5 and he can play PS2, but he still has some trouble...But...A two year old?

4 Bagger
  • 4 Bagger

Malapropos

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

I was about 9 when I started playing GTA but I didn't go on it often.

Potato Boggle
  • Potato Boggle

Formerly ozzman1

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

I was 8 when I first played gta and other violent games like Duke Nukem and Body Harvest for the N64 and I'm 14 now.I don't see why the rating in the U.S. is 18+.It seems like some of the younger kids that play games are more mature than the 18 year olds because some of them that I know flip out and whine over the games so that shows maturity doesn't always come with age.

Hydro_PT
  • Hydro_PT

THE S.T.A.L.KE.R.

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:25 PM Edited by Hydro_PT, 05 January 2009 - 11:44 PM.

I was 10 when I start playing GTA III. The thing that I liked most doing on that game was pickingg up the tank, blowing up peds, cops and cars. And basically shot anything that was moving. biggrin.gif

Since then, I'm a very proud GTA fan! tounge.gif

I'm 18 now, and btw, I never imitated GTA actions. I'm not insane. devil.gif

PS: 8 years of GTA... no wait, 4 years playing GTA III, VC and SA and 4 years waiting for IV. xD

The Stoneman
  • The Stoneman

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

I was 11 when I started playing GTA Vice City, I've been addicted to all the GTA's ever since and I'm 15 now.... That being said, I have never go into a fight in my life and I have never tried to imitate anything in a GTA game.

Don't listen to your parents or the media, video game are f*cking fun.

Bla_Bla_Bla
  • Bla_Bla_Bla

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

I was around 7 when i first played GTA3

then when i was 9 my mum got me a PS2 with GTA3

She didnt really care me playing it

onlainari
  • onlainari

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:54 PM

I think even 15 is a bit young to be owning gta. I don't have a problem with them playing it (maybe their older cousin has it) but it's a bad idea for it to be all they do after school.

Rachinator
  • Rachinator

GTAV Here we come!

• Members

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (onlainari @ Jan 5 2009, 23:54)
I think even 15 is a bit young to be owning gta. I don't have a problem with them playing it (maybe their older cousin has it) but it's a bad idea for it to be all they do after school.

Ok then Jack... so do you spell Thompson with or without a P?

Lol... anyway if you can see the fact that you holding a controller not an ACTUAL knife then play all the GTA games you want and enjoy... but if you see a knife in a game and that immediately makes you think "hmm... i should re enact this cos im just gonna spawn at the hospital 6 hours later if i get shot or ill just lose my knife and a thousand dollars and respawn at the police station but i can do some taxi missions ( tounge2.gif ) and earn a thousand dollars back" If your that dropped on head/smoking/drinking/drugs pregnancy addeled... then you shouldnt play GTA... stick with 'The soft happy bunny bakes a cake'

Mr_Prickles
  • Mr_Prickles

sixteen-year-old

• Members

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:15 AM Edited by Mr_Prickles, 06 January 2009 - 12:20 AM.

QUOTE (Shaqz @ Jan 5 2009, 13:07)
Tbh a 10 year old should be allowed to play GTA, I think its more likely kids getting influenced by films more than video games... I'm 18 by the way the joke is I was ID'd when buying the game! I was like wtf Isn't my beard proof enough. Think the sales dude just wanted to take the piss.

I have a 15 year old buddy of mine who basically grew a beard out just for the release of Gears of War 2, and of all of the guys who went with him (5 or 6), he was the only one not to get I.D.'ed.

Moral of the story: Facial hair says nothing.

I'm only 16 now, so obviously I'm heavily biased on the topic. The majority of teenagers can differentiate reality from fantasy, and that ought to be proof against slipping out of sanity to the point where you feel the need to recreate violent acts from video games. I've been wading through blood and bodies in Grand Theft Auto since I was 10, and I've never found myself seriously contemplating any violent acts. The thought that people are making the claim that video games influence [SANE] people into committing crimes is absolutely absurd.

[EDIT] And on the topic of that buddy of mine, he grew it out quite a bit, all of the other guys were basically shaven, small stubble or whatever, and the clerk must have figured that my friend was at least above 20 if he wasn't asked for any type of I.D.

[EDIT2] ESRB rated the game 17+, not 18+. Assuming you live in the same U.S. that's just south of Canada, the ESRB rating is the one you're talking about. Australia's ratings board has rated it 15+, and PEGI (Europe) has it rated as 18+.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users