Photo

How to increase FPS?

8 replies to this topic
deiviuxs
  • deiviuxs

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:09 AM

Hey guys. I just upgraded my video card and added some extra RAM hoping to get better experience for my GTA IV. I was able to increase some settings (used Auto Config) to not go above 'green' but the FPS is low (usually between 15 and 20). I don't want to lower all the settings down 'cause then I won't be using all the VRAM I have.
Is there a way to increase FPS so I can get at least 30fps? Oh, and I usually get 50fps indoors, but as soon as I go out it drops down drastically.

My specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 [32-bit] (with all the latest updates installed)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
4.00 GB of RAM
GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

I have the latest GTA IV patch I currently don't use any commandline. I just launch the game through RGSC.

My Graphics settings using "Auto Configure" (keeping it in 'green zone':
http://i9.photobucke...21-45-51-15.jpg

KeyEmYay
  • KeyEmYay

Rat

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:16 AM

You're gonna be needing to use the lowest possible settings on a Dual Core. Or try to overclock it to like 3.5...I heard it helps

I have an E6600 , 2GB RAM and a HD4850... + windows XP

Next thing to do is to deinstall vista

deiviuxs
  • deiviuxs

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:18 AM

How would I overclock my PSU and is it dangerous? Is this the only option to increasing FPS?

KeyEmYay
  • KeyEmYay

Rat

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:20 AM

Ehh yea I see you don't know much about overclocking so yeah I'm gonna suggest you to just leave it at that. wink.gif Can damage your hardware.

Try this performance fix: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=384473

Don't know if it helps. Otherwise you may need to get a Quad Core. A Q6600 is pretty cheap actually wink.gif

logitechdog
  • logitechdog

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

for you yes, you will need a new cpu fan, if you do it, and also you void your warranty, if the manufacture rate of overclock is done, so if anything goes wrong they will not fix it... which 3.5 probably would...

you got google infront of you, it is at your own risk to try it, but do not try it with a stock fan.... If anyone wants to point you to a overclock site or software they can... but I will not..

deiviuxs
  • deiviuxs

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:25 AM

I saw that fix earlier, but haven't tried it yet. Will try it tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

FRAGEYE
  • FRAGEYE

Rat

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:38 AM

You can overclock the cpu, you might get a stable overclock @ 3.0 ghz. When you bench games at 3.0 or over you notice a spead boost.

I'd not bother overclocking your g9 as it is plenty enough power.

Also if you was on xp pro you would get a 20% increase in spead straight away over vista.

Like others have said you have to be careful and know what you are doing. If you are not sure don't bother. Make sure to research your hardware before doing so.
Also monitor temps. My cpu can get an extra 400 mhz whats nearly half a gig. It also runs at a low temp when overclocked.
When cpu's/gpu's are made they are set at a factory setting was is fine for the chip. Some chips overclock better than others.

But another thing also make sure to have good cooling for your cpu.

deiviuxs
  • deiviuxs

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:45 AM

I don't think I want to overclock the CPU. Any other suggestions in increasing FPS?

benfp
  • benfp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

- Right click on your Windows bar,
- Click on Program Manager,
- Go to the services tab,
- Click on services,
- Stop every service whose state is 'Started' besides the ones impacting Audio
- Go to the process tab,
- On program manager, kill every program (and its children processes) besides:
o winlogon
o svchost
o crss
o System
o smss
o wininit
o services
o lsass
o lsasm

There you should get a Windows Vista faster than most XPs, whatever wise guys say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users