Photo

Can I still use my saves?

5 replies to this topic
blader0314
  • blader0314

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

I borrowed my cousin's Grand Theft Auto Vice City(Greatest Hits) and I'm buying the trilogy pack. Will my save work?

The Stoneman
  • The Stoneman

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

Yes, if you have you PS2 memory card or you play it on your Xbox.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:50 AM

It's still the same game. Saves should work as long as they're on the same console, to the best of my knowledge.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:35 PM Edited by Spuds725, 01 January 2009 - 05:17 PM.

I do know the original VC release game saves are NOT compatible with later versions--- I will have to check to see if those two are compatible with each other...

Gimme a minute...

//EDIT//

This explains some differences in versions however doesn't mention the versions you mentioned-- when was the greatest hits version purchased-- if about the same time or after the 3-pack was released then you are likely ok-- I don't believe they made any changes after the "haitian" friendly version came out-- the 3-pack came out after this so just check to see if your greatest hits version is haitian friendly or not--- more info on how to tell the differences can be found at the following link--- if that link does not work, try copy and pasting it to your toolbar.

if you still have your greatest hits disk-- what is the problem?? -- just switch the disks (if you want to resale your game disk or something)

Spuds...

From gamefaqs.com http://www.gamefaqs....le/561545/28209

If you try to load a game save from the Original into the (Original) Double
Pack or Haitian-Friendly Version (Stand-Alone or Double Pack), the game will
respond with a "Load Failure" and then will restart the game.

If you try to load a game save from the (Original) Double Pack or
Haitian-Friendly Version (Stand-Alone or Double Pack) into the Original
Version, the game will crash at the "Loading Data" screen. This will also
happen if you try to use game saves from the (Original) Double Pack Version
with the Haitian-Friendly Version (Stand-Alone or Double Pack).

I should note that Stand-Alone means the non-Double Pack version of the disc.

The main reason for the incompatibility issue is because if you make any
significant changes to the main program the game saves from the old version
will no longer be recognized by the new version. This is an issue that is
unfixable.

//EDIT #2//

0========================================================0
| Haitian-Friendly Version (3.00) [Shorthand: HF Version] \
0==========================================================0

A lot of Haitian-Americans got mad about how they were represented in Vice
  City. They raised enough of a stink to get Rockstar to change Vice City to
  remove or alter references about Haitians within the game. This version was
  released in early 2004. This version comes as a Stand-Alone as well as
  being part of later runs of the Double Pack. The Double Pack Version may
  also be called the (Haitian-Friendly) Double Pack Version. The Greatest
  Hits copies of Vice City (PS2) are also Haitian-Friendly.

Looks like you will be ok-- the triple pack should be haitian friendly (since it wasn't released til about 2006) and this says the "greatest hits" version is too... the doublepack is the only one that has haitian friendly and non haitian friendly versions-- you definitely don't have the original vesrsion...

To sumarize there sounds as if there are 3 versions and these are NOT compatible with each other

#1 Original release
#2 First Double pack release (III & VC)-- not haitian friendly -- this included changes/fixes made to the PC & xbox versions.
#3 Haitian friendly release-- should include later double packs, haitian friendly stand alone, Greatest hits, & triple pack.

If you find it is not compatible can you post back here and I will clarify this-- and probably get hold of the guy that wrote that FAQ-- (I "text searched" that FAQ and "triple" is not mentioned)

Thanks

Spuds

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

I have just confirmed that the Greatest Hits saves ARE compatible with the Trilogy (triple) pack versions for PS2. All my saves were made using the Greatest Hits version, then when I loaded the Triple Pack version, my saves loaded great. Hope this helps.

btw, what's the difference between the regular versions and the "Haitian friendly" version? I thought only SA had a revised version(V.2).

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

There is a mission for Umberto Robina (Cuban)-- and in the mission you are supposed to kill all the Haitian Gang Members-- the text on the screen says-- Kill all the Haitians -- Some Haitian Groups a year after the game came out called this line racist-- and wanted the game recalled-- Take Two settled with them and just removed the line and a few other things from the game-- it was implied to anyone with a bit of common sense they meant the haitian gang members-- not the Haitian Poeple...

http://play.tm/news/...cist-vice-city/

http://www.google.co...racist&aq=f&oq=

the 2nd release I mentioned above-- incorporated a few changes into the PS2 version that were made in the xbox and PC versions....

thanks for the follow up... looks like I was right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users