Photo

[Q] Importing edited textures

14 replies to this topic
frost156
  • frost156

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Based on the mods that are available that changes Niko's appearance, I know that changing the textures are definitely doable.

My issue is this: I use SparkIV to extract a WTD texture to PNG format. Then I use photoshop to edit the texture to my personal taste or whatnot. I save the PNG file and then change the extension back to WTD. But when I import it back using SparkIV, it crashes the game when I start it up. I can't even preview the edited texture in SparkIV versus the other textures.

I know if I export to PNG, then rename the file back to WTD and import it back in without editing it, it works. Either I need to save it a certain way in photoshop, or use a different texture editing program altogether, or there's something else I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

Toez
  • Toez

Bigger Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (frost156 @ Jan 1 2009, 08:20)
Based on the mods that are available that changes Niko's appearance, I know that changing the textures are definitely doable.

My issue is this: I use SparkIV to extract a WTD texture to PNG format. Then I use photoshop to edit the texture to my personal taste or whatnot. I save the PNG file and then change the extension back to WTD. But when I import it back using SparkIV, it crashes the game when I start it up. I can't even preview the edited texture in SparkIV versus the other textures.

I know if I export to PNG, then rename the file back to WTD and import it back in without editing it, it works. Either I need to save it a certain way in photoshop, or use a different texture editing program altogether, or there's something else I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

I'm using photoshop to edit textures fine. I simply to File>>Save As and select the default .png, so special features or anything (Although I use the default textures and just paint over them). I use OpenIV, you could try that and see if you still have the problems.

frost156
  • frost156

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

Just tried OpenIV and it still crashes the game. icon13.gif

Anyone else have this issue or uses photoshop to edit textures? I'm using Vista x64 if that helps.

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

You're not supposed to rename the png into wtd. You gotta use the "edit" function on the wtd in either SparkIV and just import your edited png into that.

frost156
  • frost156

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

I couldn't find an edit function in SparkIV so I used OpenIV. I scroll over the WTD file I want to replace, then go to edit>>replace, and select the PNG file I already edited. Unfortunately, my game still crashes when I select that particular outfit.

Does anyone have a step-by-step process to make this work?

Intosia
  • Intosia

I'm random! ^^

• Members

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (frost156 @ Jan 1 2009, 15:30)
I couldn't find an edit function in SparkIV so I used OpenIV. I scroll over the WTD file I want to replace, then go to edit>>replace, and select the PNG file I already edited. Unfortunately, my game still crashes when I select that particular outfit.

I edited my phone theme (background, animation), worked fine for me? Do you use a PNG file? Non-interleaced?

frost156
  • frost156

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:25 AM

yea i did.

JostVice
  • JostVice

realtime, not prerendered

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:12 AM

Just asking, did you bypass the game's lock for modding? The game will crash if anything (ever the smaller file) is edited, so yeah, you need to fix this using the XLiveLess, or Aru's magic method.

simkas
  • simkas

That guy

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

See the "view" function in SparkIV? Well, look a few milimeters to the right.

MASTERPAIN
  • MASTERPAIN

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

You need to have the newest version of Spark IV. I think it's 0.5.2 where importing pngs is possible. I've done it with my mobile and some suites for niko... and it all worked after editing original textures and renew them with photoshop. So it should work without crashes. Are you pressing the rebuild button after editing?

frost156
  • frost156

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

i'll try it out with the new version of sparkIV (hopefully i already don't have the update version) and get back to you on that.

frost156
  • frost156

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

nvm it works perfect now happy.gif

i just needed to update sparkIV. thanks man

MASTERPAIN
  • MASTERPAIN

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

welcome

Dhatz
  • Dhatz

editor of GTA.CZ/GTA4

• Members

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Intosia @ Jan 1 2009, 16:31)
I couldn't find an edit function in SparkIV so I used OpenIV.  I scroll over the WTD file I want to replace, then go to edit>>replace, and select the PNG file I already edited.  Unfortunately, my game still crashes when I select that particular outfit.

I edited my phone theme (background, animation), worked fine for me? Do you use a PNG file? Non-interleaced?

where are the phone themes?

FunGt
  • FunGt

GTA-Modding.com

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Dhatz @ Jan 3 2009, 15:15)
where are the phone themes?

pc\data\cdimages\scripttxds.img>phone3d_hq_private0.wdt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users